The People Who Can't Wear Watches

PSI, Mediums, Ghosts, UFOs, Things That Go Bump In The Night
Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

A word from our sponsors

Postby Matthew Ellard » Thu Nov 19, 2015 4:07 am

notes-on-pic1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
True Skeptic

Re: The People Who Can't Wear Watches

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Thu Nov 19, 2015 7:25 am

Poodle wrote:Try harder. It's taken me a few years, but I reckon I can beat supermarket plonk hands down.

Do you have a major insight? what made you go from ok to mighty fine? Start with grapes or with juice. "One" problem around here is that both the grapes and the juice sell to hobbyists for about the same price as the finished product...and starting with concentrate just doesn't sound right. The hobby is I think too popular!!!
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

Gord
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Postby Gord » Thu Nov 19, 2015 8:41 am

Poodle wrote:Which neatly brings up a salient point - why do unicorns not wear watches?

Watches make unicorns stop working.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

Zonker

Postby Zonker » Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:13 am

Matthew Ellard wrote:
Zonker wrote: You're telling me you're not capable of holding a magnet to a watch? How many tests do you think that takes? lol
Humans are not hand held magnets.

Are we correct to conclude, that you can't provide one example, of human electromagnetic wave emissions stopping a watch?
"Conclude"? I posted earlier that no study has been done that I know of, i.e. something linkable, postable. You can take your watch to my friend in CO, and see it go crazy, fast-forwarding, then going backwards, etc., if you want.

Zonker

Postby Zonker » Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:19 am

Gord wrote:
Zonker wrote:
Gord wrote:
Zonker wrote:...that magnetism stops watches is a known fact, easily testable....

So what were the results of your tests? Or do you rely purely on anecdotes?
You're telling me you're not capable of holding a magnet to a watch? How many tests do you think that takes? lol

I have, and nothing happened.

Look, I'm doing it right now. Okay, you can't look, but I can; I'll describe it to you:

I'm holding a fridge magnet to my watch. The seconds are going by. 7:21:47. 7:21:58. 7:22:07. The thing just keeps on ticking.
Very good. So at this point you can (choose one):

1) gloat, having concluded that you really blew my statements out of the water
2) Try a variety of stronger magnets, to see if the fridge magnets weren't strong enough to do the job
3) Consider what type of watch you have; could be made of non-ferrous parts
4) Pray to the watch gnomes to reveal themselves

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYX-mew8Hfo

www.jcwa.or.jp/en/time/qa/qa10.html

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:52 am

Zonker wrote: You can take your watch to my friend in CO, and see it go crazy, fast-forwarding, then going backwards, etc., if you want.
I simply don't believe you. Get your friend in CO to film himself doing this and JREF will give him a million dollars.

scrmbldggs
Has No Life
Custom Title: something

Postby scrmbldggs » Fri Nov 20, 2015 3:18 am

...or maybe Pop Haydn would be interested. ;)
Hi, Io the lurker.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Fri Nov 20, 2015 3:25 am

scrmbldggs wrote:...or maybe Pop Haydn would be interested. ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUihClfzzME
Zonker. Pop Haydn is a infrequent visitor and member of this forum, who is both a professional magician and a respected debunker who explains classic cons to younger members.

Monster
Perpetual Poster

Postby Monster » Fri Nov 20, 2015 1:32 pm

Zonker wrote: "Conclude"? I posted earlier that no study has been done that I know of, i.e. something linkable, postable. You can take your watch to my friend in CO, and see it go crazy, fast-forwarding, then going backwards, etc., if you want.

What you have there is spectacular. Easily testable, easily verifiable. Your buddy should put a video of this happening on youtube. Make sure the video has very little movement, no cuts, and your buddy's hand and the watch stay in the frame at all time.
Listening twice as much as you speak is a sign of wisdom.

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Fri Nov 20, 2015 3:12 pm

Zonker wrote:
Gord wrote:
Zonker wrote:
Gord wrote:
Zonker wrote:...that magnetism stops watches is a known fact, easily testable....

So what were the results of your tests? Or do you rely purely on anecdotes?
You're telling me you're not capable of holding a magnet to a watch? How many tests do you think that takes? lol

I have, and nothing happened.

Look, I'm doing it right now. Okay, you can't look, but I can; I'll describe it to you:

I'm holding a fridge magnet to my watch. The seconds are going by. 7:21:47. 7:21:58. 7:22:07. The thing just keeps on ticking.

Very good. So at this point you can (choose one):
1) gloat, having concluded that you really blew my statements out of the water

Please don't mistake brevity for gloating.

2) Try a variety of stronger magnets, to see if the fridge magnets weren't strong enough to do the job

Like a human being, right?

3) Consider what type of watch you have; could be made of non-ferrous parts

It is. Why do you think that matters? The working components are still made of the same goo: Microchips are typically made of silicon, while LEDs are usually made of gallium arsenide, gallium phosphide, or gallium arsenide phosphide. And why would a plastic casing prevent a human super-magnet from affecting the workings of the vibrating crystal?

4) Pray to the watch gnomes to reveal themselves

The watch gnomes live next door to me. We watch each other constantly.

I choose the fifth option:

5) Remind you that you're full of {!#%@}.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
#ANDAMOVIE

Poodle
Has More Than 8K Posts
Custom Title: Regular sleeper

Postby Poodle » Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:31 pm

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:
Poodle wrote:Try harder. It's taken me a few years, but I reckon I can beat supermarket plonk hands down.

Do you have a major insight? what made you go from ok to mighty fine? Start with grapes or with juice. "One" problem around here is that both the grapes and the juice sell to hobbyists for about the same price as the finished product...and starting with concentrate just doesn't sound right. The hobby is I think too popular!!!

The clue's already there - years of trying. No major insight, unless it was to go with what I'd learned rather than following what other people claimed they had learned and I needed to know. But one piece of advice - wine is not necessarily made from grapes. No - that's wrong - booze is not necessarily made from grapes. But now I never make anything which doesn't contain grapes in one form or another - not necessarily as a majority ingredient, but enough to provide (I can't think of a better word) grapiness.

You can make an alcoholic beverage from next to nothing plus sugar and yeast. It may not taste great, but it will put you on your back quite efficiently, thank you very much. I've proved that, having published a recipe for alcoholic water (you do need a good supply of Vitamin B, though). So, the production of alcohol is dead easy. The rest is using your own sense of taste and losing the expectation that you can make miracles in a month and a half. In that time, I can make gallons upon gallons of stuff which will keep a party going to the point of unconsciousness. But stuff you might actually want to drink and enjoy - give yourself at least a year of tasting and adjusting and keeping copious notes and then you'll know what went wrong for next time.

And you do get to drink all of your mistakes. Lemonade can make the world's worst homebrew palatable.

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Fri Nov 20, 2015 5:11 pm

Gord wrote:...
5) Remind you that you're full of {!#%@}.

That won't do, Gord. At least not without also giving him his Image
of milk. Or he might reach for his bottle. Of Tylenol.
Hi, Io the lurker.

Major Malfunction
Has No Life
Custom Title: Dérailleur Énigmatique

Postby Major Malfunction » Sat Nov 21, 2015 1:26 am

Poodle wrote:You can make an alcoholic beverage from next to nothing plus sugar and yeast.

Had a mate that used to make that. He called it "Jailhouse".

You can even start a brew with Vegemite, as it's brewer's yeast extract, and still has some live spores. Yeast is fungus, BTW. Ethanol is fungus poo. Just so you know...

Poodle wrote:And you do get to drink all of your mistakes. Lemonade can make the world's worst homebrew palatable.

No. One brew I made was undrinkable. I left it two weeks after fermentation before bottling, and it must've gotten infected. I drank half a glass before I could figure out what that strangely familiar taste was - slime. I named it "Slime Brew", and was going to turf it, but previously mentioned mate drank it all.

Another mate had an infected brew that caused mild psychedelic hallucinations. He regretted not saving some for a starter. It could've been worth a lot of money.
This being was produced using the same process as other beings, and therefore, may contain traces of nuts.

Poodle
Has More Than 8K Posts

Postby Poodle » Sat Nov 21, 2015 1:43 am

You know, I wish I'd never mentioned it. Now everyone will be wanting to have a go.

Major Malfunction
Has No Life

Postby Major Malfunction » Sat Nov 21, 2015 2:43 am

You said "major" twice, and summoned me. You know, speak of the devil.
This being was produced using the same process as other beings, and therefore, may contain traces of nuts.

Poodle
Has More Than 8K Posts

Postby Poodle » Sat Nov 21, 2015 3:01 am

You're right. I did, I had to search hard for the second one, but it's there. A definite summonsing, then, for which I apologise. Ish.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
True Skeptic

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sat Nov 21, 2015 3:22 am

Just saw a great show on tv: "How Beer Saved the World." Tongue in cheek style presentation, but it lays out all the "facts." The Agricultural Revolution started with growing barley, not for Bread, but for Beer...... and it builds up from there to include, all technology, math, writing, medicine.

Makes me feel much better for my absolutions.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.

Poodle
Has More Than 8K Posts

Postby Poodle » Sat Nov 21, 2015 3:37 am

Not so surprising, bobbo (although thanks for the 'heads up') when you consider that drinking the water would probably have killed you. Ale was a method of purification. Not that they particularly knew that at the time, but they certainly would have noticed the death rate amongst tee-totallers. Stay pissed and alive, brothers. Sounds OK to me.

Small beer - that was the stuff which saved humanity. It hovered around the 2% ABV mark (which actually killed nasty micro-organisms) and was consumed in vast quantities. Without small beer, the world today would be very different,

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
True Skeptic

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sat Nov 21, 2015 3:48 am

Yep....show has a whole section on everyone drinking beer from morning to night. They didn't know it, but it was the simple boiling of the wort that killed off all the bad germs. They demonstrated this by making beer from duck pond water that was filled with toxic germs. Duck {!#%@} Beer....as good as the rest!

Pasteur was working on why some beer went bad and applied this all to milk.....and pasteurization. Natural beer also creates tetracycline 3000 years before modern Big Pharma got a patent on the same thing.

Lots of other sensible connections. Worth the watch...Cant tell for sure but the show appears to have been first aired in 2011. Its on an off channel here "American Heroes" not Nature or Nova.

Major Malfunction
Has No Life

Postby Major Malfunction » Sat Nov 21, 2015 4:13 am

Or just boil your water, like the Asians, and add some antiseptic plants for flavour.

But the discovery of beer (you just leave a bucket of grain out in the rain, and it starts to smell tasty, especially if you're really hungry. Bonus it makes you feel funny. Let's do that again!), and civilisation (wow, there sure is a lot of us, now. And most of us are drunk. Where are we going to sleep? And do you mind not punching me while we try to figure this out? Thanks.), are really just fortunate accidents on the way to the Ultimate Goal our ancestors had struggled towards for millions of years... The Bic Lighter. Instant, reliable fire.

We have achieved the Ultimate Goal of all Humanity throughout all time. And that's why society is decaying. We're aimless. We have no dreams left. We're sitting in a comfortable room, full belly, drunk, flicking a lighter on and off, staring into the emptiness of the flickering flame, asking ourselves, "Is this all there is?"

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
True Skeptic

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sat Nov 21, 2015 4:25 am

Dear Old Dad used to say: "Boredom is the Product of a dull mind."

Major Malfunction
Has No Life

Postby Major Malfunction » Sat Nov 21, 2015 4:35 am

Half of Humanity is below average intelligence, which isn't so hot to begin with. Every second person you meet on the street (or Internet) is an idiot. We really need to start taking that into account.

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:47 am

Major Malfunction wrote:Ethanol is fungus poo. Just so you know....

And honey is bee barf. That means mead is just fungus pooed bee barf.
#ANDAMOVIE

Major Malfunction
Has No Life

Postby Major Malfunction » Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:52 am

I don't have any problem with pre-pre-digested foods.

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:53 am

You can be third in the human centipede I'm making back in the lab, then.
#ANDAMOVIE

Major Malfunction
Has No Life

Postby Major Malfunction » Sat Nov 21, 2015 4:07 pm

Arsealingus seems to be a trendy thing these days. I'd hate to be behind.

nmblum88
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby nmblum88 » Sat Nov 21, 2015 5:10 pm

Major Malfunction wrote:Half of Humanity is below average intelligence, which isn't so hot to begin with. Every second person you meet on the street (or Internet) is an idiot. We really need to start taking that into account.

Problem with "the Half of Humanity" conundrum: we humans alway imagine we are in the better half.
Of course that suggests that the actual ratio is probably 99:1.
And immediately wreaks hell with your reassuring use of "we…"
"WE" as in "hoi polloi" doesn't have quite that jaunty "me Bob,you Boob"" air about it.

NMB

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Sat Nov 21, 2015 5:34 pm

Sometimes one finds "we" more comforting than "one" or *I*. :-P
Hi, Io the lurker.

Major Malfunction
Has No Life

Postby Major Malfunction » Sat Nov 21, 2015 6:46 pm

nmblum wrote:NMB

Yeah, nah. I really mean the smarter people need to take back the reigns. I'm tired of having idiots dictate my life with their idiocy. Catering to the lowest denominator isn't helping.

And welcome back, Norma. I really thought you'd died this time. I really need some of your Norma Juice over on the Listening thread. I've been spending your time away sorting through the best YouTube renditions of my favourite classical music.

