SETI Detects Alien Signal From Jupiter's Moon Ganymede

PSI, Mediums, Ghosts, UFOs, Things That Go Bump In The Night
chimaybliss

SETI Detects Alien Signal From Jupiter's Moon Ganymede

Postby chimaybliss » Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:12 pm

This is the best story I ever heard concerning contact with aliens. It is pretty humorous.....

NASA and SETI Astronomers detect an artificial alien radio signal originating from Ganymede, one of Jupiter’s largest moons. When did this happen? Believe it or not but this scenario is supposed to have taken place during the 1980’s

Read more: http://scienceray.com/astronomy/nasa-an ... z1BVRcspT4

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Re: SETI Detects Alien Signal From Jupiter's Moon Ganymede

Postby Matthew Ellard » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:38 am

chimaybliss wrote: NASA and SETI Astronomers detect an artificial alien radio signal originating from Ganymede, one of Jupiter’s largest moons.

I think it is a "shaggy dog" story

this is what Rupert Matthews reports in his book......... NASA and SETI astronomers picked up on a radio signal ..... The signal was coming from Jupiter’s moon Ganymede and was definitely artificial in nature. The signal was run through multiple computers and no sense could be made as to the meaning of it......

So far, so good.....although I'm not sure if SETI was ever aimed at any moon in our solar system. ( Someone may have better information on this) and I'm not sure how out of space broadcasts are "fed" into decryption computers that need alpha-numerical input data ( Why would NASA assume the alien signal was not just a complex wave to perform some mechanised instruction rather than a "message". The first step in signals analysis is to determine if you are reviewing a "message", "data" or an "operation". )

Eventually it was decided to send a signal to the exact location that the message was coming from on Ganymede. This message would be sent in Morse Code which was considered to be the easiest for an alien civilization to decode.

Morse code is fine if you speak English. It seems an odd assumption that the aliens understand English considering 500 languages are broadcast over TV and radio everyday.

It would read “We have received your signal, but we do not understand it. Please resend your signal using this language and transmission code.” Immediately after this message was sent, the mysterious signal from Ganymede ceased its transmission so everyone assumed that we would receive a new signal in Morse Code in a quick period of time. But day after day and then week after week no signal came and officials began to give up hope of actually receiving a response. Finally after more than a month, a signal was detected coming from the original radio source on Ganymede and incredibly it was in Morse Code. Eagerly NASA scientists translated our first direct contact with an alien civilization. And it said “We were not talking to you.”

Now that's just rubbish. "Talking to you" ( as in open one's mouth in an oxygen environment and talk into someone's ear rather than "exchange electronic communication") Obviously this alien has uses human metaphor expressions, which suggests it is really some "wag" at NASA playing a practical joke.

rrichar911
Perpetual Poster

Postby rrichar911 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:59 am

I don't think anyone lives on the moon. If they were there they were visiting. Why would they stay for a month? What would they be doing on Jupiter's moon that would keep them occupied for a month?
What really intrest me is whether God had any choice in the creation of the universe ~ Albert Einstein

fromthehills
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby fromthehills » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:55 pm

rrichar911 wrote:I don't think anyone lives on the moon. If they were there they were visiting. Why would they stay for a month? What would they be doing on Jupiter's moon that would keep them occupied for a month?

Translating Morse Code perhaps.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:36 pm

fromthehills wrote:
rrichar911 wrote:What would they be doing on Jupiter's moon that would keep them occupied for a month?

That's an interesting answer for a couple reasons. We are all creatures from the planet earth. The speed at which our "earth-evolved" chemical processes take place and thus the speed that we perceive things is probably unique to earth. Because we share the same DNA as all other earth living things and we interact with them I propose that life on earth has a homogenous "speed"

However the aliens from planet "X" may have evolved with a different chemical system and life on their planet may have a very different perception speed to life on earth. When Richard said "What would they do on Jupiter's moon for a month" I think we have to consider that a month to "us" may be a "moment" to the aliens. ( This is why I don't think "Star Trek" simultaneous alien translators will ever be a reality. I will stand in from of the Green Blob from planet "X" and want to talk about earth yet it may be a year before the Green Blob says "Start communicating now" and this would seem natural to the Green Blob.

numan
BANNED

Postby numan » Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:07 am

'
Matthew Ellard wrote:( This is why I don't think "Star Trek" simultaneous alien translators will ever be a reality. I will stand in from of the Green Blob from planet "X" and want to talk about earth yet it may be a year before the Green Blob says "Start communicating now" and this would seem natural to the Green Blob.

If that were true, then there would have not been enough time in the history of the universe for them to have reached a technological level of development.

Try again, Matthew.
Neither man nor woman can be worth anything until they have discovered that they are fools. This is the first step toward becoming either estimable or agreeable---and until it is taken, there is no hope.

numan
BANNED

Postby numan » Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:12 am

'
rrichar911 wrote:I don't think anyone lives on the moon. If they were there they were visiting. Why would they stay for a month? What would they be doing on Jupiter's moon that would keep them occupied for a month?

It's just an "unmanned" communication station monitoring the vicinity of the solar system.
Neither man nor woman can be worth anything until they have discovered that they are fools. This is the first step toward becoming either estimable or agreeable---and until it is taken, there is no hope.

Gord
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Postby Gord » Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:10 am

Matthew Ellard wrote:
fromthehills wrote:
rrichar911 wrote:What would they be doing on Jupiter's moon that would keep them occupied for a month?

That's an interesting answer for a couple reasons. We are all creatures from the planet earth. The speed at which our "earth-evolved" chemical processes take place and thus the speed that we perceive things is probably unique to earth. Because we share the same DNA as all other earth living things and we interact with them I propose that life on earth has a homogenous "speed"

Nahhhh. Even the beasties on earth live at different "speeds." For example, a television program would look like a very boring slide show to many creatures, or as a meaningless blur to others.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

rrichar911
Perpetual Poster

Postby rrichar911 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 5:49 am

Well, I decided to do a science experiment of my own. After down loading Morse code, cranking up the Ham radio, and pointing the antenna toward Jupiter, I sent this message.

Yo alien dudes, whass up? You not talking to me buddy?

It only took about 20 minutes before I got a response, which if I decoded it right says.

Yo mamma wears combat boots.
What really intrest me is whether God had any choice in the creation of the universe ~ Albert Einstein

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:44 am

numan wrote:'
Matthew Ellard wrote:( This is why I don't think "Star Trek" simultaneous alien translators will ever be a reality. I will stand in from of the Green Blob from planet "X" and want to talk about earth yet it may be a year before the Green Blob says "Start communicating now" and this would seem natural to the Green Blob.

If that were true, then there would have not been enough time in the history of the universe for them to have reached a technological level of development.

Try again, Matthew.

Numan, the universe is 13 billion years old. Please explain in detail "your theory" that 13 billion years is not enough time for a slow alien to develop technology that humans have had for only 80,000 years.

I don't think you can do this. I think you have just opened your mouth again to seek attention. Can you find a witty quote from tyour beloved Oxford English book of popular quotations to answer this? No? Does your Stephen Hawking avatar hide your inability to do this? No? Can you do it using your own brain? No?

Major Malfunction
Has No Life
Custom Title: Dérailleur Énigmatique

Postby Major Malfunction » Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:11 am

It's Percival Stevens. Duh.
This being was produced using the same process as other beings, and therefore, may contain traces of nuts.

numan
BANNED

Postby numan » Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:27 pm

'
Matthew Ellard wrote:Numan, the universe is 13 billion years old. Please explain in detail "your theory" that 13 billion years is not enough time for a slow alien to develop technology that humans have had for only 80,000 years.

Matthew, I still hold the opinion that you are, upon occasion, capable of displaying intelligence. Please do not disappoint me.

It has taken 4.6 billion years for the planet Earth to produce a technological society (I can't call it a "civilization"), not 80,000 years. That is one-third the estimated age of the universe.

If a year of our time seemed to be a few seconds for the aliens, it would take many, many trillions of years for them to produce a technological society. Please engage your brain, Matthew.

I won't comment on the rest of your posting, since it is just your usual time-wasting argumenta ad hominem.

