Common Core

Methods and means of supporting critical thinking in education
moth1ne
Frequent Poster
Custom Title: theyscanhearsmythots

Common Core

Postby moth1ne » Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:38 pm

I recently watched this video which is a lecture from Ken Robinson on education reform. He seems to advocate for a dramatic reformation of the U.S. public school system. He feels the current system promotes conformity and hinders creativity. He states that over-standardized testing has only increased the drop-out rate and creates barriers between teachers and students. I began researching education reform on the interwebz and came across Common Core State Standards. What do you think? Does common core curriculum contradict what Ken Robinson considers actual education reform? In my opinion, common core seems to be a hinderance and only advocates for further conformity in education. It appears to standardize where children are supposed to be in terms of education and when they are supposed to be there.
"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence." -Carl Sagan, The Demon Haunted World

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Re: Common Core

Postby Matthew Ellard » Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:21 pm

It does seem to make sense to homogenise educational standards across the USA. It would allow workers to become more mobile and able to move across the USA to developing economic areas. It will reduce short term worker shortages in specific industry sectors.

However, I understand that individual states in the USA see themselves as independent with their own "educational flavours". That's an issue for Americans to assess. I don't have an opinion.

We don't get this in Australia. We have adopted a National Australian Curriculum from "kindergarten" to "Year 12" ("Year 12" is the final year before university). An Aussie employer would generally not care if a job applicant's High School Certificate came from Tassie, New South Wales, Victoria or even Queensland, as the marks are standardised.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian ... Curriculum

moth1ne
Frequent Poster

Postby moth1ne » Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:03 pm

Matthew Ellard wrote:It does seem to make sense to homogenise educational standards across the USA. It would allow workers to become more mobile and able to move across the USA to developing economic areas. It will reduce short term worker shortages in specific industry sectors.

However, I understand that individual states in the USA see themselves as independent with their own "educational flavours". That's an issue for Americans to assess. I don't have an opinion.

We don't get this in Australia. We have adopted a National Australian Curriculum from "kindergarten" to "Year 12" ("Year 12" is the final year before university). An Aussie employer would generally not care if a job applicant's High School Certificate came from Tassie, New South Wales, Victoria or even Queensland, as the marks are standardised.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian ... Curriculum

So standardization seems to work in Australia? I definitely see benefits to standarized testing and the like but I do see a problem in putting too much importance on standardized testing and the results that come from them. We have a problem in the States of teachers that are somewhat forced into preparing their students for these tests without being able to actually teach their students how to learn for themselves. Don't get me wrong, I still think there needs to be grades, curriculum, and certain expectations for students in order to go on to the next grade, but I feel there is too much emphasis on state and national test scores and it doesn't really solve the crisis of drop-outs in the U.S.
"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence." -Carl Sagan, The Demon Haunted World

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:24 am

moth1ne wrote: So standardization seems to work in Australia?
Australia is tiny. There are only 21 million of us. Our regional dialects have almost gone.

moth1ne wrote: but I feel there is too much emphasis on state and national test scores and it doesn't really solve the crisis of drop-outs in the U.S.
I guess there is no single correct answer. I could "swap sides" and argue that having different state "educational flavours" introduces a wider range of skills, of which one skill may, in the future, be extremely useful. A bit like mutations in evolution.

kennyc
Has No Life
Custom Title: The Dank Side of the Moon

Postby kennyc » Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:42 am

I think there has been too much emphasis on standardized testing and the curriculum has become teaching to the tests just to pass and get high marks for students and schools. In the process the method has become a wrote memorization of facts, methods and ways to get the right answer. The fallout is that students are not being taught to think for themselves, to figure out how to learn, how to solve problems they have never seen. All the creativity and self-reliance has been drained out of the system with only a few highly/otherwise motivated students that actually learn to learn. The others are just passing through being spoon-fed.

IMO

I think we have major problems with our public education system, not the least being all the charter schools and vouchers instead of focusing on improving the public education system, schools, teachers.

I think there should be a 10% tax on all sports and entertainment that goes directly into public education -- primarily into paying teachers better and making public school teaching a desired and lucrative job.
Kenny A. Chaffin
Art Gallery - Photo Gallery - Writing&Poetry - The Bleeding Edge
"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama

moth1ne
Frequent Poster

Postby moth1ne » Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:42 am

kennyc wrote:I think there has been too much emphasis on standardized testing and the curriculum has become teaching to the tests just to pass and get high marks for students and schools. In the process the method has become a wrote memorization of facts, methods and ways to get the right answer. The fallout is that students are not being taught to think for themselves, to figure out how to learn, how to solve problems they have never seen. All the creativity and self-reliance has been drained out of the system with only a few highly/otherwise motivated students that actually learn to learn. The others are just passing through being spoon-fed.

IMO

I think we have major problems with our public education system, not the least being all the charter schools and vouchers instead of focusing on improving the public education system, schools, teachers.

I think there should be a 10% tax on all sports and entertainment that goes directly into public education -- primarily into paying teachers better and making public school teaching a desired and lucrative job.

I like the tax on entertainment. Another gripe I have. Education is on the back burner in the U.S. Math, Science, and The Arts are boring subjects and I believe the entertainment industry is to blame. The entertainment industry does not even attempt to educate as well as entertain the masses. I actually wrote an email to viewer relations of the Discovery Network voicing my concern for the lack of educational programming found on their schedule. It's sickening.

Gord
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Postby Gord » Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:58 am

moth1ne wrote:Math, Science, and The Arts are boring subjects--

What?!?

The Arts, sure, but Math and Science BORING?!? :shock:
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

Poodle
Has More Than 8K Posts
Custom Title: Regular sleeper

Postby Poodle » Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:26 am

We've had the National Curriculum in the UK since 1988. Since its introduction, educational standards have fallen and, probably worse, teaching standards have fallen. Education has become a totally prescriptive affair with no place for reactive correction. There is no longer an emphasis upon literacy and numeracy, their places being taken by "the development of the whole person" and "making an environment in which learning may take place at the child's pace" (Ho ho!).

The lunatics have taken over the asylum. Facility in reading is no longer considered a general aim. Math is a little game we play - it doesn't actually mean anything. Awareness of the world is regarded as arty-farty. Woo is markedly on the rise, as the kids have no standards by which to judge claims. New teachers were educated under this system, so they have no standards either.

It's a big {!#%@} mess. Don't go there.

fromthehills
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby fromthehills » Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:42 am

The boy has been watching a fairly good show on Evolution. Until the end, where it gave the Christian argument. One Christian argued, " Were you there? How do you know that we had a common ancestor?" Or some such. The boy said," How do you know there's a heaven or hell? Were you there?" He's been taught how to think critically. he's behind, a little, for standardized testing on math and spelling, but he understands the scientific method. And he is fighting through Dyslexia to write science fiction stories. He's struggled, but is turning out to be a good kid to be proud of.

fromthehills
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby fromthehills » Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:46 am

Poodle wrote:We've had the National Curriculum in the UK since 1988. Since its introduction, educational standards have fallen and, probably worse, teaching standards have fallen. Education has become a totally prescriptive affair with no place for reactive correction. There is no longer an emphasis upon literacy and numeracy, their places being taken by "the development of the whole person" and "making an environment in which learning may take place at the child's pace" (Ho ho!).

The lunatics have taken over the asylum. Facility in reading is no longer considered a general aim. Math is a little game we play - it doesn't actually mean anything. Awareness of the world is regarded as arty-farty. Woo is markedly on the rise, as the kids have no standards by which to judge claims. New teachers were educated under this system, so they have no standards either.

We are having that issue, here, too. Locally anyway. It's a post modern approach, where opinions are the same as facts, it seems. Hence our decision to homeschool.

kennyc
Has No Life

Postby kennyc » Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:53 am

Poodle wrote:We've had the National Curriculum in the UK since 1988. Since its introduction, educational standards have fallen and, probably worse, teaching standards have fallen. Education has become a totally prescriptive affair with no place for reactive correction. There is no longer an emphasis upon literacy and numeracy, their places being taken by "the development of the whole person" and "making an environment in which learning may take place at the child's pace" (Ho ho!).

:shock: :shock: :shock:

I was hoping you were better over there than over here.....doesn't sound like it...

China wins again.
Kenny A. Chaffin

fromthehills
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby fromthehills » Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:00 am

kennyc wrote:
China wins again.

China is also having their education problems. They're producing assembly line workers, and not innovators.

Poodle
Has More Than 8K Posts
Custom Title: Regular sleeper

Postby Poodle » Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:22 am

An example - a 16-year old who got through (successfully) a course in cake design (I kid you not). His project entry was a circle cut out from a bit of cardboard with other bits of cardboard, in various colours, stuck onto it. Got that? (No, that isn't a typo - he was 16, not 8).

When asked what kind of cake it represented, he said "just a cake". When asked what material the coloured shapes would be made from in reality, he had no idea. When asked if he could actually make a cake, he said no. So they gave him a pass.

This from the country with some of the oldest universities in the world. I despair!

kennyc
Has No Life

Postby kennyc » Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:36 am

Kenny A. Chaffin

fromthehills
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby fromthehills » Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:49 am

Poodle wrote:An example - a 16-year old who got through (successfully) a course in cake design (I kid you not). His project entry was a circle cut out from a bit of cardboard with other bits of cardboard, in various colours, stuck onto it. Got that? (No, that isn't a typo - he was 16, not 8).

When asked what kind of cake it represented, he said "just a cake". When asked what material the coloured shapes would be made from in reality, he had no idea. When asked if he could actually make a cake, he said no. So they gave him a pass.

This from the country with some of the oldest universities in the world. I despair!

We have a 16yo, locally, that was mocked by his teacher for telling her E=MC2 was not a metaphor for "Life Energy" as she claimed. He even tried to explain it to her, and she was willfully ignorant.

kennyc
Has No Life

Postby kennyc » Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:57 am

fromthehills wrote:
Poodle wrote:An example - a 16-year old who got through (successfully) a course in cake design (I kid you not). His project entry was a circle cut out from a bit of cardboard with other bits of cardboard, in various colours, stuck onto it. Got that? (No, that isn't a typo - he was 16, not 8).

We have a 16yo, locally, that was mocked by his teacher for telling her E=MC2 was not a metaphor for "Life Energy" as she claimed. He even tried to explain it to her, and she was willfully ignorant.

That's horrible! That teacher should be fired. Was this a public school?
Kenny A. Chaffin

fromthehills
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby fromthehills » Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:01 pm

It's a charter school, but yes, it receives public funding. I live in a wooist community, so nothing gets done about it.

I told a friend that they could be sued for teaching and promoting religion, even if it isn't christianity, as he, well, he doesn't know much better, but he has a kid in the school. He was concerned over all the trips to all the local religious centers, aka cults, to participate in their activities.

kennyc
Has No Life

Postby kennyc » Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:26 pm

Kenny A. Chaffin

OlegTheBatty
True Skeptic
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Postby OlegTheBatty » Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:32 pm

kennyc wrote:Image

What's yer beef, man. It works for North Korea!
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

kennyc
Has No Life

Postby kennyc » Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:02 pm

OlegTheBatty wrote:
kennyc wrote:Image

What's yer beef, man. It works for North Korea!

And China apparently according to a previous poster.
Kenny A. Chaffin

moth1ne
Frequent Poster

Postby moth1ne » Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:38 pm

Gord wrote:
moth1ne wrote:Math, Science, and The Arts are boring subjects--

What?!?

The Arts, sure, but Math and Science BORING?!? :shock:
I should have clarified... These subjects are perceived BORING by a large majority of people in the U.S. I don't consider them boring... And I actually like the arts more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

moth1ne
Frequent Poster

Postby moth1ne » Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:40 pm

And I think television is largely to blame for the negative stigma that educational programming has.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

TJrandom
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:46 pm

“5 + 9” is okay but “9 + 5” is wrong?

Japan too has its minor quirks in the teaching of mathematics, which to many do not make sense. Maybe this is just constipated thinking on the part of educators.

http://en.rocketnews24.com/2015/11/25/5 ... rly-picky/

Return to “Education”