Reading builds brains

Methods and means of supporting critical thinking in education
Gord
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Re: Reading builds brains

Postby Gord » Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:39 am

Lance Kennedy wrote:The etymological origin of the word, Gord, is not necessarily the way the word evolves in its useage.

I'm helping!
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

Lance Kennedy
Has More Than 9K Posts
Custom Title: Super Skeptic

Postby Lance Kennedy » Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:03 am

OK, Gord, I apologise. I should have acknowledged your help. So thank you.

Gord
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Postby Gord » Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:12 am

You don't need to apologise or thank me. I'm just glad you see that what I was posting was not a contradiction to what you said.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster
Custom Title: cognitively consonant

Postby Nikki Nyx » Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:25 am

I love etymology. While I realize that languages are living, changing things, it sometimes annoys me when words change their meaning, especially when people deliberately manipulate the language to obscure meaning. English is difficult enough...lol.
What are the facts? Again and again and again-what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore divine revelation, forget what “the stars foretell,” avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable “verdict of history”--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your single clue. Get the facts!
—Lazarus Long, from Time Enough for Love, by Robert A. Heinlein

Lance Kennedy
Has More Than 9K Posts
Custom Title: Super Skeptic

Postby Lance Kennedy » Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:36 am

I often use the internet for etymological references. It is so easy. In Google, just type the word 'etymology ' followed by the word you are interested in. Some of the results are fascinating.

Austin Harper
Perpetual Poster
Custom Title: Rock Chalk Astrohawk

Postby Austin Harper » Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:55 pm

I typically go to either wiktionary.org or etymonline.com for etymology information.
If you're interested in the topic, I would also recommend checking out the book The Etymologicon.
Dum ratio nos ducet, valebimus et multa bene geremus.

Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster
Custom Title: cognitively consonant

Postby Nikki Nyx » Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:08 pm

I was fortunate to have been able to skip Freshman English Comp in college as a direct result of my SAT scores. Instead, I was invited to participate in a Freshman English Seminar which was loads of fun, mainly because the professor was kind enough to assume we were as enthusiastic about the subject as he was.

Some of our assignments:
• Research the etymology of ten words (our choice), then use the word roots to make up five new words with sound etymological bases.
• Develop a consistent method to improve English spelling. (Something like what Jo is doing.)
• Write a Shakespearean sonnet with nontraditional subject matter.

I loved that class. Not only was it useful, it was also challenging and a lot of fun.
What are the facts? Again and again and again-what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore divine revelation, forget what “the stars foretell,” avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable “verdict of history”--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your single clue. Get the facts!
—Lazarus Long, from Time Enough for Love, by Robert A. Heinlein

Return to “Education”