The absolute state of Buzzfeed

Discussions
Aaron Richards
Poster

The absolute state of Buzzfeed

Post by Aaron Richards » Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:49 pm

Okay. Is there something I am missing? Some inside joke I'm not getting? I've known Buzzfeed as a disseminator of popular videos for over a decade, not subscribed to them and watching all their vids on a regular basis, though.

So I recently came across one regarding the Moon Landing. This is a video, that currently has 1.6 MILLION views on youtube (and Buzzfeed has 8.6 million subscribers).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zm7LfuDCu8

As such a large channel, you'd expect a modicum of responsibility from them, and especially when it comes to topics of science, to either be educational, or so over-the-top satirical that it should be obvious to anyone that they are mocking the conspiracy theorists.

But it isnt. I had to shut my brain down to be able to watch the video patiently all the way to the end, and (spoiler alert) there was no instance where the presenter lost it, started laughing and started debunking all the theories he had just brought up.

For me, the moon landing isn't a laughing matter. The amount of determined and serious commenters who keep spreading their crackpot theories that it was a hoax and the sheer amount of gullible people out there means big channels should take some responsibility and not CONTRIBUTE to this disinformation.

CollegeHumor for example proves how you can do things right. You've got the humor, you've got the satire, but at the same time you get educated:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhp-FTYSGe8&t=1s

I believe MythBusters also covered this topic a decade or so ago.

IMO, Buzzfeed is garbage. At the rate they are falling, maybe they should invite FP Berg next time and do a video on the holocaust.
Please subscribe to my YouTube channel "Holocaust Documents", where I fight back the sea of antisemitism & conspiracy theories that has taken over its comment section: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTBlSX ... Un5jIhWm7g
I compile rebuttals to popular holocaust denier canards here: https://siraaronrichards.imgur.com

landrew
Has More Than 8K Posts

Re: The absolute state of Buzzfeed

Post by landrew » Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:15 pm

Anything that gets more views...
The job of a skeptic is to investigate the unexplained; not to explain the uninvestigated.

landrew
Has More Than 8K Posts

Post by landrew » Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:17 pm

The Soviets would have been all over it if it was faked.
The job of a skeptic is to investigate the unexplained; not to explain the uninvestigated.

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Dostawca - sciany tekstu

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:19 pm

I have trouble getting upset with Buzzfeed as they were the publisher of the "dossier" of pee-tape fame.
"It was still at the stage of clubs and fists, hurrah, tala"

landrew
Has More Than 8K Posts

Post by landrew » Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:22 pm

The arguments he presents as most compelling are easy to explain with basic high school science. He's obviously lacking that.

Aaron Richards
Poster

Post by Aaron Richards » Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:06 pm

Statistical Mechanic wrote:I have trouble getting upset with Buzzfeed as they were the publisher of the "dossier" of pee-tape fame.
I know it is off-topic, but I have trouble taking people seriously when, on one hand they consider folks like Alex Jones a raving lunatic with a tinfoil hat (which he is), while at the same time, honestly believing in equally tinfoil-tier conspiracy theories that haven't seen any light of day like the above.
Please subscribe to my YouTube channel "Holocaust Documents", where I fight back the sea of antisemitism & conspiracy theories that has taken over its comment section: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTBlSX ... Un5jIhWm7g
I compile rebuttals to popular holocaust denier canards here: https://siraaronrichards.imgur.com

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:57 pm

Aaron Richards wrote:
Statistical Mechanic wrote:I have trouble getting upset with Buzzfeed as they were the publisher of the "dossier" of pee-tape fame.
I know it is off-topic, but I have trouble taking people seriously when, on one hand they consider folks like Alex Jones a raving lunatic with a tinfoil hat (which he is), while at the same time, honestly believing in equally tinfoil-tier conspiracy theories that haven't seen any light of day like the above.
LOL I was pretty much joking, I occasionally look at a story on Buzzfeed if another site links to it - they seem sensationalistic, maybe a cut above NE, maybe not - and BuzzfeedBlue material undermines other stuff, such as it is, that they do . . . especially when they advertise that part of their platform as "bite-size knowledge for a big world" through "new facts, hacks, and how-to videos" - the page for BuzzfeedBlue features alien abduction, E.T., cockroach eating, WWE and other such fare, kind of like the back pages of '50s comics or something.

