Helthcare a Privelij

A skeptical look at medical practices
Gord
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Re: Helthcare a Privelij

Postby Gord » Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:35 pm

TJrandom wrote:
Gord wrote:... Move to Canada, they have a much better system.

While I do agree that Canada has a better system, moving there seems out of reach for most people. The (IMO) US needs to implement a system that is at least as good as the Canadian system - that works for all Americans.

The question was, what would I do. Nobody else is invited! :P
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

Gord
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Postby Gord » Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:02 pm

xouper wrote:
Gord wrote:Move to Canada, they have a much better system.

My father lives in Canada. To hear his complaints, it does not seem that Canada is doing a better job. And it is getting worse, according to his family doctor.

Yeah, Canadians like to complain about our health care system. That's how we get our governments to fix the problems.

But Canada is absolutely doing a better job, even though we're not the best in the world and have a long way to go in improving things. We keep finding this out in study after study, like these:

http://nordic.businessinsider.com/the-1 ... ms-2017-1/

16. Canada — Canada's 1984 Health Act entrenches in law the country's system of free at the point of access healthcare, known as Medicare. Canada's system is not perfect however, and in recent years the number of Canadians going south for private care in the USA has grown.

http://thepatientfactor.com/canadian-he ... h-systems/

30 Canada
37 USA

http://globalnews.ca/news/3599458/canad ... ers-study/

Canada has been ranked third-to-last in a detailed new study comparing health-care systems in 11 developed nations, managing to beat out only France and the bottom-ranked United States.

Of course, whenever you use a qualifier like "best" or "better", you're introducing opinion into the equation. For instance, one person might think the best system is whichever one saves the most lives overall, another might prefer the system that has the lowest price for him personally, and a third might consider the best system one which involved prayer and avoids the exchange of precious bodily fluids.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

TJrandom
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:01 am

Yes - my take on National healthcare systems is that they are far better than having none, but can always be improved.

TJrandom
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:20 pm

I found this article to be an excellent comparison of the UK system vs several other countries, the US included.

TJrandom
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:56 am

This mirrors what I have encountered on a cancer patient forum – where for some, half of the battle is with insurance companies. Having insurance isn`t enough if the insurance company is in a position to play doctor.

Return to “Healthcare”