Snoping Breitbart

Heated discussions on a hot topic.
Gord
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Snoping Breitbart

Postby Gord » Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:24 am

http://www.snopes.com/scientific-papers ... tandardosr

On 6 June 2017, Breitbart News ran an article titled “‘Global Warming’ Is a Myth, Say 58 Scientific Papers in 2017”. This article, which is in essence merely a link to a post from a blog that goes by the name “No Tricks Zone”...

...The blog post Breitbart linked to is a list of 80 graphs (so many graphs!) taken from 58 studies. The analysis of the findings presented by No Tricks Zone is crude, misinformed, and riddled with errors....

...A representative response came from Paul Mayewski, author of one of the studies included on the No Tricks Zone list and director of the University of Maine’s Climate Change Institute:

They are absolutely incorrect!!!! Quite the opposite, the paper deals with the impacts of greenhouse gas warming and Antarctic ozone depletion — both human caused — and describes future scenarios. Yet another example of downright lies.

Outside of the fact that all of these papers have squiggly lines that represent climatological change through time, they cover a diverse range of highly technical topics and have little in common with each other. In many cases, listed studies are applicable only to a very specific region and were created not to investigate the influence of humans on climate, but to understand how the climate system works in general....

My study, and almost all I saw mentioned on the blog post, are studies of climate change in the past. My study investigates connections between different parts of the climate system during climate events that happened over 10,000 years ago. Studying climate change in the past can provide context for recent climate change. However, my study in no way investigates or tries to attribute the causes of recent climate change. It does not deal with human influences on climate at all.

Our paper presents a 280-year sea surface temperature record based on the ratio of strontium to calcium in corals we sampled in the Dry Tortugas National Park. It shows that sea surface temperatures measured over many decades in the Florida Straits are variable, and that variation has been dominated for nearly the past three centuries by a natural oscillation called the Atlantic Multidecadal Oscillation. […] Neither of these findings refutes the role of anthropogenic activity in global climate change.

I do not agree with this assessment of my work. The seawater temperature data clearly show a warming.

The article on Breitbart.com is so bad that the author did not even realize that the figure extracted from my paper is not my new data record but the record of the northern Spain atmospheric temperature anomaly, produced by [another group in 2011] that I have used for comparison. […] [Our] results agree with both the global and regional projections that indicate this region of Europe with highest potential vulnerability in regard to current global warming.

Oh, Breitbart. Why are you still a thing? :lol:
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

scrmbldggs
Has No Life
Custom Title: something

Re: Snoping Breitbart

Postby scrmbldggs » Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:26 am

:laff:
Hi, Io the lurker.

Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster
Custom Title: cognitively consonant

Postby Nikki Nyx » Sun Jun 11, 2017 3:19 am

Gord wrote:Oh, Breitbart. Why are you still a thing? :lol:

Because money can be made from affirming people's confirmation biases with falsified data, sadly. I've seen people I generally consider to be intelligent posting articles that agree with their confirmation bias without fact-checking them. Then, when I prove to them what they posted was not factual, they still continue to rely on the same source for information. How do we counter this behavior?
What are the facts? Again and again and again-what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore divine revelation, forget what “the stars foretell,” avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable “verdict of history”--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your single clue. Get the facts!
—Lazarus Long, from Time Enough for Love, by Robert A. Heinlein

ElectricMonk
Persistent Poster
Custom Title: His Beatitude

Postby ElectricMonk » Sun Jun 11, 2017 3:26 am

Put them in one of the thousands of Re-education camps run by FEMA after taking away their guns and converting their children to Islam is what we usually do, isn't it?
I've come up with a set of rules that describe our reactions to technologies:
Spoiler:
1. Anything that is in the world when you’re born is normal and ordinary and is just a natural part of the way the world works.
2. Anything that's invented between when you’re fifteen and thirty-five is new and exciting and revolutionary and you can probably get a career in it.
3. Anything invented after you're thirty-five is against the natural order of things.
- Douglas Adams

Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster

Postby Nikki Nyx » Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:37 am

ElectricMonk wrote:Put them in one of the thousands of Re-education camps run by FEMA after taking away their guns and converting their children to Islam is what we usually do, isn't it?
Yes, but you forgot to include the Gay Agenda.
What are the facts? Again and again and again-what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore divine revelation, forget what “the stars foretell,” avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable “verdict of history”--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your single clue. Get the facts!

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:49 am

Off Topic
. :shock: Funny you should 'resurrect' this right now. I had just been watching this ytube clip.
Hi, Io the lurker.

Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster

Postby Nikki Nyx » Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:54 am

scrmbldggs wrote:
Off Topic
. :shock: Funny you should 'resurrect' this right now. I had just been watching this ytube clip.

That was epic! I adore Eddie Izzard and wish he'd been able to get more comments in. But Malcolm Nance won that round, I think. :lol:

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:25 am

scrmbldggs wrote:
Off Topic

The Breitbart guy is wrong and possibly outright lying about the definition of "fake news". My best guess is that he's lying and doing so deliberately.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
#ANDAMOVIE

ElectricMonk
Persistent Poster
Custom Title: His Beatitude

Postby ElectricMonk » Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:28 am

Gord wrote:
scrmbldggs wrote:
Off Topic

The Breitbart guy is wrong and possibly outright lying about the definition of "fake news". My best guess is that he's lying and doing so deliberately.

Can't watch that - don't want my browser to know that I watch Breitbart videos, even if only for "research purposes".

;)
I've come up with a set of rules that describe our reactions to technologies:
Spoiler:
1. Anything that is in the world when you’re born is normal and ordinary and is just a natural part of the way the world works.
2. Anything that's invented between when you’re fifteen and thirty-five is new and exciting and revolutionary and you can probably get a career in it.
3. Anything invented after you're thirty-five is against the natural order of things.
- Douglas Adams

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:00 pm

ElectricMonk wrote:
Gord wrote:
scrmbldggs wrote:
Off Topic

Can't watch that - don't want my browser to know that I watch Breitbart videos, even if only for "research purposes".

;)

I think it's a Bill Maher video with a guy from Breitbart as one of his guests.
#ANDAMOVIE

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:12 pm

Hi, Io the lurker.

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:59 am

scrmbldggs wrote:Probably grieving the dear departed... Trump administration just disbanded a federal advisory committee on climate change

Thanks, Trump.
#ANDAMOVIE

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:08 pm

Last week, the president signed an executive order on infrastructure that included language overturning a federal requirement that projects built in coastal floodplains and receiving federal aid take projected sea-level rise into account.

Just like him that he would flush money he didn't grift earn down the crapper.
Hi, Io the lurker.

OlegTheBatty
True Skeptic
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Postby OlegTheBatty » Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:19 pm

scrmbldggs wrote:Probably grieving the dear departed... Trump administration just disbanded a federal advisory committee on climate change

What does Trump need federal advisory committees for? There are only 2 pieces of advice he needs:

1) STFU you {!#%@}!
2) Resign, you {!#%@}!

and there are already billions of people giving him that advice for free.
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:00 pm

He ain't going anywhere soon. He finally gets to spend the truly carefree rich life he's always dreamt of. While hauling in more effortlessly...
Hi, Io the lurker.

Return to “Climate Change”