The People Who Can't Wear Watches

PSI, Mediums, Ghosts, UFOs, Things That Go Bump In The Night
Gord
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Re: The People Who Can't Wear Watches

Postby Gord » Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:47 pm

Diseal wrote:No I did not whear my watches in the MRI machines, that would have not only been bad for the test, but also due to the strong fields and the pulseing of HIRFs and the and pulsing of the radiation tubes as they exposed the sensors, all of these would cause enough friction to turn any steel, red hot. For some MRI test a patents can only have a hospital robe on, but those are the full body 2.5 Tesla style MRIs.

Okay, I stand corrected.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

JO 753
Has No Life
Custom Title: rezident owtsidr

Postby JO 753 » Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:49 pm

JO 753 wrote:An average man (170 poundz) haz about 1.02 poundz uv iron in him, .006%. More than I thought, but still, for the reazonz I listed, not going to affect any watch.

OOOPS!

Sorry, I multiplied 170 by .006. Shoud hav been .00006, so therez only .0102 poundz, ruffly 1/6 ounce.
(unless I'm goofing up the decimal placez again, then its less. Or More!)

Diseal

Postby Diseal » Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:05 am

placing a watch on a magnet , no matter how powerful it is, dose not have the same effect as if it where passed by the magnet as a wrist watch dose on ones arm thought a days worth or arm movements. If there was a reputable source for an average amount or movement and distance traveled by the watch then the above experiment designed with the above suggestion then that would be much more meaningful then 4-5 seconds on "speaker of your cell phone". More over perhaps this would be a great suggestion for a future Mythbusters' episode, I know I am submitting it now. :-)

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:41 am

JO 753 wrote:Sorry, I multiplied 170 by .006. Shoud hav been .00006, so therez only .0102 poundz, ruffly 1/6 ounce.

Great. I just had the t-shirt made up, too. Am I going to have to check your math every time?!
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
#ANDAMOVIE

OlegTheBatty
True Skeptic
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Postby OlegTheBatty » Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:48 am

Gord wrote:
JO 753 wrote:Sorry, I multiplied 170 by .006. Shoud hav been .00006, so therez only .0102 poundz, ruffly 1/6 ounce.

Great. I just had the t-shirt made up, too. Am I going to have to check your math every time?!

Not at all. You will know right off the bat that JO's figures are too high, too low, or spot on. No checking needed.
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:51 am

OlegTheBatty wrote:
Gord wrote:

Not at all. You will know right off the bat that JO's figures are too high, too low, or spot on. No checking needed.

What is this, the "corrupt a wish" thread?

I wish it wasn't!
#ANDAMOVIE

Diseal

Postby Diseal » Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:35 am

P.S. Cell phone speakers magnets are not any where near 1.02lbs.

JO 753
Has No Life

Postby JO 753 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:54 pm

Didnt say they were. My point iz that they are way the hell stronger per unit weight than plain iron magnets.

And dont forget, the strength uv a magnetic field decreasez by the square uv the distance frum the center uv the source.

I machine steel & iron occasionaly and I keep my fone away frum the action. Still, I hav to clean chips out uv the grill fairly often and if I keep the fone long enuff, I'll need to take it apart and clean the iron dust off the speaker diafram.

ObstreperousMiss

Postby ObstreperousMiss » Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:02 pm

I am also someone who cannot wear watches without killing them.
All through Jr High and High School I went through at least two watches per year. I'd be given a new watch at Christmas and by my birthday in April it needed a new battery. I would replace the battery, and within weeks it would be dead, and no matter how many times I replaced the battery it wouldn't revive the watch. So I'd get a new watch, and go through the same process all over again.
I then tried wearing a watch hanging on my backpack or purse. That watch lasted almost a year, but it too died, never to be revived.
I finally gave up after killing more than a dozen watches.
When in my early 20's, I was talking to an old jeweler about it, and he said that my body's electrical impluse resonates at such a frequency as to intefere with the resonation of the quartz within the watch.
It is a theory that makes sense, since our bodies are driven by electrical impulses, but as of yet I've not found research or proof. Or even disproof.

Poodle
Has More Than 8K Posts
Custom Title: Regular sleeper

Postby Poodle » Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:34 pm

ObstreperousMiss wrote: ... When in my early 20's, I was talking to an old jeweler about it, and he said that my body's electrical impluse resonates at such a frequency as to intefere with the resonation of the quartz within the watch.
It is a theory that makes sense, since our bodies are driven by electrical impulses, but as of yet I've not found research or proof. Or even disproof.

