RIP Claude Lanzmann

Holocaust denial and related subjects.
Upton_O_Goode
Persistent Poster
Custom Title: Unlimited_Oracular_Guidance

RIP Claude Lanzmann

Postby Upton_O_Goode » Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:14 pm

I just heard this on the BBC.

https://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2018/07/05/world/europe/ap-eu-france-obit-lanzmann.html

Shoah was one of my first experiences in learning about the Holocaust, and it gave me many insights that I wouldn't have had otherwise. It's an interesting psychological fact (probably tells something about me) that I was able to watch this because I knew it was factual. I couldn't get through the fictionalized account that had Meryl Streep as a German woman married to a Jewish man; it was just too painful. Not sure why.
The Internet has democratized the old threat our teachers used to hold over us: "That goes on your permanent record." We knew that was a bluff. The only people whose misdeeds were recorded in indelible ink, back then, were husbands.

But now, thanks to Google, everybody really does have a permanent record. Thanks, Mark Zuckerberg!

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 8K Posts

Re: RIP Claude Lanzmann

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:29 pm

I’ve never watched the whole thing, only bits and pieces.
When my son had his barmitzvah, and his wedding, there was no family whatsoever -that’s the way the second and third generation feel the Holocaust, they miss their family. My son hasn’t experienced a family life –having uncles, aunts, grandmothers, grandfathers. There is just that hole.
Edith Baneth
Savage Continent

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Dostawca - sciany tekstu

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:38 pm

Jeffk 1970 wrote:I’ve never watched the whole thing, only bits and pieces.

Like Upton I watched Shoah when it was released, I thought it was brilliant, and moving, at the time.
You know, my dear Colonel General, I don't really believe that the Russians will attack at all. It's all an enormous bluff. - Heinrich Himmler to Heinz Guderian, December 1944

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 8K Posts

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:04 pm

D-H recommended getting the transcript. I saw it a couple of months back at 1/2 Price Books and I’m kicking myself for not getting it.

The problem I find with watching it is that depending on the version I find it is unevenly translated.
When my son had his barmitzvah, and his wedding, there was no family whatsoever -that’s the way the second and third generation feel the Holocaust, they miss their family. My son hasn’t experienced a family life –having uncles, aunts, grandmothers, grandfathers. There is just that hole.
Edith Baneth
Savage Continent

Darren Wilshak
Regular Poster

Postby Darren Wilshak » Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:18 pm

Channel 4 showed it in its entirety in 1987 on terrestrial British TV. The most extraordinary part of it remains the covert recording of Suchomel. Though the whole thing itself is remarkable as an odyssey and hyponotic in its use of the train and tracks as a leitmotiv. It has a truly epic sprawling feel to it overall. A lasting record and testimony to the genius of Lanzmann and his inspiration.

The comparison with Berg's favourite TV mini series is interesting. Forty years old now. Gerald Green's teleplay uses historical sites and historical personalities and events of the Holocaust along with fictitious characters to tell a story through a soap-ish opera. Berlin and Kristallnacht, Dachau, T4, Einsatzgruppen, the Warsaw Ghetto fighters, Babi Yar, Jewish Partisans, The artists of Theresienstadt, Auschwitz.

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:27 pm

Jeffk 1970 wrote:D-H recommended getting the transcript. I saw it a couple of months back at 1/2 Price Books and I’m kicking myself for not getting it.

The problem I find with watching it is that depending on the version I find it is unevenly translated.

LOL I bought the transcript a couple years ago hoping to find a DVD version to re-watch. I found one, in Paris, incompatible with my player it turns out. Weird that "Shoah" is not on Amazon or Netflix. Maybe Lanzmann's passing will prompt it to turn up again.
You know, my dear Colonel General, I don't really believe that the Russians will attack at all. It's all an enormous bluff. - Heinrich Himmler to Heinz Guderian, December 1944

Upton_O_Goode
Persistent Poster

Postby Upton_O_Goode » Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:12 pm

Darren Wilshak wrote:The comparison with Berg's favourite TV mini series is interesting. Forty years old now. Gerald Green's teleplay uses historical sites and historical personalities and events of the Holocaust along with fictitious characters to tell a story through a soap-ish opera. Berlin and Kristallnacht, Dachau, T4, Einsatzgruppen, the Warsaw Ghetto fighters, Babi Yar, Jewish Partisans, The artists of Theresienstadt, Auschwitz.

Thanks for using that description. That may explain why I found this too painful to watch. When I've glanced at soap operas, my mind has always switched to a dismissive mood: The writers can make anything happen that they want to happen, and there's no reason to regard this plot as realistic. That wasn't the case with this series, but just knowing that there were actors playing parts must have turned me off on a subliminal level. And in the back of my mind, I feared that the deniers would seize on it to say the whole thing is fiction, just like the Holocaust itself.
The Internet has democratized the old threat our teachers used to hold over us: "That goes on your permanent record." We knew that was a bluff. The only people whose misdeeds were recorded in indelible ink, back then, were husbands.

But now, thanks to Google, everybody really does have a permanent record. Thanks, Mark Zuckerberg!

Balmoral95
Frequent Poster

Postby Balmoral95 » Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:08 pm

Upton_O_Goode wrote:
Darren Wilshak wrote:The comparison with Berg's favourite TV mini series is interesting. Forty years old now. Gerald Green's teleplay uses historical sites and historical personalities and events of the Holocaust along with fictitious characters to tell a story through a soap-ish opera. Berlin and Kristallnacht, Dachau, T4, Einsatzgruppen, the Warsaw Ghetto fighters, Babi Yar, Jewish Partisans, The artists of Theresienstadt, Auschwitz.

Thanks for using that description. That may explain why I found this too painful to watch. When I've glanced at soap operas, my mind has always switched to a dismissive mood: The writers can make anything happen that they want to happen, and there's no reason to regard this plot as realistic. That wasn't the case with this series, but just knowing that there were actors playing parts must have turned me off on a subliminal level. And in the back of my mind, I feared that the deniers would seize on it to say the whole thing is fiction, just like the Holocaust itself.

https://www.nytimes.com/1978/04/16/arch ... -view.html

Upton_O_Goode
Persistent Poster

Postby Upton_O_Goode » Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:27 pm

Thank you very much! As always, Wiesel says with great eloquence thoughts that I couldn't formulate. He once commented on artistic representations of the Holocaust as follows: "We should be filled with fear and trembling before we even mention the word." By any accounts, he had more right than almost anybody else to "mention the word."

Denying-History
Frequent Poster

Postby Denying-History » Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:08 pm

Eh, I don't really know if I have more to say then IMHO that "Shoah" is a mixed bag. But sad to see him gone.
« Yes, that may surprise some people, including my colleagues. But have no illusions. I never compelled anybody to work for me, just as we didn't compel the German people. They themselves gave us the job to do. Why did you work with me? Now, you'll have your little throat cut...but the earth will shake when we leave the scene... »
- Joseph Goebbels

Balmoral95
Frequent Poster

Postby Balmoral95 » Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:01 am

Upton_O_Goode wrote:

Thank you very much! As always, Wiesel says with great eloquence thoughts that I couldn't formulate. He once commented on artistic representations of the Holocaust as follows: "We should be filled with fear and trembling before we even mention the word." By any accounts, he had more right than almost anybody else to "mention the word."

Sure.

I'm not a Wiesel fan but this was an apt critique.

Sergey_Romanov
Regular Poster

Postby Sergey_Romanov » Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:52 pm

Speaking of soap operas, some idiots literally use screenshots taken from films to prove the Holocaust (Babiy Yar scenes).

Upton_O_Goode
Persistent Poster

Postby Upton_O_Goode » Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:37 am

Sergey_Romanov wrote:Speaking of soap operas, some idiots literally use screenshots taken from films to prove the Holocaust (Babiy Yar scenes).

Exactly what I feared. That gives ammunition to the deniers.

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:27 am

. . . and causes organizations to split apart and much personal enmity, when the perps are found out . . .

Darren Wilshak
Regular Poster

Postby Darren Wilshak » Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:30 pm

Yes that screen grab of the tube from the Rutger Hauer film Escape from Sobibor which was then converted to monotone and presented at rodoh as an actual picture of the schlauch by some joker. But this guy was a denier, not someone using 'reconstructions of actual events,' as if they were genuine documentary evidence.

Sergey_Romanov
Regular Poster

Postby Sergey_Romanov » Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:00 pm

Well, I meant some ppl on twitter, but now that you bring that up, that too.

Return to “Holocaust Denial”