Reprint of Allen's Asimov tribute.

Discussion of Skeptic magazine and Letters to the Editor
Frank Hoffman
Poster
Custom Title: Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Reprint of Allen's Asimov tribute.

Postby Frank Hoffman » Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:27 am

Some experiences stay with one for a lifetime. An experience such as this was when I first read Asimov's short story "Nightfall". I was very young, but I remember clearly upon finishing the story, leaning back in my chair and thinking "Wow!" Now, these many years later, upon the reprinting of Steve Allen's tribute in Skeptic, I would like to express my appreciation, and honor the memory of Mr. Asimov.

kennyc
Has No Life
Custom Title: The Dank Side of the Moon

Re: Reprint of Allen's Asimov tribute.

Postby kennyc » Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:03 pm

Frank Hoffman wrote:Some experiences stay with one for a lifetime. An experience such as this was when I first read Asimov's short story "Nightfall". I was very young, but I remember clearly upon finishing the story, leaning back in my chair and thinking "Wow!" Now, these many years later, upon the reprinting of Steve Allen's tribute in Skeptic, I would like to express my appreciation, and honor the memory of Mr. Asimov.

Here is a link to the eSkeptic article: http://www.skeptic.com/eskeptic/14-01-01/#feature

and today would have been his birthday:

"Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right."
— Isaac Asimov (Foundation (Foundation, #1))

the Foundation Trilogy remains one of my top SF Novels of all time
Kenny A. Chaffin
Art Gallery - Photo Gallery - Writing&Poetry - The Bleeding Edge
"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama

Rob Lister
Frequent Poster
Custom Title: Spline Reticulator

Postby Rob Lister » Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:10 pm

Asimov was good but his best work was Foundation 1.

Most of his stuff is well worth the read but little compares to his earliest work

It is hard too to think of Asimov without think of Arthur C Clarke. Clarke was a superior writer by far. Better ideas, better development, better writer in general.

But Asimov taught me algebra when none of my teachers could.

Poodle
Has More Than 8K Posts
Custom Title: Regular sleeper

Postby Poodle » Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:57 pm

Asimov agreed with you, Rob. If I remember rightly, he acknowledged Clarke as the Best Science Fiction Writer but reserved for himself the title of Best Science Writer.

I enjoyed them both.

toroid
Poster

Postby toroid » Fri Apr 08, 2016 12:37 am

"Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right."
— Isaac Asimov (Foundation, #1))

Evolution by natural selection is the architect of the need for humans to battle routinely over whatever issues are paramount at any given time. Battles which seek to define human morality are part of the rule, not an exception.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Fri Apr 08, 2016 12:41 am

What sparked using the go back machine to find this nugget? Not complaining, just noticing. Seems to me "morality" has nothing to do with evolution. Evolution: whether your parents reproduced or not and whether you will. could be the result of completely despised overpowering or desired corruption of morality.

Know what I mean?: morality has nothing to do with it.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

toroid
Poster

Postby toroid » Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:05 pm

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:What sparked using the go back machine to find this nugget? Not complaining, just noticing. Seems to me "morality" has nothing to do with evolution. Evolution: whether your parents reproduced or not and whether you will. could be the result of completely despised overpowering or desired corruption of morality.

Know what I mean?: morality has nothing to do with it.

We appear toi be in disagreement. (What is go back machine?)

Battles over anything and everything including human moral issues have everything to do with evolution. Evolution through natural selection takes place through conflict. Conflicts over human moral concepts are as basic as conflicts over territory and resources.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Thu Apr 14, 2016 2:24 am

What is the driving force of evolution? How do all the lower animals do it without morality?

Go back--thread was dead for 2 years until this spurt.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

toroid
Poster

Postby toroid » Fri Apr 15, 2016 1:36 pm

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:What is the driving force of evolution? How do all the lower animals do it without morality?

Go back--thread was dead for 2 years until this spurt.

Everything an animal can think about can be fought about. If animals don't have morality they can't fight about it. Human animals have more to fight about because they (in part) think abstractly.

Evolution through natural selection is designed to (in part) produce change through ongoing battles. Evolution isn't "nice", just like art and (the true understanding of) what god is isn't "nice".
---
So this thread is the go back machine. I got interested in the eSkeptic issue to which the earlier post provided a link. That issue contains a number of significant articles and/or links, including Shermer's article from Scientific American which essentially spoke of morality. That article would however be OT here. The Asimov quote may have been a stretch but ultimately is not OT, IMHO. Of course YMMV.

Return to “SKEPTIC Magazine: Letters & Discussions”