Contact your government immediately. I suspect they may want to talk to you.

JO 753
Has No Life

Postby JO 753 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:41 pm

ObstreperousMiss wrote:When in my early 20's, I was talking to an old jeweler about it, and he said that my body's electrical impluse resonates at such a frequency as to intefere with the resonation of the quartz within the watch..

Soundz like a reasonable hypothosis. Coud lead to sum very interesting new teknolojy.
Gubmint for us
http://www.7532020.com
not the rich.

landrew
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby landrew » Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:46 pm

JO 753 wrote:
ObstreperousMiss wrote:When in my early 20's, I was talking to an old jeweler about it, and he said that my body's electrical impluse resonates at such a frequency as to intefere with the resonation of the quartz within the watch..

Soundz like a reasonable hypothosis. Coud lead to sum very interesting new teknolojy.

Is that some sort of Nooalf/English hybrid you're speaking?
The job of a skeptic is to investigate the unexplained; not to explain the uninvestigated.

corymaylett
Regular Poster

Postby corymaylett » Sat Aug 27, 2011 6:57 pm

Nearly three months late on this, but...

Diseal wrote:So it is possible for the iron in the patients blood to become polarized with the magnet from the MRI, just like the same as running a nail across a magnet several times. This polarization never fades due to the newly arriving iron being polarized by the older surrounding iron containing red blood cells.

Sorry, but you're mistaken.

Hemoglobin is a large, complex protein molecule. The iron atoms in hemoglobin are located in subunits of the molecule called "hemes." Each heme, as JO 753 pointed out, contains a single iron atom that is bonded to other surrounding non-iron atoms.

For iron (or anything else, like nickel or cobalt, for example) to display ferromagnetic properties, a "magnetic domain" must be created where the magnetic moments of the atoms within a section of the material in question align with one another. When a block of iron, for example, is exposed to a strong magnetic field, that field tends to create magnetic domains within the iron. It's the creation of these domains that result in a permanent magnet (semi-permanent, really) that retains its magnetism, and its own magnetic field, after the external magnetic field is removed.

With all this in mind, some iron compounds are ferromagnetic and some aren't. It really all depends on whether or not magnetic domains can be formed within bulk associations of the compound molecules. The hemoglobin protein molecule, like any protein, cannot form magnetic domains, is not ferromagnetic and is not capable of permanent magnetism.

Even though hemoglobin is not ferromagnetic, it is slightly paramagnetic. This means it interacts weakly and over short distances with magnetic fields. This very slight interaction with the magnetic field in an MRI, for example, is really too weak to make any difference given the turbulence in the blood stream. Unlike ferromagnetic materials, paramagnetic substances do not retain any magnetism of their own once the external magnetic field is removed.

So responding directly to Diseal's assertions... Is the iron in the bloodstream affected by the strong magnetic fields from an MRI procedure? Well, the hemoglobin molecules are, but the paramagnetic (as opposed to ferromagnetic) interactions are extremely weak, utterly negligible and for all practical purposes, not detectable. Can the iron in the bloodstream be permanently magnetized by an MRI? Short answer: "No." Longer answer: For that to happen it would mean that the currently accepted theories of electromagnetism are wrong. And since there's not the slightest bit of residual magnetism that's ever been detected in post-MRI blood, I'll stick my neck out and say that it's not possible to magnetize either hemoglobin or the iron atoms contained within the molecules.

JO 753
Has No Life

Postby JO 753 » Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:39 pm

landrew wrote:Is that some sort of Nooalf/English hybrid you're speaking?

No. Do you hav sum sorta text to speech software reading this to you?

landrew
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby landrew » Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:44 pm

JO 753 wrote:
landrew wrote:Is that some sort of Nooalf/English hybrid you're speaking?

No. Do you hav sum sorta text to speech software reading this to you?

I could try it, but I have a feeling it would crash on your posts.
The job of a skeptic is to investigate the unexplained; not to explain the uninvestigated.

rickoshay85
Veteran Poster

Postby rickoshay85 » Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:56 pm

Bart Stewart wrote:Here's one that I don't think we have ever discussed.

I've known various people over years, including two relatives, who insist they cannot wear wrist watches because they invariably stop working after a short period of time. No these are not jack-hammer operators, just regular folks who say that they have given up on wrist watches after multiple failed attempts to find a one that will function on their wrist. The implication is that close contact with the person is causing the mechanism to fail.

