Junior Skeptic

Discussion of Junior Skeptic, part of SKEPTIC Magazine.
Pyrrho
Administrator

Junior Skeptic

Postby Pyrrho » Tue Aug 07, 2007 11:08 pm

This section of the forum is devoted to discussion of Junior Skeptic. Those of you who subscribe to SKEPTIC Magazine are no doubt familiar with this outstanding "magazine within a magazine". Please feel free to post your comments and feedback.

For those not familiar with Junior Skeptic, subject matter has included Evolution (SKEPTIC Vol. 13, No.1), Alien Abduction (SKEPTIC Vol. 12, No. 3), and Pyramid Power (SKEPTIC Vol 12, No.2).

From The Skeptics Society website:

http://www.skeptic.com/the_magazine/junior_skeptic.html

Junior Skeptic

Bound into every issue of Skeptic, Junior Skeptic magazine is an engagingly illustrated science and critical thinking publication for younger readers.

Junior Skeptic is the Skeptics Society's flagship educational periodical, written for both the young and the young at heart. In each issue, readers are invited to consider the background, concepts, and arguments surrounding a major paranormal claim (such as the Bermuda Triangle, or Bigfoot). Junior Skeptic explores the best evidence in support of these claims, but also exposes where thinking went wrong — and how.

Accessible but not simplistic, Junior Skeptic is also popular among adults seeking answers — simple, bottom-line, and jargon-free.
For any forum questions or concerns please e-mail skepticforum@gmail.com or send a PM.

The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

snooziums
Frequent Poster

Postby snooziums » Tue Aug 07, 2007 11:19 pm

By the way, the idea behind "Junior Skeptic" is from the Simpsons, where Lisa is reading a made-up (then) magazine by that name.

Lisa Simpson does seem to be quite a skeptic herself, although she does believe in souls and is a Buddhist follower.
Reviewing the massive amount of unsubstantiated or anecdotal claims, testimony, non-validated observational data, and philosophical studies, they actually suggest the existence of such an entity as the "soul." Although it cannot be determined what it is or if it is factual or not, it is my personal belief that there may very well be something there, and that it is worth looking into.

Daniel Loxton

Postby Daniel Loxton » Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:09 pm

Yes, the always insightful and progressive Lisa Simpson was a Junior Skeptic subscriber even before the real Junior Skeptic was created. I notice that a famous clip of her reading Junior Skeptic is available to view at YouTube (part of the wonderful X-Files episode):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IIHbJJC1Cg

St. Jimmy
Frequent Poster
Custom Title: ghostbuster

Re: Junior Skeptic

Postby St. Jimmy » Mon Sep 03, 2007 9:15 am

She's also a vegetarian based on how cute lambs at the petting zoo are.
I'd rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy.

bigtim
Perpetual Poster
Custom Title: Skeptical Berserker

Re: Junior Skeptic

Postby bigtim » Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:57 pm

I would love to have a Jr. Skeptic magazine for my youngest. My two olders ones are too old now, but my wife and I have tried to instill them with critical reasoning skills.
~
BigTim
"I'm not entirely convinced that ValHalla isn't real."

Return to “Junior Skeptic”