English multitopic

Methods and means of supporting critical thinking in education
User avatar
JO 753
Has No Life
Posts: 12416
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2005 3:21 pm
Custom Title: rezident owtsidr
Location: BLaNDLaND
Contact:

Re: English multitopic

Postby JO 753 » Sat May 06, 2017 12:25 pm

Gord wrote:it's


If a hot chick haz no bra under her T shirt so you can see her tits, then she takes off the T then are they its?

No no no that duznt work. I no therez a joke in there sumwhere. Wherez Aztexan wen you need him?
Gubmint for us
http://www.7532020.com
not the rich.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Posts: 11148
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:39 am

Re: English multitopic

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sat May 06, 2017 5:27 pm

Gord wrote:
bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:"Hate on it" seems entirely proper to me. Its how language grows, gives it nuance and local flavor.

Why you hating on it?

it's

Yeah....its the same issue. I still prefer the rule of fewest key strokes. If I actually followed it..........I wouldn't post at all?

Now....I see I used the ' in wouldn't. Why was that?.................... Pure muscle memory. Why slow down?????
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

User avatar
JO 753
Has No Life
Posts: 12416
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2005 3:21 pm
Custom Title: rezident owtsidr
Location: BLaNDLaND
Contact:

Re: English multitopic

Postby JO 753 » Sat May 06, 2017 6:52 pm

prhaps i kud inturest yq in sum slakrz nqalf?
Gubmint for us
http://www.7532020.com
not the rich.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Posts: 11148
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:39 am

Re: English multitopic

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sat May 06, 2017 7:41 pm

I got all the way to "nqalf." No obvious phonetic for me.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

User avatar
Nobrot
Poster
Posts: 353
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:59 pm

Re: English multitopic

Postby Nobrot » Sat May 06, 2017 10:01 pm

Do you mean, a phonetic was not evident.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Posts: 11148
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:39 am

Re: English multitopic

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sat May 06, 2017 10:16 pm

No.... because "obviously" a phonetic IS present....because I trust Jo would not post otherwise.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

User avatar
Poodle
Has More Than 8K Posts
Posts: 8245
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:12 pm
Custom Title: Regular sleeper
Location: NE corner of my living room

Re: English multitopic

Postby Poodle » Sat May 06, 2017 10:24 pm

Nqalf - pronounced 'nooalf'.
Keep up at the back!

http://www.nooalf.com/CoRT.htm
Last edited by Poodle on Sat May 06, 2017 10:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
Nobrot
Poster
Posts: 353
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:59 pm

Re: English multitopic

Postby Nobrot » Sat May 06, 2017 10:24 pm

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:I got all the way to "nqalf." No obvious phonetic for me.

Musht be shome mishtake.
No.... because "obviously" a phonetic IS present....because I trust Jo would not post otherwise.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Posts: 11148
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:39 am

Re: English multitopic

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sat May 06, 2017 10:30 pm

Poodle wrote:Nqalf - pronounced 'nooalf'.
Keep up at the back!

http://www.nooalf.com/CoRT.htm

Thats not phonetic at all. Perhaps Jo can confirm this? That nq is pronounced no? Thats gonna cause problems when Jo has his way.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

User avatar
JO 753
Has No Life
Posts: 12416
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2005 3:21 pm
Custom Title: rezident owtsidr
Location: BLaNDLaND
Contact:

Re: English multitopic

Postby JO 753 » Sat May 06, 2017 10:37 pm

slakrz nqalf iz for fast texting.

It will bekum obsolete after my army uv Nazi zombie storm trooperz trash all qwerty keyboardz and replase them with nooalf keyboardz. That will be sumtime after I bekum emperor uv this mizerable backwater planet, wich will be after I bekum King uv America, after disbanding congress, senate and supreme court after I get elected Prezident.

So not any time soon.
Gubmint for us
http://www.7532020.com
not the rich.

