Microdosing them bloody drugs.

A skeptical look at medical practices
Lance Kennedy
Has More Than 9K Posts
Custom Title: Super Skeptic

Microdosing them bloody drugs.

Postby Lance Kennedy » Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:30 am

Reference : New Scientist, 17 June 2017, page 22

It appears that both psilocybin (magic mushrooms) and LSD in small doses taken regularly may have benefits for some mental disorders. Note : not anxiety. I am talking about depression and PTSD.

The appropriate dose is about one tenth of that taken by recreational users, and taken 2 to 3 times a week. This is not proven. There is a problem with testing illegal drugs, and researchers have not fully nailed this down. Magic mushroom microdose is about 0.2 grams.

But the indications are that microdoses do not cause harm, and may be therapeutic in the right place. Indeed, there are reports that they enhance creativity in normal people.

Microdosers report feeling more determined, active and enthusiastic, but also more nervous and jittery.

Obviously more research is needed.

TJrandom
Has More Than 7K Posts

Re: Microdosing them bloody drugs.

Postby TJrandom » Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:40 am

Lance Kennedy wrote:Reference : New Scientist, 17 June 2017, page 22

It appears that both psilocybin (magic mushrooms) and LSD in small doses taken regularly may have benefits for some mental disorders. Note : not anxiety. I am talking about depression and PTSD.

The appropriate dose is about one tenth of that taken by recreational users, and taken 2 to 3 times a week. This is not proven. There is a problem with testing illegal drugs, and researchers have not fully nailed this down. Magic mushroom microdose is about 0.2 grams.

But the indications are that microdoses do not cause harm, and may be therapeutic in the right place. Indeed, there are reports that they enhance creativity in normal people.

Microdosers report feeling more determined, active and enthusiastic, but also more nervous and jittery.

Obviously more research is needed.

More determined, active, and enthusiastic in obtaining their next score, yet more nervous and jittery lest they be caught? :roll:

ElectricMonk
Persistent Poster
Custom Title: His Beatitude

Postby ElectricMonk » Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:02 pm

great, another believer in homeopathy ...
;)

I say taking a lot helps a lot !
I've come up with a set of rules that describe our reactions to technologies:
Spoiler:
1. Anything that is in the world when you’re born is normal and ordinary and is just a natural part of the way the world works.
2. Anything that's invented between when you’re fifteen and thirty-five is new and exciting and revolutionary and you can probably get a career in it.
3. Anything invented after you're thirty-five is against the natural order of things.
- Douglas Adams

scrmbldggs
Has No Life
Custom Title: something

Postby scrmbldggs » Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:23 pm

Might not be exactly what zeuzzz was going for, but I do wish he'd seen the day...
Hi, Io the lurker.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:16 pm

Lance Kennedy wrote:It appears that both psilocybin (magic mushrooms) and LSD in small doses taken regularly may have benefits for some mental disorders.
LSD has been used by some psychiatrists since the 60's. It also enhances or accentuates a patient's emotional reactions during "talk therapy" :D

Major Malfunction
Has No Life
Custom Title: Dérailleur Énigmatique

Postby Major Malfunction » Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:13 am

I suppose that psychedelic hallucinations are important to understand that your perceptions may not always be telling the exact truth.

Which I recommend exploring. But by golly. Don't go too far down that path. Just once or twice was enough for me. Then {!#%@} starts getting scary.

{!#%@}. Bad trip, man. Bad {!#%@} trip.

I'm like Doctor Bones. I won't step into that teleporter. I don't trust it.
This being was produced using the same process as other beings, and therefore, may contain traces of nuts.

Lance Kennedy
Has More Than 9K Posts
Custom Title: Super Skeptic

Postby Lance Kennedy » Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:46 am

Sometimes a reduction in dose of a drug changes the nature of the experience, not just the intensity. There is now evidence that microdoses of LSD and psilocybin may be therapeutic. At least, for some conditions. So we do not have to assume the microdose experience is the same as the full recreational dose. For example, we do not have to assume hallucinations.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
True Skeptic

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:10 am

somewhat related....Pixie Idiot Jeff Sessions wants the Feds to crack down on Marijuana sales......including the medicinal strains that don't even get you high.

Republicans...... not really conservative, more like reactionary and retrograde.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

scrmbldggs
Has No Life
Custom Title: something

Postby scrmbldggs » Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:25 am

Someone somewhere on teh interwebz (aptly) named him Darth Keebler. :lol:
Hi, Io the lurker.

Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster
Custom Title: cognitively consonant

Postby Nikki Nyx » Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:27 am

Matthew Ellard wrote:
Lance Kennedy wrote:It appears that both psilocybin (magic mushrooms) and LSD in small doses taken regularly may have benefits for some mental disorders.
LSD has been used by some psychiatrists since the 60's. It also enhances or accentuates a patient's emotional reactions during "talk therapy" :D

"So, tell me about your childhood."
"I will if you make this giant purple hamster stop licking my earlobe."
What are the facts? Again and again and again-what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore divine revelation, forget what “the stars foretell,” avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable “verdict of history”--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your single clue. Get the facts!
—Lazarus Long, from Time Enough for Love, by Robert A. Heinlein

Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster
Custom Title: cognitively consonant

Postby Nikki Nyx » Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:28 am

scrmbldggs wrote:Someone somewhere on teh interwebz (aptly) named him Darth Keebler. :lol:

I think he looks like the Church Lady after a sex change.
What are the facts? Again and again and again-what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore divine revelation, forget what “the stars foretell,” avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable “verdict of history”--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your single clue. Get the facts!
—Lazarus Long, from Time Enough for Love, by Robert A. Heinlein

Gord
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Postby Gord » Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:10 am

ElectricMonk wrote:great, another believer in homeopathy ...

I was gonna say that!!
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

Major Malfunction
Has No Life
Custom Title: Dérailleur Énigmatique

Postby Major Malfunction » Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:19 am

Since I'm Australian, I have a natural immunity to iocane powder.
This being was produced using the same process as other beings, and therefore, may contain traces of nuts.

TJrandom
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:55 pm

Faker....

Return to “Healthcare”