What is not patented is prohibited

A skeptical look at medical practices
Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Re: What is not patented is prohibited

Postby Matthew Ellard » Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:27 am

psychiatry is a scam wrote:I was hoping someone wood comment on his last post on this topic :-/

Oleg the Batty did exactly that. He pointed out that better drugs extends the lifespan of patients allowing pharmaceutical manufacturers to increase profits by selling drugs to clients for longer periods. It is that simple.

Nobrot
Poster

Postby Nobrot » Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:41 am

psychiatry is a scam wrote:
zeuzzz wrote:In case you hadn't noted a central theme here these two pictures that just appeared in my facebook feed are kind of relevant.

I've probably not been as clear as I could have been above. Will frame it differently soon.

Do you suffer from long term memory loss?

scrmbldggs
Has No Life
Custom Title: something

Postby scrmbldggs » Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:44 am

Nobrot wrote:
psychiatry is a scam wrote:
zeuzzz wrote:In case you hadn't noted a central theme here these two pictures that just appeared in my facebook feed are kind of relevant.

I've probably not been as clear as I could have been above. Will frame it differently soon.

Do you suffer from long term memory loss?

Um, I guess one could call it that. viewtopic.php?f=54&t=26602#p561599

Lard, save me from your followers.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:17 am

Nobrot wrote: Do you suffer from long term memory loss?

It's hard to work out what Psychiatry is a scam doesn't suffer from. He won't see black psychiatrists as directed by his health insurer, for racist reasons. This evolved into his claim all psychiatrists are evil, without ever offering an iota of evidence to back this claim up. He thinks the USA's Equal Employment Opportunity Commission is somehow out to get him.

I have no idea why he posts on our science based skeptic forum. It's as though he was playing "musical forums" and the music stopped when he was looking at ours, so he sat down and never moved again.

After almost a year, he still hasn't worked out how to post links to articles his reading and still spells "would" as "wood".
:D

ElectricMonk
Persistent Poster
Custom Title: His Beatitude

Postby ElectricMonk » Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:10 am

Matthew Ellard wrote:
psychiatry is a scam wrote:I was hoping someone wood comment on his last post on this topic :-/

Oleg the Batty did exactly that. He pointed out that better drugs extends the lifespan of patients allowing pharmaceutical manufacturers to increase profits by selling drugs to clients for longer periods. It is that simple.

By the same logic, the more serious the condition, the more expensive the drug: if there is a good chance of the patient dying soon, you better get as much of the poor's sod money as quickly as you can.
And that is in fact what we see.
From a purely statistically POV, some drugs for life-threatening conditions should be pretty cheap.
I've come up with a set of rules that describe our reactions to technologies:
Spoiler:
1. Anything that is in the world when you’re born is normal and ordinary and is just a natural part of the way the world works.
2. Anything that's invented between when you’re fifteen and thirty-five is new and exciting and revolutionary and you can probably get a career in it.
3. Anything invented after you're thirty-five is against the natural order of things.
- Douglas Adams

TJrandom
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:53 am

ElectricMonk wrote:... From a purely statistically POV, some drugs for life-threatening conditions should be pretty cheap.

But... but... b u t... They are! For dehydration – the prescription is water, while for starvation the prescription is food.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:15 am

ElectricMonk wrote:From a purely statistically POV, some drugs for life-threatening conditions should be pretty cheap.

I know absolutely nothing on subject, but I affirm this statement. Some pedants may complain about "some" but no one can challenge "should be."
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:22 pm

I think it's not uncommon that if a new use for an already developed and well established drug is found, the price goes up. No matter the actual cost of it...

Lance Kennedy
True Skeptic
Custom Title: Super Skeptic

Postby Lance Kennedy » Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:29 pm

There is no doubt that the pharmaceutical industry is full of unethical top managers. They cheat on proper double blind clinical trials of their products, and they selectively publish only that which makes their products look good. In addition, they massively (and I mean super, unbelievable massively) overcharge many of their drugs. They claim that is because of the high cost of developing drugs, but one look at their annual report shows the incredible profits they are making, in spite of that claim.

HOwever, there is also no doubt that pharmaceutical remedies work, while "alternative" therapies in the main do not. Even those few alternative therapies that do work, generally do not work very well. So, in spite of the fact that supporting modern drugs is also supporting the income of people who are on a par with mass murderers in terms of the harm they do to society, I will always go for a modern orthodox remedy instead of the total crap sold as 'alternative.'

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:45 pm

I think almost everyone heard a certain forceful (paraphrased) "I'll make them come down on prices!", but it seems hardly anyone noticed the mumbling of "Well, they need money for research..." while walking away after the first meeting...

ETA http://fortune.com/2017/01/31/trump-pha ... g-demands/

Lance Kennedy
True Skeptic
Custom Title: Super Skeptic

Postby Lance Kennedy » Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:05 am

The other issue with respect to drug prices, is patents. The drug companies are constantly agitating for longer periods before patents run out, with the rationalisation that it takes too long after patenting something to get it to market. However, they still seem able to make stupendous profits. If weak government ever gives in to this demand, what it will mean is a long time before cheaper generics can be made available, and that translates into mega-deaths of patients who cannot afford the life saving drugs. I would rather see patent times reduced, not increased. Getting out of patent earlier means cheap, life saving generic drugs on the market much earlier, and thus saving lives.

Return to “Healthcare”