WHAT IS LIFE?

Discussion of Skeptic magazine and Letters to the Editor
Nabarun Ghoshal
Regular Poster
Custom Title: In Search of Truth

WHAT IS LIFE?

Postby Nabarun Ghoshal » Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:51 pm

Life is a physico-chemical process by which a self-contained environment, built according to the code of a particular sequence of nucleic acid, maintains the potentiality of replication of that particular sequence of nucleic acid while remaining engaged in a continuous exchange with its external environment to support the process. That self-contained environment is called a living organism.

I suggest it as a fairly complete definition of life without involvement any kind of spiritualism.

rickoshay85
Veteran Poster

Re: WHAT IS LIFE?

Postby rickoshay85 » Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:29 pm

Life is a self-contained, independent, functional structure with stimuli reacting senses. Or you can just say...

Life is what it is until it is no more.
What we think, or what we know, or what we believe is, in the end, of little consequence. The only consequence is WHAT WE DO. John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Michaelyupeng

Postby Michaelyupeng » Sun Sep 18, 2011 12:40 am

Life is spring: We can the sunshine , everything is so nice
Life is summer:We can enjoy the cool breeze blowing ,everything is so fantastic
Life is autumn:We can watch the all over the sky falling leaves
Life is winter: We enjoy the white ,and we can become more pure

bigtim
Perpetual Poster
Custom Title: Skeptical Berserker

Postby bigtim » Sun Sep 18, 2011 5:07 am

Life is about eating, pooping, sleeping, and mating as many times as you possibly can before you die.... all else is extra BS
~
BigTim
"I'm not entirely convinced that ValHalla isn't real."

Major Malfunction
Has No Life
Custom Title: Dérailleur Énigmatique

Postby Major Malfunction » Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:55 am

Life is the process of living.
This being was produced using the same process as other beings, and therefore, may contain traces of nuts.

Gord
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Postby Gord » Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:52 am

"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

rickoshay85
Veteran Poster

Postby rickoshay85 » Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:22 pm

bigtim wrote:Life is about eating, pooping, sleeping, and mating as many times as you possibly can before you die.... all else is extra BS

True, but all you say isn't as easy as you make it out to be.
What we think, or what we know, or what we believe is, in the end, of little consequence. The only consequence is WHAT WE DO. John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

rickoshay85
Veteran Poster

Postby rickoshay85 » Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:28 pm

Michaelyupeng wrote:Life is spring: We can the sunshine , everything is so nice
Life is summer:We can enjoy the cool breeze blowing ,everything is so fantastic
Life is autumn:We can watch the all over the sky falling leaves
Life is winter: We enjoy the white ,and we can become more pure

"Youth is a blunder. Manhood a struggle. Old Age a regret." Ambrose Bierce

Nabarun Ghoshal
Regular Poster

Postby Nabarun Ghoshal » Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:31 pm

Can't anyone expect a serious discussion in this forum?
Would anyone please look at it from a materialistic point of view and say whether my statement is correct or not?

Monster
Has More Than 5K Posts

Postby Monster » Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:19 pm

Nabarun Ghoshal wrote:Can't anyone expect a serious discussion in this forum?
Would anyone please look at it from a materialistic point of view and say whether my statement is correct or not?

I thought your opening post was ok.
Listening twice as much as you speak is a sign of wisdom.

bigtim
Perpetual Poster

Postby bigtim » Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:07 pm

~

BigTim

rickoshay85
Veteran Poster

Postby rickoshay85 » Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:14 pm

One either believes scientific undemonstrated theories or doesn't.

OlegTheBatty
True Skeptic
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Postby OlegTheBatty » Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:19 am

I saw nothing to discuss. The OP pretty much sums it up.
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

rickoshay85
Veteran Poster

Postby rickoshay85 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:11 pm

bigtim wrote:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Life

Good point. Biology is definitely life

Chachacha
Has More Than 9K Posts
Custom Title: Irrational Skeptic

Postby Chachacha » Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:47 pm

You correctly defined a living organism.