I need some revolutionary blues and/or jazz to soothe my ears.

nmblum88
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby nmblum88 » Sat Nov 21, 2015 7:31 pm

scrmbldggs wrote:Sometimes one finds "we" more comforting than "one" or *I*. :-P

No doubt.. it certainly sounds reasonable.
But it explains opium dependency as well…
And the KKK..
Find your comfort where you will…. but forgive me if I can't bring myself to so much as look for, much less find anything desirable or even mildly admirable in the notion.

NMB
Last edited by nmblum88 on Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

nmblum88
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby nmblum88 » Sat Nov 21, 2015 8:45 pm

Major Malfunction wrote:
nmblum wrote:NMB

Yeah, nah. I really mean the smarter people need to take back the reigns. I'm tired of having idiots dictate my life with their idiocy. Catering to the lowest denominator isn't helping.

And welcome back, Norma. I really thought you'd died this time. I really need some of your Norma Juice over on the Listening thread. I've been spending your time away sorting through the best YouTube renditions of my favourite classical music.

I need some revolutionary blues and/or jazz to soothe my ears.

LOL.. Major, you charming imp, you devil!! You have in the memorable past already set off lunatic emotional responses from the usual suspect, with a similar message. .
Let's just say that "music is the food of life" and let whomever wants to play, play.
And no, I'm not dead yet.. As Mark Twain memorably wrote upon reading his obituary in a US newspaper, "the news of my death has been seriously exaggerated…"

Anyway. I actually spent the much of the summer, pursuing music from Boston back to the Pacific short… pop, folk, jazz, American country, what's left of Rock, electric, opera,…. baroque, romantic, classical…
And not yet sated which says a lot about the power of music to keep the heart pumping and the brain responding..
I have meant to write about it all in the "listening" thread, and I will get to it.
Stayed tuned..
Thanks for the thoughts, morbid and otherwise, and stay well yourself.
Norma

P.S. And while you're waiting, here, for your enjoyment (but not dancing) is this bit of American musical history from an archive on the brothels that abounded in turn- of -the -century Chicago, where the children of the staff lived with their mothers, and and from which experience came this great piece:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsAt9hrrKh0
N.

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Sat Nov 21, 2015 10:20 pm

Major Malfunction wrote:I'm tired of having idiots dictate my life with their idiocy.

Hey!

You're welcome!
#ANDAMOVIE

Major Malfunction
Has No Life

Postby Major Malfunction » Sun Nov 22, 2015 4:40 am

I'm just glad we've totally derailed this crappy thread for a moment of sanity. Thank you for your patience while normal services are restored.

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Sun Nov 22, 2015 5:55 am

Hi, Io the lurker.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

The People Who Can't Wear Chairs

Postby Matthew Ellard » Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:07 pm

mgi1840

Postby mgi1840 » Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:39 am

I am 51, and have had 5 descent quality watches since grade school fail the same way. fail time was not consistent, and usually not repairable.
Macy's just flat stopped replacing them after the second, it drove my mother in law to be crazy because she gave it to me for Christmas.

If I forget a single battery, AAA, AA or 9V in my pocket it will leave a red mark by the time I feel it burning.

I have never did the water deveining thing, however my best friend of many does drill water wells. We were using some metal rods, (1 in each hand held loosely) above buried utility power. The reaction too the rods in my hands was a circular spin both the same direction that increased very quickly. Two others had little or no reaction.

Last, I have 25 years in CATV / Broadband Engineering. I did equipment installs at customer premises for 12, I also have had excessive quantities of Out of Box failures. Its staggering when compared to our group, fricking unbelievable.

I believe this all relates to transient voltage and or current/amps within my body, not sure how or why but it's there.

respond please

Major Malfunction
Has No Life

Postby Major Malfunction » Sat Apr 09, 2016 6:38 am

You don't sound like a very good engineer.

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Sat Apr 09, 2016 3:21 pm

I'm gonna watch that... :-P
Hi, Io the lurker.

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Sat Apr 09, 2016 5:48 pm

mgi1840 wrote:I believe this all relates to transient voltage and or current/amps within my body, not sure how or why but it's there.

respond please

How would one go about testing your belief?

As is often said, correlation does not imply causation. A mechanism needs to be proposed that links the two. Otherwise you get something like this:

Once you've proposed a mechanism, you can test it to see if your theory is valid.
#ANDAMOVIE

Deelgee

Postby Deelgee » Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:20 am

My brother couldnt wear watches, cause they wouldnt work on him...I dont know if this has any connection, but later we found out he had electrical problems with his heart...(He had to get jump started often), and i think its called cardio version..

Return to “UFOs, Cryptozoology, and The Paranormal”