Piper versus Pressac

Discussions
Balmoral95
Veteran Poster

Piper versus Pressac

Postby Balmoral95 » Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:23 am

Denying-History wrote:I think if I remember correctly Piper criticized Pressac on this point saying that Hoess contradicted this later in his memoir.

Have at it, chaps....

Sergey_Romanov
Regular Poster

Re: Piper versus Pressac

Postby Sergey_Romanov » Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:03 pm

Context?

Balmoral95
Veteran Poster

Postby Balmoral95 » Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:35 pm

Sergey_Romanov wrote:Context?

In the Auschwitz Krema 5 smoke thread I quoted Pressac (who quoted Hoess) at p. 397. D-H responded that Piper was critical of Hoess on this point (which I don't recall). As D-H didn't provide any further info, I thought I'd throw it out there for comments.

Denying-History
Veteran Poster

Postby Denying-History » Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:48 am

Balmoral95 wrote:Pressac, p. 379:

1. Rudolf Hoess. former Camp Commandant, reports that:

"Number III [Kr IV] failed completely after a short time [in 1943] and later ceased to be used altogether. Number IV [Kr V] had to be repeatedly shut down, since after its fires had been burning for from four to six weeks, the ovens or the chimneys burnt out.”

In Hoess' opinion, these installations were little used and were soon abandoned, irreparably damaged. However, it would appear that Hoess was in error, for while Kr IV was closed down because its chimneys and/or furnaces were burnt out, Kr V, of exactly the same structure as IV, suffered damage that could be repaired, but could subsequently be operated only sporadically and in moderation.

My reply: I think if I remember correctly Piper criticized Pressac on this point saying that Hoess contradicted this later in his memoir.

Context is that Pressac estimated 40 to 50 days (p.390) operation for Krema 4 that Meyers used:

According to Meyer, crematorium III (IV) was in operation for only 50 days, from March 22, 1943 to mid-May, 1943. This statement evokes strong reservations. On the basis of documents from the camp construction administration, Meyer writes that, as early as April 3, 1943, the chimney of crematorium III (IV) was damaged (cracked), and that the crematorium was already inoperative from mid-May 1943 for this reason. In support of his contention, Meyer cites testimony by Höss that crematorium III (IV) “dropped out” after a short period of time and was not used. 30 What Höss writes in his essay on “The Final Solution of the Jewish Question” (which Meyer does not mention), however, is that this crematorium “was frequently inoperative.” 31

As in the case of the assertion that the crematoria only operated nine hours per day, so also the statement that crematorium III (IV) only operated for 50 days is contradicted by 1944 labor department records. . .

https://web.archive.org/web/20090705103625/http://en.auschwitz.org.pl/m/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=334&Itemid=8
« The Terror here is a horrifying fact. There is a fear that reaches down and haunts all sections of the community. No household, however humble, apparently but what lives in constant fear of nocturnal raid by the secret police. . .This particular purge is undoubtedly political. . . It is deliberately projected by the party leaders, who themselves regretted the necessity for it. »
Joseph E. Davies

Aaron Richards
Poster

Postby Aaron Richards » Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:20 am

Didn't the Sonderkommando revolt happen in an operational Krema IV?
Please subscribe to my YouTube channel "Holocaust Documents", where I fight back the sea of antisemitism & conspiracy theories that has taken over its comment section: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTBlSX ... Un5jIhWm7g
I compile rebuttals to popular holocaust denier canards here: http://imgur.com/a/725A7

Denying-History
Veteran Poster

Postby Denying-History » Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:41 am

Aaron Richards wrote:Didn't the Sonderkommando revolt happen in an operational Krema IV?

"Krematorium IV entered service on 22nd March 1943 and operated until 7th October 1944, the date of the Sonderkommando revolt, when it was set on fire." (Pressac p.379)
« The Terror here is a horrifying fact. There is a fear that reaches down and haunts all sections of the community. No household, however humble, apparently but what lives in constant fear of nocturnal raid by the secret police. . .This particular purge is undoubtedly political. . . It is deliberately projected by the party leaders, who themselves regretted the necessity for it. »
Joseph E. Davies

Return to “Holocaust, Genocide, and Mass Violence”