It is interesting on a few different counts. One is that, while I have no statistics on this, I seem to recall several people over the years making this claim, and often saying that they know of other people who have the same problem. It makes me wonder how widespread this is. Secondly, I have never seen it mentioned in any of the paranormalist literature or TV shows. I am always more interested in mysteries in which nobody is making a profit on it. Also, unlike transient phenomena (ghosts and UFOs) this one involves something solid - a watch that won't work. And apparently it could be replicated, as these people are saying watches just don't work on them. On the psychological side, the people I know who make the claim seem strangely accepting of this bizarre situation. They shrug it off.

I have wondered if perspiration could be involved. If not excessive perspiration, could it be a mineral or chemical in their sweat that is getting into the watch and gumming it up? Seems unlikely, but not as much as exotic energy fields. One claim I have heard is that magnetic fields are to blame. So are there people who have trouble keeping other mechanisms working in contact with their body? How about pacemakers and artificial hearts?

Just another little mystery to solve. I suppose it could all be imaginary, except that these folks would prefer to know what time it is, but they can't wear a watch.

Watches just don't like them. Stopping is the only way they'd be free...
What we think, or what we know, or what we believe is, in the end, of little consequence. The only consequence is WHAT WE DO. John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Major Malfunction
Has No Life
Custom Title: Dérailleur Énigmatique

Postby Major Malfunction » Sun Aug 28, 2011 3:53 am

My Mum can't wear a watch. She has a nickel allergy. It's 24 carat gold, or nothing.
This being was produced using the same process as other beings, and therefore, may contain traces of nuts.

Absinthia
Custom Title: OICU812

Postby Absinthia » Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:49 pm

I find this an interesting topic as I am also a person who can't wear watches. (Mechanical movement or quartz. I simply WON'T wear digital).

When I was younger, I chalked it up to cheap watches, then as my economic status improved, I bought better watches. I was even given a rather expensive (relatively speaking) watch as encouragement to move out of Toronto (they called it a "goodbye gift"). Within a month, they all died. And they never worked again. I wish I'd kept the mechanical movement ones, though, for craft reasons.

In 1991, I converted to neo-paganism and finally had an answer to my watch dilemma - it was something in my bioelectrical aura...or something like that. I can't remember the exact mumbo-jumbo.

Well, I grew out of that. I had an anti-epiphany, which may be imprecise but I like the sound/connotations of it. And now I have no explanation as to why I can't wear watches.

It doesn't keep me awake at night. I do not support the use of public funds to research it. But I do find it interesting.

nerd7334

Postby nerd7334 » Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:04 pm

ha this is funny I couldn't wear digis either when I was younger. When CD players first came out, they would stop playing if I got to close, start up as soon as I walked away. The display would stop working as well but you could still hear the CD spinning in the player.

And yes I used it as a party trick for years! I would be at someone's house and walk over and put my hand about a foot from the back of the player and no more music or display. I or someone with me was always accused of having the remote and would have to lay it on a table in plain view with no one near it. Only worked for about 5 or 6 years though, they'd prolly developed better shielding for the components by then. :-)

rickoshay85
Veteran Poster

Postby rickoshay85 » Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:21 pm

Major Malfunction wrote:My Mum can't wear a watch. She has a nickel allergy. It's 24 carat gold, or nothing.

With 24 carat gold approaching $2,000 an ounce, you'd better get her to settle for 18, 14, or even 10 carat.
What we think, or what we know, or what we believe is, in the end, of little consequence. The only consequence is WHAT WE DO. John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

WatchStopper

Postby WatchStopper » Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:44 am

I cannot wear watches that work based on quartz crystals. Wind up watches seem to work for me reasonably well, but any watch that relies on a quartz crystal for time-keeping ultimately dies. The time-frame is adjustable. (I contribute this to my stress level.) I have watched the second hand on my watch stop, then resume function multiple times. I am unable to wear regular wristwatches. The watches, other than wind-ups, that have lasted the longest for me are clip-on pocket watches. I attribute their lasting for months as opposed to days to the layers of clothing separating them from my body. I am 31 and my parents (being frugal) saved my childhood "broken watches" with the idea of "fixing them." They have an entire shoe box full of my old watches. Unfortunately, a new battery does not work. I do not abuse my watches, nor do I "bang" them around. It just happens. I also get an unusual reaction from Van de Graaff machines. Even with the low-grade high school chemistry class versions that are only capable of creating a tiny static spark (normally,) I earned a 6 inch multi-forked lightning strike as I began to approach the device. I get shocked off of anything and everything so much it is considered (to me) to be a normal everyday experience. Something is going on. I have heard it is a strong personal electromagnetic field. I don't know. All I know is that it happens, and that I can count on it, and purchasing watches is pointless.

JO 753
Has No Life

Postby JO 753 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:57 am

Maybe you're not properly anchored in our timeline.
Gubmint for us
http://www.7532020.com
not the rich.

rickoshay85
Veteran Poster

Postby rickoshay85 » Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:09 pm

JO 753 wrote:Maybe you're not properly anchored in our timeline.

Or maybe has a face that will stop a clock, just kidding...

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Tue Oct 18, 2011 3:35 am

rickoshay85 wrote:
JO 753 wrote:Maybe you're not properly anchored in our timeline.

Or maybe has a face that will stop a clock, just kidding...

Not his face, it's his wrist. One really, really ugly wrist, maybe?

Just spitballin'!
#ANDAMOVIE

Major Malfunction
Has No Life
Custom Title: Dérailleur Énigmatique

Postby Major Malfunction » Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:26 pm

I think he should just ditch the polyester for cotton, lift his feet when walking instead of shuffling, and stop relying on McHappy Meals as his primary source of time-pieces.
This being was produced using the same process as other beings, and therefore, may contain traces of nuts.

Feliks
Custom Title: Pardon my English

Postby Feliks » Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:04 pm

It s very difficult to account for all the things we do over the course of a day. You might be "the sort of person" that moves your limbs with less accuracy than others. Even if you try to act carefully with your watch, you can't possibly be aware of all your movements throughout the day. There is also the matter of coincidences. Poor workmanship, buying your watches from the same store (they might be careless with storage or handling etc) or simply the coincidence of your watch simply happening to stop twice in a row. Coincidences are easy to dismiss, but they do happen. And to quote House: Everybody lies.

If you ask me, these are by far more explanatory than the idea that it's our own magnetic field etc. that disrupts the watch mechanisms - if that was the case, then it would happen at a far greater scale.
At first, God said :

Rot E = -dB/dt
Div D = rho
Div B = 0
Rot H = j + dD/dt

and then, there was the light. (J.C. Maxwell)

JO 753
Has No Life

Postby JO 753 » Thu Nov 24, 2011 3:03 pm

I think it happenz on a big scale now.

Feliks
Custom Title: Pardon my English

Postby Feliks » Thu Nov 24, 2011 4:01 pm

Still, there are many possible explanations. I smell confirmation bias, though.
At first, God said :

Rot E = -dB/dt
Div D = rho
Div B = 0
Rot H = j + dD/dt

and then, there was the light. (J.C. Maxwell)

Inkchick1111

Postby Inkchick1111 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:41 pm

I'm a few yrs late depending on which post any one person reviews, in fact I ran across this website when I was searching for answers about myself. I've run into more people than I care to remember that have made such claims, claims to be exactly like all the individuals who really are different for one reason or another. I've come to the conclusion the new fad in life is to pretend to "hate" everything you are by indulging ones delusions of being a steady-fast true individual. In no way am I honestly this cynical despite my opening statement, I just grew up in Las Vegas, NV... the home of false character.

My entire life I've had unexplained situations happen & always at the oddest times. Walking home from school in the middle of the day to have street lights randomly blink overhead (also @ night), cellphones drop service as I'm standing near a tower or turn off for absolutely no reason, countless watches w/ brand new batteries stop working or spin the wrong direction, fuzzy MRI photos, being told I was so severely sick that I hadn't much time left -to- having a perfect bill of health declared (after hrs of repeating the same tests/this w/ multiple specialist), freezing televisions, crashing every computer/laptop I've ever come into contact w/, light bulbs burning out by merely changing batteries (brand new flashlight, batteries and/or bulbs), turning on party cups w/ flashing light mechanisms by walking past the kitchen (and not being able to turn them off w/out removing the batteries)... the list goes on & all of these increase w/ there complications the more upset/angry I am.

