seth and jane roberts

PSI, Mediums, Ghosts, UFOs, Things That Go Bump In The Night
Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic
Posts: 26371
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:31 am

Re: seth and jane roberts

Postby Matthew Ellard » Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:20 am

scrmbldggs wrote::wave: Welcome back, CMurdock.
Well spotted! :D
C Murdock wrote:I believe in the Seth material because it meets my standard of evidence: The statements given by Seth were consistent over 20 years of readings

viewtopic.php?f=33&t=18434&p=294413#p294468

Jane Roberts channelling Seth the spirit wrote:The continents will start rising in 2000
Well, that was a total flop prediction by Jane Roberts in the 70s, wasn't it? :lol:
Jane Roberts Prediction.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Caleb Murdock
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:59 am

Re: seth and jane roberts

Postby Caleb Murdock » Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:47 am

Matthew, stating your opinions as facts won't win you any arguments.

I made some valid points. For example, how can a "fraudster" like Roberts produce books filled with wisdom and cogent insights into humanity. A fraudster is, by nature and definition, a shallow, dishonest person. A shallow, dishonest person could not have produced the Seth Material. Also, I described how she produced the Material in front of many witnesses in a way that no normal human being could.

We are not talking about proof or science, etc. We are talking about what we choose to believe. Yes, science is fact-based, but the facts can always be argued or disputed. All any of us have is our beliefs, and mine are based not on "facts", but on the probability (in my view) that the Seth Material is true (for the reasons I gave above). To me it is more than just plausible.

User avatar
scrmbldggs
Has No Life
Posts: 19641
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 7:55 am
Custom Title: something
Location: sees Maria Frigoris from its house!

Re: seth and jane roberts

Postby scrmbldggs » Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:42 pm

In other(wordly) news... Rejoice! Jane Roberts has become Joseph Smith's 2453rd wife and claimed her bunk on Kolob2!
Hi, Io the lurker.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic
Posts: 26371
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:31 am

Re: seth and jane roberts

Postby Matthew Ellard » Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:51 am

Caleb Murdock wrote: For example, how can a "fraudster" like Roberts produce books filled with wisdom and cogent insights into humanity.
Do you mean.... how does a confidence trickster make people believe the unbelievable? Jane practiced her talent writing B-Grade novels before starting her money making religion. Didn't you know?

Caleb Murdock wrote:A fraudster is, by nature and definition, a shallow, dishonest person.
I know and that's why Jane Roberts lied about being an alcoholic and indeed died from alcoholism. It's why her followers, like Barrie, still try make money off her corpse by releasing books of bad poetry. :lol:

User avatar
scrmbldggs
Has No Life
Posts: 19641
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 7:55 am
Custom Title: something
Location: sees Maria Frigoris from its house!

Re: seth and jane roberts

Postby scrmbldggs » Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:03 am

It's prolly gonna break dear Caleb's heart hearing he totally missed Barrie's debut here.

But he'll always have georgie. He's gonna make it all better... and maybe xouper will have another go at discussion.
Hi, Io the lurker.

User avatar
xouper
True Skeptic
Posts: 10277
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2005 5:04 pm
Contact:

Re: seth and jane roberts

Postby xouper » Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:16 am

scrmbldggs wrote:It's prolly gonna break dear Caleb's heart hearing he totally missed Barrie's debut here.

But he'll always have georgie. He's gonna make it all better... and maybe xouper will have another go at discussion.


Why would I do that? :shock:

What did you imagine I could contribute that anyone would be interested in reading?

User avatar
scrmbldggs
Has No Life
Posts: 19641
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 7:55 am
Custom Title: something
Location: sees Maria Frigoris from its house!

Re: seth and jane roberts

Postby scrmbldggs » Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:39 am

Don't you remember CMurdock? Lemme see what I can dig up to freshen your memory. :-P


ETADA
Hi, Io the lurker.

User avatar
xouper
True Skeptic
Posts: 10277
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2005 5:04 pm
Contact:

Re: seth and jane roberts

Postby xouper » Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:32 am

scrmbldggs wrote:Don't you remember CMurdock? Lemme see what I can dig up to freshen your memory. :-P

ETADA


Oh my. That was five years ago. I read a few of those posts and then I gave up. If anyone has any questions that I did not already address in that thread, I will be happy to give it a shot.

