Polyglots

Methods and means of supporting critical thinking in education
User avatar
Austin Harper
Perpetual Poster
Posts: 4854
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:22 pm
Custom Title: Rock Chalk Astrohawk
Location: Detroit
Contact:

Polyglots

Postby Austin Harper » Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:40 pm

Do we have any other polyglots (people who speak multiple languages) on the board? If so, what languages do you speak?

I obviously speak English and I also speak French. I speak a bit of Italian as well, but it's not nearly at the same level. I can also read Latin and write it with some effort but I wouldn't say I could speak it. I've also just started learning Old English which I'm really enjoying.

I'm just interested to hear if anybody else finds languages as fascinating as I do and what draws you to study them.
Dum ratio nos ducet, valebimus et multa bene geremus.

clarsct
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1429
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2005 10:56 pm
Location: The Cultural Desert

Re: Polyglots

Postby clarsct » Sat Sep 13, 2014 3:49 am

I am somewhat the opposite. Whenever I try to speak French, my wife, who does so, puts her hands over her ears and begs me to stop. I couldn't even learn to count to ten in Korean when I was taking Tai Kwon Do. (They encouraged learning about Korean culture, which I was not opposed to, but I had a hell of a time with the language.)

I envy people who can speak many languages. It seems that I have a hard time. I always wanted to learn Latin. I did learn Mathematics, which is kinda like a language.

I guess I don't have the gene, knack or whatever for languages.
When Religion becomes State, and breaking the Law becomes a Sin, then Dissenters will become Heretics.

User avatar
Gord
Real Skeptic
Posts: 29413
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:44 am
Custom Title: Silent Ork
Location: Transcona

Re: Polyglots

Postby Gord » Sat Sep 13, 2014 8:06 am

clarsct wrote:I am somewhat the opposite.

Me too. I don't even speak English.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

User avatar
JO 753
Has No Life
Posts: 12387
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2005 3:21 pm
Custom Title: rezident owtsidr
Location: BLaNDLaND
Contact:

Re: Polyglots

Postby JO 753 » Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:14 am

Bunch uv nonsens! Everybody speaks english & if they dont they aut to!
Gubmint for us
http://www.7532020.com
not the rich.

User avatar
kennyc
Has No Life
Posts: 12193
Joined: Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:21 am
Custom Title: The Dank Side of the Moon
Location: Denver, CO

Re: Polyglots

Postby kennyc » Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:35 am

In addition to English (the only real language :D) I speak binary, Java, Basic, and HTML.

:mrgreen:
Kenny A. Chaffin
Art Gallery - Photo Gallery - Writing&Poetry - The Bleeding Edge
"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama

User avatar
Gord
Real Skeptic
Posts: 29413
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:44 am
Custom Title: Silent Ork
Location: Transcona

Re: Polyglots

Postby Gord » Sun Sep 14, 2014 1:22 pm

JO 753 wrote:Bunch uv nonsens! Everybody speaks english & if they dont they aut to!

Oi ugree! Thay shuud lirn da beetch!
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

User avatar
kennyc
Has No Life
Posts: 12193
Joined: Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:21 am
Custom Title: The Dank Side of the Moon
Location: Denver, CO

Re: Polyglots

Postby kennyc » Sun Sep 14, 2014 1:25 pm

Gord wrote:
JO 753 wrote:Bunch uv nonsens! Everybody speaks english & if they dont they aut to!

Oi ugree! Thay shuud lirn da beetch!


Oh the Irony!

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Kenny A. Chaffin
Art Gallery - Photo Gallery - Writing&Poetry - The Bleeding Edge
"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama

User avatar
scrmbldggs
Has No Life
Posts: 19745
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 7:55 am
Custom Title: something
Location: sees Maria Frigoris from its house!

Re: Polyglots

Postby scrmbldggs » Sun Sep 14, 2014 3:40 pm

kennyc wrote:In addition to English (the only real language :D) I speak binary, Java, Basic, and HTML.

:mrgreen:

Elean Norman Germanic Latin Insular Celtic languages Scandinavian Hen Gymraeg


A sampler. :-P
.

Lard, save me from your followers.

User avatar
fromthehills
Has More Than 9K Posts
Posts: 9890
Joined: Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:01 am
Location: Woostone

Re: Polyglots

Postby fromthehills » Sun Sep 14, 2014 4:05 pm

I was once fluent in a Spanish dialect called Tex-Mex. It was good enough for me to communicate my points in Panama, but they had to speak to me like I was a child for me to understand them.

