Any chance of getting Skeptic Mag as an electronic

Discussion of Skeptic magazine and Letters to the Editor
kennyc
Has No Life
Custom Title: The Dank Side of the Moon

Any chance of getting Skeptic Mag as an electronic

Postby kennyc » Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:19 am

Any chance of an electronic e-magazine version being offered in the future?

for the xoom tablet (or pdf version) ?
Kenny A. Chaffin
Art Gallery - Photo Gallery - Writing&Poetry - The Bleeding Edge
"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama

velveteenfrog

Re: Any chance of getting Skeptic Mag as an electronic

Postby velveteenfrog » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:21 pm

I'd like this too.

phelix

Postby phelix » Mon May 09, 2011 8:15 am

I'm also interested in this :D .pdf I think would be best, to work on all ebooks. It would also mean back-issues could be rereleased indefinitely as ebooks, as I posted on the thread below.

Björn Jönsson

Postby Björn Jönsson » Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:03 pm

+1

Not to criticize what The Skeptic Society are doing in general, but they really need a technological makeover. This is obviously not because of laziness on their part, but because of the cost of such a makeover. I understand the Society isn't really thriving financially (they should've gone into the self-help or new age biz instead!) so I hope they focus on quality material and don't sacrifice that for flashy graphics and such.

But yes, a digital version shouldn't be that hard to fix. I'd especially want that feature for back-issues that are no longer in print.

Jefuri

Postby Jefuri » Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:59 am

+1

My mail man is an idiot. I subscribed for a year, but only 2/3rds of them actually arrived in my mailbox, and when the did they were fairly mauled.

Any format I can read on my Kindle or Nook would be excellent.

kennyc
Has No Life
Custom Title: The Dank Side of the Moon

Postby kennyc » Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:18 pm

Jefuri wrote:+1

My mail man is an idiot. I subscribed for a year, but only 2/3rds of them actually arrived in my mailbox, and when the did they were fairly mauled.

Any format I can read on my Kindle or Nook would be excellent.

I don't know...if your mailman is reading the magazine first (and keeping the good ones) maybe he's not _such_ an idiot. :lol: :lol:

Just kidding, I sympathise.
Kenny A. Chaffin
Art Gallery - Photo Gallery - Writing&Poetry - The Bleeding Edge
"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama

Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:47 am

I bought five years of Skeptical Inquirer on CD, and some of Skeptic, IIRC. It would be nice to have more back issues on disk.
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"

WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

arthurkoch
Poster

Postby arthurkoch » Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:18 am

Please, please, put the mag online! Here in darkest Italy, with 3 or deliveries a week, my subscription system did not work. The mags came (when they did) too late for me to comment on the articles. Do it! Sci am does!

Michaelyupeng

Postby Michaelyupeng » Sun Sep 18, 2011 12:46 am

I would like an electronic Skeptic Mag too, it takes me a lot of time to do my job on computer , do not have time to read a real magzine , I mean a printed magzine~~

Donnageddon
Frequent Poster

Postby Donnageddon » Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:58 pm

I would also like to support Kenny's request. I really would love a digital version of Skeptic magazine.

Actually been on my wish list for awhile.
My name is not Donna.

Austin Harper
Perpetual Poster
Custom Title: Rock Chalk Astrohawk

Postby Austin Harper » Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:20 pm

On September 22, 2009, I sent an email to editorial@skeptic.com (now replaced by skepticssociety@skeptic.com, ref http://www.skeptic.com/about_us/contact_us.html) asking about this. Here was there response at the time.

Austin Harper wrote:Do you ever re-print issues that are currently sold out? If so, how often do you re-print them?
Also, is it possible to get electronic copies of any past issues?

Thank you.
Skeptic Magazine wrote:We have done it long ago, but right now we haven't any immediate plans to do so because of the recession.

We are putting articles on our website for free. What articles were you interested in?
Austin Harper wrote:Thanks for the quick response! I didn't have anything in particular in mind, I was just curious.

I used to read Skeptic in high school but didn't have a subscription and when I moved for college I couldn't find it for sale anywhere and forgot about it for 4 years. I recently saw Ben Stein's film Exposed and when I saw Michael Shermer's interview I remembered Skeptic. Unfortuantely for Mr. Stein, his movie just re-kindled my interest in Skeptic and Dr. Shermer's other work (as well as that of Richard Dawkins). Anyway, the point of the story was that I missed 4 years (vol. 11-14) of Skeptic and two of those issues are out of print. Also thanks to Mr. Stein I've become quite interested in the scientific views on religion (sorry again, Mr. Stein), which happens to be topic of one of the out-of print issues from vol. 12 along with the issue about Mythbusters, of which I am also a fan (although sometimes their methods seem a bit off).

While I'd love to be able to have real copies of either of those two issues, I am especially interested in the articles "God the Father" from vol. 12 no. 1 and "Misquoting Einstein" and "Religion & Behavior" from vol. 12 no. 3.

By the way, I just subscribed to Skeptic to make sure I won't miss any other articles!
Skeptic Magazine wrote:We are putting back issue articles on our webpage, slowly but surely--so maybe someday we'll have those up.

I don't know if anyone from publishing reads the messages on this boards; I would suggest contacting them at skepticssociety@skeptic.com with any questions.
Dum ratio nos ducet, valebimus et multa bene geremus.

Feliks
Custom Title: Pardon my English

Postby Feliks » Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:45 am

This would be gold for us outside of the US, to be able to subscribe to maybe an iPad version of the magazine.

I for one subscribe to several magazines on science and technology on my iPad and would very much enjoy Skeptic Magazine on it. Skeptic Magazine is not that well known outside of the US either, so by making it iPad available they would reach a much broader audience, and through that, financial support.
At first, God said :

Rot E = -dB/dt
Div D = rho
Div B = 0
Rot H = j + dD/dt

and then, there was the light. (J.C. Maxwell)

Jen M

Postby Jen M » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:23 pm

I would love love LOVE to have the magazine as a digital version. I just recently subscribed, and I am very looking forward to receiving my first issue. However I do most all of my reading on my kindle, and would love to have a collection of the back issues as well.

Return to “SKEPTIC Magazine: Letters & Discussions”