Selection process in Stanford University

Methods and means of supporting critical thinking in education
oem
Poster

Selection process in Stanford University

Postby oem » Wed Dec 03, 2014 7:32 am

I would like to know on how selection process work in Stanford University
Referring to following link, it based on following issues, but there is no clear defined rules for selections.

[list=]Academic Excellence
Intellectual Vitality
Personal Context[/list]

In considering Academic Excellence, would Stanford University consider how well your college are instead of personal Academic Excellence?

The key issues are whether Stanford University consider your college's ranking or your personal achievement under the selection process.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks in advance for any suggestions

http://admission.stanford.edu/basics/selection/

octopus1
Perpetual Poster
Custom Title: Deep Sea Mollusk

Re: Selection process in Stanford University

Postby octopus1 » Wed Dec 03, 2014 7:58 am

oem wrote:I would like to know on how selection process work in Stanford University
Referring to following link, it based on following issues, but there is no clear defined rules for selections.

[list=]Academic Excellence
Intellectual Vitality
Personal Context[/list]

In considering Academic Excellence, would Stanford University consider how well your college are instead of personal Academic Excellence?

The key issues are whether Stanford University consider your college's ranking or your personal achievement under the selection process.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks in advance for any suggestions

http://admission.stanford.edu/basics/selection/

Hmm... So yes, I think they'd be looking at your previous academic record - A fact of life, I'm afraid. Not the institution that you'd first attended so much - Simply on your own merits, personally.

What are you hoping to read, if I may ask?
"On the fence".... Without a cushion....

oem
Poster

Postby oem » Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:26 am

So they would not look at the ranking of previous colleges, but the issue is that different college has different scoring criteria, therefore, "A grade" student studying in lower ranking college would be selected instead of "B grade" student studying in higher ranking college, even through the level of "B grade" in higher ranking college is better than the level of "A grade" in lower ranking college.

That is the issue on selection process.
Do you have any suggestions on how they sort out this issue?
Thank you very much for any suggestions :>

Poodle
Has More Than 8K Posts
Custom Title: Regular sleeper

Postby Poodle » Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:47 am

If you're a man, selection depends upon whether or not you're good at sports. If you're a woman, it depends upon the size of your breasts. Of course, facility at sports and breast size do have national standards.

I thought this was common knowledge.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:59 pm

oem wrote:I would like to know on how selection process work in Stanford University
Referring to following link, it based on following issues, but there is no clear defined rules for selections./

Because the selection process is specific for each faculty and then, each course. You didn't bother looking a specific faculty requirements.

Try doing some basic research on your own next time, instead of of asking us to look things up for you.

Gord
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Postby Gord » Thu Dec 04, 2014 3:43 am

Poodle wrote:If you're a woman, it depends upon the size of your breasts.

That was unnecessary!

Yeah, that's why it was unnecessary.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

octopus1
Perpetual Poster
Custom Title: Deep Sea Mollusk

Postby octopus1 » Thu Dec 04, 2014 5:43 am

oem wrote:So they would not look at the ranking of previous colleges, but the issue is that different college has different scoring criteria, therefore, "A grade" student studying in lower ranking college would be selected instead of "B grade" student studying in higher ranking college, even through the level of "B grade" in higher ranking college is better than the level of "A grade" in lower ranking college.

That is the issue on selection process.
Do you have any suggestions on how they sort out this issue?
Thank you very much for any suggestions :>

Not really, unless you can provide the name of the course you're hoping to take (Which I did ask in the first instance.)

There are manifest criteria in the selection process, and each depends entirely on the discipline. One of the biggest unspoken factors is "good faith" or "good intent", which is to say, will you actually try...? There are those degrees which can be considered simple - You can get drunk and scrape through. And then, there are those which require almost constant study (Least said on them, the soonest mended!)

So it really does depend on what you're going for. Until you say, I can't give you any advice and nor, I suspect, can anyone else with any fair certainty.
"On the fence".... Without a cushion....

OlegTheBatty
True Skeptic
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Postby OlegTheBatty » Thu Dec 04, 2014 6:12 pm

Poodle wrote:If you're a man, selection depends upon whether or not you're good at sports. If you're a woman, it depends upon the size of your breasts. Of course, facility at sports and breast size do have national standards.

Yes, it's all about the boobs - women have to have them, men have to be them.
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

Return to “Education”