Scientists Reverse Brain Damage in Drowned Toddler

A skeptical look at medical practices

psychiatry is a scam
Frequent Poster

Re: Scientists Reverse Brain Damage in Drowned Toddler

Postby psychiatry is a scam » Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:54 am

there is no polite way to say this .
saving kids like this is more than an enormous waste of time , money and resources .
99.9 % of the time it also creates years of suffering for all those involved .

ironically I just watched a video recording made by teens watching a man drown .
no charges , they broke no law
for the real minority ; there will be no justice , there will be no peace .
makes sense 2me , so it has 2be wrong .

psychiatry is a scam
Frequent Poster

Postby psychiatry is a scam » Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:11 pm

skipped to the end of the video - facts of actual condition ?
did not look normal / walking at the end of video .
liver transplant ?
kidney transplant ?

OlegTheBatty
True Skeptic
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Postby OlegTheBatty » Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:41 pm

. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

Gord
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Postby Gord » Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:49 pm

Mmm, skepticism.... :drool:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/healt ... 52441.html

Did hyperbaric oxygen therapy really reverse brain damage in a two-year-old girl who nearly drowned?

...Doctors at the LSU New Orleans School of Medicine said they used hyperbaric oxygen therapy, which involves breathing pure oxygen in a pressurised enclosed chamber, to revive toddler Eden Carlson after the accident that left her without a heartbeat for two hours.

But experts have reacted to the news with scepticism, with one noting “there has been a long history of claims for hyperbaric therapy which have not been supported by evidence”....

...The FDA website states that “hyperbaric oxygen therapy (HBOT) has not been clinically proven to cure or be effective in the treatment of cancer, autism, or diabetes” despite “all kinds of claims” made online that it can be used to treat these and other diseases....

...[W]hile the reported improvement in Eden’s condition is unquestionably good news, some doctors remain unconvinced hyperbaric oxygen therapy is the reason for her recovery.

Dr Oliver Sykes, a consultant anaesthetist at University College London Hospitals (UCLH) who is himself a hyperbaric physician, offering the treatment to divers in emergencies, told The Independent hyperbaric therapy “is not a recognised treatment for brain injury, as occurs for example during drowning”.

“We don’t use hyperbaric therapy for anything like this in the UK,” he said, adding that Dr Harch’s claims “seem far-fetched to me”.

“I can’t think of a reason why what has been reported would have happened, and I’d be very surprised if this was a repeatable result. I haven’t heard of this kind of reported outcome before.

“In the UK we know hyperbaric therapy is good for things like the bends, experienced when divers surface too rapidly; and for arterial gas embolism (when gas bubbles are introduced into the bloodstream) – NHS England funds hyperbaric therapy for those two things.

“In the US, hyperbaric therapy is also used for treatment of diabetic foot ulcers, but whether it works for that is more controversial in this country.

“There has been a long history of claims for hyperbaric therapy which have not been supported by evidence. There has been some research looking at whether there could be benefits after hypoxic brain injury (similar to what happens during drowning) but this has only been looked at in rats.

“There is no evidence in humans that supports the suggestion that hyperbaric therapy could be effective in treating brain damage suffered after drowning.

“If the claims made here were true I think we’d know about it by now.”

The FDA website says that hyperbaric therapy has not been “proven to be the kind of universal treatment it has been touted to be on some Internet sites”, raising concerns some of the claims made by HBOT treatment centres “may give consumers a wrong impression that could ultimately endanger their health”.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster
Custom Title: cognitively consonant

Postby Nikki Nyx » Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:33 pm

I have three questions:
1. What kind of parents aren't paying attention to their two-year-old every single second?
2. What kind of parents don't notice their two-year-old is missing for more then 15 minutes?
3. Why in hell do these parents still have custody of this child, since their neglect is what caused this event to occur?
What are the facts? Again and again and again-what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore divine revelation, forget what “the stars foretell,” avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable “verdict of history”--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your single clue. Get the facts!
—Lazarus Long, from Time Enough for Love, by Robert A. Heinlein

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:01 am

Nikki Nyx wrote:2. What kind of parents don't notice their two-year-old is missing for more then 15 minutes?

than
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
#ANDAMOVIE

scrmbldggs
Has No Life
Custom Title: something

Postby scrmbldggs » Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:04 am

Those Thans! What a horrible bench! :shakefist:
Hi, Io the lurker.

Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster

Postby Nikki Nyx » Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:09 am

Gord wrote:
Nikki Nyx wrote:2. What kind of parents don't notice their two-year-old is missing for more then 15 minutes?

than

Dammit! Thanks, Gord. That's not an error I usually make, and I have no idea how it happened. I blame—crap...who can I blame? Bobbo! Give me someone to blame! :mrgreen:
What are the facts? Again and again and again-what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore divine revelation, forget what “the stars foretell,” avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable “verdict of history”--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your single clue. Get the facts!

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:29 am

I blame bobbo too.
#ANDAMOVIE

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
True Skeptic

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:32 am

I always blame the Irish. They are usually too drunk to notice or to care.

I second Psyche is a Scam on this. I look forward to the Irish coming out in me regarding future stories on how this child is a joy to be around as at age 8 they smile at cats.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:41 pm

Nikki wrote:2. What kind of parents don't notice their two-year-old is missing for more then 15 minutes?

Maybe the question is "why didn't they notice the searched for toddler in the pool right away" - because at first no one figured she could have gotten in there, baby gates and all...

And then there's ye olde, "I thought you had her with you!"... "No! I thought you did!"...
Hi, Io the lurker.

Poodle
Has More Than 8K Posts
Custom Title: Regular sleeper

Postby Poodle » Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:20 pm

Gord wrote:I blame bobbo too.

Is this a franchise?

Lance Kennedy
Has More Than 9K Posts
Custom Title: Super Skeptic

Postby Lance Kennedy » Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:22 am

The answer to this was the water temperature. 5 Celsius is definitely cold. The toddler would have suffered a substantial drop in body temperature, which substantially reduced the damage to the brain by lack of oxygen. As long as the rescuers kept the toddler chilled until they could attempt revival, brain damage would be minimised. Such situations are not new.

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:22 am

Agree.
Hi, Io the lurker.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
True Skeptic

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:06 am

Kiddie was in the pool for 15 min. IIRC the record in a frozen lake is around 30 minutes?

Also just heard Baby Charlie the fatally brain damaged kiddie in England has been given permission to "go home" with his parents? Haven't seen the latest update. I assume we will get notice of the International Day of Mourning over the loss of this one kiddie.................when 1000's dying everyday elsewhere from preventable issues/conflicts. 300K dead from cholera in Yemen......because (forget who now) powers that be won't allow supplies/docs into the area. Disease and starvation as a weapon of war while the world mourns as its attention is directed.

Silly hoomans.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.

Lance Kennedy
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby Lance Kennedy » Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:53 pm

Bobbo
30 minutes is pretty close.

Because I am a keen scuba diver, I read all kinds of stuff relating to scuba. Some years ago, a young woman diving with her boyfriend in the Great Lakes entered a shipwreck. She got separated from him, and trapped inside the wreck. He escaped and saw her through a pothole thrashing around, in the final stage of drowning. It was about 30 to 40 minutes before he surfaced, got help, and went down again to retrieve her body. She was revived, and later completed a university degree, which suggests little or no brain damage. The water they were diving in was frigid.

Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster

Postby Nikki Nyx » Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:18 pm

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:Also just heard Baby Charlie the fatally brain damaged kiddie in England has been given permission to "go home" with his parents? Haven't seen the latest update. I assume we will get notice of the International Day of Mourning over the loss of this one kiddie.................when 1000's dying everyday elsewhere from preventable issues/conflicts. 300K dead from cholera in Yemen......because (forget who now) powers that be won't allow supplies/docs into the area. Disease and starvation as a weapon of war while the world mourns as its attention is directed.

Silly hoomans.

Baby Charlie is a white baby living in the Western world. Hence the silliness.

psychiatry is a scam
Frequent Poster

Postby psychiatry is a scam » Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:30 am

Lance Kennedy wrote:Bobbo
30 minutes is pretty close.

Because I am a keen scuba diver, I read all kinds of stuff relating to scuba. Some years ago, a young woman diving with her boyfriend in the Great Lakes entered a shipwreck. She got separated from him, and trapped inside the wreck. He escaped and saw her through a pothole thrashing around, in the final stage of drowning. It was about 30 to 40 minutes before he surfaced, got help, and went down again to retrieve her body. She was revived, and later completed a university degree, which suggests little or no brain damage. The water they were diving in was frigid.

a got any links for this ?

or wording for a google search ?

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
True Skeptic

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:37 am

(revived freezing water) == my first hit was a hooman for two hours. Didn't read the details.

Lance Kennedy
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby Lance Kennedy » Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:03 am

Pias

It was a number of years ago, probably pre internet. I remember it was an item in Skin Diver magazine, but that is all I can tell you.

Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster

Postby Nikki Nyx » Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:02 am

Lance Kennedy wrote:I remember it was an item in Skin Diver magazine, but that is all I can tell you.
So, you're one of the rare ones who read the articles, huh? ;)

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:26 am

Pias, there are a bunch of articles on stuff like that. Here's one of them (about children).
Hi, Io the lurker.

KevinLevites
Poster

Postby KevinLevites » Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:27 pm

psychiatry is a scam wrote:there is no polite way to say this .
saving kids like this is more than an enormous waste of time , money and resources .
99.9 % of the time it also creates years of suffering for all those involved .

ironically I just watched a video recording made by teens watching a man drown .
no charges , they broke no law

I don't necessarily agree with what you've said...but I can't reasonably refute it. Huge amounts of time, expense, and resources go into medical futility.

Still...I might want it if it was my kid.

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:48 pm

I agree that it sometimes seems senseless or futile, but an oath is an oath, hope is hope and love is love.
Hi, Io the lurker.

Lance Kennedy
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby Lance Kennedy » Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:15 am

New medical methods always costs a lot, at first. But the price falls with time, development, and experience. In the future, these methods may well be very reasonably costed, and available to all. The initial work is expensive, but long term results in benefits for millions.

Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster

Postby Nikki Nyx » Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:49 pm

Lance Kennedy wrote:New medical methods always costs a lot, at first. But the price falls with time, development, and experience. In the future, these methods may well be very reasonably costed, and available to all. The initial work is expensive, but long term results in benefits for millions.
When the alternative is not spending that money, and continuing to crouch in caves, senselessly dying when we could prevent it, I vote to not be a Luddite. :mrgreen:

Return to “Healthcare”