Dimebag
Regular Poster

Postby Dimebag » Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:28 am

Even if a "slow" alien species did manage to reach a technological point which allowed interstellar space travel, it stands to reason that they would have sought technological ways to improve their biology so they could mentally keep up with a lowly bottom feeding dead plant burning species. Surely the theory of evolution also encourages all life forms, even alien species to compete physically, and therefore to have better and faster mental and physical abilities. I would imagine in a competitive ecosystem this bbettering occurs naturally, so most likely IMO any capable spacefaring alien species would be atleast as mentally quick as us, and possibly due to technology, can change it's mental faculties to meet a situation.

rrichar911
Perpetual Poster

Postby rrichar911 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:54 am

Matthew Ellard wrote:Numan, the universe is 13 billion years old. Please explain in detail "your theory" that 13 billion years is not enough time for a slow alien to develop technology that humans have had for only 80,000 years.

Matthew, I still hold the opinion that you are, upon occasion, capable of displaying intelligence. Please do not disappoint me.

It has taken 4.6 billion years for the planet Earth to produce a technological society (I can't call it a "civilization"), not 80,000 years. That is one-third the estimated age of the universe.

If a year of our time seemed to be a few seconds for the aliens, it would take many, many trillions of years for them to produce a technological society. Please engage your brain, Matthew.

I won't comment on the rest of your posting, since it is just your usual time-wasting argumenta ad hominem.

The age of the universe from the local space time of earth is ~ 14 billion years. That does not say from a different local space time, it is not much older, or younger, thus in other parts of the universe life have existed for much longer, say 50 billion years, and thus evolved more.

Time is relative, the whole universe does not revolve around us, or tick to our clock, only we do.

If you lived on earths moon, where gravity is ~ 1/6th that of earth, the universe is older. Exactly how much older, you can compute via gravitational time dilation, which is a real effect. i.e. the universe actually is older. The reason it actually is older is due to the fact that time is a dimension of space-time, which can be viewed as the most fundamental building block of existence. Change it, and you actually do change the reality of existence, not just a perception of change.

Dimebag
Regular Poster

Postby Dimebag » Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:03 am

But isn't space expanding in the same way irregardless of what point in space an observer is? Rrichar911, Can you please provide some kind of reference to support your statement that the age of the universe may vary depending on location, otherewise we should assume the universe is roughly 14B years old throughout the universe.

rrichar911
Perpetual Poster

Postby rrichar911 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:08 am

Dimebag wrote:But isn't space expanding in the same way irregardless of what point in space an observer is? Rrichar911, Can you please provide some kind of reference to support your statement that the age of the universe may vary depending on location, otherewise we should assume the universe is roughly 14B years old throughout the universe.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravitatio ... e_dilation

Gravitational time dilation is the effect of time passing at different rates in regions of different gravitational potential; the lower the gravitational potential, the more slowly time passes

The universe would be the same age as it is on earth only to people who lived on a planet with the same gravitational potential as earth. A smaller planet and the universe is older, a heavier planet and the universe is younger.

Time dilation due to spacial expansion is a different effect from either time dilation in SR (special relativity) due to velocity, or gravitational time dilation in GR ( general relativity) due to gravity. They are all however real effects because they all involve changes in space-time, the changes are just for different reasons.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:04 am

numan wrote:' Matthew, I still hold the opinion that you are, upon occasion, capable of displaying intelligence. Please do not disappoint me.

I'm not going to disappoint you. I'm simply going to make you look stupid in the next paragraph.

numan wrote: It has taken 4.6 billion years for the planet Earth to produce a technological society (I can't call it a "civilization"), not 80,000 years. That is one-third the estimated age of the universe.

So Numan......
what was the level of technology on earth at 1 billion years?
what was the level of technology on earth at 2 billion years?
what was the level of technology on earth at 3 billion years?
what was the level of technology on earth at 4 billion years?
(Hint...there wasn't any technology 600,000 years ago. When did the neolithic period kick in?)

So Numan.....
Why would an alien green blob from another planet care about how old earth is?
(Hint.... the alien isn't from earth and could be from an older planet...you really need to think before posting)

numan wrote: If a year of our time seemed to be a few seconds for the aliens, it would take many, many trillions of years for them to produce a technological society. Please engage your brain, Matthew.

I really don't think aliens will need to drive cars, watch TV and post on forums for me to try to communicate with them. You added your own "Star Trek" based knowledge in your own assumption. I can talk to homo sapiens 80,000 years ago as well as a modern homo sapiens. (Hint they are the same species regardless of their technological development level.) .

numan wrote: I won't comment on the rest of your posting, since it is just your usual time-wasting argumenta ad hominem.

What? No quote from the Oxford English book of famous quotations? But this is your best and only trick! (other than using intelligent people's avatars )

fromthehills
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby fromthehills » Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:46 pm

I'm still not convinced that technologically advanced alien races wouldn't be humanoid, to some degree. We know that the opposable thumb and gift of speech is what gave us the advantage over other species on Earth. Bigger brains and walking upright paid off, but were quite the gamble. I'm not sure that advanced sentient life on another planet wouldn't have similar evolutionary requirements.

numan
BANNED

Postby numan » Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:40 pm

'

Matthew, your last posting was even more addled than your usual standard. No point in commenting on it.

numan
BANNED

Postby numan » Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:42 pm

'
rrichar911 wrote:The age of the universe from the local space time of earth is ~ 14 billion years. That does not say from a different local space time, it is not much older, or younger, thus in other parts of the universe life have existed for much longer, say 50 billion years, and thus evolved more.

That is a well-known, hypothetical speculation----completely without observational confirmation.

numan
BANNED

Postby numan » Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:45 pm

'
Dimebag wrote:But isn't space expanding in the same way irregardless....

"Irregardless" is not a word: what you want to write is "regardless."

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:20 pm

fromthehills wrote:I'm still not convinced that technologically advanced alien races wouldn't be humanoid, to some degree. We know that the opposable thumb and gift of speech is what gave us the advantage over other species on Earth. Bigger brains and walking upright paid off, but were quite the gamble. I'm not sure that advanced sentient life on another planet wouldn't have similar evolutionary requirements.

Well I don't really know either. ( and proud to admit it!)

It would seem reasonable to me that some aliens will come from liquid or thicker based atmosphere environments. In that case walking upright would be a real disadvantage. I also imagine that some alien environments will have heavier or lighter gravity and therefore multiple legs may be the evolutionary advantage.

In the liquid environment there will be no ability to communicate by "talking through the air", so some other communication system may flourish. Perhaps the green blob aliens from "Waterworld" have to touch each other to communicate. Perhaps the flying flashing stingray aliens from "Low gravity & low light world" flash different colours from their flippers to warn their fellow aliens "dinner is ready"

I reckon when we are going to get some huge suprises when we first come across "aliens".

Pyrrho
Administrator

Postby Pyrrho » Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:10 pm

If the aliens are lucky, we'll never find them. The archetype of the evil, voracious invaders from outer space is us.
For any forum questions or concerns please e-mail skepticforum@gmail.com or send a PM.

The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

numan
BANNED

Postby numan » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:16 am

'
Well, we will obviously destroy ourselves if we don't settle down and become rational and nice.

Aliens have nothing to fear from the likes of us!

OlegTheBatty
True Skeptic
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Postby OlegTheBatty » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:26 am

Humans are very adaptable. We are quite capable of settling down and becoming rational and nice long enough to survive until we can colonize another planet or 2, then, it's :yahoo: Lebensraum!
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

numan
BANNED

Postby numan » Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:32 am

'

Being rational and over-breeding are mutually exclusive.

Flash
Has More Than 6K Posts

Postby Flash » Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:56 am

There are no gods, no aliens. We are all alone in a {!#%@} up Universe. It's all a fluke, can't you get it? :roll:
When I feel like exercising, I just lie down until the feeling goes away. Paul Terry

OlegTheBatty
True Skeptic

Postby OlegTheBatty » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:20 am

Being rational and over-breeding are mutually exclusive.

Only if you try them both at the same time.
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:43 am

numan wrote:Matthew, your last posting was even more addled than your usual standard. No point in commenting on it.

Why, why, why did you post that?

Here's a hint: My question was rhet-, rhet-, rhetorical.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
#ANDAMOVIE

numan
BANNED

Postby numan » Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:26 pm

'
Gord wrote:Why, why, why did you post that?

Well, as you imply, the same question may be asked about your own posting.

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:00 am

Gord wrote:Why, why, why did you post that?

Well, as you imply, the same question may be asked about your own posting.

