Anti-depressants for Kids

A skeptical look at medical practices
Tom Palven
Perpetual Poster

Anti-depressants for Kids

Postby Tom Palven » Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:24 am

Sounds like soma in Brave New World if I remember correctly:
https://www.lewrockwell.com/2017/06/no_ ... zens-obey/
If one can be taught to believe absurdities, one can commit atrocities. --Voltaire

TJrandom
Has More Than 7K Posts

Re: Anti-depressants for Kids

Postby TJrandom » Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:47 am

Tom Palven wrote:Sounds like soma in Brave New World if I remember correctly:
https://www.lewrockwell.com/2017/06/no_ ... zens-obey/

The government is changing citizens’ behavior with incentives and disincentives, which destroys the natural spontaneous order anarchy society would otherwise fall into.

Me thinks the author is losing it.... as if a natural spontaneous order could ever be a good thing with uncivilised humanity...

Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster
Custom Title: cognitively consonant

Postby Nikki Nyx » Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:11 pm

*sigh* Another libertarian who thinks people would be angels if it weren't for all those oppressive laws and regulations. Like all idealists in that cult, he ignores the obvious fact that people don't behave themselves now, even with penalties for behaving antisocially.
The government is changing citizens’ behavior with incentives and disincentives, which destroys the natural spontaneous order society would otherwise fall into.
Yes, because people like Jeffrey Dahmer should be free to pursue their dietary desires without feeling stifled by disincentives. The Adam Lanzas of the world should be free to brutally murder school children without being judged. Those damn incentives to behave...oh, wait.
The government has basically turned society into a pinball machine which bounces citizens from here to there, taking away control of their destiny.
Tell it, brother! If it weren't for the government, I'd have the choice to buy salmonella-tainted food at inflated prices! Big Brother has taken that away from me. How dare they force me to drink clean water from my own tap? Who do they think they are, providing my home with electricity? What a nerve they have, plowing the snow from my street all winter long, like they own the place!
And then, they use their own coercion as an example of why we need more coercion: because people cannot control their own outcomes in life!
Even if you lived alone on a deserted island, you would not be able to control your own outcome in life, idiot.
Coercion is arguably the leading cause of all mental health issues.
I feel horribly guilty that people who might otherwise commit crimes suffer mental health issues because laws and regulations coerce them into behaving in a socially-accepted manner. Really. It keeps me up at night.
What are the facts? Again and again and again-what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore divine revelation, forget what “the stars foretell,” avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable “verdict of history”--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your single clue. Get the facts!
—Lazarus Long, from Time Enough for Love, by Robert A. Heinlein

Gord
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Postby Gord » Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:14 am

LunaNik wrote:
The government has basically turned society into a pinball machine which bounces citizens from here to there, taking away control of their destiny.

Tell it, brother! If it weren't for the government, I'd have the choice to buy salmonella-tainted food at inflated prices! Big Brother has taken that away from me. How dare they force me to drink clean water from my own tap? Who do they think they are, providing my home with electricity? What a nerve they have, plowing the snow from my street all winter long, like they own the place!

Preach it, sister!

P.S. Mr. Nozick's Neighbourhood: http://existentialcomics.com/comic/36
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

Return to “Healthcare”