Separate Junior Skeptic?

Discussion of Junior Skeptic, part of SKEPTIC Magazine.
tgbarton

Separate Junior Skeptic?

Postby tgbarton » Wed Aug 08, 2007 1:03 pm

I love the Junior Skeptics, especially the two recent ones on evolution, and would like to get separate copies to distribute and to save for my younger kids until they're old enough to grasp them (without having to keep the whole Skeptic magazine or deal with ripped out copies).

Is there a possibility that you could offer past issues bound separately for sale?

Also, could you offer them as truly magazines-within-a-magazine where they can be taken out easily? I'd be happy to pay more for that...

Daniel Loxton

Postby Daniel Loxton » Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:59 pm

In fact we are producing standalone book versions of our Junior Skeptic material!

The two-part evolution story is being shopped around at this moment as its own book project. (Interested publishers may contact us through skeptic.com)

Most other Junior Skeptic material is slated to appear—in enhanced, expanded, full-color format—in the Baloney Detection Series, an ambitious multi-volume kids' science book series we've been actively hard at work on for several years. Still in production, we're also looking for just the right publisher to be the home for that series.

There's always been a high demand to reprint the Junior Skeptic material in some standalone format. The question was, how to do it? We knew we wanted a wider audience for this content, so we soon realized that we would probably wish to publish through a national-level publishing house with the resources to bring a series like this to its full distribution potential.

The presentation bar is set tremendously high in kids' science publishing. We committed to producing a Junior Skeptic-based series with the production values to really stand out, even in that crowd—and thus to really compete in the marketplace of ideas.

We're very excited about it, and we've made tremendous progress! (The content for some volumes is nearly complete.) But it's an enormous ongoing project, involving hundreds of full-color graphics, hundreds of pages of comprehensive, thoroughly researched educational content, hundreds of pages of complex, intricate layout—and all, so far, done exclusively with in-house resources. (If you wish to support the Baloney Detection Series, donations may be made at skeptic.com—or just drop us a line to let us know you're as excited as we are!)

In the meantime, we have plans to make some other classic or exclusive Junior Skeptic content available for free at skeptic.com. Watch for that in the months ahead!
Last edited by Daniel Loxton on Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Electric Monk
Regular Poster

Postby Electric Monk » Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:12 pm

Thanks Daniel, and welcome to the forum! It was great to meet you at TAM 5. :)

For those who don't check the mastheads, Daniel is the editor of Junior Skeptic and produces all (or nearly all) of its content.

--James

izittrue
Frequent Poster
Custom Title: former poster

Postby izittrue » Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:38 pm

Indeed thanks Daniel...jr skeptic is awesome...like fellow Skeptic Ronald Reagan I read the comics first when I get Skeptic mag...
I am going to live forever because I believe in Santa Claus and God-
My sons 6 year old friend.

Daniel Loxton

Postby Daniel Loxton » Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:57 pm

Ha ha—yes, me too! Junior Skeptic was my favorite part of the magazine long before it became my own baby. As a regular reader, I was so thrilled when Junior Skeptic was created. "Now," I thought, "we're really getting somewhere!"

Return to “Junior Skeptic”