User avatar
Poodle
Has More Than 8K Posts
Posts: 8245
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:12 pm
Custom Title: Regular sleeper
Location: NE corner of my living room

Re: English multitopic

Postby Poodle » Sat May 06, 2017 10:43 pm

It is phonetic (see below), bobbo - but JO's symbols are not the normal alphabetical stuff. JO spells his name that way because JO and Jo are not the same sound.

(At least, it's phonetic if you speak as JO does. Here in the centre of the universe, noo does not equate to new - which is pronounced more like nyew. I have mentioned this to JO before, but he set his ggggnomes on me).
Last edited by Poodle on Sat May 06, 2017 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Posts: 11148
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:39 am

Re: English multitopic

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sat May 06, 2017 10:46 pm

So..... is "nq" pronounced "no". What phonetic rule does that follow? Link on that specific issue on your website or is that subject to National Security?

Cross post from Poodle: well......most of Jo's hieroglyphics DO follow english phonics. No way does nq "sound like" no...so if he is changing the symbols as well as the standards..........its just going to cause confusion in the ranks. The revolution....... may fail. Weird when that comes from the top?
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

User avatar
Poodle
Has More Than 8K Posts
Posts: 8245
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:12 pm
Custom Title: Regular sleeper
Location: NE corner of my living room

Re: English multitopic

Postby Poodle » Sat May 06, 2017 10:47 pm

No - it's pronounced noo. Take a look at his CoRT (that's chart).

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Posts: 11148
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:39 am

Re: English multitopic

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sat May 06, 2017 10:51 pm

Poodle wrote:No - it's pronounced noo. Take a look at his CoRT (that's chart).

Thanks Poodle. I'm sure you are totally right.......but my complaint still stands. The whole point of Jo is simplification?==or am I wrong on that????

((Well.......simplification and world domination. Sadly.... the difference too close to call when the mania is high?))
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

User avatar
JO 753
Has No Life
Posts: 12416
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2005 3:21 pm
Custom Title: rezident owtsidr
Location: BLaNDLaND
Contact:

Re: English multitopic

Postby JO 753 » Sat May 06, 2017 10:56 pm

You see, Q iz a totally useless letter, so I uze the key for the OO sound.

Therez sumthing for sumbudy to dig up for this topic - why do we hav 5 different wayz to get the K sound? K C Q CH X
Gubmint for us
http://www.7532020.com
not the rich.

User avatar
Poodle
Has More Than 8K Posts
Posts: 8245
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:12 pm
Custom Title: Regular sleeper
Location: NE corner of my living room

Re: English multitopic

Postby Poodle » Sat May 06, 2017 10:58 pm

History, JO. We've discussed this before. Nqalf strips any language of its history.

User avatar
JO 753
Has No Life
Posts: 12416
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2005 3:21 pm
Custom Title: rezident owtsidr
Location: BLaNDLaND
Contact:

Re: English multitopic

Postby JO 753 » Sun May 07, 2017 4:06 am

Read the nooalf site and see if you can find anything about burning all the old books on the history uv English or any languaje.

_________________-

Weird! I got 5 email notificationz uv replyz here.
Gubmint for us
http://www.7532020.com
not the rich.

User avatar
Poodle
Has More Than 8K Posts
Posts: 8245
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:12 pm
Custom Title: Regular sleeper
Location: NE corner of my living room

Re: English multitopic

Postby Poodle » Sun May 07, 2017 6:55 am

I'm not attacking nooalf, JO, and I've been all over your site - I find it interesting. I'm merely pointing out what, in my opinion, is lacking in ANY artificial spelling system - it's the nature of the beast.

User avatar
TJrandom
Has More Than 7K Posts
Posts: 7649
Joined: Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:55 am
Location: Pacific coast outside of Tokyo bay.
Contact:

Re: English multitopic

Postby TJrandom » Sun May 07, 2017 12:11 pm

JO 753 wrote:
Gord wrote:it's


If a hot chick haz no bra under her T shirt so you can see her tits, then she takes off the T then are they its?

No no no that duznt work. I no therez a joke in there sumwhere. Wherez Aztexan wen you need him?


Which reminds me... when she removes that T shirt, her cleavage goes away - but to where does it go?

User avatar
JO 753
Has No Life
Posts: 12416
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2005 3:21 pm
Custom Title: rezident owtsidr
Location: BLaNDLaND
Contact:

Re: English multitopic

Postby JO 753 » Sun May 07, 2017 1:11 pm

It wuz my understanding that it duznt go away, it just gets wider. NSFW

Poodle wrote:I'm not attacking nooalf, JO, and I've been all over your site - I find it interesting. I'm merely pointing out what, in my opinion, is lacking in ANY artificial spelling system - it's the nature of the beast.


OK. Sorry. I started acting like a little dog nipping at your anklez. I shoud hav just rote that non-alfubetic spelling rulez don't teach any history. It may make sumwun curious enuf to investigate why, but sumwun coud be a great speller (by the traditional standard) and not know diddly squat about the history. Like me till I wuz around 40!
Gubmint for us
http://www.7532020.com
not the rich.

User avatar
Gord
Real Skeptic
Posts: 29477
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:44 am
Custom Title: Silent Ork
Location: Transcona

Re: English multitopic

Postby Gord » Mon May 08, 2017 4:49 am

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:
Gord wrote:
bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:"Hate on it" seems entirely proper to me. Its how language grows, gives it nuance and local flavor.

Why you hating on it?

it's

Yeah....its the same issue. I still prefer the rule of fewest key strokes. If I actually followed it..........I wouldn't post at all?

Now....I see I used the ' in wouldn't. Why was that?.................... Pure muscle memory. Why slow down?????

it's
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic
Posts: 26786
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:31 am

Re: English multitopic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Mon May 08, 2017 5:42 am

Fifty years from now......
Gord 2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
Gord
Real Skeptic
Posts: 29477
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:44 am
Custom Title: Silent Ork
Location: Transcona

Re: English multitopic

Postby Gord » Mon May 08, 2017 7:16 am

I am not a ghost.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

User avatar
Cadmusteeth
Regular Poster
Posts: 978
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:43 pm
Location: Colorado, USA

Re: English multitopic

Postby Cadmusteeth » Mon May 08, 2017 2:40 pm

You do show up when no one expects you to. So you are a ghost in the superficial sense.

User avatar
Gord
Real Skeptic
Posts: 29477
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:44 am
Custom Title: Silent Ork
Location: Transcona

Re: English multitopic

Postby Gord » Mon May 08, 2017 4:01 pm

In the same sense, I'm also the Spanish Inquisition.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Posts: 11148
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:39 am

Re: English multitopic

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Mon May 08, 2017 4:12 pm

Gord wrote:
bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote: Yeah....its the same issue. I still prefer the rule of fewest key strokes. If I actually followed it..........I wouldn't post at all?

Now....I see I used the ' in wouldn't. Why was that?.................... Pure muscle memory. Why slow down?????

it's


One should never strike their high ground that is already occupied by robots.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

User avatar
Gord
Real Skeptic
Posts: 29477
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:44 am
Custom Title: Silent Ork
Location: Transcona

Re: English multitopic

Postby Gord » Mon May 08, 2017 4:22 pm

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:
Gord wrote:
bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote: Yeah....its the same issue. I still prefer the rule of fewest key strokes. If I actually followed it..........I wouldn't post at all?

Now....I see I used the ' in wouldn't. Why was that?.................... Pure muscle memory. Why slow down?????

it's


One should never strike their high ground that is already occupied by robots.