There are multiple definitions for the word, "life":

1. the condition that distinguishes organisms from inorganic objects and dead organisms, being manifested by growth through metabolism, reproduction, and the power of adaptation to environment through changes originating internally.
2. the sum of the distinguishing phenomena of organisms, especially metabolism, growth, reproduction, and adaptation to environment.
3. the animate existence or period of animate existence of an individual: to risk one's life; a short life and a merry one.
4. a corresponding state, existence, or principle of existence conceived of as belonging to the soul: eternal life.
5. the general or universal condition of human existence: Too bad, but life is like that.

Nabarun Ghoshal
Regular Poster

Postby Nabarun Ghoshal » Sat Sep 24, 2011 1:19 pm

I think my definition envisages all points mentioned by you.

rickoshay85
Veteran Poster

Postby rickoshay85 » Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:54 pm

Nabarun Ghoshal wrote:I think my definition envisages all points mentioned by you.

I still think LIFE IS... tells it all.

Nabarun Ghoshal
Regular Poster

Postby Nabarun Ghoshal » Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:59 am

Post #13 by OlegTheBatty » Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:49 am

Nabarun Ghoshal wrote:

Post #12 by rickoshay85 » Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:44 am

Nabarun Ghoshal wrote:

That's the difference between an open mind and a closed mind. Only an open mind can be scientific. A closed mind can neither suggest new things, nor understand it. Without an open mind, science is a blind lane.

I don't find the thanks button to give my compliments to Oleg.

Gord
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Postby Gord » Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:26 am

Nabarun Ghoshal wrote:I don't find the thanks button to give my compliments to Oleg.

It's not available in this section of the forums. I don't know why exactly. My point is, it doesn't appear to be a fault on your end; I can't find it either. ;)
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

Nabarun Ghoshal
Regular Poster

Postby Nabarun Ghoshal » Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:25 am

I am sorry I missed the post by Monster. He also deserves thanks from my side, but as Gord has said, the button is not available in this part of the forum.

rickoshay85
Veteran Poster

Postby rickoshay85 » Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:21 pm

Nabarun Ghoshal wrote:Post #13 by OlegTheBatty » Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:49 am

Nabarun Ghoshal wrote:

Post #12 by rickoshay85 » Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:44 am

Nabarun Ghoshal wrote:

That's the difference between an open mind and a closed mind. Only an open mind can be scientific. A closed mind can neither suggest new things, nor understand it. Without an open mind, science is a blind lane.

I don't know about you, but my mind needs stimulation to react. Your post, for example, stimulated my response,

Nabarun Ghoshal
Regular Poster

Postby Nabarun Ghoshal » Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:15 am

However, overall my knowledgeable friends have supported my view. So, I think I can accept my definition as fairly complete.

rickoshay85
Veteran Poster

Postby rickoshay85 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:26 pm

Nabarum: However, overall my knowledgeable friends have supported my view. So, I think I can accept my definition as fairly complete. >>

It's good to have such loyal friends. Mine just want to play gotcha.

bigtim
Perpetual Poster

Postby bigtim » Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:40 pm

fe (cf. biota) is a characteristic that distinguishes objects that have signaling and self-sustaining processes (i. e., living organisms) from those that do not,[1][2] either because such functions have ceased (death), or else because they lack such functions and are classified as inanimate.[3][4] Biology is the science concerned with the study of life.

Living organisms undergo metabolism, maintain homeostasis, possess a capacity to grow, respond to stimuli, reproduce and, through natural selection, adapt to their environment in successive generations. More complex living organisms can communicate through various means.[1][5] A diverse array of living organisms (life forms) can be found in the biosphere on Earth, and the properties common to these organisms—plants, animals, fungi, protists, archaea, and bacteria—are a carbon- and water-based cellular form with complex organization and heritable genetic information.

since I doubt you actually followed my link.... you apparently ignored my inclusion in the discussion...
~

BigTim

Nabarun Ghoshal
Regular Poster

Postby Nabarun Ghoshal » Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:06 pm

bigtim wrote:
fe (cf. biota) is a characteristic that distinguishes objects that have signaling and self-sustaining processes (i. e., living organisms) from those that do not,[1][2] either because such functions have ceased (death), or else because they lack such functions and are classified as inanimate.[3][4] Biology is the science concerned with the study of life.

Living organisms undergo metabolism, maintain homeostasis, possess a capacity to grow, respond to stimuli, reproduce and, through natural selection, adapt to their environment in successive generations. More complex living organisms can communicate through various means.[1][5] A diverse array of living organisms (life forms) can be found in the biosphere on Earth, and the properties common to these organisms—plants, animals, fungi, protists, archaea, and bacteria—are a carbon- and water-based cellular form with complex organization and heritable genetic information.

since I doubt you actually followed my link.... you apparently ignored my inclusion in the discussion...

I didn't. Please adjudge whether all these criteria are included in my definition. That's the reason I posted it. If anything is lacking, feel free to point it out. An opinion from you will help me to make it more correct.

Nabarun Ghoshal
Regular Poster

Postby Nabarun Ghoshal » Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:37 pm

rickoshay85 wrote:Nabarum: However, overall my knowledgeable friends have supported my view. So, I think I can accept my definition as fairly complete. >>

It's good to have such loyal friends. Mine just want to play gotcha.

Please don't ridicule them. They are very intelligent and knowledgeable and have extremely critical points of view. That's why I depend on their opinion.

bigtim
Perpetual Poster

Postby bigtim » Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:36 pm

Nabarun Ghoshal wrote:
bigtim wrote:

I didn't. Please adjudge whether all these criteria are included in my definition. That's the reason I posted it. If anything is lacking, feel free to point it out. An opinion from you will help me to make it more correct.

I think my point is I don't understand why you're attempting to develop your own definitoin?
~

BigTim

rickoshay85
Veteran Poster

Postby rickoshay85 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:41 pm

bigtim wrote:
Nabarun Ghoshal wrote:
bigtim wrote:

I think my point is I don't understand why you're attempting to develop your own definitoin?

Yeah, sit back, relax, and have a cold beer.

bigtim
Perpetual Poster

Postby bigtim » Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:00 am

rickoshay85 wrote:
bigtim wrote:
Nabarun Ghoshal wrote:
bigtim wrote:

Yeah, sit back, relax, and have a cold beer.

right now, 9pm at night, doing work email, checking forum, drinking bourbon and ice whiole watching the latest the Great Food Truck Race with my teenager....

mmmm..... bourbon....
~

BigTim

Nabarun Ghoshal
Regular Poster

Postby Nabarun Ghoshal » Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:11 pm

bigtim wrote:
Nabarun Ghoshal wrote:
bigtim wrote:

Is it wrong to go for a more compact definition if I can?

bigtim
Perpetual Poster

Postby bigtim » Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:21 pm

Nabarun Ghoshal wrote:
bigtim wrote:I think my point is I don't understand why you're attempting to develop your own definitoin?

There is no right or wrong to it... just curious... So this is a mental excercise on your point for the fun of it?
~

BigTim

rickoshay85
Veteran Poster

Postby rickoshay85 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:37 pm

bigtim wrote:
Nabarun Ghoshal wrote:
bigtim wrote:I think my point is I don't understand why you're attempting to develop your own definitoin?

There is no right or wrong to it... just curious... So this is a mental excercise on your point for the fun of it?

There has to be fun, entertainment of some kind, if not, what's the point of being?

Nabarun Ghoshal
Regular Poster

Postby Nabarun Ghoshal » Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:17 pm

rickoshay85 wrote:
bigtim wrote:
Nabarun Ghoshal wrote:

There has to be fun, entertainment of some kind, if not, what's the point of being?

