Yes, Rudolf Hoess Understood English

Holocaust denial and related subjects.
Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 7K Posts

Yes, Rudolf Hoess Understood English

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Fri May 18, 2018 5:11 pm

Van Pelt reminded me of something so I wanted to bring it up.

One of the things Holocaust deniers harp on is that Hoess signed an affidavit written in English on April 5th, 1946 (Van Pelt specifically mentions David Irving but I know I saw it on FG’s blog. She probably quoted Irving because she is a big fan but I’ve seen it in other places). The Tribunal heard extracts of it on April 15th, 1946.

Irving states that Hoess did not understand English, see Van Pelt, the Case for Auschwitz, page 276 (my copy).

In fact Hoess learned English while in prison for murder during the 1920’s:

...In my free time I eagerly studied English. I even had textbooks sent to me. Later I had them regularly send me books and magazines in English, so that in about a year I learned this language without anyone helping me. This was terrific discipline for my mind.

Van Pelt footnotes that to page 74 in “Death Dealer,” I’ll try and drag my copy out this weekend and try and pull more information.

I know deniers fled here a long time ago but I know many of us remain active in whacking deniers in other places.
“Today I saw one of those places, saw it in all of its horror, all its filth, all its death.”
Soldier entering the Ohrdruf Concentration Camp.

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Dostawca - sciany tekstu

Re: Yes, Rudolf Hoess Understood English

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Fri May 18, 2018 5:41 pm

From the way Höss describes it, he was fairly well into it:

No idea if he kept up with English except for this from p 154, where according to the footnote the phrase "My country, right or wrong" was written by Höss in English.

I always thought that this expression was American, originating a bit differently with Stephen Decatur, then picked up by others.
You know, my dear Colonel General, I don't really believe that the Russians will attack at all. It's all an enormous bluff. - Heinrich Himmler to Heinz Guderian, December 1944

BRoI
Poster

Postby BRoI » Fri May 18, 2018 9:24 pm

theblackrabbitofinlé 06.06.14 wrote:
As Thomas Harding revealed, and I've subsequently checked, Hoess' SS file does state that he spoke English. A barely decipherable "englisch" is handwritten on a questionnaire completed by Hoess, which also states, by default, that he had no notable ability as a translator. [...]

There certainly are questions about Hoess' supposed mastery (beherrschen) of spoken and written English: Goldensohn in The Nuremberg Interviews states that "Mr. Triest, the interpreter" accompanied him into Hoess' cell; Hoess' confessions of March 16 and 20, 1946, both in English, state that their contents were read to Hoess in German by Captain A. Vollmar; Hoess wore headphones so he could listen to a translation of questions put to him in English by Colonel Amen during the IMT—giving all his answers in German, and finally, a translator was always present for his Nuremberg interrogations. He was given a copy of PS-3868 to "read," on April 5, but the interpretor (Mr Sonnenfeldt) had to translate Bookhart's instructions to Hoess to read it!

theblackrabbitofinlé 28.08.16 wrote:
The only bit I didn't know about when I made that post but I did mention in my recent post, was the following from the 01.04.46 interrogation:

JAARI: Do you speak English?

HOESS: I understand some. [...]

click to enlarge

"I believe that when the history of the [Great] war comes to be impartially written, the two greatest results will be the establishment of the national Jewish home and the creation of the League of Nations. The two are not really disconnected. They represent the two great ideas for which we fought and by which we conquered—the ideas of nationalism and internationalism."
- Robert Cecil, 1st Viscount Cecil of Chelwood, March 1923.

BRoI
Poster

Postby BRoI » Fri May 18, 2018 10:36 pm

British War Crimes investigators amassed c.500 affidavits in English from survivors at Belsen. Most of these witnesses wouldn't have known any English.

Major Smallwood instigated the collecting of affidavits, and later testified at the Lueneburg-Belsen trial about the method he used:

The procedure, speaking for myself, was that I took rough notes as we went along and the witness went away and I put those notes into ordinary affidavit form. The witness then came back and the affidavit was read out to her and translated in my presence by the interpreter. Sometimes small alterations were made then the witness was sworn and signed it.

- The Trial of Josef Kramer and Forty Four Others, Ninth Day, Wednesday, 26th September, 1945
"I believe that when the history of the [Great] war comes to be impartially written, the two greatest results will be the establishment of the national Jewish home and the creation of the League of Nations. The two are not really disconnected. They represent the two great ideas for which we fought and by which we conquered—the ideas of nationalism and internationalism."

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Fri May 18, 2018 11:06 pm

BRoI wrote:British War Crimes investigators amassed c.500 affidavits in English from survivors at Belsen. Most of these witnesses wouldn't have known any English.

Major Smallwood instigated the collecting of affidavits, and later testified at the Lueneburg-Belsen trial about the method he used:

The procedure, speaking for myself, was that I took rough notes as we went along and the witness went away and I put those notes into ordinary affidavit form. The witness then came back and the affidavit was read out to her and translated in my presence by the interpreter. Sometimes small alterations were made then the witness was sworn and signed it.

- The Trial of Josef Kramer and Forty Four Others, Ninth Day, Wednesday, 26th September, 1945

Wow, that's absolutely fascinating, Rabbit, but has not a damn thing to do with Hoess.
“Today I saw one of those places, saw it in all of its horror, all its filth, all its death.”

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Fri May 18, 2018 11:13 pm

BRoI wrote:
theblackrabbitofinlé 06.06.14 wrote:
As Thomas Harding revealed, and I've subsequently checked, Hoess' SS file does state that he spoke English. A barely decipherable "englisch" is handwritten on a questionnaire completed by Hoess, which also states, by default, that he had no notable ability as a translator. [...]

There certainly are questions about Hoess' supposed mastery (beherrschen) of spoken and written English: Goldensohn in The Nuremberg Interviews states that "Mr. Triest, the interpreter" accompanied him into Hoess' cell; Hoess' confessions of March 16 and 20, 1946, both in English, state that their contents were read to Hoess in German by Captain A. Vollmar; Hoess wore headphones so he could listen to a translation of questions put to him in English by Colonel Amen during the IMT—giving all his answers in German, and finally, a translator was always present for his Nuremberg interrogations. He was given a copy of PS-3868 to "read," on April 5, but the interpretor (Mr Sonnenfeldt) had to translate Bookhart's instructions to Hoess to read it!

theblackrabbitofinlé 28.08.16 wrote:
The only bit I didn't know about when I made that post but I did mention in my recent post, was the following from the 01.04.46 interrogation:

JAARI: Do you speak English?

HOESS: I understand some. [...]

click to enlarge

Again, absolutely fascinating except that I never said anything about Hoess "mastering" English. Hoess himself says that learned it while in prison. Hoess spoke about his need to stay busy in prison, he took that idea with him to the concentration camps, keeping the inmates busy. Of course, I'd take a Weimar prison cell any day of the week than the private pockets of hell the SS created during the war.

There's no reason to think that Hoess couldn't understand English well enough to understand what was written.

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Fri May 18, 2018 11:21 pm

Jeffk 1970 wrote:Wow, that's absolutely fascinating, Rabbit

I suppose, if one is really bored.
You know, my dear Colonel General, I don't really believe that the Russians will attack at all. It's all an enormous bluff. - Heinrich Himmler to Heinz Guderian, December 1944

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Fri May 18, 2018 11:29 pm

Statistical Mechanic wrote:
Jeffk 1970 wrote:Wow, that's absolutely fascinating, Rabbit

I suppose, if one is really bored.

What, you didn't find the Rabbit's pointless BS earth shattering? I myself say here in stunned amazement at the pointless, useless, mind-numbing tidbits of information that undoubtedly took hours for him to unearth.