I've recently started German on Live Mocha, your suggestion, Austin, but work has kept me away from that endeavor. This winter, hopefully. I already knew some words and phrases from when I was a little kid.

I had a Korean friend when I was about 13. I learned some Korean from him. And his mother was deaf, so I also learned some sign. I only remember a few words of each.

I found a book on the Lakota language, while I was in the Army. And I happened to find a guy selling the usual Native trinkets and things that spoke Lakota. I was actually getting pretty good at it when I was transferred. I still remember some things. And now I know a guy that speaks some, and he's said my pronunciation is good, but he doesn't really converse. He's half Lakota, and it seems they kinda get offended when white people keep stealing their {!#%@}, including language, I suppose.

One of my worst blunders was when I joined the Army, they made me take a language cognition test. I out smarted them, and knew they were going to send me to school for a language if I did well, and not let me go shoot stuff. So I blew the test. Life would have been far different if I had tried my best. One can actually become seriously successful by attending that school.

User avatar
kennyc
Has No Life
Posts: 12193
Joined: Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:21 am
Custom Title: The Dank Side of the Moon
Location: Denver, CO

Re: Polyglots

Postby kennyc » Sun Sep 14, 2014 4:18 pm

fromthehills wrote:I was once fluent in a Spanish dialect called Tex-Mex. It was good enough for me to communicate my points in Panama, but they had to speak to me like I was a child for me to understand them.

I've recently started German on Live Mocha, your suggestion, Austin, but work has kept me away from that endeavor. This winter, hopefully. I already knew some words and phrases from when I was a little kid.

I had a Korean friend when I was about 13. I learned some Korean from him. And his mother was deaf, so I also learned some sign. I only remember a few words of each.

I found a book on the Lakota language, while I was in the Army. And I happened to find a guy selling the usual Native trinkets and things that spoke Lakota. I was actually getting pretty good at it when I was transferred. I still remember some things. And now I know a guy that speaks some, and he's said my pronunciation is good, but he doesn't really converse. He's half Lakota, and it seems they kinda get offended when white people keep stealing their {!#%@}, including language, I suppose.

One of my worst blunders was when I joined the Army, they made me take a language cognition test. I out smarted them, and knew they were going to send me to school for a language if I did well, and not let me go shoot stuff. So I blew the test. Life would have been far different if I had tried my best. One can actually become seriously successful by attending that school.


Yep, you could be in the hands of Isil or .....
:shock:
Kenny A. Chaffin
Art Gallery - Photo Gallery - Writing&Poetry - The Bleeding Edge
"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama

User avatar
Monster
Perpetual Poster
Posts: 4998
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 7:57 pm
Location: Tarrytown, NY, USA
Contact:

Re: Polyglots

Postby Monster » Sun Sep 14, 2014 4:44 pm

I speak English natively, Spanish poorly, and I'm learning Russian. I can't actually speak Russian. I'm at the just barely started beginner level.

I know bits and pieces of many languages, but I can't say I speak or read any of them well at all.
Listening twice as much as you speak is a sign of wisdom.

User avatar
kennyc
Has No Life
Posts: 12193
Joined: Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:21 am
Custom Title: The Dank Side of the Moon
Location: Denver, CO

Re: Polyglots

Postby kennyc » Sun Sep 14, 2014 4:48 pm

Monster wrote:I speak English natively, Spanish poorly, and I'm learning Russian. I can't actually speak Russian. I'm at the just barely started beginner level.

I know bits and pieces of many languages, but I can't say I speak or read any of them well at all.


Schlotzky's!

:lol:
Kenny A. Chaffin
Art Gallery - Photo Gallery - Writing&Poetry - The Bleeding Edge
"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama

User avatar
JO 753
Has No Life
Posts: 12387
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2005 3:21 pm
Custom Title: rezident owtsidr
Location: BLaNDLaND
Contact:

Re: Polyglots

Postby JO 753 » Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:22 pm

I searched Youtube for the video uv my statement. I wuz quoting The Devil played by Elizabeth Hurley in Bedazzled. Not there except for the full movie.

WAY back in the 70z I had a breif urje to learn Esperanto. Got a couple uv books and 45 record in the mail, thot it sounded sissy or gay, and lost the urje.
Gubmint for us
http://www.7532020.com
not the rich.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic
Posts: 26755
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:31 am

Re: Polyglots

Postby Matthew Ellard » Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:08 am

Monster wrote:.... and I'm learning Russian.


