Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Connection of sea level and groundwater missing link in climate response

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:27 am

Connection of sea level and groundwater missing link in climate response

Date: April 3, 2018

Source: Penn State

Summary: About 250 million years ago, when the Earth had no ice caps and the water around the equator was too hot for reptiles, sea level still rose and fell over time. Now, an international team of researchers has developed a way to track sea-level rise and fall and to tease out what caused the changes in the absence of ice sheets.
"Today's models suggest .3 to 2.5 meters (1 to 8 feet) of sea-level rise during the 21st century, mainly due to ice sheet melting and thermal expansion," said Mingsong Li, postdoctoral fellow in geoscience, Penn State. "However, we know that sea level fluctuated even during times when there were no ice sheets on Earth. The question is, what caused the fluctuation?"

The researchers reported in a recent issue of Nature Communications that the effects of the Earth's tilt on the amounts of water in the oceans and in groundwater account for the changes in sea levels during this period, the Early Triassic.

"When sea level falls, ground water levels increase," said Li. "We find that lakes increase biodiversity of pollen, and other species that liked those ecosystems flourished. When lakes decrease, the diversity of pollens and species decreases."

The existence of lakes and rivers depends on the levels of the groundwater. If groundwater decreases, the sizes and depths of lakes decrease as well, so the size and diversity of lakes and rivers serve as a proxy for how close to the surface the water table -- the top of the ground water -- resides.
Continues...
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"
WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

Jim Steele
Veteran Poster
Custom Title: A Proven Scientific Skeptic

Re: Connection of sea level and groundwater missing link in climate response

Post by Jim Steele » Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:03 am

Thanks for supplying a link to more scientific researh that exactly supports my argument in my most recent post on groundwater and sea level

viewtopic.php?f=40&t=29183
“In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." Galileo

Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:46 am

You should have read it.
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"
WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

Jim Steele
Veteran Poster

Post by Jim Steele » Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:11 am

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:You should have read it.
Oh I did.

Your side-stepping answer suggests you read nether this article nor my essay.

From the authors press release
Current estimates of sea-level rise by the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change consider only the effect of melting ice sheets, thermal expansion and anthropogenic intervention in water storage on land. Li believes that the balance between groundwater and seawater should be considered because the amounts of sea-level rise or fall that can occur due to a shift from groundwater to seawater could be large.
My essay stated EXACTLY the same thing.A shift from groundwater to seawater could be large
“In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." Galileo

Jim Steele
Veteran Poster

Post by Jim Steele » Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:37 am

Gawd,

Because they too understand that sea level is affected by more factors than what the current climate alarmists contend, I sent my essay to the authors asking for their critique.

Since you seem very interested in their research I will keep you informed regards their reply.

Again thanks for posting this excellent piece of research!

Jim Steele
Veteran Poster

Post by Jim Steele » Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:27 pm

Gawd I am pleased to report the researchers thought my essay on groundwater and sea level was "fantastic" and want to maintain communication.

Sadly I don't think this forum appreciates the wonderful science I bring here to their attention.

Cadmusteeth
Frequent Poster

Post by Cadmusteeth » Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:49 pm

Going to go out on a limb here and say that Jim didn't read it.

Jim Steele
Veteran Poster

Post by Jim Steele » Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:46 pm

Cadmusteeth wrote:Going to go out on a limb here and say that Jim didn't read it.
ROTFLMAO

Going out on a limb to say I am the only one here that actually read it.

I also contacted authors and we are in agreement and they thought my my essay was "fantastic"

saying "I cannot agree more with your note that "How can we predict future sea level rise if we don’t fully understand the present or the past?”

In contrast, the alarmists here only IMAGINE what climate does as well as what I have done. Not a single person here has specifically demonstrated why they think the linked article is not in agreement with my post on groundwater and sea level.

All that the anti-science alarmists here can do is snipe, snipe, snipe and make personal attacks.