User avatar
Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2042
Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:40 am
Custom Title: cognitively consonant
Location: playing croquet in Wonderland

Re: Seth and Jane Roberts

Postby Nikki Nyx » Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:45 pm

Caleb Murdock wrote:I wish that I had known this conversation was going on.
What, Seth didn't tell you?
Caleb Murdock wrote:The Seth Material forms the basis of my religious beliefs.
I'm sorry.
Caleb Murdock wrote:The problem is that a religion can't be debunked.
Of course it can, by virtue of the fact that it can't be proven.
Caleb Murdock wrote:Yes, most all religions are illogical.
FIFY
Caleb Murdock wrote:Religions can't be subjected to double-blind studies, and that's the problem for atheists.
Actually, that's not a problem for us, but for you. You can't prove that what you believe in is factual.
Caleb Murdock wrote:The best you can do is to look for peripheral evidence to discredit the religion.
Mostly, we don't bother. The burden of proof is on you.
Caleb Murdock wrote:For example, the Seth readings were given with many witnesses, and some of the things they witnessed were improbable at best.
So? Faith healing is complete bull-shit, but thousands (possibly millions) of people have witnessed it and swear it's real. Witness testimony is notoriously unreliable.
Caleb Murdock wrote:If you don't believe she was a fraudster, then you must believe that she was simply pretending or fooling herself or something like that. The problem with that hypothesis is that the depth of wisdom in the Material is just astonishing, and self-deluded fools don't usually produce volumes of insightful comments.
Four subjective words in your statement prove it to be an irrational conclusion.
Caleb Murdock wrote:Furthermore, Seth set forth a cohesive theology that was unique and consistent over 20 years of readings. In other words, with the Seth Material, the "proof is in the pudding" -- the quality of the Material is so high that it has to be authentic.
Again, so? Plenty of religions include consistent material over much longer periods. They're still nonsense.
Caleb Murdock wrote:So the Seth Material isn't anything that can be debunked. If you don't believe it, fine -- but for me, it passes the sniff test.
Again, the burden of proof is on you, not us. And you've failed to provide any scientific evidence.
What are the facts? Again and again and again-what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore divine revelation, forget what “the stars foretell,” avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable “verdict of history”--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your single clue. Get the facts!
—Lazarus Long, from Time Enough for Love, by Robert A. Heinlein

User avatar
gorgeous
Perpetual Poster
Posts: 4129
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:25 pm

Re: seth and jane roberts

Postby gorgeous » Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:59 pm

science is in denial...
Science Fundamentalism...is exactly what happens when there’s a significant, perceived ideological threat to one’s traditions and identity.

User avatar
Poodle
Has More Than 8K Posts
Posts: 8121
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:12 pm
Custom Title: Regular sleeper
Location: NE corner of my living room

Re: seth and jane roberts

Postby Poodle » Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:14 pm

The perfect opening ...
Crocodiles are in denial.

Caleb Murdock
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:59 am

Re: seth and jane roberts

Postby Caleb Murdock » Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:31 am

Matthew Ellard wrote:
Caleb Murdock wrote: For example, how can a "fraudster" like Roberts produce books filled with wisdom and cogent insights into humanity.
Do you mean.... how does a confidence trickster make people believe the unbelievable? Jane practiced her talent writing B-Grade novels before starting her money making religion. Didn't you know?

Caleb Murdock wrote:A fraudster is, by nature and definition, a shallow, dishonest person.
I know and that's why Jane Roberts lied about being an alcoholic and indeed died from alcoholism. It's why her followers, like Barrie, still try make money off her corpse by releasing books of bad poetry. :lol:

I've been busy with my business for the last few days.

I feel sorry for you, Matthew. There's no evidence that Roberts was a confidence trickster, or that she was an alcoholic. It's clear, however, that she had a lot of emotional problems. If you have to make up "facts" to make your points, you have no valid argument to make. But then, you have nothing valid to say anyway if you see fakery and fraud everywhere you look.

Atheists love to talk about all the things they would like to debunk, but they do that without realizing that the things they talk about constantly are actually the things they believe in. I can't remember his name, but there is at least one well-known atheist (not Kuhn) who publicly acknowledged that he spends most of his time thinking about God. What we dwell on is what we believe, even if we claim otherwise.

I started out an atheist in my teens but had abandoned atheism by my mid-twenties. But I did it in a sensible way. I looked for evidence -- and I found it in many places. I found it in the Cayce readings (Cayce sometimes knew things about the people he gave readings for which he shouldn't have known). I found it in accounts of ghosts (I know some people who have seen ghosts). I found it in near-death experiences. When Raymond Moody first started to collect near-death stories for his first book, all the people he interviewed told approximately the same story (floating above their bodies, witnessing the death scene, seeing things that weren't visible from where they lay, going through a tunnel, hearing music, encountering a being of light, encountering a barrier, etc.). It has never been explained to my satisfaction how all people who are dying could have the same "fantasy" (if that's what it is), unless the fantasy is real. After all, we don't all have the same dreams in the same life circumstances.

I found evidence in ESP, of which I have experienced some myself. A co-worker told me once of an experience that saved his life. He jumped into a car with some friends, slammed the door shut, and suddenly had a premonition that the door would never open. He yelled at the driver to stop, and he jumped out of the car. That car was involved in a crash a little later, and all the occupants died.

