Skeptical Inquirer vs. Skeptic Mag

Discussion of Skeptic magazine and Letters to the Editor
banquo

Skeptical Inquirer vs. Skeptic Mag

Postby banquo » Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:46 am

I’m curious what differences people perceive between Skeptical Inquirer and Skeptic Magazine, if any, in content, tone, editorial direction, or anything else. They seem interchangeable to me (other than the topics covered in a given issue), but I have only a cursory familiarity with each.

KevinLevites
Poster

Re: Skeptical Inquirer vs. Skeptic Mag

Postby KevinLevites » Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:19 am

I like and read both, and have had letters published in both.

My subjective opinion (and I don't have numbers to back me up, so take my opinion with a small degree of--ahem--skepticism) is that Skeptical Inquirer is more like a professional journal for people with higher education, while Skeptic is more for the layperson...with plenty of crossover and exceptions.

I have found Skeptical Inquirer to be a little bit more geared toward exposing scams and con artists, while Skeptic seems better at dispelling fallacies held by the masses...again, with plenty of exceptions to these generalities.

It's worth having a subscription to both. I don't find them to be largely redundant with regards to each other.

I hope this helps.

OlegTheBatty
True Skeptic
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Re: Skeptical Inquirer vs. Skeptic Mag

Postby OlegTheBatty » Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:54 pm

Skeptic ventures into philosophy and politics more than SI does. SI tends to stay on the verifiable facts side of the ledger, and devotes more time to debunking ghost stories and such than Skeptic.

I also read both.
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

Return to “SKEPTIC Magazine: Letters & Discussions”