Thank you, Mr. Explaintheobvious.
#ANDAMOVIE

fromthehills
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby fromthehills » Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:49 am

Matthew Ellard wrote:
fromthehills wrote:I'm still not convinced that technologically advanced alien races wouldn't be humanoid, to some degree. We know that the opposable thumb and gift of speech is what gave us the advantage over other species on Earth. Bigger brains and walking upright paid off, but were quite the gamble. I'm not sure that advanced sentient life on another planet wouldn't have similar evolutionary requirements.

Well I don't really know either. ( and proud to admit it!)

It would seem reasonable to me that some aliens will come from liquid or thicker based atmosphere environments. In that case walking upright would be a real disadvantage. I also imagine that some alien environments will have heavier or lighter gravity and therefore multiple legs may be the evolutionary advantage.

In the liquid environment there will be no ability to communicate by "talking through the air", so some other communication system may flourish. Perhaps the green blob aliens from "Waterworld" have to touch each other to communicate. Perhaps the flying flashing stingray aliens from "Low gravity & low light world" flash different colours from their flippers to warn their fellow aliens "dinner is ready"

I reckon when we are going to get some huge suprises when we first come across "aliens".

I hear you, and have the imagination for it. But I'm having trouble with the idea of, say a blob, or stingray type being having the ability to use tools effectively, which I think would be fairly important. Let's face it, a brilliant mind in an ineffective body can't go very far without the assistance of someone that's handy with tools, and can produce the vision into reality. So even if the dominant being is a blob, they have to have another evolved creature that has some appendages, and the cognitive ability to use them effectively. This doesn't mean that sentient life has to be a tool wielding species, but to be technologically advanced, I'd think it would be a necessity.

rrichar911
Perpetual Poster

Postby rrichar911 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:39 am

rrichar911 wrote:The age of the universe from the local space time of earth is ~ 14 billion years. That does not say from a different local space time, it is not much older, or younger, thus in other parts of the universe life have existed for much longer, say 50 billion years, and thus evolved more.

That is a well-known, hypothetical speculation----completely without observational confirmation.

Only if Relativity is classified as a speculation, and has not been observationally confirmed.

fromthehills
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby fromthehills » Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:47 am

fromthehills wrote:
Matthew Ellard wrote:

I hear you, and have the imagination for it......

Of course, it's hard to leap out of my own experience of how things work.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:28 am

fromthehills wrote: I hear you, and have the imagination for it. But I'm having trouble with the idea of, say a blob, or stingray type being having the ability to use tools effectively, which I think would be fairly important. Let's face it, a brilliant mind in an ineffective body can't go very far without the assistance of someone that's handy with tools, and can produce the vision into reality. So even if the dominant being is a blob, they have to have another evolved creature that has some appendages, and the cognitive ability to use them effectively. This doesn't mean that sentient life has to be a tool wielding species, but to be technologically advanced, I'd think it would be a necessity.

I think we have to be careful with the word "tools". The dolphin like creature with many arms from "Flipper world" may have a different range of hydraulic tools, water pressure tools, etc than we could have ever considered on earth. ( OK I'm not sure how they would invent "fire" but I'm not sure how a earthling caveman would invent "water pressure cooking" which may be normal on "Flipper-World"). I think any life form would have its unique way of developing/evolving its technology, due to it's environment and would end up with a different "final technology"

Therefore the fat, self inflating, many armed, hydrogen filled blobs of "Float-world" would be saying "Those stupid humans for earth, how could they use proper tools if they cannot even fly" and saying so on the Floating Blob Skeptics Forum (Moderator Blobpyrrho

numan
BANNED

Postby numan » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:32 am

'
Gord wrote:Thank you, Mr. Explaintheobvious.

I am well aware how vitally important on these forums is my skill at explaining the obvious.

OlegTheBatty
True Skeptic

Postby OlegTheBatty » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:49 am

Gord wrote:Thank you, Mr. Explaintheobvious.

I am well aware how vitally important on these forums is my skill at explaining the obvious.

Ahhh, if only that were true. :wistful:

fablerede

Postby fablerede » Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:59 am

Well light doesn't travel through space instantly, so I doubt sound does. It could have taken a month for the message to get to Ganymede and then the reply to get back.

Return to “UFOs, Cryptozoology, and The Paranormal”