Denying-History
Veteran Poster

Post by Denying-History » Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:22 pm

They have a video on why the earth is flat. From what I get it’s intended to mock those who believe in such things:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JO-ndBqZORk

Also Adam has a bad reputation as being rather one-sided. I would be careful when taking him seriously when he has a tendency to cherrypick from his sources.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEw8c6TmzGg
« The Terror here is a horrifying fact. There is a fear that reaches down and haunts all sections of the community. No household, however humble, apparently but what lives in constant fear of nocturnal raid by the secret police. . .This particular purge is undoubtedly political. . . It is deliberately projected by the party leaders, who themselves regretted the necessity for it. »
Joseph E. Davies

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 9K Posts

Post by Jeffk 1970 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:03 am

I was getting ready to say, if you really want to enjoy yourself join Twitter. Lots of flat earthers and moon landing deniers over there. I found a nuke denier (that’s a real thing though I’ve only found two) and a guy who told me that the soccer team in the cave was faked.
A joke going around Moscow during The Great Terror:

The NKVD knocks on a door.
The inhabitants ask who it is.
“NKVD.”
“You’ve got the wrong apartment. The Communists are upstairs.”

Denying-History
Veteran Poster

Post by Denying-History » Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:13 am

I’ll pass. Think I got tired of arguing with them after Syria’s nonsense about computers. Lol Really need to cool off, don’t like people that are full of themselves and all deniers are like that.
« The Terror here is a horrifying fact. There is a fear that reaches down and haunts all sections of the community. No household, however humble, apparently but what lives in constant fear of nocturnal raid by the secret police. . .This particular purge is undoubtedly political. . . It is deliberately projected by the party leaders, who themselves regretted the necessity for it. »
Joseph E. Davies

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 9K Posts

Post by Jeffk 1970 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:20 am

That argument about storage went on way past the point of ridiculous. Syria’s insistence on dwelling on it was beyond belief. He seemed to think because not everything was scanned it meant something much darker.

“NKVD.”

landrew
Has More Than 8K Posts

Post by landrew » Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:26 am

Denying-History wrote:They have a video on why the earth is flat. From what I get it’s intended to mock those who believe in such things:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JO-ndBqZORk

Also Adam has a bad reputation as being rather one-sided. I would be careful when taking him seriously when he has a tendency to cherrypick from his sources.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEw8c6TmzGg

Denying-History
Veteran Poster

Post by Denying-History » Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:43 am

Jeffk 1970 wrote:That argument about storage went on way past the point of ridiculous. Syria’s insistence on dwelling on it was beyond belief. He seemed to think because not everything was scanned it meant something much darker.
I just don’t think he realizes how many documents exist in an archive... I was really shocked when I first took the time to go through the UofM’s microfilms compared with my college’s. They have so many books, documents, and films that it spans over at least 7 open libraries and a warehouse. The one I commen the most Hatcher Graduate is itself overwhelming.

I have a trip planned sometime around the end of August to visit the Trotsky Harvard Archvie. May take pictures.
Joseph E. Davies

landrew
Has More Than 8K Posts

Post by landrew » Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:38 am

I would assume that nearly all the microfiche has been digitized by now.

Aaron Richards
Poster

Post by Aaron Richards » Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:38 am

As you know is the case with my main imgur blog, whenever I get pissed about the spread of disinfo, I have a habit of searching the net and hastily compiling together stuff with the primary goal of aiding/reinforcing my own conviction and satisfaction. Well, this morning I did just that and compiled such a post on imgur regarding this topic, it should be a somewhat brief read that sums up most of the talking points of these nutters, all of which have long been addressed and refuted by smart folks:

landrew
Has More Than 8K Posts

Post by landrew » Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:50 pm

I wouldn't call it disinformation. It's just basic ignorance. Most of the arguments against the moon landing involve basic science, mainly physics. You simply can't argue about physics when you are scientifically illiterate, and that seems to be the case with moon landing deniers. I won't say there aren't credentialed scientists who support it, but we know that there are plenty of misguided thinkers who sport scientific credentials, particularly in the world of Intelligent Design.

Every argument they put forth is based on pure ignorance. I don't want to cite them all, but here's an example: "The flag fluttered in the absence of an atmosphere." Of course it did. It was being moved, and it didn't have air around it to impede it's movement. Put a flag in a vacuum jar and see if it flutters when you shake it. Every other example they present is likewise easily explainable with basic scientific knowledge.

landrew
Has More Than 8K Posts

Post by landrew » Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:52 pm

Like the flat-earthers, these moon landing deniers seem to have a complex. The idea that there is a posse after you means that you are the true hero being wronged.

Right?

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:33 pm

NYT article on lawsuits, with First Amendment implications, against InfoWars for defamation and false claims: "Alex Jones, Pursued Over Falsehoods, Faces a Legal Crossroads"

landrew
Has More Than 8K Posts

Post by landrew » Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:36 pm

Statistical Mechanic wrote:NYT article on lawsuits, with First Amendment implications, against InfoWars for defamation and false claims: "Alex Jones, Pursued Over Falsehoods, Faces a Legal Crossroads"
It's because the lizard people are after him: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_5VtoysNFs

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 9K Posts

Post by Jeffk 1970 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:44 pm

landrew wrote:
Statistical Mechanic wrote:NYT article on lawsuits, with First Amendment implications, against InfoWars for defamation and false claims: "Alex Jones, Pursued Over Falsehoods, Faces a Legal Crossroads"
It's because the lizard people are after him: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_5VtoysNFs
That man needs more fiber in his diet. That might solve the grunting, groaning and howling.

“NKVD.”

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:36 pm

The defamation trial of Alex Jones and Infowars may or may not be permitted to proceed. The judge in Austin will take up to a month to decide about whether the plaintiff's defamation suit can go forward, after Jones' defense during a hearing this week
1) admitted that the Sandy Hook murders did in fact occur, opening with a statement that Jones wished “to reiterate the fact that he is sorry for [the victims' families'] loss,”
2) argued that Jones' statements about Sandy Hook were examples of "fringe" - and maybe even "dangerous" - speech but were not defamatory, and that the 1st amendment's strength is in permitting fringe opinions,
3) maintained that the families of victims, whom Infowars had claimed were crisis actors and fakes, and whom Infowars had repeatedly called out as "liars," were not defamed because Jones' real target was the government - and that, after the family members responded to Jones' false charges, they had become public figures not subject to defamation.

Whilst I am in favor of expansive speech rights, I have trouble understanding how this is even a close call. The 1st amendment doesn't shield speakers from the consequences of making false, defamatory or slanderous statements - or of using speech to incite. A civil suit alleging harms from Jones' campaign against these victims and their families seems to me a no-brainer - and only minimally satisfactory; in fact, in this case, as with the Westboro Church cases, I don't see how government action against those promoting the harmful falsehoods would violate the 1st amendment.

landrew
Has More Than 8K Posts

Post by landrew » Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:23 pm

Hurt feelings are hard to litigate. Their best hope is a sympathetic jury,
who have watched a lot of Alex Jones videos.

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:01 pm

There is, nevertheless, a body of law about defamation. The sympathies of a jury won't come into play if the judge doesn't allow the case to proceed.

landrew
Has More Than 8K Posts

Post by landrew » Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:18 pm

Statistical Mechanic wrote:There is, nevertheless, a body of law about defamation. The sympathies of a jury won't come into play if the judge doesn't allow the case to proceed.
I don't think it will, because it would set off a wave of defamation suits that no one is prepared for.

Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Post by Gord » Sat Aug 04, 2018 12:08 am

Statistical Mechanic wrote:3) maintained that the families of victims, whom Infowars had claimed were crisis actors and fakes, and whom Infowars had repeatedly called out as "liars," were not defamed because Jones' real target was the government - and that, after the family members responded to Jones' false charges, they had become public figures not subject to defamation.
:laff: In other words, they retroactively became fair game to be lied about simply by the act of responding to being lied about.

"I shot him, your honour. He then threatened my life, which gave me just cause to have shot him."
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Sat Aug 04, 2018 12:25 am

of course , if one of your loved ones is murdered, and then Infowars says that you are lying about the murder and play-acting, you are then a "public figure" and fair game for ... Infowars ...

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: something

Post by scrmbldggs » Sat Aug 04, 2018 1:37 am

...and/or georgie. Who seems to be sitting this one out. I wonder why...

Performing as a crisis actor at various Trump rallies?  
Lard, save me from your followers.

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:39 pm

Apple, Spotify and Facebook cut Infowars off their platforms: https://www.theguardian.com/technology/ ... alex-jones

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:52 pm

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:25 pm

seemingly related to platforms' actions against InfoWars, as blowback?

"Far-right protesters 'ransack socialist bookshop in London': Owners of Bookmarks say masked attackers wrecked displays and tore up books": "A far-right protest against censorship of the conspiracy theory website Infowars took place in central London on Saturday at which protesters were seen with the same placards. Others wore 'Make Britain Great Again' caps."

"Far-right protesters including man in Trump mask attack socialist bookshop while chanting about Muslims: Group threaten staff at London store while hurling around books about Islamophobia": "Do you have any books on paedophilia?"

Because free speech and the marketplace of ideas . . .

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:51 pm

Companies are people, too. :mrgreen:

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:11 pm

Offtopic: I hear trusted FB now wants user's bank data. To serve humans... better. :twisted:

Balsamo
Frequent Poster

Post by Balsamo » Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:39 pm

Statmec:
"Do you have any books on paedophilia?"
Snow white! The original version of course, Disney put a on screen and published a second version in which the dwarfs had beards and Snow White had clothes on.

Seriously concerning this Buzzfeed video , when you starts having millions nuts following you, you're in a business. You provide what sells. It is quite obvious that the narrator plays a role, and why not? As long as it makes some buzz, it's business.
CollegeHumor is also a business...although funny and accurate.

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:52 pm

I can't even. Tomi Lahren goes on FOX and claims to have been grossed out on her first trip to elite, gay, liberal San Francisco 'cuz she came across a homeless guy, she said, snorting coke off the street?!?!?! But then this, since we're doing the culture wars, which has the value of being something that actually happened: "Brian France, Nascar’s Chief, Takes Leave After Drunken Driving Charge": "France was pulled over in Sag Harbor, N.Y., around 7:30 p.m. on Sunday after failing to stop at a stop sign, according to a news release from the Sag Harbor Village police department. He was charged with aggravated driving while intoxicated and possession of a controlled substance, oxycodone."

I know, there's no thread for this, but Jesus.

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:47 am

Reportedly he began name dropping, his buddy Donny among them...

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:07 pm

in wake of high-profile platform bans of Infowars . . . "Infowars app surges in popularity on Apple, Google Play stores"

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:41 pm

landrew
Has More Than 8K Posts

Post by landrew » Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:11 pm

scrmbldggs wrote:Offtopic: I hear trusted FB now wants user's bank data. To serve humans... better. :twisted:
Did you hear that on one of those fake Facebook posts?

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:27 pm

landrew wrote:
scrmbldggs wrote:Offtopic: I hear trusted FB now wants user's bank data. To serve humans... better. :twisted:
Naw, it was on some fake news.

landrew
Has More Than 8K Posts

Post by landrew » Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:52 pm

scrmbldggs wrote:
landrew wrote:
Naw, it was on some fake news.
I used to get a lot of those fake stories on Facebook, nearly every day, such as "deadly disease from drinking from unclean pop can" and garbage like that. I'd go to Snopes, expose it, and scold everyone for sending it, but they continued as though nothing had happened. I haven't seen many lately, so I assume Facebook is handling it.