English multitopic

Methods and means of supporting critical thinking in education
User avatar
Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Posts: 30520
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:44 am
Custom Title: Silent Ork
Location: Transcona

Re: English multitopic

Postby Gord » Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:33 am

I still talk about "the web", but I usually do so by talking about the interwebs.

Of course, "surf the web" was always a mixed metaphor. You don't surf a web, you spin it or you walk on it or you get trapped in it.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

User avatar
Poodle
Has More Than 9K Posts
Posts: 9005
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:12 pm
Custom Title: Regular sleeper
Location: NE corner of my living room

Re: English multitopic

Postby Poodle » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:02 am

I remember the advent of the 'silver surfer'. Just sayin'.

User avatar
Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Posts: 30520
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:44 am
Custom Title: Silent Ork
Location: Transcona

Re: English multitopic

Postby Gord » Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:45 pm

Pleaded vs. "pled". There is no "pled". "Pled" is not a word. I refuse to accept it.

http://grammarist.com/usage/pleaded-pled/

Pled has always been considered incorrect by people who make such judgments, but it is so common that we have to accept it as an alternative form.

No we must NOT accept it. Once you start accepting the incorrect, you make the incorrect correct. This must not be allowed to stand!

Anyway, I've been watching too much news coverage of the Trump debacle. The commentators keep trying to be careful and keep using "pleaded", but every once in a while a "pled" will plop out.

I sit here watching and correcting their "lay/lie" and "pleaded/pled" errors (plus all the other ones I notice). It's very annoying for everyone else around me. TV commentators should be more responsible with their speech!
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

User avatar
OlegTheBatty
True Skeptic
Posts: 10984
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:35 pm
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Re: English multitopic

Postby OlegTheBatty » Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:46 pm

Poodle wrote:I remember the advent of the 'silver surfer'. Just sayin'.


Yabbut Spider-Man is the web surfer.
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

User avatar
OlegTheBatty
True Skeptic
Posts: 10984
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:35 pm
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Re: English multitopic

Postby OlegTheBatty » Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:49 pm

Gord wrote:Pleaded vs. "pled". There is no "pled". "Pled" is not a word. I refuse to accept it.

http://grammarist.com/usage/pleaded-pled/

Pled has always been considered incorrect by people who make such judgments, but it is so common that we have to accept it as an alternative form.

No we must NOT accept it. Once you start accepting the incorrect, you make the incorrect correct. This must not be allowed to stand!

Anyway, I've been watching too much news coverage of the Trump debacle. The commentators keep trying to be careful and keep using "pleaded", but every once in a while a "pled" will plop out.

I sit here watching and correcting their "lay/lie" and "pleaded/pled" errors (plus all the other ones I notice). It's very annoying for everyone else around me. TV commentators should be more responsible with their speech!

Grist for your mill
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

User avatar
Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Posts: 30520
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:44 am
Custom Title: Silent Ork
Location: Transcona

Re: English multitopic

Postby Gord » Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:19 pm

OlegTheBatty wrote:
Gord wrote:Pleaded vs. "pled". There is no "pled". "Pled" is not a word. I refuse to accept it.

http://grammarist.com/usage/pleaded-pled/

Pled has always been considered incorrect by people who make such judgments, but it is so common that we have to accept it as an alternative form.

No we must NOT accept it. Once you start accepting the incorrect, you make the incorrect correct. This must not be allowed to stand!

Anyway, I've been watching too much news coverage of the Trump debacle. The commentators keep trying to be careful and keep using "pleaded", but every once in a while a "pled" will plop out.

I sit here watching and correcting their "lay/lie" and "pleaded/pled" errors (plus all the other ones I notice). It's very annoying for everyone else around me. TV commentators should be more responsible with their speech!

Grist for your mill

Notice the example of use in the past tense uses "pleaded". :P
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

User avatar
OlegTheBatty
True Skeptic
Posts: 10984
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:35 pm
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Re: English multitopic

Postby OlegTheBatty » Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:57 pm

Gord wrote:
OlegTheBatty wrote:
Gord wrote:Pleaded vs. "pled". There is no "pled". "Pled" is not a word. I refuse to accept it.

http://grammarist.com/usage/pleaded-pled/

Pled has always been considered incorrect by people who make such judgments, but it is so common that we have to accept it as an alternative form.

No we must NOT accept it. Once you start accepting the incorrect, you make the incorrect correct. This must not be allowed to stand!

Anyway, I've been watching too much news coverage of the Trump debacle. The commentators keep trying to be careful and keep using "pleaded", but every once in a while a "pled" will plop out.

I sit here watching and correcting their "lay/lie" and "pleaded/pled" errors (plus all the other ones I notice). It's very annoying for everyone else around me. TV commentators should be more responsible with their speech!

Grist for your mill

Notice the example of use in the past tense uses "pleaded". :P

The dictionary pled "Not Guilty".
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

User avatar
JO 753
Has No Life
Posts: 12881
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2005 3:21 pm
Custom Title: rezident owtsidr
Location: BLaNDLaND
Contact:

Re: English multitopic

Postby JO 753 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:04 am

I'v alwayz hearded and readed 'pled'.
Gubmint for us
http://www.7532020.com
not the rich.

User avatar
TJrandom
Has More Than 8K Posts
Posts: 8655
Joined: Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:55 am
Location: Pacific coast outside of Tokyo bay.
Contact:

Re: English multitopic

Postby TJrandom » Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:59 am

Poodle wrote:I remember the advent of the 'silver surfer'. Just sayin'.


Oh, that is a geriatric lounge lizard - right? :oldman:

User avatar
Poodle
Has More Than 9K Posts
Posts: 9005
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:12 pm
Custom Title: Regular sleeper
Location: NE corner of my living room

Re: English multitopic

Postby Poodle » Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:34 am

Well, at least they were older people getting onto the net. Our Bright Young Things wondered how they could do it, being - you know - ancient.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Posts: 12781
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:39 am

Re: English multitopic

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:41 am

A harvard law professor just said preposition vs proposition. Simple misspeak, or something more grotesque?
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

User avatar
Poodle
Has More Than 9K Posts
Posts: 9005
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:12 pm
Custom Title: Regular sleeper
Location: NE corner of my living room

Re: English multitopic

Postby Poodle » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:53 am

A preposition is the wrong word to end a sentence with.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Posts: 12781
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:39 am

Re: English multitopic

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:14 am

Poodle wrote:A preposition is the wrong word to end a sentence with.

thats an interesting proposition.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

User avatar
Austin Harper
Has More Than 5K Posts
Posts: 5025
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:22 pm
Custom Title: Rock Chalk Astrohawk
Location: Detroit
Contact:

Re: English multitopic

Postby Austin Harper » Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:34 pm

Poodle wrote:A preposition is the wrong word to end a sentence with.

This rule is ridiculous and has never been the case for spoken English. It comes from grammarians deciding that because Latin grammar doesn't allow for it (where it wouldn't make any sense because of the way noun cases work) it shouldn't be allowed in English either.
Dum ratio nos ducet, valebimus et multa bene geremus.

User avatar
Poodle
Has More Than 9K Posts
Posts: 9005
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:12 pm
Custom Title: Regular sleeper
Location: NE corner of my living room

Re: English multitopic

Postby Poodle » Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:26 pm

You got it. 'Proper' English is littered with Latin rules. Hence "This is a situation up with which I shall not put"

User avatar
JO 753
Has No Life
Posts: 12881
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2005 3:21 pm
Custom Title: rezident owtsidr
Location: BLaNDLaND
Contact:

Re: English multitopic

Postby JO 753 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:13 am

Yoda? Or Fat Tony?
Gubmint for us
http://www.7532020.com
not the rich.

User avatar
Monster
Has More Than 5K Posts
Posts: 5162
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 7:57 pm
Location: Tarrytown, NY, USA
Contact:

Re: English multitopic

Postby Monster » Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:56 am

Hitchens.
Listening twice as much as you speak is a sign of wisdom.

User avatar
Monster
Has More Than 5K Posts
Posts: 5162
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 7:57 pm
Location: Tarrytown, NY, USA
Contact:

Re: English multitopic

Postby Monster » Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:34 pm

What is the word for "bathroom" in your part of the English speaking world? In the US, the most common word is "bathroom". Sometimes you can see "restroom" at a place like a zoo or airport.

Does your country use:
water closet
restroom
loo
bathroom
toilet
the facilities
something else?

Also, if you saw "bathroom" on a website describing a hotel room, would people from your country instantly know what it means?
Listening twice as much as you speak is a sign of wisdom.

User avatar
Austin Harper
Has More Than 5K Posts
Posts: 5025
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:22 pm
Custom Title: Rock Chalk Astrohawk
Location: Detroit
Contact:

Re: English multitopic

Postby Austin Harper » Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:42 pm

I almost always hear and say bathroom but see restroom written.
Dum ratio nos ducet, valebimus et multa bene geremus.

User avatar
Poodle
Has More Than 9K Posts
Posts: 9005
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:12 pm
Custom Title: Regular sleeper
Location: NE corner of my living room

Re: English multitopic

Postby Poodle » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:44 pm

Pick any from loo, lav, lavvy, lavatory, toilet, bog, occasionally bathroom, equally occasionally shitter or shithouse.
EDIT: Just in case you think the last couple on the crude side, they derive directly from late Anglo Saxon villages which invariably had a '{!#%@} brook' - a small stream into which all such waste was thrown. It was a good idea to make sure everyone knew exactly which one that was, although the smell should have been a big clue.

User avatar
TJrandom
Has More Than 8K Posts
Posts: 8655
Joined: Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:55 am
Location: Pacific coast outside of Tokyo bay.
Contact:

Re: English multitopic

Postby TJrandom » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:49 pm

We use toilet, since the toilet is never in the bathroom - which is a room wherein you bathe. The toilet is a separate room where you piss or defecate. However, travellers are rarely confused, no matter the chosen word.

User avatar
Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Posts: 30520
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:44 am
Custom Title: Silent Ork
Location: Transcona

Re: English multitopic

Postby Gord » Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:32 am

Washroom.

And now for something completely different:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6U0C3LOwEP0
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE


Return to “Education”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests