English multitopic

Methods and means of supporting critical thinking in education
Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster
Custom Title: cognitively consonant

Re: English multitopic

Postby Nikki Nyx » Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:10 pm

JO 753 wrote:There were way rad punks like me back then also, being ignored no matter how much their inventionz woud improve life. I'm not bragging, I'm just stating the facts.
Sadly, corporations today seem uninterested, for the most part, in inventions that would improve life...unless they also see dollar signs.
What are the facts? Again and again and again-what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore divine revelation, forget what “the stars foretell,” avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable “verdict of history”--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your single clue. Get the facts!
—Lazarus Long, from Time Enough for Love, by Robert A. Heinlein

OlegTheBatty
True Skeptic
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Postby OlegTheBatty » Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:35 pm

Poodle wrote:I quite like this one ...
http://www.straightdope.com/columns/rea ... -the-wheel

The wheel was known in many cultures for millennia. What occurred 5500 years ago is the invention of support mechanisms which make the wheel useful. By itself it is basically a toy.

The potter's wheel was likely first, followed by simple carts .
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

JO 753
Has No Life
Custom Title: rezident owtsidr

Postby JO 753 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:03 am

Nikki Nyx wrote:Sadly, corporations today seem uninterested, for the most part, in inventions that would improve life...unless they also see dollar signs.

True, but az the old timerz here no, I wuz tokking about NQaLF and everybody, including them. The real sadness iz that Sement Hed iz an integral part uv human nature, maybe even a part uv our DNA. :(
Gubmint for us
http://www.7532020.com
not the rich.

Monster
Perpetual Poster

Postby Monster » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:55 pm

So far, I've used this thread to mostly complain about things in English. And I'm going to do so again, right now.

"Overrate".

That word means that something is considered to be better than it actually is. It doesn't mean it's bad.

Example:
Me: Godfather 1 and 2 are overrated movies.
Some other person: I don't think they suck at all. I like them.
Me: *Sigh* I didn't say they sucked. I said they're overrated. I like them too.
Listening twice as much as you speak is a sign of wisdom.

Return to “Education”