PDF format needed

Discussion of Skeptic magazine and Letters to the Editor
bhami

PDF format needed

Postby bhami » Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:10 am

With Scientific American (sciamdigital.com), I can download a PDF of each issue and copy it anywhere. However, with skeptic.com, this "pocketmags.com" uses some sort of proprietary reader and seems to require cloud connectivity. Apparently when pocketmags.com goes out of business, I'm hosed!

Please let subscribers download PDFs.

bhami

Re: PDF format needed

Postby bhami » Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:18 am

p.s. Skeptic might want to warn its digital subscribers that pocketmags.com shows up on your credit card as a UK purchase with "Merchant [name] not provided". Sounds like they need to get their billing act together.

Rob Lister
Frequent Poster
Custom Title: Spline Reticulator

Postby Rob Lister » Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:06 pm

Wow. I drew a very interesting Venn diagram of you. You appear to be at the intersection of someone that reads this rag and pays for this rag and still cares about losing this rag. It's like ... a pixel.

I kid. It's a fine rag well worth the read and the price.

I'm just a guy on the internet and don't have inside knowledge of the decision to publish via this method. So take this skeptically ...

The issue is the ever continuing battle to prevent pirating of content. If published via pdf, it must be flowable pdf to accommodate the varied platform sizes on which it is read. Flowable pdf is easily--trivially--converted to open formats.

By embedding the content in an app that does not [easily] accommodate conversion, they add a layer of friction to the would-be casual pirate. At best it makes pirating a non-trivial exercise, but that's really the best that any publisher or distributor can expect.

Adding the additional requirement of cloud connectivity means that as hacks spring up to get past the existing friction layers at the front user end, they can be patched and negated at the back distribution end.

Clever! Wouldn't you say?

I wouldn't worry to much about PocketMags going tits up. And even if they did, I can't believe Skeptic.com wouldn't accommodate subscribers through some other means; they'd make it right.

Can't speak to the billing issue.

Pyrrho
Administrator

Postby Pyrrho » Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:06 pm

My information is that no, The Skeptics Society does not currently plan to provide PDFs.
For any forum questions or concerns please e-mail skepticforum@gmail.com or send a PM.

The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:38 pm

Pyrrho wrote:My information is that no, The Skeptics Society does not currently plan to provide PDFs.

Therefore God.
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"

WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

Return to “SKEPTIC Magazine: Letters & Discussions”