Top 10 climate change myths (find the answer to your favorite)

Heated discussions on a hot topic.
Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Top 10 climate change myths (find the answer to your favorite)

Postby Gord » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:09 pm

"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Custom Title: bobbo da existential pragmatist

Re: Top 10 climate change myths (find the answer to your favorite)

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:42 pm

Well: whats your favorite?
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

Gord
Obnoxious Weed

Postby Gord » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:52 pm

I like the duck billed dinosaurs.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
#ANDAMOVIE

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:23 pm

Ha, ha==========>very droll. But.......your disrespect notwithstanding.... THANK YOU...... for this video. The very best I have seen in years.

My favorite: the issue is multi-factorial and REQUIRES an expertise not present in pop culture reviews.

Its the hockey stick....man.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.

Gord
Obnoxious Weed

Postby Gord » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:19 am

My...dis...re...spec...t....

Riiiiight.
#ANDAMOVIE

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:58 am

Its definitional. My definition is you respect the reader by giving them your own input/review of the posted material sufficient to give them an intro to what has been posted. Your OP encourages people to find their own favorite myth. If I had posted the OP....I would have given my own favorite: doing the work FIRST that you request of others to do.

When asked to do so, you gave duck billed dinosaurs. Only then did I choose to read the op and I was curious how duck bills would be involved. so, as noted....I see the humor in that. Humor does not substitute for what I call respect for your readers.

You have different standards. You would get more people to read your OP if you gave them the nudge by your own example. Its a general truth.

OlegTheBatty
Has No Life
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Postby OlegTheBatty » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:03 pm

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:Its definitional. My definition is you respect the reader by giving them your own input/review of the posted material sufficient to give them an intro to what has been posted. Your OP encourages people to find their own favorite myth. If I had posted the OP....I would have given my own favorite: doing the work FIRST that you request of others to do.

When asked to do so, you gave duck billed dinosaurs. Only then did I choose to read the op and I was curious how duck bills would be involved. so, as noted....I see the humor in that. Humor does not substitute for what I call respect for your readers.

You have different standards. You would get more people to read your OP if you gave them the nudge by your own example. Its a general truth.

Well, there may be a colonel of truth in your general truth, but, privately, I don't think so. Corporal punishment should ensue.
1. Everyone reads Gord's posts even if only to spot grammatical errors that can be brought to his attention with suitable fanfare.
2. Gord does not invite readers to find their own favourite myth, Gord invites the reader to find the answer to their favourite myth
3. Clearly, the answer to Gord's favourite myth is duck-billed dinosaurs. I assume he meant Hadrosauridae, even though he failed to hyphenate duck-billed.
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:47 pm

OlegTheBatty wrote:Well, there may be a colonel of truth in your general truth, but, privately, I don't think so.

I am encouraged: colonels are very high in rank. Thank you.

..............but I do indeed notice that many people take suggestions on how to do "anything" better as some kind of affront....as if doing something better was to be avoided? AND I ALWAYS: allow that other people can have different points of view, thats part of what calling it "definitional" means. Rejecting someone else's commentary can be as affirming as finding the value in it. Its all: definitional.

I think providing links without commentary, is not as helpful as it could, even should, be. This may come mostly from an algorithm I fell upon years ago: if you have two choices: the one that takes the most work is probably better. iow: the difference between lazy and acceptable. ymmv.

OlegTheBatty wrote:Well, there may be a colonel of truth in your general truth, but, privately, I don't think so.
Here's more work for yourself: don't straddle the fence. Take a position. Explain it.

Gord
Obnoxious Weed

Postby Gord » Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:40 pm

OlegTheBatty wrote:3. Clearly, the answer to Gord's favourite myth is duck-billed dinosaurs. I assume he meant Hadrosauridae, even though he failed to hyphenate duck-billed.

No no, the other ones. Without the hyphens.

Here, a quick google search for "unhyphenated duck billed dinosaur" turns up this as the first image: http://lewstringer.blogspot.ca/2012/12/ ... -1971.html

No, I do not know why. Google is pretty stupid sometimes, but even that doesn't explain this result. I mean, not a single one of those words is on that page!
#ANDAMOVIE

OutOfBreath
Veteran Poster
Custom Title: Persistent ponderer

Postby OutOfBreath » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:47 am

This guy?
https://goo.gl/images/mCCy2T
(First image hit on colonel of truth)

Or did you mean kernel?
dictionary wrote:kernel
ˈkəːn(ə)l/Send
noun
a softer, usually edible part of a nut, seed, or fruit stone contained within its shell.
"the kernel of a walnut"
synonyms: seed, grain, heart, core, stone; More
the central or most important part of something.
"this is the kernel of the argument"
synonyms: essence, core, heart, essential part, essentials, quintessence, fundamentals, basics, nub, gist, substance, burden, heart of the matter, marrow, meat, pith, crux; More

Peace
Dan
What is perceived as real becomes real in its consequences.

"Every judgment teeters on the brink of error. To claim absolute knowledge is to become monstrous. Knowledge is an unending adventure at the edge of uncertainty." - Frank Herbert

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:32 pm

OutOfBreath wrote: Or did you mean kernel?

colonel-----general----privately

Some of the best word play on this forum. Captain could have been worked into it. Lieutenant==>always a bitch.

OlegTheBatty
Has No Life
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Postby OlegTheBatty » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:45 pm

Gord wrote:
OlegTheBatty wrote:3. Clearly, the answer to Gord's favourite myth is duck-billed dinosaurs. I assume he meant Hadrosauridae, even though he failed to hyphenate duck-billed.

No no, the other ones. Without the hyphens.

Here, a quick google search for "unhyphenated duck billed dinosaur" turns up this as the first image: http://lewstringer.blogspot.ca/2012/12/ ... -1971.html

No, I do not know why. Google is pretty stupid sometimes, but even that doesn't explain this result. I mean, not a single one of those words is on that page!

This really narrows it down
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

Return to “Climate Change”