Too much vitamin.

A skeptical look at medical practices
Lance Kennedy
True Skeptic
Custom Title: Super Skeptic

Too much vitamin.

Postby Lance Kennedy » Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:10 pm

http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifes ... q-20058108

One of the lesser known aspects of good diet is that too much of any nutrient can be become toxic. This becomes important in a world where idiots recommend mega doses of various supplements. Vitamin D is mentioned above. The toxicity was discovered before vitamin pills were invented when people got sick, and even died, after eating polar bear liver, which is enormously rich in vitamin D. Don't ask me why. It probably tastes dreadful., but I guess if you are very, very hungry .......

Even vitamin C becomes toxic. The recommended dose is 50 milligrams per day, but some people take massive doses in the weird belief that peeing out all that excess is somehow healthy. Anything over 20 grams a day becomes toxic.

Another lesser known fact is that taking a nutrient at levels well BELOW that which is recommended may still be valuable. The lack of vitamin A in peoples who eat lots of white rice (common in Asia) causes widespread blindness in children, and contributes to several million deaths each year from general weakness and inability to fight other ills. The World Health recommendation is 700 micrograms per day, but a supplement of 200 micrograms is enough to prevent blindness and death. Yet a lot of people oppose measures that are "inadequate ".

The habit of the British navy in sailing ship days of doling out lime juice to prevent scurvey is worth noting. The recommended vitamin C dose is 50 milligrams per day, but those sailors received less than 20 milligrams. It was still sufficient to prevent scurvey. We may need 50 mgs for perfect health, but a lesser amount may still be good.

scrmbldggs
Has No Life
Custom Title: something

Re: Too much vitamin.

Postby scrmbldggs » Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:09 am

And don't get me started on the trace mineral "You're probably low in magnesium!" crowd.

Maybe one should tell them that Pauli was wrong and they should keep a Pauline moderation in mind. :-P

Lard, save me from your followers.

salomed
Frequent Poster
Custom Title: Cartesian Skeptic

Postby salomed » Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:01 am

Lance Kennedy wrote:http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/expert-answers/vitamin-d-toxicity/faq-20058108

One of the lesser known aspects of good diet is that too much of any nutrient can be become toxic. This becomes important in a world where idiots recommend mega doses of various supplements. Vitamin D is mentioned above. The toxicity was discovered before vitamin pills were invented when people got sick, and even died, after eating polar bear liver, which is enormously rich in vitamin D. Don't ask me why. It probably tastes dreadful., but I guess if you are very, very hungry .......

You mean vitamin A, which is lethal in not that high doses. Vitamin D is very hard to overdose on, and even harder, to get lethal.

Even vitamin C becomes toxic. The recommended dose is 50 milligrams per day, but some people take massive doses in the weird belief that peeing out all that excess is somehow healthy. Anything over 20 grams a day becomes toxic.

20,000 milligram is a huge amount, but even that wouldn't kill you.

I take pretty regular megadoses of some vitamins, happy that it might only be making my pee expensive. I am a bit miffed that recently it looks like high doses of B12 might cause lung cancer. I have stopped taking that so much now.

I have done many self-studies over the years, without doubt aiming for optimum nutrition and supplementation makes me feel better than when I don't, across a range of experiences.
Comment savez-vous que vous ne parlez pas bollox?
Sur internet: http://bit.ly/14A0n9H

Lance Kennedy
True Skeptic
Custom Title: Super Skeptic

Postby Lance Kennedy » Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:27 pm

Salomed

There is at least one epidemiological study that shows that vitamin mega doses is associated with a reduction in life span.

If you want to take a totally unnecessary risk, that is your business. But the healthiest approach is simply to ensure a good balanced diet.

Return to “Healthcare”