It's all fun. There has to be fun. If Edison did not have fun in inventions, we wouldn't have writing these posts these days. If Maxwell didn't have fun in mathematics, there wouldn't be radios or televisions and so on.

rickoshay85
Veteran Poster

Postby rickoshay85 » Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:55 pm

Nabarun Ghoshal wrote:
rickoshay85 wrote:
bigtim wrote:
Nabarun Ghoshal wrote:

It's all fun. There has to be fun. If Edison did not have fun in inventions, we wouldn't have writing these posts these days. If Maxwell didn't have fun in mathematics, there wouldn't be radios or televisions and so on.

The sad part is that it's all about more and more money, the so-called American dream, rarely having fun doing it

Nabarun Ghoshal
Regular Poster

Postby Nabarun Ghoshal » Sat Oct 01, 2011 1:39 pm

rickoshay85 wrote:There has to be fun, entertainment of some kind, if not, what's the point of being?

Nabarun Ghoshal wrote:It's all fun. There has to be fun. If Edison did not have fun in inventions, we wouldn't have writing these posts these days. If Maxwell didn't have fun in mathematics, there wouldn't be radios or televisions and so on.

rickoshay85 wrote:The sad part is that it's all about more and more money, the so-called American dream, rarely having fun doing it

I don't know how much money Maxwell could earn from mathematics. Some find fun in money, some in beer and some in sheer knowledge.

rickoshay85
Veteran Poster

Postby rickoshay85 » Sat Oct 01, 2011 5:44 pm

Nabarun Ghoshal wrote:
rickoshay85 wrote:There has to be fun, entertainment of some kind, if not, what's the point of being?

Nabarun Ghoshal wrote:It's all fun. There has to be fun. If Edison did not have fun in inventions, we wouldn't have writing these posts these days. If Maxwell didn't have fun in mathematics, there wouldn't be radios or televisions and so on.

rickoshay85 wrote:The sad part is that it's all about more and more money, the so-called American dream, rarely having fun doing it

I don't know how much money Maxwell could earn from mathematics. Some find fun in money, some in beer and some in sheer knowledge.

Ambition isn't necessarily just in one's profession. If you have a few thousand salted away and want more, there are always people around you with get rich schemes. I fell for a few myself over the years... Gold mines, oil, inventions, commodities, small business, etc

Nabarun Ghoshal
Regular Poster

Postby Nabarun Ghoshal » Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:22 pm

You mean this definition may fetch me some quick buck? mmm... that's not bad.

Now don't take that seriously. I couldn't resist making some fun out of it. Actually, someone had fun in launching this site with a view to "Promoting SCIENCE and CRITICAL THINKING". I am just participating in that work.

rickoshay85
Veteran Poster

Postby rickoshay85 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:38 pm

Nabarun Ghoshal wrote:You mean this definition may fetch me some quick buck? mmm... that's not bad.

Now don't take that seriously. I couldn't resist making some fun out of it. Actually, someone had fun in launching this site with a view to "Promoting SCIENCE and CRITICAL THINKING". I am just participating in that work.

The thread of an open debate rarely ends up the way it starts. Sometimes it's disturbing, sometimes it's fun.

Nabarun Ghoshal
Regular Poster

Postby Nabarun Ghoshal » Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:26 am

rickoshay85 wrote:The thread of an open debate rarely ends up the way it starts. Sometimes it's disturbing, sometimes it's fun.

In contrast to other sites, the debates in this site usually do not deviate from the point thanks to the wisdom of the users of the site.

rickoshay85
Veteran Poster

Postby rickoshay85 » Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:56 pm

Nabarun Ghoshal wrote:
rickoshay85 wrote:The thread of an open debate rarely ends up the way it starts. Sometimes it's disturbing, sometimes it's fun.

In contrast to other sites, the debates in this site usually do not deviate from the point thanks to the wisdom of the users of the site.

Yeah, I noticed that too. Good indicator that people are beginning to take some things seriously, not all, just the subjects that need more scrutiny.

Return to “SKEPTIC Magazine: Letters & Discussions”