Now I've discovered after much search having the street lights turn off while walking and/or driving by happens more often than not; in my search it stated the vibrations of vehicles passing over the wires cause the lights sensory to glitch. Typically if the bulbs go out when walking by it's simply a faulty wire that needs changing; it's said that when the average person walks on the sidewalks @ night they tend to walk near the base of the pole, furthest from the streets b/c of a natural reaction in having our "safety" circumference invaded aka pushing/forcing us to walk closer to the passing vehicles. I know as a child I had a tendency to actually walk on the base to see if I could balance (which never happened w/out grasping for the pole) on the slippery slanting metal but what I found interesting, going down this memory lane, the lights never went out when I was climbing, kicking or hitting the pole but when I reached my teens out-of-nowhere they're turning off. Maybe due to weight? I can't honestly say, I've always been lucky to have a steady metabolism & haven't gained much weight since my early teens (I'm almost 30 now) regardless this has been my experiences w/ such.

I have always been into typing, the sound of the keyboard & the speed in which I picked it up (yes I'm a proud nerd & I'm damn sexy while being one) has made it apart of my life since grade school. In 5th grade I took my first computer course & it continued yearly until I graduated from high school; always @ the top of my class the other students came to me for help constantly but it was always a request w/ one major condition... I had to stand away from the computer while talking them through their problem. If I touched the computer, it felt for any length of time, I would crash their system causing all their hard work to disappear... including their saved files. Oddly enough I rarely crashed my own @ school but after class was over it was impossible for any student to use "my" computer until I came back the next day. It got to the point my principal scheduled my computer class for 6th period (my last period from 9th-11th grade) but my 1st period started 15 minutes later than everyone else b/c I had to hit up the computer lab to get it working. I understand it sounds entirely made up, I don't expect any one to believe me & truthfully I don't care if you do but when I saw the topic, that someone else out there was searching for answers instead of chucking it up to "whatever" I figured why not share my story.

Another phenomenon that has occurred my entire life, this in my opinion being the most fascinating, I've had what I call minimal spontaneous combustion. Let me explain... doesn't matter the time of yr, what season, temperature outside/inside nor if I'm wearing chap-stick/lip gloss; randomly my upper lip will began to burn from the inside out until red streaks appear. Within minutes I have blisters forming just below the lining of my top lip stretching just above it (below my nose); when this happens it doesn't matter what I put on my lips to relieve the pain, it only makes it worse. If it's not my lip (again only my top lip) than it's touching another, mind out of the gutter people. I remember growing up not being able to snuggle up w/ my Mom sometimes b/c the heat between our exposed skin touching was so unbearable for me that it caused physical pain; be it our arms, hands or a simple kiss on the cheek. I can't tell when it's going to happen, there are no warning signs or special circumstances dealing w/ my surroundings to cause it & NEVER can the other person feel the heat I'm feeling. I always ask, "Holy S***, can you feel that? I feel like my skins on fire when I touch you. How can you not feel that? It literally burns, look... my skins turning beat red!" Yet not once has another felt the heat. The best way to describe the feeling: (I'll use two descriptions just in case, mainly for those who don't spend time in the kitchen lol) When the timer goes off, dinner has been cooking in the oven at 375-400 degrees & you open the door, as you reach in to pull the rack out you get blasted in the face w/ a massive heat wave that melts (for you ladies) the mascara on your lashes, clumping them to one another -OR- when you light a match, if you hold it too long & the flame nearly reaches your fingertips. The pain that causes you to instantly curse, wave your hand around & then stick your finger in your mouth or under a cold faucet is exactly what it'll feel like from the moment I touch someones skin until I let go; I've actually turn red & it's caused mini-blisters.

To conclude this all I have to make one last note, I noticed someone had mentioned an EKG machine. I never knew growing up that I had an irregular heart beat, it wasn't until I was 19 when I had a heart attack while driving on the freeway in rush hour traffic on my way home from my Fathers. My vision went entirely black, not blind but actually black (which later was clarified, they're entirely different... somehow), my left arm tingled, my jaw ached & when I arrived to the hospital after almost crashing into the back of a van then a concrete barrier, the nurses found my temperature was 3 different degrees based on 3 different points. My left arm was 97.1, under my tongue was 99.9 & under my right armpit was 98.5. Directly after they hooked me up to an EKG machine where the look on the nurses & doctors faces actually twisted my stomach into fear, perfectly compared... they looked like they just saw a ghost. I was hooked up to an EKG every 2 hrs on the dot for 72 hrs, I was declared a walking miracle & sent to 4 specialists who put me observation for 24 hrs each. Now after all of this, the same astonished facial expression on every face & practically the same words spoken from each mouth, they never once put me on medication BUT every professional immediately requested the name of medication, dose and mg. You've got to love doctors! They ask what kind of medicine you're on, then stop writing in your file from shock you're sitting in front of them alive & discharge you w/out writing you a prescription. =)

Anyways this is my story, if anyone actually has any research or possible intelligent explanations... I'd love to hear from you! P.S. I can feel when there's an electrical (aka lightening) storm coming, when there's high electricity in the air & high EMF outputs throughout buildings w/out having to take a step inside. I've had, playfully, a friend take EMF readings of me standing near absolutely nothing & the needle nearly bounced out of place... I was off the charts.

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:46 am

Inkchick1111 wrote:...if anyone actually has any research or possible intelligent explanations... I'd love to hear from you!

Confirmation bias? :pardon:
#ANDAMOVIE

JO 753
Has No Life

Postby JO 753 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:19 am

Why dont you vizit the Amazing Randy and see if you can claim the prize? :D

Also, there are sum cable showz about people with unusual abilityz.

Skeptic2013

Postby Skeptic2013 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:25 pm

I know that this thread is older but I just started to look up as to why when I wore a wrist watch did it stop. First I need to explain that this happened to me a long time ago and I haven't tested it out for a while because I think I would be disappointed if it didn't work any more. LOL! Anyways, first off, the type of watch that would not work for me was one that was a wind-up watch and the back of it had to touch my skin. I was given a wind-up watch that had a felt-backing and I did not experience any issues. When I wore a watch that touched my skin (and I wore/tried many different makes) all of the watches stopped within 1 hour of putting them on. I would take them off and put aside only to have them start up by themselves within a few minutes. Also the strangest of all things was when I sat next to my mom's grandfather clock. I would sit right next to it and within about 10 minutes you would notice the pendulum start to slow down. Pendulums sway from side to side, right? Well eventually the pendulum would slow its side to side swaying to a complete stop, THEN, start to sway front to back. I use to get in so much trouble because she thought that I was going to break the clock. I am not able to see if I can still make it do that but I have been willed the clock. One day I will try again. LOL! If anyone can explain why this happened to me I would be very grateful. :P

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:03 am

Cleary you exude an anti-clock mist. :P
#ANDAMOVIE

Daedalus
Has More Than 5K Posts
Custom Title: Ave Atque Vale

Postby Daedalus » Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:59 am

Gord wrote:Cleary you exude an anti-clock mist. :P

No no, I think he has a core of dark matter and heavy water.
"Propaganda is a monologue which seeks not a response, but an echo." (W.H. Auden)
"Given time and plenty of paper, philosophers can prove anything." (Robert Heinlein)
"The map is not the territory." (Alfred Korzybski)
“You’re in the desert, you see a tortoise lying on its back, struggling, and you’re not helping — why is that?" (Bladerunner)

scrmbldggs
Has No Life
Custom Title: something

Postby scrmbldggs » Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:03 am

I was thinking halitosis earlier, so you guys agree?
Hi, Io the lurker.

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:47 am

scrmbldggs wrote:I was thinking halitosis earlier, so you guys agree?

No, but have a tic-tac anyway. :P
#ANDAMOVIE

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:05 am

Gord wrote:

Shirley you mean tic toc? :-P
Hi, Io the lurker.

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:58 am

scrmbldggs wrote:
Gord wrote:

Shirley you mean tic toc? :-P

Nope!

And don't call me Shirley. Call me Susan.
#ANDAMOVIE

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:16 am

:roll: Men toll and papamint... :wave: Hi, Sue
Hi, Io the lurker.

kennyc
Has No Life
Custom Title: The Dank Side of the Moon

Postby kennyc » Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:41 am

Paul wrote:
Martin Brock wrote:Never heard of this syndrome before. If these people can't wear any wristwatch, mechanical or electronic, analog or digital, self-winding for battery powered, then I suppose it's mostly psychological. I don't see how any characteristic of an individual (profuse sweating or what have you) could affect all of these watches similarly.

It's also possible that wristwatches have a significant failure rate, and some people are just unlucky. Suppose one out of ten watches fails after a few weeks or months. Then for one out of a thousand people, the first three watches they buy will fail. These people just give up at that point and count themselves among the jinxed.

The claim is more common then people think. However, the scientific explanation is, there is no such real phenomena. If such a claim were true, what do you call it. Where is the documentation.

This.
Kenny A. Chaffin
Art Gallery - Photo Gallery - Writing&Poetry - The Bleeding Edge
"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama

Return to “UFOs, Cryptozoology, and The Paranormal”