I'm learning Russian. I had two Russian business partners in my accounting firm. I study at the University of Technology in groups of five. We are mostly on vocabulary at the moment, which means reading gardening, car and financial magazines, while being corrected. I watch the same Russian films and TV series over and over again and repeat sentences aloud. (War and science fiction films are best as the dialogue is minimal)

I tried out my skills in Moscow last year and went to a post office to send a box a books back to Australia. This resulted in half the post office rolling on the floor laughing. I'd go to obscure museums and attach myself to the little old ladies who run the museums. They would wander around with me for hours talking about exhibits in slow understandable Russian. I would tip them a weeks salary and give them Australian chocolate.

No Russians would attempt to speak English to us except when Amanda fell over outside a cafe at Moscow University. About twenty young girls came running out with bowls of water and a chair and immediately fussed over Amanda in fairly good English. I dropped off flowers then next day with a big card written in my version of Russian thanking them from "Kangaroos".

Here's me supporting international pioneers in St Petersburg.
St Peterburg.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
JO 753
Has No Life
Posts: 12387
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2005 3:21 pm
Custom Title: rezident owtsidr
Location: BLaNDLaND
Contact:

Re: Polyglots

Postby JO 753 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:23 am

Firing squad?
Gubmint for us
http://www.7532020.com
not the rich.

User avatar
scrmbldggs
Has No Life
Posts: 19745
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 7:55 am
Custom Title: something
Location: sees Maria Frigoris from its house!

Re: Polyglots

Postby scrmbldggs » Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:39 am

:lol:
.

Lard, save me from your followers.

User avatar
OutOfBreath
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2064
Joined: Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:38 pm
Custom Title: Persistent ponderer
Location: Norway

Re: Polyglots

Postby OutOfBreath » Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:55 pm

My polyglotism isnt that impressive. I speak norwegian natively, which means i generally understand swedes and danes as well, and english quite fluently. I can understand some written german with a gun to my head, but dont ask me to speak it.

Peace
Dan
What is perceived as real becomes real in its consequences.

"Every judgment teeters on the brink of error. To claim absolute knowledge is to become monstrous. Knowledge is an unending adventure at the edge of uncertainty." - Frank Herbert

User avatar
Monster
Perpetual Poster
Posts: 4998
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 7:57 pm
Location: Tarrytown, NY, USA
Contact:

Re: Polyglots

Postby Monster » Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:56 pm

Matthew Ellard wrote:
Monster wrote:.... and I'm learning Russian.


I'm learning Russian. I had two Russian business partners in my accounting firm. I study at the University of Technology in groups of five. We are mostly on vocabulary at the moment, which means reading gardening, car and financial magazines, while being corrected. I watch the same Russian films and TV series over and over again and repeat sentences aloud. (War and science fiction films are best as the dialogue is minimal)

I tried out my skills in Moscow last year and went to a post office to send a box a books back to Australia. This resulted in half the post office rolling on the floor laughing. I'd go to obscure museums and attach myself to the little old ladies who run the museums. They would wander around with me for hours talking about exhibits in slow understandable Russian. I would tip them a weeks salary and give them Australian chocolate.

No Russians would attempt to speak English to us except when Amanda fell over outside a cafe at Moscow University. About twenty young girls came running out with bowls of water and a chair and immediately fussed over Amanda in fairly good English. I dropped off flowers then next day with a big card written in my version of Russian thanking them from "Kangaroos".

You have gone very far above and beyond anything I've done to learn Spanish or Russian.
Listening twice as much as you speak is a sign of wisdom.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic
Posts: 26755
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:31 am

Re: Polyglots

Postby Matthew Ellard » Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:32 pm

Monster wrote: You have gone very far above and beyond anything I've done to learn Spanish or Russian.
It's never through conscious choice. At the accounting firm, we had weekly "WIP & billing meetings" and the two Russians would rave on about a Russian client in Russian. Eventually you pick up enough language to want to go the next step ( also to avoid being sued).

Victor? What does "Nyet rubley Nyet raboty" actually mean in English and why are you two shouting?


User avatar
JO 753
Has No Life
Posts: 12387
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2005 3:21 pm
Custom Title: rezident owtsidr
Location: BLaNDLaND
Contact:

Re: Polyglots

Postby JO 753 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:42 am

Google tranzlate informz me that 'Nyet rubley Nyet raboty' meanz 'Nyet rubley Nyet raboty'. :roll: Duznt seem to work with englishified text.

My ges: no work = no money. Assuming the Russian sentens order iz backwardz.
Gubmint for us
http://www.7532020.com
not the rich.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic
Posts: 26755
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:31 am

Re: Polyglots

Postby Matthew Ellard » Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:21 am

JO 753 wrote:Google tranzlate informz me that 'Nyet rubley Nyet raboty' meanz 'Nyet rubley Nyet raboty'. :roll: Duznt seem to work with englishified text.

My ges: no work = no money. Assuming the Russian sentens order iz backwardz.


You got it. Hеt руб. Неt рабоTы. No roubles. No work. The client wasn't paying their invoices so accounting work was going to stop. I needed to establish a "drip feed payment" scheme with the client rather than just drop them.

User avatar
JO 753
Has No Life
Posts: 12387
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2005 3:21 pm
Custom Title: rezident owtsidr
Location: BLaNDLaND
Contact:

Re: Polyglots

Postby JO 753 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:40 am

Soundz like they are suffering frum the big money sifon problem there also.

But, I didnt get it rite. The sentens order iz the same az you rote it, so I had the meaning backwardz. My frst thot wuz 'no money = no food' so the meaning being that they hav to work harder.
Gubmint for us
http://www.7532020.com
not the rich.

User avatar
Austin Harper
Perpetual Poster
Posts: 4854
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:22 pm
Custom Title: Rock Chalk Astrohawk
Location: Detroit
Contact:

Re: Polyglots

Postby Austin Harper » Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:05 pm

OutOfBreath wrote:My polyglotism isnt that impressive. I speak norwegian natively, which means i generally understand swedes and danes as well, and english quite fluently. I can understand some written german with a gun to my head, but dont ask me to speak it.

I recently learned that there are two written forms of Norwegian, Bokmål and Nynorsk. Which do you use? Can you explain the differences? I get the impression that the differences are pretty small like the American/British spelling changes, or how I've seen Matthew spell "jail" as "gaol". Is that correct? I believe I also read that Bokmål writing is somehow related to written Danish but I don't remember where I saw that. Does that mean Bokmål is used more in the South and Nynorsk in the North?
Dum ratio nos ducet, valebimus et multa bene geremus.

User avatar
Gord
Real Skeptic
Posts: 29413
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:44 am
Custom Title: Silent Ork
Location: Transcona

Re: Polyglots

Postby Gord » Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:32 am

OutOfBreath wrote:I can understand some written german with a gun to my head....

I hear they're rearming for WWIII.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

User avatar
scrmbldggs
Has No Life
Posts: 19745
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 7:55 am
Custom Title: something
Location: sees Maria Frigoris from its house!

Re: Polyglots

Postby scrmbldggs » Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:42 am

Gord wrote:
OutOfBreath wrote:I can understand some written german with a gun to my head....

I hear they're rearming for WWIII.

Nah, I think that's how he got married.
.

Lard, save me from your followers.

User avatar
iwh
Poster
Posts: 252
Joined: Sat Mar 01, 2014 2:32 pm

Re: Polyglots

Postby iwh » Thu Feb 05, 2015 4:19 pm

English is my mother tongue, but I also speak and write French and Spanish.
For a debunking of new boy on the block John Wear see:

https://wearswarts.wordpress.com

User avatar
Poodle
Has More Than 8K Posts
Posts: 8214
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:12 pm
Custom Title: Regular sleeper
Location: NE corner of my living room

Re: Polyglots

Postby Poodle » Thu Feb 05, 2015 5:32 pm

Five months late, I notice this thread, Austin.

Native English, obviously (standard plus good facility in Mackem and Yorkshire), used to be reasonably fluent in Dutch (but that was 40 years ago), schoolboy French improved by a large number of visits. Like you, though, Austin, I'm learning Old English and Medieval Latin for a pet project of mine (with a bit of Norman French thrown in).

User avatar
Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life
Posts: 19764
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:11 am
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Re: Polyglots

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Thu Feb 05, 2015 6:01 pm

Austin Harper wrote:Do we have any other polyglots (people who speak multiple languages) on the board? If so, what languages do you speak?

I lived in Sicily for three years, Puerto Rico for two and Japan for two. I once uttered a sentence that had Italian, Spanish, Japanese, and English in it. The guy I was speaking to said, "What the hell did you just say." My reply was, "I have no idea."
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"

WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

User avatar
scrmbldggs
Has No Life
Posts: 19745
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 7:55 am
Custom Title: something
Location: sees Maria Frigoris from its house!

Re: Polyglots

Postby scrmbldggs » Thu Feb 05, 2015 6:22 pm

Io have Īe concepto?
.

Lard, save me from your followers.

User avatar
OutOfBreath
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2064
Joined: Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:38 pm
Custom Title: Persistent ponderer
Location: Norway

Re: Polyglots

Postby OutOfBreath » Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:14 pm

Austin Harper wrote:
OutOfBreath wrote:My polyglotism isnt that impressive. I speak norwegian natively, which means i generally understand swedes and danes as well, and english quite fluently. I can understand some written german with a gun to my head, but dont ask me to speak it.

I recently learned that there are two written forms of Norwegian, Bokmål and Nynorsk. Which do you use? Can you explain the differences? I get the impression that the differences are pretty small like the American/British spelling changes, or how I've seen Matthew spell "jail" as "gaol". Is that correct? I believe I also read that Bokmål writing is somehow related to written Danish but I don't remember where I saw that. Does that mean Bokmål is used more in the South and Nynorsk in the North?

Heh, just spotted this one when the thread resurfaced. Just 5 months late.
We have two official languages (well 3 with the Sami) and they have been entwined with central/rural politics since we got a parliament after the napoleonic wars. Norway was under Denmark for 500 years, so that the "city-language" was a sort of danish-norwegian. This is the predecessor of modern "bokmål" (literally "book-language"). In the 1800s there was a rise of romanticism and nation building in collecting folk tales and so on. One guy, called Ivar Aasen devised a language based on the dialects of the northern parts of southern Norway. That language, nynorsk, ("new norwegian") is thus much closer to various local dialects than bokmål. There was, and still is, furious debate over which language to use, must everyone learn both and so on. It has been wrapped in political fault lines between centre and peripheri in the country. The centre being Oslo.

The difference can be big, although generally most can read both if they put their mind to it. Which language to use in schools etc is decided on the municipal level around the country. Although both forms are taught to all anyway. And people generally speak in dialects verbally.

As for geography, bokmål is by far most used. Nynorsk is mostly around Trondheim and the western/mountain parts of southern Norway. Northern Norway is curiously bokmålish since that area was generally settled by people from the parts of the south that are more comfortable with that form. I have a friend hailing from Vadsø, basically as far up north you can get, and he sounds like he's raised around Oslo.

Me, I talk closer to nynorsk, but I suck at writing it since I have had bokmål as my main form since I started school. But we pride ourselves on our dialects generally. I always try to work out where people originate from their dialect.

So there. :)

Peace
Dan
What is perceived as real becomes real in its consequences.

"Every judgment teeters on the brink of error. To claim absolute knowledge is to become monstrous. Knowledge is an unending adventure at the edge of uncertainty." - Frank Herbert

User avatar
Poodle
Has More Than 8K Posts
Posts: 8214
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:12 pm
Custom Title: Regular sleeper
Location: NE corner of my living room

Re: Polyglots

Postby Poodle » Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:25 am

Sounds just like English to me ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bKAYH3Sl8s

User avatar
Monster
Perpetual Poster
Posts: 4998
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 7:57 pm
Location: Tarrytown, NY, USA
Contact:

Re: Polyglots

Postby Monster » Fri Feb 06, 2015 2:39 pm

Listening twice as much as you speak is a sign of wisdom.

User avatar
Austin Harper
Perpetual Poster
Posts: 4854
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:22 pm
Custom Title: Rock Chalk Astrohawk
Location: Detroit
Contact:

Re: Polyglots

Postby Austin Harper » Fri Feb 06, 2015 5:44 pm

In my Old English class last night I learned a neat new word: neorxnawang, the OE term used for the Garden of Eden in Ælfric of Eynsham's translation of Genesis from the Latin vulgate into OE. The etymology is debatable but I like James Bright's proposal that neorxena- probably comes from ne- (no) + wyrcan (working). Wang is the OE term for "field".
Dum ratio nos ducet, valebimus et multa bene geremus.

User avatar
ashbash
New Member
Posts: 47
Joined: Sat Jan 31, 2015 1:14 am
Location: Ireland
Contact:

Re: Polyglots

Postby ashbash » Fri Feb 06, 2015 5:44 pm

I speak English, and bad English. Weirdly enough not a lot of Irish people here are fluent at gaeilge, or just "Irish", as we informally call it.

User avatar
Poodle
Has More Than 8K Posts
Posts: 8214
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:12 pm
Custom Title: Regular sleeper
Location: NE corner of my living room

Re: Polyglots

Postby Poodle » Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:46 pm

Austin Harper wrote: Wang is the OE term for "field".


Also found as 'wong', Austin - a version which survived into the 14th century.


Return to “Education”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest