A skeptical look at the mediumship claims of Julie Beischel

PSI, Mediums, Ghosts, UFOs, Things That Go Bump In The Night
Whitedude
Poster

A skeptical look at the mediumship claims of Julie Beischel

Postby Whitedude » Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:09 pm

Hi folks,

Has anyone heard of Julie Beischel? Well she appears to be a spiritualist who has claimed "evidence" that mediums can contact the dead. She is the co-owner of a psychic organisation called The Windbridge Institute that can be found here:

http://www.windbridge.org/index.htm

You can read an interview with Bieschel here:

http://www.evidencefortheafterlife.com/ ... e-beischel

A video of her here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zbwa4EVfVjw

See her publications here:

http://www.windbridge.org/publications.htm

They are all published parapsychology or new age journals.

Any thoughts?
Last edited by Whitedude on Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
I am not longer posting on this forum. Too busy in real life with other interests.

Daedalus
Has More Than 5K Posts
Custom Title: Ave Atque Vale

Re: A skeptical look at the mediumship claims of Julie Beisc

Postby Daedalus » Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:43 pm

This seems like pretty typical woo... the more you dig the more you {!#%@} you uncover.
"Propaganda is a monologue which seeks not a response, but an echo." (W.H. Auden)
"Given time and plenty of paper, philosophers can prove anything." (Robert Heinlein)
"The map is not the territory." (Alfred Korzybski)
“You’re in the desert, you see a tortoise lying on its back, struggling, and you’re not helping — why is that?" (Bladerunner)

octopus1
Perpetual Poster
Custom Title: Deep Sea Mollusk

Postby octopus1 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:35 pm

If you go digging in the sewer, don't feign surprise at what you find there...
"On the fence".... Without a cushion....

kennyc
Has No Life
Custom Title: The Dank Side of the Moon

Postby kennyc » Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:55 pm

Well given the charter statement:

The Windbridge Institute investigates the capabilities of our bodies, minds, and spirits and attempts to determine how the resulting information can best serve all living things.

I can't help but think of the Damon Knight story To Serve Man:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/To_Serve_M ... light_Zone)
Kenny A. Chaffin
Art Gallery - Photo Gallery - Writing&Poetry - The Bleeding Edge
"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama

Shen1986
Veteran Poster

Postby Shen1986 » Sat Sep 21, 2013 6:07 am

Really great work. Thanks..
Last edited by Shen1986 on Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Death Dies Hard." - Deathstars.

Exploding Borealis

Postby Exploding Borealis » Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:03 pm

I see nothing substantive in this thread regarding criticisms of Beischel. I see only broadbrush references to thing such as RationalWiki and "woo meisters" such as Tsakiris and "sloppy" research "ignoring any evidence of fraud" and the Weybridge Institute being an "utter fraud." I see no specific detailed examples.

You all need to provide details about this. I read Beischel's book, and I saw nothing suggestive of what you are alleging.

Provide some actual, specific examples. Are you a knee-jerk, lazy-thinking pseudoskeptics, or are you a sincere investigators? Do you all follow the party line of pseudoskepticism like a bleating sheep, or do you seek the truth with an unbiased eye? Which is it going to be? Your call.

Skepticism runs both ways. "Skeptic" can just be a word for a closed-minded knee-jerk thinker. We must be skeptical about skeptical assertions.

Details, please. Providing Google links is not providing details.

Get cracking.

Pyrrho
Administrator

Postby Pyrrho » Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:00 am

I think I can safely predict the course of the ensuing discussion.
For any forum questions or concerns please e-mail skepticforum@gmail.com or send a PM.

The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

Kaepora Gaebora
Regular Poster

Postby Kaepora Gaebora » Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:36 am

Exploding Borealis wrote:Details, please. Providing Google links is not providing details.

Get cracking.

Oh wow a newbie demanding us to do things! We should drop everything and investigate these claims just for this guy.

:roll:

scrmbldggs
Has No Life
Custom Title: something

Postby scrmbldggs » Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:24 am

Kaepora Gaebora wrote:
Exploding Borealis wrote:Details, please. Providing Google links is not providing details.

Get cracking.

Oh wow a newbie demanding us to do things! We should drop everything and investigate these claims just for this guy.

:roll:

I wish I could, I really do. But am blinded... some burst of exploding borealis :wow:
Hi, Io the lurker.

Gord
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Postby Gord » Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:19 am

I am a knee-jerk, lazy, sincere investigator who follows the party line of seeking the truth with an unbiased bleat.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

Whitedude
Poster

Postby Whitedude » Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:41 am

Provide some actual, specific examples. Are you a knee-jerk, lazy-thinking pseudoskeptics, or are you a sincere investigators? Do you all follow the party line of pseudoskepticism like a bleating sheep, or do you seek the truth with an unbiased eye? Which is it going to be? Your call.

Now that you have raised the subject I will spend some time listing the evidence. I have read her book. Expect a reply in the next few days.
I am not longer posting on this forum. Too busy in real life with other interests.

busterggi
Regular Poster
Custom Title: General Weirdness

Postby busterggi » Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:17 pm

Exploding Borealis wrote:I see nothing substantive in this thread regarding criticisms of Beischel. I see only broadbrush references to thing such as RationalWiki and "woo meisters" such as Tsakiris and "sloppy" research "ignoring any evidence of fraud" and the Weybridge Institute being an "utter fraud." I see no specific detailed examples.

You all need to provide details about this. I read Beischel's book, and I saw nothing suggestive of what you are alleging.

Skepticism runs both ways. "Skeptic" can just be a word for a closed-minded knee-jerk thinker. We must be skeptical about skeptical assertions.

Details, please. Providing Google links is not providing details.

Get cracking.

Evidence for reincarnation? That you landrew?

openmindedscientist

Postby openmindedscientist » Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:01 pm

Whitedude wrote:

Now that you have raised the subject I will spend some time listing the evidence. I have read her book. Expect a reply in the next few days.

Interesting, never got a follow up on this. Did you have trouble finding good argument points during the past couple years?

Return to “UFOs, Cryptozoology, and The Paranormal”