Need to lose weight? Don't smell your food!

A skeptical look at medical practices
Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster
Custom Title: cognitively consonant

Need to lose weight? Don't smell your food!

Postby Nikki Nyx » Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:47 pm

Researchers developed ways to temporarily eliminate the sense of smell in adult mice, and discovered that those mice that lost smell could eat a high-fat diet and stay a normal weight, while littermates that retained the sense of smell ballooned to twice normal weight. Supersmellers gained more weight than did normal mice on the same high-fat diet. Smell-deficient mice burned excess fat instead of storing it, suggesting a link between smell and metabolism.

The findings suggest that the odor of what we eat may play an important role in how the body deals with calories. If you can't smell your food, you may burn it rather than store it.

These results point to a key connection between the olfactory or smell system and regions of the brain that regulate metabolism, in particular the hypothalamus, though the neural circuits are still unknown. LINK
So, it's not what you eat, but what you smell that makes you gain weight? :blink:
What are the facts? Again and again and again-what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore divine revelation, forget what “the stars foretell,” avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable “verdict of history”--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your single clue. Get the facts!
—Lazarus Long, from Time Enough for Love, by Robert A. Heinlein

Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Re: Need to lose weight? Don't smell your food!

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:57 pm

This beer smells great.
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"

WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

OlegTheBatty
True Skeptic
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Postby OlegTheBatty » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:26 pm

People tend to gain weight with age, while olfactory ability tends to decline. Which may prove that most of are not mice.
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

Gord
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Postby Gord » Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:34 am

I want to make a joke about "Is that why the French don't gain weight when they eat their high-fat diets?" but I'm better than that.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

scrmbldggs
Has No Life
Custom Title: something

Postby scrmbldggs » Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:26 am

those mice that lost smell could eat a high-fat diet and stay a normal weight, while littermates that retained the sense of smell ballooned to twice normal weight.

Did they in fact eat the same amount? Smell draws them to their food, maybe the nose impaired ones found they had "less of an appetite"?
Hi, Io the lurker.

Lance Kennedy
Has More Than 9K Posts
Custom Title: Super Skeptic

Postby Lance Kennedy » Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:35 am

Less appetite appears to be the best hypothesis. The researchers say no. But not all research is done rigorously enough to permit such assertions. Less appetite means eating less and getting less fat. Perfect fit to Occam's razor.

ElectricMonk
Persistent Poster
Custom Title: His Beatitude

Postby ElectricMonk » Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:39 am

If I can't enjoy my food with all my senses, why eat it in the first place?
I've come up with a set of rules that describe our reactions to technologies:
Spoiler:
1. Anything that is in the world when you’re born is normal and ordinary and is just a natural part of the way the world works.
2. Anything that's invented between when you’re fifteen and thirty-five is new and exciting and revolutionary and you can probably get a career in it.
3. Anything invented after you're thirty-five is against the natural order of things.
- Douglas Adams

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:58 am

:hmm: Do you have food smeared all over yourself when eating? JK, but don't ask a person with a healthy appetite. :-P

And another point to consider. If their sense of smell was entirely gone, their entire little world would have been different. Maybe they even didn't feel threatened and/or competitive, etc.... :pardon:
Hi, Io the lurker.

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:05 am

Lance Kennedy wrote:Less appetite appears to be the best hypothesis. The researchers say no. But not all research is done rigorously enough to permit such assertions. Less appetite means eating less and getting less fat. Perfect fit to Occam's razor.

If they did it on mice, then presumably they weighed their food to make sure they were all eating the same amounts.

I think the idea they're suggesting is that smelling food triggers your body to prepare it to store fat. It's not that far fetched -- smelling food does affect your digestive system, for instance, by making your mouth water. Or making your skin crawl, if it's my sister's cooking.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
#ANDAMOVIE

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:10 am

Gord wrote:
Lance Kennedy wrote:Less appetite appears to be the best hypothesis. The researchers say no. But not all research is done rigorously enough to permit such assertions. Less appetite means eating less and getting less fat. Perfect fit to Occam's razor.

If they did it on mice, then presumably they weighed their food to make sure they were all eating the same amounts.

But did they make sure it was all gone before they gave them their dessert?

smelling food does affect your digestive system, for instance, by making your mouth water.

So the mices were missing their first batch of enzymes! :shock:
Hi, Io the lurker.

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:18 am

ElectricMonk wrote:If I can't enjoy my food with all my senses, why eat it in the first place?

That's some weird vocabulary...
Spoiler:

:-P
Hi, Io the lurker.

Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster

Postby Nikki Nyx » Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:38 am

OlegTheBatty wrote:People tend to gain weight with age, while olfactory ability tends to decline. Which may prove that most of are not mice.
Quite right! This merely proves a connection between the olfactory and metabolic functioning in mice. It remains to be seen whether it pans out in human beings. Frankly, I don't plan to put a clothespin on my nose every time I eat. :mrgreen: Although, I'm sure it would amuse my neighbors.
What are the facts? Again and again and again-what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore divine revelation, forget what “the stars foretell,” avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable “verdict of history”--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your single clue. Get the facts!

Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster

Postby Nikki Nyx » Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:39 am

scrmbldggs wrote:
those mice that lost smell could eat a high-fat diet and stay a normal weight, while littermates that retained the sense of smell ballooned to twice normal weight.

Did they in fact eat the same amount? Smell draws them to their food, maybe the nose impaired ones found they had "less of an appetite"?

The study claimed that all three groups—non-smellers, normal smellers, and super-smellers—were fed the exact same high-fat diet and ate the exact same amount.

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:33 am

Nikki Nyx wrote:super-smellers

Ah, I've known a few of those.
#ANDAMOVIE

Austin Harper
Perpetual Poster
Custom Title: Rock Chalk Astrohawk

Postby Austin Harper » Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:08 pm

I think my sister might be a super-smeller. She often complains about bad smells that nobody else can notice, or that it takes a long time for the rest of us to notice.
Dum ratio nos ducet, valebimus et multa bene geremus.

Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster

Postby Nikki Nyx » Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:02 pm

Gord wrote:
Nikki Nyx wrote:super-smellers

Ah, I've known a few of those.

:lol:

Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster

Postby Nikki Nyx » Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:10 pm

Austin Harper wrote:I think my sister might be a super-smeller. She often complains about bad smells that nobody else can notice, or that it takes a long time for the rest of us to notice.
I dislike the smell of cooked (or cooking) cruciferous vegetables and beans (not legumes). To me, the smell is repulsive and not at all like food. It's so bad that I can't get past the smell to even taste them. But I have no issue with cabbage slaws.

Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:23 pm

Balut.

Flash
Has More Than 6K Posts

Postby Flash » Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:56 pm

I actually have found a German store in Southern Ontario that sells real fermented cabbage and pickles. The pickled cabbage and cucumbers sold in the supermarkets are pickled in vinegar and therefore are not fermented.

In that store the sliced cabbage sits in a barrel in the middle of the store without any refrigeration. Actually, the refrigeration would drastically slow down the fermentation process.

In another barrel beside it there are real fermented pickles. You just lift the barrel cover of either one and the smell is heavenly; a kind of sour odor mixed with dill, salt and pepper.

My wife and I make regular expeditions to the store with a big glass container. We fill it with the "rotten" cabbage and the fluid and leave it on a counter at home. It can stay like that for weeks if not months and it does not need refrigeration. :mrgreen:
When I feel like exercising, I just lie down until the feeling goes away. Paul Terry

Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster

Postby Nikki Nyx » Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:38 pm

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:53 am

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:Balut.

Ah yes. Reason #704 to never visit the Philippines: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balut_(food)
#ANDAMOVIE

Brainguy

Postby Brainguy » Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:23 pm

Well, I still don't understand how not being able to smell food can make someone lose weight. It is simple for some of us who knows what to do. I have been on keto diet for more than 6 weeks now. I do the normal thing to make sure my daily calorie intake and macro-nutrient ratios are okay using the keto calculator. It has been working for me as I have lost some pounds since I started. I don't see any reason why someone would get their sense of smell off just because he or she wants to lose weight.

Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:38 pm

Food tastes flat if you can't smell it, so it's less desirable.

Monster
Perpetual Poster

Postby Monster » Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:41 pm

Gord wrote:I want to make a joke about "Is that why the French don't gain weight when they eat their high-fat diets?" but I'm better than that.

:lol:
Listening twice as much as you speak is a sign of wisdom.

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:28 pm

Brainguy wrote:I have been on keto diet for more than 6 weeks now.

For epileptic seizures?
#ANDAMOVIE

Return to “Healthcare”