Teaching and relativism/postmodernism

Methods and means of supporting critical thinking in education
Zetsubou_Sensei

Teaching and relativism/postmodernism

Postby Zetsubou_Sensei » Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:41 am

I've been studying to become an English teacher at university, however, I've come to realise how many teachers in my country, as well as the curriculum emphasises that everyone has their own version of the truth. An example of this is that if a student thinks or believes that we did not evolve but were divinely created, the teachers job is to transmit the knowledge of evolution, make sure they understand it, and allow students to believe in whatever they want to believe because it is only a version of the truth.

I'm finding this really demotivating since education is taken to be some kind of therapy were people go when they have nothing else to do, rather than actually learning about reality.

What do you guys or girls think about this?

Gord
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Re: Teaching and relativism/postmodernism

Postby Gord » Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:15 pm

I find it irrational. It's better to say Truth is debatable than to say there can be multiple overlapping and irreconcilable Truths.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

ElectricMonk
Persistent Poster
Custom Title: His Beatitude

Postby ElectricMonk » Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:37 pm

While there might be something to multiple possible 'truths' about a single subject, I think no one should be left off the hook saying that he/she just 'believes' one thing to be more correct than others:

As a teacher, i think you are entitled to ask for reflective justification of why one person believes as they do and why not a different way.
I've come up with a set of rules that describe our reactions to technologies:
Spoiler:
1. Anything that is in the world when you’re born is normal and ordinary and is just a natural part of the way the world works.
2. Anything that's invented between when you’re fifteen and thirty-five is new and exciting and revolutionary and you can probably get a career in it.
3. Anything invented after you're thirty-five is against the natural order of things.
- Douglas Adams

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:49 pm

Truth? In an ENGLISH class? Ha, ha. .......for what is He to Hecuba, or Hecuba to him?

YES===everyone has their own truth, in the appreciation of Literature. Truth in that CONTEXT is only an applied value system. Its NOT a physics experiment.

............and as everyone has their own truth/appreciation, YES there are many truths. Literature: learning everyone has their own point of view.

Its a beautiful thing.

Just look...............and stop trying to enforce your own values on everyone else.

Thats the truth.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:59 pm

Zetsubou_Sensei wrote: What do you guys or girls think about this?
You simply have to say to students,

"Many people have different ideas about evolution and that is their choice. However, in the real world, only those ideas that have good evidence and remain true, under scientific scrutiny, offer us real cures for cancer, discoveries in biology and a good understanding where we came from."

If any student is interested, then you can explain what a hypothesis is, or what the "Scientific Method" is, or the fundamental rule that a good person thinks about what all the evidence is suggesting, rather than looking for evidence to support an already existing idea. :D

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:28 am

Matt: good stuff for introductory science class===>totally off the mark for an English class.

So, maybe we should confirm? Say...........Zets, what class(es) are you teaching?

English you say but English as a language, literature, composition. EXACTLY what subject or question or point brought up the issue of "truth"?

"Beauty is truth, and truth beauty. That is all there is to know, and all ye need know." /// paraprashed from Memory. Its actually not true in almost any setting, but that English for you. Get the BS rolling, and don't stop until curfew.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:36 am

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:Zets, what class(es) are you teaching?
Zetsubou Sensei clearly said it was studying English as as second language, to teach in in Japan.

Perhaps you should read people's posts before commenting.
:D

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Wed Feb 10, 2016 3:16 am

Matt: where was that clearly said? All I see is total ambiguity.

He starts with: "I've been studying to become an English teacher..." NOT as you suggest a teacher "OF" English. I know prepositions can be tricky things. I said from rather than with on the Rich as Demigods Thread just a while ago.

Lots more ambiguities abound. The OP suggests a subject matter as does the example he gives, but none express as I have requested.

I don't see the concept of Zets using English as a secondary language anywhere in the short posting. Have you been altering your genes in some chemical way to devine this assertion? Zets posting has no stitled qualities about it to suggest English as a second language.

Please copy and paste what you think is clear????

ryu
Poster

Postby ryu » Fri Jul 22, 2016 2:13 am

Gord wrote:I find it irrational. It's better to say Truth is debatable than to say there can be multiple overlapping and irreconcilable Truths.

Same difference

ElectricMonk
Persistent Poster
Custom Title: His Beatitude

Postby ElectricMonk » Fri Jul 22, 2016 3:32 am

Truth is a question of context.
I've come up with a set of rules that describe our reactions to technologies:
Spoiler:
1. Anything that is in the world when you’re born is normal and ordinary and is just a natural part of the way the world works.
2. Anything that's invented between when you’re fifteen and thirty-five is new and exciting and revolutionary and you can probably get a career in it.
3. Anything invented after you're thirty-five is against the natural order of things.
- Douglas Adams

Gord
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Postby Gord » Fri Jul 22, 2016 4:19 am

ryu wrote:
Gord wrote:I find it irrational. It's better to say Truth is debatable than to say there can be multiple overlapping and irreconcilable Truths.

Same difference

Is not is not!
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

Return to “Education”