Interesting Approach in Finland

Methods and means of supporting critical thinking in education
Tom Palven
Perpetual Poster

Interesting Approach in Finland

Postby Tom Palven » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:02 am

Finland will abandon school subjects:
https://brightside.me/wonder-curiositie ... ts-259910/
If one can be taught to believe absurdities, one can commit atrocities. --Voltaire

ahhell
Poster

Re: Interesting Approach in Finland

Postby ahhell » Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:56 pm

Well, there's decent research out there that suggests that the sitting behind a desk and listening to a lecture is fairly ineffective. So, that's not to bad. Also, this is only student in the last year of their mandatory secondary schools. So, it not exactly "abandoning" subjects, An interesting experiment for sure.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:09 pm

I'm a bit against the removal of core subjects from children's education. However I read the Finish article and did not find it all that radical. For example:

"There will no longer be any classes in physics, math, literature, history, or geography."

"Instead of individual subjects, students will study events and phenomena in an interdisciplinary format. For example, the Second World War will be examined from the perspective of history, geography, and math"

So, in essence, the students are still studying the core subjects but through application to actual events. That is probably sensible.

The next big point was: "This system will be introduced for senior students, beginning at the age of 16". I think that is pretty old. Most Australian kids start university at 16 or 17 years of age,

Rote Learning isn't that bad.
I certainly had to learn my simple mathematics tables through rote learning. So what? I also had to learn my basic piano scales through rote learning. I does seem to me, that if you learn your basic stuff through rote learning, then you don't have to send any brain processing time on the simple stuff, when you incorporate simple stuff with complex work that does need brain processing time.

It was Powerpoint plus a "talking head" that was seen as flawed.
From memory, there was hard data that Microsoft's Powerpoint was flawed in conveying information if a person was on stage verbally repeating the information in the Powerpoint presentation. The audience's attention span was continually being rapidly switched from one format type of information to another and simply lost the plot or could not rote learn simple phrases.

I still think the best way to study is to remove all distractions other than the one set of books you need to read and one note pad to write down the point you learned at the end of each paragraph of reading.

Nobrot
Poster

Postby Nobrot » Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:26 am

Is Finland the country who once had almost world domination of the cell phone market. I wonder what could have gone wrong?

Return to “Education”