Has the HD Forum become too Inbred?

Discussions
bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Custom Title: bobbo da existential pragmatist

Re: Has the HD Forum become too Inbred?

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:15 am

DH-I accept that is your position. I just disagree.....and have demonstrated right up front that your memory should not be relied on. Why don't you want to wipe the slate clean and start over? Why the obsession?............... just a bit too much ego.

So, let's say you are right about everything. Now what? Would that justify running me off the forum?.....or might I have something to contribute on some other subject? How do people learn if you crucify them for their mistakes?

Know what I mean?
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:22 am

Balmoral95 wrote:And, back on topic, "inbred" is a stupid usage of the word. As would have been "incestuous".

This forum, as many others have, has been here for years and just happened to coalesce a certain core group of folks at a certain time recently (ish). Others have joined and either stayed or left as is their wont. For the most part it's a group that gets along, a well studied group on the main topic and also one which has varied, heated and different interpretations and arguments about the history and events we've studied. Simple as that.

One of my most favorite topics: the meaning of words. dictionary, colloquial, context. Its what got me crosswise with Stat Mech. I don't know if this is his issue, but too many people think words have only ONE meaning: what they think themselves. I still like inbred: the too long absence of outside input. Almost all other words would not be fitting.

Others have joined and either stayed or left as is their wont.
when abuse, ridicule, name calling, and irrelevant postings are targeted to one individual.......the "wont" is missing.

Simple as that?.....No. And you can see what is not so simple right in this thread. My goal: to clean up the HD Forum and have all the trash piled here. so far, its working, except for Stat Mech. Rather amusing/sad that. I still take SM as the expert supreme. all of us have our faults.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.

Denying-History
Veteran Poster

Postby Denying-History » Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:38 am

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:DH-I accept that is your position. I just disagree.....and have demonstrated right up front that your memory should not be relied on. Why don't you want to wipe the slate clean and start over? Why the obsession?............... just a bit too much ego.

So, let's say you are right about everything. Now what? Would that justify running me off the forum?.....or might I have something to contribute on some other subject? How do people learn if you crucify them for their mistakes?

Know what I mean?

You didn’t demonstrate my memory was faulty at all.

and if I remember correctly denied the German (Nazi primarly) perception that justified the Holocaust. /// Correct. It was not a perception but an excuse/propaganda. Do you think Trump really thinks the Mexicans are all rapists?...or is he doing something else? . .

It’s been a while so I’m not going to go dig up the issue, I remember it being around how the Nazis thought the Jews would exterminate them if they didn’t get round to the doing the same to the opposite first. /// Yes it was "around" that, but IIRC, the point I made was correct. If you aren't going to dig up the issue: why hold on to umbrage? You are just using it as an excuse. Somewhat similarly: even on the dregs here: how rational is any claim that the Jews were thought wanting or even capable of exterminating the Nazis? Up front "knowing nothing" as I do.....it sounds like an excuse/justification. NOT any "real reason." You know: propaganda.

My comments were actually rather accurate if not completely:

http://www.skepticforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=552195#p552195

You went on later to claim that others were saying “not all Germans” was your main point. Something which no one said in that entire conversation - that all Germans believed it.

http://www.skepticforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=551834#p551834

And yes, you denied the Nazis thought the Jews wanted to exterminate them. Which I mocked you for and pointed out Robert Leys comments.
« The Terror here is a horrifying fact. There is a fear that reaches down and haunts all sections of the community. No household, however humble, apparently but what lives in constant fear of nocturnal raid by the secret police. . .This particular purge is undoubtedly political. . . It is deliberately projected by the party leaders, who themselves regretted the necessity for it. »
Joseph E. Davies

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:49 am

I'll give it one more shot: "You didn’t demonstrate my memory was faulty at all." //// I said it should not be relied on because you took the words before you that I "....literally (ha, ha, nice emphasis there) entered into a subject while knowing nothing about it...." and turned that into "....when I accused you of knowing to little."

Do you see the difference? You either remembered your initial phrasing wrong.....or something even worse. You can correct the former by copy and paste. The latter may lose you to rationality.

I'll stop here.........one screw at a time.

Denying-History
Veteran Poster

Postby Denying-History » Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:50 am

That’s a difference in wording, not memory. :lol:

And yes, the comments of concern that you overreach your own “knowledge” remains true.
« The Terror here is a horrifying fact. There is a fear that reaches down and haunts all sections of the community. No household, however humble, apparently but what lives in constant fear of nocturnal raid by the secret police. . .This particular purge is undoubtedly political. . . It is deliberately projected by the party leaders, who themselves regretted the necessity for it. »
Joseph E. Davies

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:04 am

Denying-History wrote:That’s a difference in wording, not memory. :lol:
I get the humor, it is funeee. but it is also dishonest/dodging. Be honest, direct, admit mistakes, don't sweat the small stuff: have fun.

Denying-History wrote:And yes, the comments of concern that you overreach your own “knowledge” remains true.
Copy and paste.

You don't get your own way by constant dodging and repetition.

Denying-History
Veteran Poster

Postby Denying-History » Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:10 am

Or it was again difference in wording...

Also it’s called repeating yourself. It’s what happens when someone tries avoiding the actual problem.
Joseph E. Davies

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:12 am

Different words have different meaning, different import, spring from different memories, evoke different ideas.

We think with words. We emote with words.

That is the power of words. Pay close attention to them. Knowing nothing ....says a lot about you. Knowing too little, says alot about all of us.

Denying-History
Veteran Poster

Postby Denying-History » Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:21 am

Except nether have anything to do with what I was recalling. They were just something demeaning you, so sure wording is important but they both more or less are generally used to say the same thing: “This person has no idea what they are talking about”.

You can have some understanding on a topic and still be accused of not knowing or knowing very little (ignorance). To play word games is little more then samantics.

And to say it again, this has no baring on you posting I’ll-informed comments, denying that you actually claimed something, and then in the aftermath (months later) start a thread to try and rile people’s nerves. Still says the same in the end, no one (specifically two people) really knows why you are allowed to post in this sub-board.
Joseph E. Davies

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:33 am

so sure wording is important but
but me no buts.

both more or less are generally used to say the same thing
Yes, that is correct: the More or the Less. You want to focus on the More and ignore the Less. That is the dodge: not taking responsibility for what you post or remembering what was actually said through your filter of first reactions and the memory thereof. More or Less.

“This person has no idea what they are talking about”.
Ha, ha....and you are back to square one.

To play word games is little more then samantics.
another dodge. Own what you say.

And to say it again, this has no baring on you posting I’ll-informed comments, denying that you actually claimed something,
.....that moves on to the benefits/requirements of copy and paste, which I think you started doing above....defectively, but its still a start. Looks like we will get to that fairly soon.

Screw by screw. Do you see RIGHT HERE: your refusal to admit to mistakes? Just Look. Its not hard: just admit it, learn what you want to from it, and go forward. Not even a black mark, but a LEARNING experience. Lots of knowledge gain when recognizing a mistake, a better way to look at things. Nothing gained, when refusing to do so.

Denying-History
Veteran Poster

Postby Denying-History » Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:12 am

“both more or less are generally used to say the same thing”

Bobbo: “Yes, that is correct...”

And there the samantics end. Thanks for admitting your point is mute.

«And to say it again, this has no baring on you posting I’ll-informed comments, denying that you actually claimed something, and then in the aftermath (months later) start a thread to try and rile people’s nerves. Still says the same in the end, no one (specifically two people) really knows why you are allowed to post in this sub-board.» (copy and paste claim now substantiated)
Joseph E. Davies

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:19 am

dodging. Dishonest. Repetitive.

The argumentative paradigm is a dialectic. You are supposed to ADVANCE the argument, not chase your tail in a circle.

Try it.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:43 am

"Has the HD Forum become too insular?" would be close to right...but miss some of the secondary connotations of how it got this way.

gorgeous
Perpetual Poster

Postby gorgeous » Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:55 pm

yes I am 'hot'...still get 20 yr old guys hitting on me and stared at...so there..
Science Fundamentalism...is exactly what happens when there’s a significant, perceived ideological threat to one’s traditions and identity.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:07 pm

I hit on knotholes in two by fours. But I'm heavy into woodworking.

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 8K Posts

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:37 pm

gorgeous wrote:yes I am 'hot'...still get 20 yr old guys hitting on me and stared at...so there..

Are they real guys or guys from the 8th dimension?
A joke going around Moscow during The Great Terror:

The NKVD knocks on a door.
The inhabitants ask who it is.
“NKVD.”
“You’ve got the wrong apartment. The Communists are upstairs.”

gorgeous
Perpetual Poster

Postby gorgeous » Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:27 am

real...in past teachers, cops, priests.lesbians have hit on me, and bosses. ...
Science Fundamentalism...is exactly what happens when there’s a significant, perceived ideological threat to one’s traditions and identity.

Balmoral95
Veteran Poster

Postby Balmoral95 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:32 am

gorgeous wrote:real...in past teachers, cops, priests.lesbians have hit on me, and bosses. ...

Trump?

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Dostawca - sciany tekstu

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:11 am

gorgeous wrote:lesbians have hit on me. ...

Yeah me too
"It was still at the stage of clubs and fists, hurrah, tala"

Balmoral95
Veteran Poster

Postby Balmoral95 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:15 am

Statistical Mechanic wrote:
gorgeous wrote:lesbians have hit on me. ...

Yeah me too

Yo, Studly :mrgreen:

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:34 am

Tangential, but somehow fitting. Few days ago there was a clip of mudders doing their swamp buggy thing and the camera passed over a buxom gal with a tee shirt that said: "I wish these were brains."

Cracked me up. I wish that gal the best.

NathanC
Regular Poster

Postby NathanC » Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:17 pm

I still come here if there's something new or interesting that I would like to share, like a good book or some useful info in said books.

But of late I've been spending more time at twitter. That's where most of the deniers are, and being able to tell them what I really think about them - without being hamstrung by "rules- has been very liberating.

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:21 pm

I think the answer to why deniers left here, and where they went, is far less than "we cleaned their clocks" and far more "they went to Twitter where they can reach more people and where they are freer to fictionalize."

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: something

Postby scrmbldggs » Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:47 pm

StatMech, you do know Al Franken had to resign over a picture like that in your avatar?

Lard, save me from your followers.

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 8K Posts

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:14 pm

NathanC wrote:I still come here if there's something new or interesting that I would like to share, like a good book or some useful info in said books.

But of late I've been spending more time at twitter. That's where most of the deniers are, and being able to tell them what I really think about them - without being hamstrung by "rules- has been very liberating.

I look at Skeptics as a chance to share information that others might find useful and have discussions about the things I learn. Twitter is a fun diversion but good grief Twitter deniers are stupid.

“NKVD.”

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 8K Posts

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:16 pm

Statistical Mechanic wrote:I think the answer to why deniers left here, and where they went, is far less than "we cleaned their clocks" and far more "they went to Twitter where they can reach more people and where they are freer to fictionalize."

I get told forums are too limiting and the audience isn’t there. Most of the Twitter ones get by on silly internet memes and quote mining, it’s doubtful they really know anything about the subject. They aren’t like werd or been-there....which says a lot about both Twitter deniers and RODOH dwellers.

“NKVD.”

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:52 pm

scrmbldggs wrote:StatMech, you do know Al Franken had to resign over a picture like that in your avatar?

Ah I did not. My avatar uses an image of David Thomas. Aka Crocus Behemoth. I don’t think he’s ever been in trouble.

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 8K Posts

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:53 pm

It looks like he really needs a drink of water.

“NKVD.”

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:16 pm

scrmbldggs wrote:StatMech, you do know Al Franken had to resign over a picture like that in your avatar?

My recollection is that it was the picture of him ogling the female comic on his tour as she was asleep and he mimed grabbing her chestal area.

I dunno. I can see any "comedian" doing what he did. Time moves on. Not knowing what was going on in the background, I think I would have refused to step down voluntarily: "Grow Up, I have, now its your turn." Actually, still surprised he did, and not a peep since.

Weird.

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:24 pm

Jeffk 1970 wrote:It looks like he really needs a drink of water.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hj_79tIXFmQ

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:51 pm

Better, and in the rut off the tracks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmwqJfOd2v8

Balsamo
Frequent Poster

Postby Balsamo » Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:02 am

Ah I did not. My avatar uses an image of David Thomas. Aka Crocus Behemoth. I don’t think he’s ever been in trouble.

It is disgusting still.
Am i the only one who misses the 19th century Austrian physicist?

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:06 am

David Thomas is NOT disgusting; he was portly to be sure. But disgusting, naw.

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 8K Posts

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:35 am

Jeffk 1970 wrote:It looks like he really needs a drink of water.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hj_79tIXFmQ

I liked when the lead singer nonchalantly took his shoe off to adjust his sock. That was pure rock’n’roll.
:D

“NKVD.”

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 8K Posts

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:36 am

Balsamo wrote:

It is disgusting still.
Am i the only one who misses the 19th century Austrian physicist?

I liked the guy with the busted nose.

“NKVD.”

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 8K Posts

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:39 am

LOL
Thomas has a distinctive, high pitched voice; Emerson Dameron described Thomas's singing as "James Stewart trapped in an oboe",

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Thomas_(musician)

He does have an odd voice.

“NKVD.”

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:09 am

gorgeous wrote:yes I am 'hot'...still get 20 yr old guys hitting on me and stared at...so there..

As you were /are a member of the 1963 Seth cult, run by Jane Roberts and a male, in his 70's I find that very hard to believe. :lol:

This is Jane Roberts Channeling "Seth" in 1974 before the cult collapsed in the 80s.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRG-IR3aqec

(Even more entertainingly, Gorgeous has previously posted that he lived in West Germany with his father, who was a "top secret" NSA officer. A little bit of research details how crap this story is. Gorgeous is just an old lonely person, from Pasadena, seeking attention)
gorgeous wrote:dad worked for the NSA...so...try again little boy...

viewtopic.php?f=39&t=27757&p=556587&hilit=Berlin#p556580
Last edited by Matthew Ellard on Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:17 am, edited 2 times in total.

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: something

Postby scrmbldggs » Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:16 am

I can totally see that "stared at" thing happening. :laff:

Lard, save me from your followers.

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:35 am

Jeffk 1970 wrote:LOL
Thomas has a distinctive, high pitched voice; Emerson Dameron described Thomas's singing as "James Stewart trapped in an oboe",

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Thomas_(musician)

He does have an odd voice.

That is such a great description of Thomas' singing. IIRC he's a Jehovah's Witness to boot. Pere Ubu, one of my favorite bands. Here are two more:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NN9VjGMlME

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:36 am

Jeffk 1970 wrote:I liked the guy with the busted nose.

That was a Bruce Gilden photo; he's quite controversial. A bit obnoxious actually.

Return to “Holocaust, Genocide, and Mass Violence”