It's worse than I feared... 1 in 4 don't know Earth orbits..

Methods and means of supporting critical thinking in education
kennyc
Has No Life
Custom Title: The Dank Side of the Moon

It's worse than I feared... 1 in 4 don't know Earth orbits..

Postby kennyc » Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:50 am

1 in 4 Americans Don't Know Earth Orbits the Sun. Yes, Really.
FEB 14, 2014 03:20 PM ET // BY IAN O'NEILL

Dear Science Communication Professionals: We have a problem.

Earlier this month, the Bill Nye vs. Ken Ham creationism “debate” received a disproportionate amount of press coverage. Considering that there really is no debate to be had when it comes to the science of evolution, for bad or for worse, Nye faced a hostile audience at the Creationist Museum in Kentucky. He hoped to score some scientific points against Ham’s literal translation of the Bible and his absurd assertion that the world was created in 6 days and that the universe is 6,000 years old.

In my opinion, (an opinion shared by other science communicators), the Nye vs. Ham debate did little for science outreach. It was all about who sounded more convincing and only gave creationists some free advertising.

And then, today, the National Science Foundation (NSF) delivered news of a pretty shocking poll result: around one in four Americans (yes, that's 25 percent) are unaware that the Earth orbits the sun. Let’s repeat that: One in four Americans — that represents one quarter of the population — when asked probably the most basic question in science (except, perhaps, “Is the Earth flat?” Hint: No.), got the answer incorrect. Suddenly I realized why the Nye vs. Ham debate was so popular.

But wait! I hear you cry, perhaps the NSF poll was flawed? Perhaps the poll sample was too small? Sadly not. The NSF poll, which is used to gauge U.S. scientific literacy every year, surveyed 2,200 people who were asked 10 questions about physical and biological sciences. On average, the score was 6.5 out of 10 -- barely a passing grade. But for me personally, the fact that 26 percent of the respondents were unaware the Earth revolves around the sun shocked me to the core.

Perhaps I’m expecting too much of the U.S. education system? Perhaps this is just an anomaly; a statistical blip? But then, like the endless deluge of snow that is currently choking the East Coast, another outcome of the same poll appeared on the foggy horizon of scientific illiteracy: The majority of young Americans think astrology is a science.

http://news.discovery.com/space/astrono ... 140214.htm
Kenny A. Chaffin
Art Gallery - Photo Gallery - Writing&Poetry - The Bleeding Edge
"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama

Kaepora Gaebora
Regular Poster

Re: It's worse than I feared... 1 in 4 don't know Earth orbi

Postby Kaepora Gaebora » Sat Feb 15, 2014 2:21 pm

:(

fromthehills
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby fromthehills » Sat Feb 15, 2014 3:01 pm

That's why I carry guns.

Kaepora Gaebora
Regular Poster

Postby Kaepora Gaebora » Sat Feb 15, 2014 4:33 pm

fromthehills wrote:That's why I carry guns.

To fire it up into the atmosphere and demonstrate how gravity acts on an object?

SweetPea
Has No Life
Custom Title: Too Cute

Postby SweetPea » Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:51 pm

That's hard to believe. Do you have the exact question asked? It's easier to believe that many wouldn't understand what "orbits the sun" means.
In the article the wording is "Earth revolves around the sun".

I have difficulty believing this is true, as well:
Even in China, one of the birthplaces of astrology, 92 percent of the people know that astrology is bunk
How do the Deniers get so lucky?
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=24129

octopus1
Perpetual Poster
Custom Title: Deep Sea Mollusk

Postby octopus1 » Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:04 pm

kennyc wrote:
1 in 4 Americans Don't Know Earth Orbits the Sun. Yes, Really.
FEB 14, 2014 03:20 PM ET // BY IAN O'NEILL

Dear Science Communication Professionals: We have a problem.

Earlier this month, the Bill Nye vs. Ken Ham creationism “debate” received a disproportionate amount of press coverage. Considering that there really is no debate to be had when it comes to the science of evolution, for bad or for worse, Nye faced a hostile audience at the Creationist Museum in Kentucky. He hoped to score some scientific points against Ham’s literal translation of the Bible and his absurd assertion that the world was created in 6 days and that the universe is 6,000 years old.

In my opinion, (an opinion shared by other science communicators), the Nye vs. Ham debate did little for science outreach. It was all about who sounded more convincing and only gave creationists some free advertising.

And then, today, the National Science Foundation (NSF) delivered news of a pretty shocking poll result: around one in four Americans (yes, that's 25 percent) are unaware that the Earth orbits the sun. Let’s repeat that: One in four Americans — that represents one quarter of the population — when asked probably the most basic question in science (except, perhaps, “Is the Earth flat?” Hint: No.), got the answer incorrect. Suddenly I realized why the Nye vs. Ham debate was so popular.

But wait! I hear you cry, perhaps the NSF poll was flawed? Perhaps the poll sample was too small? Sadly not. The NSF poll, which is used to gauge U.S. scientific literacy every year, surveyed 2,200 people who were asked 10 questions about physical and biological sciences. On average, the score was 6.5 out of 10 -- barely a passing grade. But for me personally, the fact that 26 percent of the respondents were unaware the Earth revolves around the sun shocked me to the core.

Perhaps I’m expecting too much of the U.S. education system? Perhaps this is just an anomaly; a statistical blip? But then, like the endless deluge of snow that is currently choking the East Coast, another outcome of the same poll appeared on the foggy horizon of scientific illiteracy: The majority of young Americans think astrology is a science.

http://news.discovery.com/space/astrono ... 140214.htm

:lol:

That can't possibly be true?! Surely they just surveyed the smallest group of the wrong kind of people! :P

[EDIT:
But wait! I hear you cry, perhaps the NSF poll was flawed? Perhaps the poll sample was too small? Sadly not.
. Ah. My bad...]
"On the fence".... Without a cushion....

SweetPea
Has No Life

Postby SweetPea » Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:21 pm

United States (2012) 74
EU (2005) 66
India (2004) 70
Malaysia (2008) 72
South Korea (2004) 86

"does the earth go around the sun"
"does the sun go around the earth"
http://doubtfulnews.com/2014/02/do-one- ... around-sun

scrmbldggs
Has No Life
Custom Title: something

Postby scrmbldggs » Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:25 pm

Lard, save me from your followers.

SweetPea
Has No Life

Postby SweetPea » Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:10 pm

{!#%@} amazing. How many kids does Gawdzilla actually have?

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Sun Feb 16, 2014 3:12 am

octopus1 wrote:That can't possibly be true? Surely they just surveyed the smallest group of the wrong kind of people!

I have to go with the facts, but it doesn't seem right. There are simply too many "pleb" TV shows that mention the earth orbiting the sun. Oh well.

octopus1
Perpetual Poster

Postby octopus1 » Sun Feb 16, 2014 3:24 am

Matthew Ellard wrote:
octopus1 wrote:That can't possibly be true? Surely they just surveyed the smallest group of the wrong kind of people!

I have to go with the facts, but it doesn't seem right. There are simply too many "pleb" TV shows that mention the earth orbiting the sun. Oh well.

:lol:

At least those aren't the TV shows which say, straight faced, that the Earth "goes around" the Sun. Complete with perfectly circular path diagrams and a cartoon duck to lighten things up... :P

"Hey kids! Think of the Earth as one humongous gigantic magnet! Huh-Wooaah!"
"Oh {!#%@}, where did you get this guy from?"
"We found him sniffing paint outside an Oak furniture outlet. He was within our budget."

Gord
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Postby Gord » Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:32 am

Yeah, but 15% of Americans get the answer wrong even when they know the right answer. That's how Bush won Florida, remember?
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

digress
Frequent Poster
Custom Title: doomer

Postby digress » Fri May 23, 2014 9:43 pm

I'd be more "fearful" to find 1 in 4 Americans didn't know the 4th amendment. I wonder if these polls are innocently deceiving the priority of attention from an actual dire situation.
  God is an idea.  

"For now, I am going to err on the side of freedom of speech..." -Pyrrho
"Every instance that has always existed is a piece of evidence that God is not needed." -yrreg
"I am not a concept..." -Confidencia

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Fri May 23, 2014 10:40 pm

digress wrote:I'd be more "fearful" to find 1 in 4 Americans didn't know the 4th amendment.

Is that the one that says Mexicans are American citizens if they're born in the US?
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
#ANDAMOVIE

OlegTheBatty
True Skeptic
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Postby OlegTheBatty » Fri May 23, 2014 11:00 pm

Gord wrote:
digress wrote:I'd be more "fearful" to find 1 in 4 Americans didn't know the 4th amendment.

Is that the one that says Mexicans are American citizens if they're born in the US?

No, it's the one that says that if a cop winks at his dog, you have illegal drugs.
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

digress
Frequent Poster
Custom Title: doomer

Postby digress » Fri May 23, 2014 11:01 pm

Gord wrote:

That depends on whether or not a persons nationality can be determined before they are born. If so, I'd ask how many sons revolve around Mexico?
  God is an idea.  

"For now, I am going to err on the side of freedom of speech..." -Pyrrho
"Every instance that has always existed is a piece of evidence that God is not needed." -yrreg
"I am not a concept..." -Confidencia

nmblum88
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby nmblum88 » Sat May 24, 2014 3:16 am

Only one in four!
Surprising.
The number who don't know what it means, and (much more important) why it matters, is probably much higher.
Ignorance does abound.

I, for instance, am still surprised and even shocked at the number of people here among our opinions makers of a high order (if in a small arena) who don't know why Philosophy, as a discipline among the others that are based to real education, is important.
Or indeed what Philosophy IS, at all.
And more, not knowing what it IS, still think themselves able to comment on uselessness, and worse.
Considering that the reason we are so ill informed is that we don't have a valid, operative Philosophy about what real education means and how to communicate it (rather than easily forgettable factoids) to the general population.
A problem that is not new, but a long standing one of caste and class.
Because for must of us…. there are exceptions of course, among those deprived of the privilege… our real education, for good or ill, starts in the home.
The home, and parents, being responsible for not only encouraging curiosity and joy in learning for learning's sake but for making up for the blank spaces in mass education, with its all to often emphasis on teaching disembodied factoids to children who are not lucky enough to have a parental bulwark against conventional educational authority..

NMB
Skepticism:
" Norma, you poor sad lonely alcoholic. You entire life is devoted to interrupting other people's posts on this forum, regardless of the topic, to tell them what's wrong with them. The irony is, here you are doing it again, with this very post.
Your fanciful card games, movie sojourns and exciting overseas trips, that all take place within the four walls of an aged care retirement home, do not suggest your own children offered you the care, I gave my parents."

scowl

Postby scowl » Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:23 pm

One poll that has shocked me year after year is the Gallup poll that shows that a large minority of Americans believe the Earth is less than 10,000 years old:

http://www.gallup.com/poll/170822/believe-creationist-view-human-origins.aspx

Over the past decades the percentage has gone up and down a few percentage points but otherwise remains level. This year it's dropped slightly to 42% but history suggests that it will rebound.

You might wonder how people who believe in a young Earth do in college. I have no statistics on that but I will never forget students in the very first day of Geology 101 being confused by the professor talking in terms of millions of years. They had graduated from high school without ever learning about the accepted origin of the solar system. This was in the early 80's and I'd like to believe things have improved but the Gallup poll tells me otherwise.

This is why 25% of people unaware that the Earth orbits the Sun doesn't surprise me.

Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:55 pm

A lot of my cousins are home schooled. It seems they can get into college these days, but only if it has "Baptist" in the name.
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"

WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

Shaka
Account Locked

Postby Shaka » Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:50 pm

Wow! Now that's one for the book. Like it really matters knowing whether the earth orbits the sun or the sun orbits the earth. Either way it is ignorance, because first one must ask oneself (not the others - unless of course you are ignorant of your own ignorance, then you are bound to ask the others) how they got there in the first place.
"He who is born in time thinks according to his time.
Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Sun Sep 28, 2014 11:24 pm

Shaka wrote:Wow! Now that's one for the book. Like it really matters knowing whether the earth orbits the sun or the sun orbits the earth.

Got it: Facing reality doesn't matter.

Either way it is ignorance, because first one must ask oneself (not the others - unless of course you are ignorant of your own ignorance, then you are bound to ask the others) how they got there in the first place.

Right, because knowing one thing means you're more ignorant than if you know zero things. Because, y'know...maths.
#ANDAMOVIE

octopus1
Perpetual Poster

Postby octopus1 » Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:11 am

Shaka wrote:Wow! Now that's one for the book. Like it really matters knowing whether the earth orbits the sun or the sun orbits the earth. Either way it is ignorance, because first one must ask oneself (not the others - unless of course you are ignorant of your own ignorance, then you are bound to ask the others) how they got there in the first place.

Was there a mathematical and linguistic double negative in there? Because you'd better believe that's a paddlin'...

OlegTheBatty
True Skeptic

Postby OlegTheBatty » Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:31 pm

Shaka and his sockpuppets would do a lot better it they applied their ignorance of their ignorance to their ignorance instead of assuming it is their knowledge base.

Hmmm . . . Is Shaka and the Sockpuppets an R&B group?  
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:42 pm

OlegTheBatty wrote:Shaka and his sockpuppets would do a lot better it they applied their ignorance of their ignorance to their ignorance instead of assuming it is their knowledge base.

'60s retro.

Shaka
Account Locked

Postby Shaka » Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:20 am

octopus1 wrote:
Shaka wrote:Wow! Now that's one for the book. Like it really matters knowing whether the earth orbits the sun or the sun orbits the earth. Either way it is ignorance, because first one must ask oneself (not the others - unless of course you are ignorant of your own ignorance, then you are bound to ask the others) how they got there in the first place.

Was there a mathematical and linguistic double negative in there? Because you'd better believe that's a paddlin'...

Maybe you should get a cushion for your fence, then you can sit and think about it. Don't think too hard though, you might fall off and if there's no paddin you will hurt yourself.
Last edited by Shaka on Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Shaka
Account Locked

Postby Shaka » Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:26 am

OlegTheBatty wrote:Shaka and his sockpuppets would do a lot better it they applied their ignorance of their ignorance to their ignorance instead of assuming it is their knowledge base.

Verbal acrobatics do not help, especially when there is no netting to catch the fall.

Shaka
Account Locked

Postby Shaka » Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:36 am

Gord wrote:
Shaka wrote:Wow! Now that's one for the book. Like it really matters knowing whether the earth orbits the sun or the sun orbits the earth.

Either way it is ignorance, because first one must ask oneself (not the others - unless of course you are ignorant of your own ignorance, then you are bound to ask the others) how they got there in the first place.

Right, because knowing one thing means you're more ignorant than if you know zero things. Because, y'know...maths.

You have misunderstood Gord, claiming to know anything is ignorance of your ignorance, knowing that you know nothing is knowledge pertaining to ignorance.

Furthermore you do not know the reality, only your private little dream world.

JO 753
Has No Life
Custom Title: rezident owtsidr

Postby JO 753 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:35 am

fromthehills wrote:That's why I carry guns.

Dude! Thats tied for 1st az a the best argument you uzed in the 2nd amendment topic.
Gubmint for us
http://www.7532020.com
not the rich.

octopus1
Perpetual Poster

Postby octopus1 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:04 am

Shaka wrote:
octopus1 wrote:

Maybe you should get a cushion for your fence, then you can sit and think about it. Don't think too hard though, you might fall off and if there's no paddin you will hurt yourself.

It matters because, if there hadn't been an effort to solve that old dilemma (And when I say old...), there would be a great many more people making utterly nonsensical comments like yours.

Either way it is ignorance, because first one must ask oneself how they got there in the first place.

One did when one was about 8. SPOILER ALERT: Turns out it was "accretion" whodunnit...

Now I'm going to hand you a bucket, a bag, a sponge, and some gloves. And when I get back - I want to find that steaming pile of horseshite that you've left on my doorstep, gone.

JO 753
Has No Life
Custom Title: rezident owtsidr

Postby JO 753 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:10 am

Dont be angry or sad. Wut we are lucky enuf to be witnessing here 1st hand iz the branching uv the human race into Morlock and Eloi. :D
Gubmint for us
http://www.7532020.com
not the rich.

octopus1
Perpetual Poster

Postby octopus1 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:21 am

JO 753 wrote:Dont be angry or sad. Wut we are lucky enuf to be witnessing here 1st hand iz the branching uv the human race into Morlock and Eloi. :D

Or possibly a troll who's managed to "get me good" :lol:

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:22 am

Shaka wrote:
Gord wrote:

You have misunderstood Gord....

Then I guess you're a bad communicator.

Furthermore you do not know the reality, only your private little dream world.

My private little dream world represents reality.
#ANDAMOVIE

octopus1
Perpetual Poster

Postby octopus1 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:26 am

You have misunderstood Gord....

Yes, Shaka, I do believe that you have...

kennyc
Has No Life
Custom Title: The Dank Side of the Moon

Postby kennyc » Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:43 am

octopus1 wrote:
JO 753 wrote:Dont be angry or sad. Wut we are lucky enuf to be witnessing here 1st hand iz the branching uv the human race into Morlock and Eloi. :D

Yep, better guard those remaining 7 tentacles good!
Kenny A. Chaffin
Art Gallery - Photo Gallery - Writing&Poetry - The Bleeding Edge
"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama

octopus1
Perpetual Poster

Postby octopus1 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:53 am

kennyc wrote:
octopus1 wrote:

I should change my name to Heptapus.

Austin Harper
Perpetual Poster
Custom Title: Rock Chalk Astrohawk

Postby Austin Harper » Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:19 pm

octopus1 wrote:
kennyc wrote:
octopus1 wrote:

There is a ride at Worlds of Fun in Kansas City called the Octopus but it only has six arms.
I like to call it the Hexapus.
Dum ratio nos ducet, valebimus et multa bene geremus.

octopus1
Perpetual Poster

Postby octopus1 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:33 pm

Austin Harper wrote:
octopus1 wrote:
kennyc wrote:
octopus1 wrote:

There is a ride at Worlds of Fun in Kansas City called the Octopus but it only has six arms.
I like to call it the Hexapus.

When it breaks, will it be called the Pentapus?

OlegTheBatty
True Skeptic

Postby OlegTheBatty » Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:58 pm

:befuddled: So, uh, how many arms is a platypus supposed to have?

Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:50 pm

OlegTheBatty wrote::befuddled: So, uh, how many arms is a platypus supposed to have?

A whole plat full.

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:05 am

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:
OlegTheBatty wrote::befuddled: So, uh, how many arms is a platypus supposed to have?

A whole plat full.

I thought it had planty.
#ANDAMOVIE

Return to “Education”