Referrals Needed: Primary Care Doctor & Psychiatrist in Central Indiana

A skeptical look at medical practices
RandyB201

Referrals Needed: Primary Care Doctor & Psychiatrist in Central Indiana

Postby RandyB201 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:34 am

I have returned to Pendletton, IN to take care of aging parents. Locations that would work:
Indianapolis anywhere in the suburban sprawl to the north and/or east.

I am looking for a primary care doctor and a psychiatrist who reads medical journals instead of religious mumbo jumbo.

With reggard to the psychiatrist, I am NOT looking for a Psychoanalyst. IMHO, they aare the chiroquactors of mental health treatment.

Thank you for any help you might provide!

Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Re: Referrals Needed: Primary Care Doctor & Psychiatrist in Central Indiana

Postby Gord » Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:15 pm

I think you may have the wrong forum. We're just a bunch of shlubs who like to be skeptical of stuff.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Custom Title: bobbo da existential pragmatist

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:31 pm

RandyB201 wrote: With reggard to the psychiatrist, I am NOT looking for a Psychoanalyst. IMHO, they aare the chiroquactors of mental health treatment.

the background of most docs can be found via google. Why the psychiatrist? for your or your parents? When having to take care of aging parents, seems like one of the best times to visit with a psychoanalyst if there are any issues there.

I moved back in with Mom for her last 5 years of life, rather than go be a ski bum, and except for the lack of exercise, it was a very satisfying experience I'm glad I had. I got to know her as an adult, something a child does not experience.

I hope you enjoy, find something of worth, in the experience as well................and nothing wrong with a few visits with any doc and if you don't enjoy that....ask for a referral....... or find a book to read on the subject. Ha, ha. They hate that.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

OlegTheBatty
Has No Life
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Postby OlegTheBatty » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:48 pm

I don't know any medics in Indiana, so I will refer you to me mom.

She makes a terrific chicken soup, and can talk yer ear off. She's also a great listener in between times, so she's got all the bases covered. Even better, she's dead, so you can access her from anywhere. All you need is a medium.
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

Nikki Nyx
Persistent Poster
Custom Title: cognitively consonant

Postby Nikki Nyx » Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:53 am

I live in Massachusetts, so I can't help you. Sorry!
"An extraordinary claim requires extraordinary proof."—Marcello Truzzi

"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence."—Christopher Hitchens

RandyB201

Postby RandyB201 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:33 am

"...Why the psychiatrist? for your or your parents? "

I take Prozac, and my dosage is high enough that most GP's are not comfortable monitoring / maintaining it. esp so with new, unfamiliar patients.

"When having to take care of aging parents, seems like one of the best times to visit with a psychoanalyst if there are any issues there."

I worked in the mental health field for many years. There are several schools of thought / modes of treatment. Like chiropractic, psychoanalysis does not stand up to double blind, randomized research. Also weak in this regard is what is called eclectic practice, when a therapist uses a little of this or that approach, using their clinical judgement to guess which might wwork bbest for you.

"I moved back in with Mom for her last 5 years of life, rather than go be a ski bum, and except for the lack of exercise, it was a very satisfying experience I'm glad I had. I got to know her as an adult, something a child does not experience."

Clinicians who consistently provide Brief Therapy are time and time again shown to be the most cost effective. Had I known you then, this is what I would have recommended for you. Cognitive Behavioral Therapy also has a good track record, but it takes longer.

"I hope you enjoy, find something of worth, in the experience as well..."

She is one of my best friends, and I appreciate how fortunate I am to be able to say that. :D

"...google...and nothing wrong with a few visits with any doc and if you don't enjoy that....ask for a referral...""

Indiana is swimming in religiosity and fanaticism. It is one of the reasons I left. If you picked up on my trepidation, it stems from this, not any conflict with Mom.

I trully believe finding a primary care doctor who is a scientist first -- here -- is like looking for a needle in a haystack.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Custom Title: bobbo da existential pragmatist

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:59 am

Randy, I too have some (very very minimal) clinical practice/exposure......but mostly reading. If you mean Grief Counseling...no need. I fully accept life is a journey carrying two buckets of wet sand, and then we die. I am in fact quite "happy" Mom had the end times she did have. Relatively quick...3 weeks when she moved in with my sister to better care for her failing bladder control and such and she had her memory and wit until the final month. surrounded by those she loved and who loved her back. We all should go that way................

Psychiatry and Religion. It is amusing. I quite firmly alienated our staff Psychiatrist who was also a very religious Catholic, as proven by his 10 kiddies. I asked him how he could treat the mentally ill when he was religious himself. Ha, ha.......he had fielded that question many times, but was still irked by the challenge. I said the same thing about our Indian and Pakistani Psychiatrists: how could they provide the most effective counseling when they were not imbued in the culture of their patients? He mumbled something unconvincing..........

as to the effectiveness of psychoanalysis.........aspirin doesn't cure a broken leg. Every ailment has its most effective remedy and the hardest part in patient care is to match the disease to the cure. After that, a few goes on the couch should be viewed as nothing but fun. Just another tool to get past the lazy acceptance of the status quo/// a different view of things, interesting, whether right or wrong.

Long term use of Prozac can be a tough go. so happy that beer works for me.....and a bad memory for bad things. I don't know why, but recognizing that "things could always be worse" takes the edge off for me.

.............its, whatever works.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

Austin Harper
Has More Than 5K Posts
Custom Title: Rock Chalk Astrohawk

Postby Austin Harper » Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:04 am

I would suggest you check The Secular Therapy Project for listings in your area.
Dum ratio nos ducet, valebimus et multa bene geremus.

Return to “Healthcare”