Learning new languages and spelling

Methods and means of supporting critical thinking in education
Monster
Has More Than 5K Posts

Learning new languages and spelling

Postby Monster » Thu Aug 06, 2015 2:12 pm

While learning words in other languages, I've noticed something interesting.

Normally, when I read new Russian and Ukrainian words, I have to phonetically read them, letter by letter. It takes a long time, and I sound like a child. After a while, I no longer need to phonetically read them. The same thing happens to me in Spanish.

Some examples:

інститут : Ukrainian, pronounced as "institut" which means "institute"
ФОКСТРОТ: Ukrainian store name, pronounced "Fokstrot".
маркет: Russian, pronounced as "market" which means "market"
національний: Ukrainian, pronounced as "natsionalni", meaning "national".
Володимирський : Ukrainian name "Volodimirskiy" which is "Vladimir" in English.
frecuentemente: Spanish word for "frequently"
вулиця: Ukrainian, pronounced as "vulitsya", which means "street".

The longer words are the most important ones in my examples. I can read those words, pronounce them in my head, and know what they mean, not by reading it letter by letter, but rather, all at once. It's the reason why text can be read when the letters are scrambled except for the first and last letters. That last sentence I just wrote is what I discovered on my own. Let me restate it to be clearer:

You can read text where the words are scrambled except for the first and last letters, because you're reading all the letters at the same time, rather than just individual letters. Also, I haven't tested it yet, but I suspect if you use incorrect letters in those scrambled words, the text would be unintelligible.
Listening twice as much as you speak is a sign of wisdom.

scrmbldggs
Has No Life
Custom Title: something

Re: Learning new languages and spelling

Postby scrmbldggs » Thu Aug 06, 2015 2:40 pm

While learning, your eye focuses on the individual letters but once you learned the word(s), it focuses slightly in front of the page and takes in the whole word. Otherwise you'd get stuck and hop from letter to letter/word to word instead of "gliding" over the text.

Lard, save me from your followers.

KittyCathy

Postby KittyCathy » Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:31 am

You can read text where the words are scrambled except for the first and last letters, because you're reading all the letters at the same time, rather than just individual letters. Also, I haven't tested it yet

This is true. In my motherlanguage I can without any problems read the text where the words are scrambled, but I can't read that in English.

Kyle_Connor
Custom Title: KyleConn

Postby Kyle_Connor » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:17 am

Flashcards can be a useful tool for learning new languages. Like it makes memorizing easier, gives audio assistance, play word games, etc. You can try cram as it has some useful features.

Return to “Education”