So after a lot of searching, I found the Seth Material, which passed all my sniff tests (for phoniness) -- which was produced in front of many witnesses, which was well annotated, which was full of wisdom -- and I've stuck with it ever since. I'm not a dummy or a rube for believing in something which strikes me as authentic and plausible.

There was an episode of Late Night with David Letterman which also provided me with some evidence -- perhaps some of you remember it. Letterman hid something in his studio, and a psychic found it. The psychic held Letterman's hand while he searched (together they walked all over the studio with a camera following them). Letterman kept making jokes, and the psychic kept telling him to concentrate. Once Letterman stopped making jokes and started concentrating, the psychic found the object.

The point is, there is all kinds of evidence around us pointing to the likelihood that there is more to reality than athiests think there is.

I have an 88-year-old friend who is a true atheist. I tell her some of the things I believe, and she simply says, "I don't believe that." Unlike you folks, she doesn't spend her time thinking about the things she doesn't believe. She doesn't go out of her way to disprove this or disprove that. You people who dwell on the things you don't believe are revealing that you actually believe them, but for some reason you also feel threatened by them. It's a kind of contariness which I don't fully understand. In other words, atheism (of the type practiced on this forum) is a psychological syndrome. It isn't the result of logic or rationality. It seems to be a way of rejecting the world -- or perhaps a way of saying "no" to your religious parents.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic
Posts: 26371
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:31 am

Re: seth and jane roberts

Postby Matthew Ellard » Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:09 am

Caleb Murdock wrote: I feel sorry for you, Matthew.
So did Barry and Gorgeous. It's lovely that you three Seth cult members joined our forum to offer emotional support. It's a bummer, you three can't offer any evidence for Seth. :lol:

Caleb Murdock wrote: There's no evidence that Roberts was a confidence trickster
She sold books for profit based on a imaginary religion, she made up. Her "Seth" predictions were never right and the cult collapsed when she died. She was a 100% con artist. Barrie, your fellow elderly cult member, is trying to sell poetry books by flogging this same dead horse of Seth. It's sooooo Dark ages.

Caleb Murdock wrote:.....nor that she was an alcoholic.
Write down how the the official cult reason for her death ( Rheumatoid arthritis) can kill people and then I will show you how she actually died from alcoholism

Is Rheumatoid Arthritis Fatal? No.
https://www.verywell.com/rheumatoid-art ... ath-190072

Caleb Murdock wrote: It's clear, however, that she had a lot of emotional problems.
....and was drunk all the time. You don't seem to know anything about Jane Roberts. :lol:


Caleb Murdock wrote: Atheists love to talk about all the things they would like to debunk
You came here to our forum, to get debunked. We didn't go to you, did we? It seems that you have doubts about your cult, not us. :lol:

Caleb Murdock wrote:I found it (evidence) in the Cayce readings (it couldn't be explained how he knew things about the people he gave readings for).
Jane Roberts channelling Seth in 1973 wrote: The continents will start rising in 2000
Well you can now dismiss the Seth bull-shit. Not one of Jane's predictions came true. :lol:


Caleb Murdock wrote: I found the Seth Material, which passed all my sniff tests (for phoniness)
....well apart from all the incorrect predictions and that Jane previously made all the stories up when a fictional short story writer :lol:

User avatar
Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2042
Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:40 am
Custom Title: cognitively consonant
Location: playing croquet in Wonderland

Re: seth and jane roberts

Postby Nikki Nyx » Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:16 am

Caleb Murdock wrote:The point is, there is all kinds of evidence around us pointing to the likelihood that there is more to reality than athiests think there is.
Not evidence that stands up to scientific scrutiny. Your Letterman anecdote, while adorable, is not evidence.
Caleb Murdock wrote:I have an 88-year-old friend who is a true atheist. I tell her some of the things I believe, and she simply says, "I don't believe that." Unlike you folks, she doesn't spend her time thinking about the things she doesn't believe.
None of us spends time thinking about the concepts in which we do not believe. But you wooists spend a considerable amount of time invading our sanctum with your nonsense, thus putting us in the position of having to think about it. In which case, we use evidence to debunk its obvious nonsense.
Caleb Murdock wrote:She doesn't go out of her way to disprove this or disprove that.
We don't either. I've never visited a wooist forum in my life and attempted to proselytize atheism or rationality. I wouldn't waste my time.
Caleb Murdock wrote:You people who dwell on the things you don't believe are revealing that you actually believe them, but for some reason you also feel threatened by them.
Again, we don't dwell. Why don't you irrational people leave us in peace?
Caleb Murdock wrote:It's a kind of contariness which I don't fully understand.
Actually, you're the one being contrary by bringing your illogical crap to a skeptics' forum. It's rather like barging into an NRA meeting and calling them all murderers.
Caleb Murdock wrote:In other words, atheism (of the type practiced on this forum) is a psychological syndrome. It isn't the result of logic or rationality. It seems to be a way of rejecting the world -- or perhaps a way of saying "no" to your religious parents.
Rationality is not found in the DSM...but delusions are. Check yourself, dude. You're the one who believes that an alcoholic failed sci-fi writer was channeling a being who was reincarnated numerous times, like that's rational. :roll: We're not rejecting the world; we're only rejecting YOUR world. Lastly, my parents were atheists of the apathetic variety. I learned about world religions in the course of history, but we rarely talked about people and their irrational beliefs.

You're like the Jehovah's Witnesses who come knocking on my door on Saturday morning. When you invade my space with your bull-shit, expect a reaction. But I'll never come knocking on YOUR door and proselytize non-belief to you.
What are the facts? Again and again and again-what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore divine revelation, forget what “the stars foretell,” avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable “verdict of history”--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your single clue. Get the facts!
—Lazarus Long, from Time Enough for Love, by Robert A. Heinlein

User avatar
scrmbldggs
Has No Life
Posts: 19641
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 7:55 am
Custom Title: something
Location: sees Maria Frigoris from its house!

Re: seth and jane roberts

Postby scrmbldggs » Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:26 am

CMurdock wrote:...She doesn't go out of her way to disprove this or disprove that. You people who dwell on the things you don't believe are revealing that you actually believe them, but for some reason you also feel threatened by them. It's a kind of contariness which I don't fully understand. In other words, atheism (of the type practiced on this forum) is a psychological syndrome. It isn't the result of logic or rationality. It seems to be a way of rejecting the world -- or perhaps a way of saying "no" to your religious parents.


We don't go out of our way, the 'way outta there' come here and find us. And even though we have our own little Sethian nutbar festering and spamming here, I don't think anyone gave you another thought after you stormed outta here last time. At least I know I didn't. Just as little as I dwell on anything religious or "spiritual" until it is brought to my attention. Usually by someone who wants to sell me something, but also sometimes by someone who just had an experience with some fruitcake they need to shake off by discussing it with someone sane.

Seems someone else is obsessed with something that keeps eating him up and forced him to make his way back here again. Is it a Savior complex?
Hi, Io the lurker.

User avatar
scrmbldggs
Has No Life
Posts: 19641
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 7:55 am
Custom Title: something
Location: sees Maria Frigoris from its house!

Re: seth and jane roberts

Postby scrmbldggs » Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:30 am

No wonder Caleb believes in ghosts. Considering the windmills he's fighting...
Hi, Io the lurker.

User avatar
Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2042
Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:40 am
Custom Title: cognitively consonant
Location: playing croquet in Wonderland

Re: seth and jane roberts

Postby Nikki Nyx » Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:36 am

scrmbldggs wrote:No wonder Caleb believes in ghosts. Considering the windmills he's fighting...

:slapfight: :sinking:
What are the facts? Again and again and again-what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore divine revelation, forget what “the stars foretell,” avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable “verdict of history”--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your single clue. Get the facts!
—Lazarus Long, from Time Enough for Love, by Robert A. Heinlein

User avatar
scrmbldggs
Has No Life
Posts: 19641
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 7:55 am
Custom Title: something
Location: sees Maria Frigoris from its house!

Re: tarzan and jane roberts

Postby scrmbldggs » Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:40 am

:hmm: Maybe I should exchange "sane" for something else. I buy rational for $250...
Hi, Io the lurker.

User avatar
Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2042
Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:40 am
Custom Title: cognitively consonant
Location: playing croquet in Wonderland

Re: tarzan and jane roberts

Postby Nikki Nyx » Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:45 am

scrmbldggs wrote::hmm: Maybe I should exchange "sane" for something else. I buy rational for $250...

I love the whole, "I've just come into your house and taken a {!#%@} on your dining room table. It's perfectly normal, you know, yet you seem to have deep psychological issues with this situation. Also, you're rude, stupid, and mean," attitude that seems to be prevalent amongst wooists who come here.
What are the facts? Again and again and again-what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore divine revelation, forget what “the stars foretell,” avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable “verdict of history”--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your single clue. Get the facts!
—Lazarus Long, from Time Enough for Love, by Robert A. Heinlein

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic
Posts: 26371
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:31 am

tarzan, Jane Roberts, boy & Cheetah

Postby Matthew Ellard » Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:59 am

I saw what you did there scrmbldggs.
Tarzan and Jane Roberts.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Caleb Murdock
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:59 am

Re: seth and jane roberts

Postby Caleb Murdock » Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:58 am

Matthew, the state of your denial verges on psychosis. The fact that you make up facts makes your comments irrelevant.

The rest of you aren't much better. You don't even try to approximate open-mindedness. A lot of you are doing little more than snearing at me. The fact that you've adopted such condescending attitudes is a sign of mental weakness. What I hear here is just denial, denial, denial. Now, if I were spouting nonsense like you'd get from a born-again Christian, I'd understand that, but I am arguably more rational in my approach to metaphysical issues than the rest of you. All you've done is to confirm my opinon that atheism is a psychological syndrome.

I was attracted to this thread because Seth was being discussed. (I found the thread in a search. I had been on this forum before, but I had forgotten that.) But if no one here can have a rational discussion, there's no point. You are all in a state of denial which has nothing to do with the topic being discussed. Rejecting the Seth Material out of hand (and all the other phenomena you reject) has more to do with your psychological states than anything else. Good luck working out your problems with your psychiatrists.

Matthew Ellard - 25,000+ posts
scrmbldggs - 18,000+ posts
xouper - 9,000+ posts
poodle - almost 8,000 posts

I feel like I should call an ambulance for you people who keep writing about all the stuff you supposedly don't believe in.

As for you, Nikki, you've racked up almost 1,400+ posts in only TWO MONTHS -- 23 posts a day -- yet you claim not to be obsessed with the things that you write against. I've never made more than about 300 posts on any forum in my life.

Psychology 101: What you think about the most is what you actually believe, even if you think about it to deny it. That's the most important thing that I have to say here. Judging from what I've seen, however, this bit of wisdom will go right over your heads.

User avatar
scrmbldggs
Has No Life
Posts: 19641
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 7:55 am
Custom Title: something
Location: sees Maria Frigoris from its house!

Re: seth and jane roberts

Postby scrmbldggs » Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:14 pm

Image
Hi, Io the lurker.

User avatar
scrmbldggs
Has No Life
Posts: 19641
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 7:55 am
Custom Title: something
Location: sees Maria Frigoris from its house!

Re: seth and jane roberts

Postby scrmbldggs » Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:23 pm

I think it's not surprising you need "Seth" and all other mentioned things that give you comfort to be "true". You live in a fantasy world of your own mind and making and the reality of the world and others just wont fit in there. In fact, it's so frightening to you, your defenses are always up and you wont even take an unbiased peek at it.

:quix:
Hi, Io the lurker.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic
Posts: 26371
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:31 am

Tarzan and Jane Roberts

Postby Matthew Ellard » Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:00 pm

Caleb Murdock wrote:Matthew, the state of your denial verges on psychosis.
No it doesn't. It is me using evidence on an evidence based skeptic forum. Indeed, the irony is that you are the 1960s cult follower, who follows one of the spirit channellers from this period, based on no evidence whatsoever. :D

I see you ran away from a simple question. How did Jane Roberts die of Rheumatoid arthritis, which is a non-fatal disease? Why does you cult believe in lies?

Caleb Murdock wrote:The rest of you aren't much better.
Where does the channelled spirit, "Seth", say "Go on to science based internet forums and tell skeptics they are closed minded because they won't believe in my 1960s cult? . Even more fun, as Jane Roberts dies in 1984 she had no knowledge of the internet and her channelled spirit Seth didn't know about the internet either. :lol:

Caleb Murdock wrote:Now, if I were spouting nonsense like you'd get from a born-again Christian, I'd understand that, ........
You are much more hilarious. You believe an ex-science fiction writer channelled a magical spirit and then charged money for books containing the spirits wisdom, including predictions that the "continents would rise in 2000" which never happened. :D

Your claim would be a hilarious scene in a remake of Dumb and Dumber IV.
:lol:

Caleb Murdock wrote:I feel like I should call an ambulance for you people who keep writing about all the stuff you supposedly don't believe in.
We are responding to people like yourself who come here and make their hilarious religions claims. You came to us remember? We didn't go to you. :D

User avatar
xouper
True Skeptic
Posts: 10277
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2005 5:04 pm
Contact:

Re: seth and jane roberts

Postby xouper » Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:37 am

Caleb Murdock wrote:Matthew, the state of your denial verges on psychosis. The fact that you make up facts makes your comments irrelevant.

The rest of you aren't much better. You don't even try to approximate open-mindedness. A lot of you are doing little more than snearing at me. The fact that you've adopted such condescending attitudes is a sign of mental weakness. What I hear here is just denial, denial, denial. Now, if I were spouting nonsense like you'd get from a born-again Christian, I'd understand that, but I am arguably more rational in my approach to metaphysical issues than the rest of you. All you've done is to confirm my opinon that atheism is a psychological syndrome.

I was attracted to this thread because Seth was being discussed. (I found the thread in a search. I had been on this forum before, but I had forgotten that.) But if no one here can have a rational discussion, there's no point. You are all in a state of denial which has nothing to do with the topic being discussed. Rejecting the Seth Material out of hand (and all the other phenomena you reject) has more to do with your psychological states than anything else. Good luck working out your problems with your psychiatrists.

Matthew Ellard - 25,000+ posts
scrmbldggs - 18,000+ posts
xouper - 9,000+ posts
poodle - almost 8,000 posts

I feel like I should call an ambulance for you people who keep writing about all the stuff you supposedly don't believe in.


Caleb, now that you've attacked me personally with false accusations and insults — totally unprovoked and unwarranted, I might add — you have lost all benefit of the doubt that you are interested in a civil discussion. It also reveals you are no longer worth paying any attention to.

Good-bye.

<plonk>

User avatar
scrmbldggs
Has No Life
Posts: 19641
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 7:55 am
Custom Title: something
Location: sees Maria Frigoris from its house!

Re: seth and jane roberts

Postby scrmbldggs » Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:19 am

:hmm: I'm wondering... here Caleb Murdock wrote
I wish that I had known this conversation was going on. I would have joined it. The Seth Material forms the basis of my religious beliefs.

I haven't read every post yet, but I'll try to get to all of them.



and here Barrie1 wrote
[Bunyip]...No credible evidence to support any of the claims made in the books.

Barrie Responds: Actually, there has been credible evidence to support some claims.


Can Caleb help Barrie and us out here and list those - or some of those - 'supported claims'? AFAIK, he (Barrie) never got around to do so.
Hi, Io the lurker.

User avatar
Gord
Real Skeptic
Posts: 29108
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:44 am
Custom Title: Silent Ork
Location: Transcona

Re: seth and jane roberts

Postby Gord » Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:21 am

Caleb Murdock wrote:Atheists love to talk about all the things they would like to debunk, but they do that without realizing that the things they talk about constantly are actually the things they believe in. I can't remember his name, but there is at least one well-known atheist (not Kuhn) who publicly acknowledged that he spends most of his time thinking about God. What we dwell on is what we believe, even if we claim otherwise.

Nope. I, for one, tend to dwell on things that are worrying me. Sometimes I dwell on things that interest me. In neither of those cases are they things I believe in. Do I believe in high prices, Norse mythology, and Donald Trump? :lol:
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

User avatar
Gord
Real Skeptic
Posts: 29108
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:44 am
Custom Title: Silent Ork
Location: Transcona

Re: seth and jane roberts

Postby Gord » Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:26 am

Nikki Nyx wrote:None of us spends time thinking about the concepts in which we do not believe.

I do! Well, I mean, I believe in concepts ("abstract ideas and notions"), but not the things the concepts are about. For instance, I think about Superman occasionally. I don't believe there is an actual person named Superman who flies through the air and beats up meteors with his fists.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

User avatar
Gord
Real Skeptic
Posts: 29108
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:44 am
Custom Title: Silent Ork
Location: Transcona

Re: seth and jane roberts

Postby Gord » Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:28 am

Caleb Murdock wrote:Psychology 101: What you think about the most is what you actually believe, even if you think about it to deny it. That's the most important thing that I have to say here. Judging from what I've seen, however, this bit of wisdom will go right over your heads.

I award you an F. (Pssst! That stands for "fail"!)
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

User avatar
Gord
Real Skeptic
Posts: 29108
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:44 am
Custom Title: Silent Ork
Location: Transcona

Re: seth and jane roberts

Postby Gord » Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:31 am

Caleb Murdock wrote:atheism (of the type practiced on this forum)

Atheism isn't a practice, it's a lack of belief in gods. Non-stamp collecting isn't a practice either, for example. Nor is not being a doctor.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic
Posts: 26371
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:31 am

Re: Seth and Jane Roberts

Postby Matthew Ellard » Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:44 am

Caleb Murdock wrote: The problem is that a religion can't be debunked. Religions can't be subjected to double-blind studies, and that's the problem for atheists.


Actually, it's a problem for you and Barry. After Jane Roberts died, other people started to claim they were channelling Seth and charging money for their Seth books.

Here is a person called Story Waters, channelling Seth for only $8 a book.

https://theoneself.com/seth

Barry attacked Story Waters, because Barry was trying to sell his Seth book on poetry. However, according to Barry and Caleb's own logic, Story Waters doesn't need to offer any evidence either.

Barry demands Story waters stops channelling Seth.
http://sethtalks.com/t/where-is-seth-no ... eth/419/21

I spend a decade in the late 90's, on religious group's money laundering activities and there is nothing I enjoy more than people trying to make money from a defunct cult, after the original cult leader dies.
channelling.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic
Posts: 26371
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:31 am

Tarzan and Jane Roberts

Postby Matthew Ellard » Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:06 am

Category talk:Suspected Wikipedia sockpuppets of Caleb Murdock
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category_ ... eb_Murdock

Murdock has previously stated (before he was blocked) that he can edit from anywhere, but so far most of his edits have been from Providence, Rhode Island, Massachusetts, and a few other places. He's a 60ish man who has the Seth Material as his religion and who therefore also has edited at Jane Roberts:

Caleb Murdock wrote: Perhaps the most important message Seth had for human beings is that we create our lives according to our beliefs, thoughts and emotions. "You create your own reality"
:lol:
I wish Caleb and long a fruitful life creating reality through editing.
https://archive.li/WzAVH#selection-1111.2-1111.169

User avatar
scrmbldggs
Has No Life
Posts: 19641
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 7:55 am
Custom Title: something
Location: sees Maria Frigoris from its house!

Re: seth and jane roberts

Postby scrmbldggs » Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:07 am

Dude, that's a lot of earwax^. Has that lady seen a doctor about it? And I hope someone took the a cheesecloth to clean up the mess-age. :-P
Hi, Io the lurker.

User avatar
scrmbldggs
Has No Life
Posts: 19641
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 7:55 am
Custom Title: something
Location: sees Maria Frigoris from its house!

Re: Tarzan and Jane Roberts

Postby scrmbldggs » Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:19 am

Matthew Ellard wrote:Category talk:Suspected Wikipedia sockpuppets of Caleb Murdock
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category_ ... eb_Murdock

Murdock has previously stated (before he was blocked) that he can edit from anywhere, but so far most of his edits have been from Providence, Rhode Island, Massachusetts, and a few other places. He's a 60ish man who has the Seth Material as his religion and who therefore also has edited at Jane Roberts:

Caleb Murdock wrote: Perhaps the most important message Seth had for human beings is that we create our lives according to our beliefs, thoughts and emotions. "You create your own reality"
:lol:
I wish Caleb and long a fruitful life creating reality through editing.
https://archive.li/WzAVH#selection-1111.2-1111.169

And then there's this,
CMurdock wrote:Thanks to y'all, I've added an addendum to my article about atheists. It's the portion below the ellipsis.

http://calebmurdock.blogspot.com/2012/0 ... elves.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
(The link comes out like that^ when quoting the post, I didn't change anything to fix it.)


When I went to visit his flog back then, I found this:
A mature person decides what to believe and then looks for evidence, finding the proof for himself.

Need I say more...


ETA And I think he later added, "The posture of atheists -- "prove it to me" -- is essentially an immature one.", making an earlier response by a visitor seem weird.
Hi, Io the lurker.

User avatar
scrmbldggs
Has No Life
Posts: 19641
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 7:55 am
Custom Title: something
Location: sees Maria Frigoris from its house!

Re: seth and jane roberts

Postby scrmbldggs » Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:29 am

Funny how the request to be shown that pink unicorn in one's garage is an attack on the precious little character of the one who claims to be keeping and selling one.
Hi, Io the lurker.

User avatar
xouper
True Skeptic
Posts: 10277
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2005 5:04 pm
Contact:

Re: seth and jane roberts

Postby xouper » Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:14 am

I was waiting to see if anyone else would make an obvious observation about Caleb's complaints.

Caleb Murdock wrote:Matthew, the state of your denial verges on psychosis. The fact that you make up facts makes your comments irrelevant.

The rest of you aren't much better. You don't even try to approximate open-mindedness. A lot of you are doing little more than snearing at me. The fact that you've adopted such condescending attitudes is a sign of mental weakness. What I hear here is just denial, denial, denial. Now, if I were spouting nonsense like you'd get from a born-again Christian, I'd understand that, but I am arguably more rational in my approach to metaphysical issues than the rest of you. All you've done is to confirm my opinon that atheism is a psychological syndrome.

I was attracted to this thread because Seth was being discussed. (I found the thread in a search. I had been on this forum before, but I had forgotten that.) But if no one here can have a rational discussion, there's no point. You are all in a state of denial which has nothing to do with the topic being discussed. Rejecting the Seth Material out of hand (and all the other phenomena you reject) has more to do with your psychological states than anything else. Good luck working out your problems with your psychiatrists.

Matthew Ellard - 25,000+ posts
scrmbldggs - 18,000+ posts
xouper - 9,000+ posts
poodle - almost 8,000 posts

I feel like I should call an ambulance for you people who keep writing about all the stuff you supposedly don't believe in.

As for you, Nikki, you've racked up almost 1,400+ posts in only TWO MONTHS -- 23 posts a day -- yet you claim not to be obsessed with the things that you write against. I've never made more than about 300 posts on any forum in my life.

Psychology 101: What you think about the most is what you actually believe, even if you think about it to deny it. That's the most important thing that I have to say here. Judging from what I've seen, however, this bit of wisdom will go right over your heads.


If Caleb doesn't like the reality he created for himself — which according to Seth is exactly what he did here — then Caleb has only himself to blame.

According to Seth, Caleb is free to create something more enjoyable.

User avatar
scrmbldggs
Has No Life
Posts: 19641
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 7:55 am
Custom Title: something
Location: sees Maria Frigoris from its house!

Re: seth and jane roberts

Postby scrmbldggs » Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:01 am

He probably won't accept that. The poor victim was lured here by the interwebz and sneaky atheists. Also, the most common response to that observation has shown to be, "Same to you. Live with it." Although Caleb has a history of giving up rather quickly when his... profoundness isn't recognized. Unlike some of the others of his or similar persuasion I won't name.
Hi, Io the lurker.

User avatar
Poodle
Has More Than 8K Posts
Posts: 8121
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:12 pm
Custom Title: Regular sleeper
Location: NE corner of my living room

Re: seth and jane roberts

Postby Poodle » Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:41 am

Caleb Murdock wrote:... Matthew Ellard - 25,000+ posts
scrmbldggs - 18,000+ posts
xouper - 9,000+ posts
poodle - almost 8,000 posts ...


At least 60,000 posts, Caleb, yet you read remarkably few of them. I suspect that you're here because Barrie was demolished and you think you can better his efforts by employing a wall of denial. Let me help you out - it won't work. Your aggressive trolling history speaks for itself (which, to be fair, is more than the Seth material does) and you are wasting your life.

User avatar
Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2042
Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:40 am
Custom Title: cognitively consonant
Location: playing croquet in Wonderland

Re: seth and jane roberts

Postby Nikki Nyx » Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:41 pm

Caleb Murdock wrote:As for you, Nikki, you've racked up almost 1,400+ posts in only TWO MONTHS -- 23 posts a day -- yet you claim not to be obsessed with the things that you write against. I've never made more than about 300 posts on any forum in my life.
See, this is the problem with people like you: You make judgments based on nothing at all. No facts. No information of any value whatsoever.

You've taken one bit of factual information—my per diem post count—and inferred a logically fallacious, rather stupid conclusion from it. Here's what you ignored in your conclusion:

• Not all of my posts discuss things in which I do not believe. A large number of them discuss scientific information and concepts, including genetics, climate change, neurology, astronomy, immunity, physics, and mathematics. So, you haven't read all my posts, but you've randomly determined that they're in the same category as those in this thread. LOGIC FAIL

• You're comparing my post total to yours, then judging mine based on your personal life, while knowing nothing at all about me and my life. Check yourself, dude. I've been disabled for 18 years; I can't work and my physical capabilities are severely limited. Dafuq else am I going to do but have a rich intellectual life (which includes discussions with other intellectuals)? So, you immaturely believe that something you wouldn't do is weird or morally unacceptable when anyone else does it. LOGIC FAIL

Again, we did not come to you and start annoying you in your woo sanctum with our insistence on scientific fact. You came to us, to our scientific sanctum and started annoying us with your woo bull-shit, expecting us to be open-minded when you've presented no evidence that stands up to scientific scrutiny. So, you feel justified in ad hominem because you're visiting our house and you expect not only to ignore our rules, but to force us to abide by your rules. LOGIC FAIL

Presumably, you're an adult, Caleb? Try thinking like one.
What are the facts? Again and again and again-what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore divine revelation, forget what “the stars foretell,” avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable “verdict of history”--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your single clue. Get the facts!
—Lazarus Long, from Time Enough for Love, by Robert A. Heinlein

User avatar
Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2042
Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:40 am
Custom Title: cognitively consonant
Location: playing croquet in Wonderland

Re: Tarzan and Jane Roberts

Postby Nikki Nyx » Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:16 pm

Matthew Ellard wrote:Category talk:Suspected Wikipedia sockpuppets of Caleb Murdock
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category_ ... eb_Murdock

Murdock has previously stated (before he was blocked) that he can edit from anywhere, but so far most of his edits have been from Providence, Rhode Island, Massachusetts, and a few other places. He's a 60ish man who has the Seth Material as his religion and who therefore also has edited at Jane Roberts:

Also from that Wiki, I found this interesting:
The behavioral evidence is also interesting. Rather than focus exclusively on the articles, one needs to notice whose edits and comments he's targeting. He targets the users with whom he's been in conflict and the admins who have blocked him.
Seems he's rather attached to indulging in ad homs.
What are the facts? Again and again and again-what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore divine revelation, forget what “the stars foretell,” avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable “verdict of history”--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your single clue. Get the facts!
—Lazarus Long, from Time Enough for Love, by Robert A. Heinlein


Return to “UFOs, Cryptozoology, and The Paranormal”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests