Brains and sex hormones

A skeptical look at medical practices
Lance Kennedy
True Skeptic
Custom Title: Super Skeptic

Brains and sex hormones

Postby Lance Kennedy » Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:42 am

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2 ... ce+News%29

It turns out that changes in the level of sex hormones have no effect on how well we use our brains. There is a long running sexist idea that women undergoing menstruation have lowered thinking ability. It is not so.

Neither do high levels of male hormones affect our ability to think. Just what we think about !

ElectricMonk
Persistent Poster
Custom Title: His Beatitude

Re: Brains and sex hormones

Postby ElectricMonk » Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:56 am

There was also the hot debate what kind of athletes should or shouldn't have sex before a competition.
Too bad chess players can no longer use that excuse to get laid.
I've come up with a set of rules that describe our reactions to technologies:
Spoiler:
1. Anything that is in the world when you’re born is normal and ordinary and is just a natural part of the way the world works.
2. Anything that's invented between when you’re fifteen and thirty-five is new and exciting and revolutionary and you can probably get a career in it.
3. Anything invented after you're thirty-five is against the natural order of things.
- Douglas Adams

scrmbldggs
Has No Life
Custom Title: something

Postby scrmbldggs » Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:01 am

:lol:

Lard, save me from your followers.

TJrandom
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:55 am

ElectricMonk wrote:There was also the hot debate what kind of athletes should or shouldn't have sex before a competition.
Two bad chess players can no longer use that excuse to get laid.

Eh? You and who else? :lol:

Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster
Custom Title: cognitively consonant

Postby Nikki Nyx » Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:30 pm

Lance Kennedy wrote:https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2017/07/170704093610.htm?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+sciencedaily%2Ftop_news%2Ftop_science+%28ScienceDaily%3A+Top+Science+News%29

It turns out that changes in the level of sex hormones have no effect on how well we use our brains. There is a long running sexist idea that women undergoing menstruation have lowered thinking ability. It is not so.

Neither do high levels of male hormones affect our ability to think. Just what we think about !

I never believed it was testosterone that was to blame for men's "duh" moments. The problem is a limited blood supply. Think about sex, and blood drains from your brain and surges to your genitals, causing hypoxia. :wgrin: In some men, this causes delusions, like thinking that a red convertible will successfully lure a nubile 20-year-old to their balding, pot-bellied, 60-year-old charm.*

I just met you, and this is crazy.
I know your grandpa. Date me maybe? :rotfl:

*Present company is, of course, excepted, being a fine group of men with critical thinking skills. :nyaah:
What are the facts? Again and again and again-what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore divine revelation, forget what “the stars foretell,” avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable “verdict of history”--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your single clue. Get the facts!
—Lazarus Long, from Time Enough for Love, by Robert A. Heinlein

Lance Kennedy
True Skeptic
Custom Title: Super Skeptic

Postby Lance Kennedy » Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:58 pm

I am more part of the idiot crowd who believe a luxury boat will do the luring. (I am a scuba diver, and my friends tend to be hung up on boats).

I was told that what was needed was a luxury boat that was one foot long for every year of my life. Sadly, I do not think that would work any more. I would now need the Queen Mary, and even then I would be tossed out of bed. SIGH!

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:05 pm

Nah, you just have to find those without sea legs. Like, mermaids, eh. :-P

TJrandom
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:40 pm

Quite derisively, I have been called a barcode, and more recently a headlight – neither of which is likely to endear me to a 20s something, no matter my vast and bling-worthy holdings.

Bar-code – one with wisps of long hair combed strategically across a balding head, showing gaps.
Headlight – the result of receding forehead hair.
:? :lol: :roll:

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:44 pm

:laff:

Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster

Postby Nikki Nyx » Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:15 am

TJrandom wrote:Quite derisively, I have been called a barcode, and more recently a headlight – neither of which is likely to endear me to a 20s something, no matter my vast and bling-worthy holdings.

Bar-code – one with wisps of long hair combed strategically across a balding head, showing gaps.
Headlight – the result of receding forehead hair.
:? :lol: :roll:

I never heard either of those terms before, nor would I use them. It's strange—and this is my personal opinion, obviously—men who are balding instantly gain sex appeal when they shave it all off and grow some fierce facial hair. To wit...

Not sexy.

Devastatingly sexy.
What are the facts? Again and again and again-what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore divine revelation, forget what “the stars foretell,” avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable “verdict of history”--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your single clue. Get the facts!

TJrandom
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:13 am

Nieces can be cruel... you never know what the younger generation will come up with.

BTW, I don`t find either of those two to be sexy... :roll:

Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster

Postby Nikki Nyx » Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:56 pm

Well, most women don't look good with shaven heads and beards, to be fair. :wgrin:

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:03 pm

Nikki Nyx wrote:Well, most women don't look good with shaven heads and beards, to be fair. :wgrin:

Ain't that the truth...

Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster

Postby Nikki Nyx » Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:10 pm

Yikes. I might need the eye bleach after all...lol.

Return to “Healthcare”