Or, one always should. Or perhaps sometimes one should and sometimes one shouldn't. I'll bet it depends on many variables.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

User avatar
Gord
Real Skeptic
Posts: 29477
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:44 am
Custom Title: Silent Ork
Location: Transcona

Re: English multitopic

Postby Gord » Sat Jun 03, 2017 5:08 pm

Language!

Here's a video from one of the youtubers to whose channels I'm subscribed. NativLang loves to talk about languages. This one is about European languages, and a look at what makes a language "European".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_AJbEoArkU
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

User avatar
Gord
Real Skeptic
Posts: 29477
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:44 am
Custom Title: Silent Ork
Location: Transcona

Re: English multitopic

Postby Gord » Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:15 am

"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

User avatar
Monster
Has More Than 5K Posts
Posts: 5009
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 7:57 pm
Location: Tarrytown, NY, USA
Contact:

Re: English multitopic

Postby Monster » Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:31 pm

One of my observations:

The letter R. I know of at least 3 different ways that that letter is pronounced in the world.

The German uvala R.
The tongue trilled R.
The English R.

The English R is unique, as far as I know. No other language has that sound.

The English R is used in two manners. When it starts a syllable, it seems like it's a consonant. "Rat" for example. That word sounds like 1 syllable. When it follows a vowel sound and it's not starting another syllable, then it seems like it's actually a vowel.

These are good examples: fire, hire. Each of those sound like they have two syllables. And: hire and higher are pronounced the same, yet higher is two syllables and hire is one.
Listening twice as much as you speak is a sign of wisdom.

User avatar
JO 753
Has No Life
Posts: 12416
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2005 3:21 pm
Custom Title: rezident owtsidr
Location: BLaNDLaND
Contact:

Re: English multitopic

Postby JO 753 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:43 pm

You are being desieved by spelling - hire and higher are identical.

If you take the perspectiv that R iz alwayz a vowel, the world makes sens.

Also, i iz the only real 'diphthong' in English. Its actually oE. (see BoM and ET in the chart]) No matter how fast you say it, you can chop it into the 2 soundz with a good sound program even tho we hear it az a single sound.
Gubmint for us
http://www.7532020.com
not the rich.

User avatar
OlegTheBatty
True Skeptic
Posts: 10535
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:35 pm
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Re: English multitopic

Postby OlegTheBatty » Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:53 pm

Monster wrote:One of my observations:

The letter R. I know of at least 3 different ways that that letter is pronounced in the world.

The German uvala R.
The tongue trilled R.
The English R.

The English R is unique, as far as I know. No other language has that sound.

The English R is used in two manners. When it starts a syllable, it seems like it's a consonant. "Rat" for example. That word sounds like 1 syllable. When it follows a vowel sound and it's not starting another syllable, then it seems like it's actually a vowel.

These are good examples: fire, hire. Each of those sound like they have two syllables. And: hire and higher are pronounced the same, yet higher is two syllables and hire is one.


I don't know why r is considered a consonant. Vowels are breathed, consonants involve touching - lips, tongue, teeth, palate, something.
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

User avatar
Poodle
Has More Than 8K Posts
Posts: 8245
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:12 pm
Custom Title: Regular sleeper
Location: NE corner of my living room

Re: English multitopic

Postby Poodle » Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:30 pm

The Old English r was trilled. Most (but by no means all) Middle English scholars say the r was trilled. Trilling makes it a consonant.

User avatar
Gord
Real Skeptic
Posts: 29477
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:44 am
Custom Title: Silent Ork
Location: Transcona

Re: English multitopic

Postby Gord » Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:00 am

JO 753 wrote:You are being desieved by spelling - hire and higher are identical.

Not where I live. Hire has one syllable and higher has two.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

User avatar
JO 753
Has No Life
Posts: 12416
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2005 3:21 pm
Custom Title: rezident owtsidr
Location: BLaNDLaND
Contact:

Re: English multitopic

Postby JO 753 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:20 am

Thats not English, its Transconan
Gubmint for us
http://www.7532020.com
not the rich.

User avatar
Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2064
Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:40 am
Custom Title: cognitively consonant
Location: playing croquet in Wonderland

Re: English multitopic

Postby Nikki Nyx » Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:44 pm

Gord wrote:
JO 753 wrote:You are being desieved by spelling - hire and higher are identical.

Not where I live. Hire has one syllable and higher has two.

Same here. I live in New England, but am unaffected by the Boston, New York, or Maine accents. Plus, my dad is a linguist, so I was constantly corrected if I mispronounced words. :wgrin: I'm sure he grew up with the same modified Southern accent that his siblings who remained in Washington, DC, still have, but he never spoke that way to my recollection.

In the Deep South, they frequently pronounce things oddly, to my ear. Both hire and higher would be pronounced like a stretched-out "har," sort of like a pirate's interjection, but preceded by an H. In other cases, they sometimes add extra syllables so that monosyllabic words become two- or three-syllable words. I've heard give pronounced "gee-yuv," for example.
What are the facts? Again and again and again-what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore divine revelation, forget what “the stars foretell,” avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable “verdict of history”--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your single clue. Get the facts!
—Lazarus Long, from Time Enough for Love, by Robert A. Heinlein

User avatar
Gord
Real Skeptic
Posts: 29477
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:44 am
Custom Title: Silent Ork
Location: Transcona

Re: English multitopic

Postby Gord » Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:13 am

LunaNik wrote:In the Deep South, they frequently pronounce things oddly, to my ear.

Most of the TV I watch comes from the States. I'm hearing a lot of weird words emanating out of my TV these days. Like "ikspeermint". I'm pretty sure that one means "experiment".
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

User avatar
Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2064
Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:40 am
Custom Title: cognitively consonant
Location: playing croquet in Wonderland

Re: English multitopic

Postby Nikki Nyx » Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:51 am

Gord wrote:
LunaNik wrote:In the Deep South, they frequently pronounce things oddly, to my ear.

Most of the TV I watch comes from the States. I'm hearing a lot of weird words emanating out of my TV these days. Like "ikspeermint". I'm pretty sure that one means "experiment".

I live here and I need subtitles for some dialects...lol.

"Ah gut suntin' ee-in mah ah." :blink:
Er...what?
Subtitle: "I got something in my eye." :this:
What are the facts? Again and again and again-what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore divine revelation, forget what “the stars foretell,” avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable “verdict of history”--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your single clue. Get the facts!
—Lazarus Long, from Time Enough for Love, by Robert A. Heinlein

User avatar
Gord
Real Skeptic
Posts: 29477
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:44 am
Custom Title: Silent Ork
Location: Transcona

Re: English multitopic

Postby Gord » Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:15 am

My friend used to work at a service station, and one day a motorcycle pulled in. The rider got off and told my friend, "Knee tar fum go wane."

The guy was from Texas. He needed a tire for his Goldwing.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

User avatar
Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2064
Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:40 am
Custom Title: cognitively consonant
Location: playing croquet in Wonderland

Re: English multitopic

Postby Nikki Nyx » Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:45 am

Gord wrote:My friend used to work at a service station, and one day a motorcycle pulled in. The rider got off and told my friend, "Knee tar fum go wane."

The guy was from Texas. He needed a tire for his Goldwing.

Good grief! I think I would've asked him if he was having a stroke.

A short conversation somewhere in the South...
"Jeet?"
"Naw joo?"
"Naw skoo-eet."

"Did you eat?"
"No, did you?"
"No, let's go eat."

Even the translation makes me cringe, because I would say, "Have you eaten?" But then, I'm the person who texts in proper English. :wgrin:
What are the facts? Again and again and again-what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore divine revelation, forget what “the stars foretell,” avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable “verdict of history”--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your single clue. Get the facts!
—Lazarus Long, from Time Enough for Love, by Robert A. Heinlein


Return to “Education”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest