The Skeptic Magazine article on "Einstein praise the Church"

Discussion of Skeptic magazine and Letters to the Editor

The Skeptic Magazine article on "Einstein praise the Church"

Post #1  Postby YoSoY » Wed Oct 08, 2008 3:19 am

O.K. this is the story:

In a spanish speaking (thats why you will find some english deficency in my redaction) forum I was arguing with a anticatholic atheist about a quote atributed to Albert Einstein  regarding the Church that apeared in Time Magazine that read as follows:

"............ the world's most famous scientist, Albert Einstein. Says
he:
"Being a lover of freedom, when the revolution came in Germany, I looked to the universities to defend it, knowing that they had always boasted of their devotion to the cause of truth; but, no, the
universities immediately were silenced. Then I looked to the great
editors of the newspapers whose flaming editorials in days gone by had proclaimed their love of freedom; but they, like the universities, were silenced in a few short weeks. . . .

"Only the Church stood squarely across the path of Hitler's campaign for suppressing truth. I never had any special interest in the Church before, but now I feel a great affection and admiration because the Church alone has had the courage and persistence to stand for intellectual truth and moral freedom. I am forced thus to confess that what I once despised I now praise unreservedly."

That I posted as a proof of some jewish´s testimonies of the church role during WWII.

Inmediatly my opponent reply my post by claiming that the quote was well known as apocriph at first by posting this link:

http://goliath.ecnext.com/coms2/summary ... 666304_ITM

at which I reply with de Time Magazine edition itself:

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/artic ... 03,00.html
After this  , he claim that the quote itself doesnt proof that Einstein said those words indeed. And he appeal to his bible and some kind of magistery:
Did Einstein Praise the Church?
A statement attributed to Einstein
isn’t what it claims to be.
by William C. Waterhouse
http://www.skeptic.com/eskeptic/06-01-05.html#note09

Where you can find a whole article explaining the "truth" about the
"invention" of TIME MAGAZINE..

Well, after all we do have to believe what such an Authority say
because:

In this week’s eSkeptic, William C. Waterhouse investigates a statement, attributed to Albert Einstein, ostensibly praising the
Church.

William C. Waterhouse received a Ph.D. in mathematics at Harvard University. He has written more than 150 professional publications and has been a professor of mathematics at Penn State for 30 years. For a decade he has been an active participant in the alt.quotations Internet newsgroup.

Hmmm.... So this is why I´m here today.
Are you guys really skpeticals?

Where will rest all this paper of this authorithy after I tell you
that Einstein himself confirm authenticity of his words! ?
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/roadshow/archiv ... A19_00.jpg

GUEST: I have a letter that Albert Einstein wrote to my father in 1943. In 1940, my father read a "Time Magazine" article that stated that Einstein was quoted as saying that the only social institution that stood up to Nazism was the Christian Church. My father is a Presbyterian minister in a little northern Michigan town called Harbor Springs.

APPRAISER: Uh-huh.

GUEST: And he quoted Einstein in a sermon, and a member of the congregation wrote my father a letter saying, "Where did you get your information?" So my father wrote "Time Magazine" and "Time Magazine" wrote him back, and I have that letter, too, but they didn't give the source, so my father wrote Einstein and he wrote back, saying, yes, he did say that the Christian Church was standing up to Hitler and Nazism.

APPRAISER: I love this story for a lot of reasons. One, it's about your dad checking his references,

GUEST: Mm-hmm.

APPRAISER: checking his facts, and how important it is to get your references right. He goes to the first reference—"Time Magazine."

GUEST: Mm-hmm, mm-hmm.

APPRAISER: He doesn't get a good answer and he goes beyond that.

GUEST: Mm-hmm... exactly.

APPRAISER: The second reason I really like this story is that your dad kept all the supporting material...

APPRAISER: ...behind the letter that he eventually got from Einstein confirming, "Yes, I did say this about the Christian Church. It is the only social institution that could stand up to the Nazi regime." So the first letter I have in this stack is the letter from the parishioner, who says, "Where'd that quote come from?"

APPRAISER: And then the second letter is the letter from "Time Magazine." They're kind of hedging their bets.

APPRAISER: I love that they can't really confirm it...

GUEST: Right.

APPRAISER: ...but they won't deny it. "Yeah, yeah, yeah, he said it, he said it." And then the third thing. Even though he kept all of this original primary support material, your dad took the time to write a three- or four-paragraph essay in which he explains the story behind the Albert Einstein letter.

GUEST: Right, mm-hmm.

APPRAISER: This is terrific; I mean, if I could get one message across to people who own historical manuscripts, who own letters from famous people, who own archives, and the people who know the story behind them, it would be: please just take five minutes and write it down for the next generation. Because even though everybody knows it today...

APPRAISER: ...there is a really good chance that the oral tradition will not survive with the paper.

GUEST: Exactly.

APPRAISER: If you had brought this letter in without the supporting documents, I would have looked at it, and it says, "It's true that I made a statement which corresponds approximately with the text you quoted. I made this statement during the first years of the Nazi regime-- much earlier than 1940-- and my expressions were a little more moderate." And I would say, "Well, that's a nice typed letter from Einstein, says something about Nazis," but I wouldn't really know what he was talking about...

GUEST: Right.

APPRAISER: ...if your father had not saved all the material that is appropriate to it. Have you ever had this Einstein letter appraised?

GUEST: Never.

APPRAISER: Well, it's on just typing paper. He used to blind stamp his return address, and it's typed and then signed here. Normally, a run-of-the-mill typed Einstein letter from this period is about $1,500 at auction.

GUEST: Mm-hmm, mm-hmm.

APPRAISER: But with this fantastic story behind it, a $1,500 letter becomes... a $5,000 letter.

GUEST: Wow.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/roadshow/archive/200706A19.html

Well, there you have it.
Signed, sealed and delivered by A. Einstein himself!

What it is really fun , is that some call themselves skeptical but do
accept almost as dogma whatever a scholar with some fancy curriculum says.

This crazynest about revisinism is taking things out of control and
this sort of foolishnes just help to raise hate, because of religous
thinking

Hope to hear your coments

YoSoY
YoSoY

Re: The Skeptic Magazine article on "Einstein praise the Church"

Post #2  Postby DrQ » Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:19 am

If a normal person praises the church, it does not make news. You take Einstein for example, and such an important person in science quotes something about praising the church and it will get to the headlines, and make front page.
I have heard those concidered true Christians state, that no church should be praised as such. The explanation went as something like .... at the end, all buildings will not stand. No church will stand either, just the ones who chooce salvation.
If Einstein quoted something to the like about a praise, no matter how brilliant, it will still be his thinking.
Most people in all nations, are mostly daily life workers, soldiers, sailors and survivors of life. There is the other kind of men. The wealthy and the planners who run certain sectors. Another kind is doing their deeds also. The ones who go to extreme beliefs and act according to them. This world is full of problems to attend and at the end everyone makes their choice in behalf to what they understand is the path they should follow in their  lifes.
DrQ

Return to SKEPTIC Magazine: Letters & Discussions