BRoI
Poster

Postby BRoI » Sat May 19, 2018 12:32 am

:lol:

BRoI
Poster

Postby BRoI » Sat May 19, 2018 12:35 am

Again, absolutely fascinating except that I never said anything about Hoess "mastering" English.

I was referring to a document in his SS personnel file.

Balmoral95
Frequent Poster

Postby Balmoral95 » Sat May 19, 2018 1:00 am

BRoI wrote:
Again, absolutely fascinating except that I never said anything about Hoess "mastering" English.

I was referring to a document in his SS personnel file.

Which is irrelevant.

BRoI
Poster

Postby BRoI » Sat May 19, 2018 1:24 am

Hoess could probably read English to some degree but understood little spoken English. Considering how he claims to have learnt English this seems the most likely. His claim, on the questionnaire in his SS file, to have *mastered* English appears to have been a boast.

Regardless of whether Hoess' English reading capability allowed him to fully comprehend PS-3868, the interrogation transcript reveals it was "read into the record" by Brookhart, and there's no reason to suspect Sonnenfeldt didn't provide running translation for Hoess.

Balmoral95
Frequent Poster

Postby Balmoral95 » Sat May 19, 2018 2:04 am

Hoess could probably read English to some degree but understood little spoken English.

Not entirely unlike some people reading written History to some extent but understood little written History.

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Sat May 19, 2018 2:21 am

Good, then I’m glad we have that settled.

BRoI
Poster

Postby BRoI » Sat May 19, 2018 5:29 am

Yes, settled, thanks to me. The other posters were only able to cite his memoirs, like we were still living in the 1990s, and reacted to my additional sources with displays of conniption that would embarrass a toddler.

Balmoral95
Frequent Poster

Postby Balmoral95 » Sat May 19, 2018 6:21 am

Right....

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Sat May 19, 2018 7:54 am

BRoI wrote:Yes, settled, thanks to me. The other posters were only able to cite his memoirs, like we were still living in the 1990s, and reacted to my additional sources with displays of conniption that would embarrass a toddler.

Well, Rabbit, the issue is we are never quite sure if you are being helpful or just being annoying. The Belsen bit was pointless, the other information was valid.

Sergey_Romanov
Poster

Postby Sergey_Romanov » Sat May 19, 2018 12:08 pm

There's no question he understood English, it's in his file:

http://web.archive.org/web/200010020309 ... os4z3.html

BRoI
Poster

Postby BRoI » Sat May 19, 2018 7:38 pm

Sergey_Romanov wrote:There's no question he understood English, it's in his file:

His SS file has already been addressed on this thread. Although one poster insists it's "irrelevant"!

There's a far more important document in his file than the one you link, a questionnaire completed by Hoess on 2 November 1936 or 1938.

As detailed above, numerous incidents show that Hoess obviously didn't understand much spoken English. He even said so:

Interrogation 01.04.46 wrote:JAARI: Do you speak English?

HOESS: I understand some.

In '36 or '38, Hoess exaggerated his ability in, what was effectively, a job application form.

Hoess taught himself to read English to some degree, so he would have understood the contents of PS-3868. But the whole *confession in English* argument is irrelevant as Sonnenfeldt would have translated what Brookhart was saying as the latter read the statement before Hoess read and signed it.

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Sat May 19, 2018 8:37 pm

So, what it boils down to is David Irving didn’t bother to research if Hoess understood English or not. I have no idea if he ever changed his position on that.

BRoI
Poster

Postby BRoI » Sun May 20, 2018 3:47 am

Richard Evans wrote:
Irving, Nürnberg: die letzte Schlacht (Tübingen, 1996), pp. 313-21; Faurisson, "How the British Obtained the Confessions of Rudolf Höss," JHR, vol. 7, no. 4 (Winter 1986-87), pp. 389-403, both reporting, for example, that Höss, the commandant of Auschwitz, knew no English, although his memoirs proved in fact that he did.
- Richard Evans, Lying About Hitler: History, Holocaust, and the David Irving Trial, New York: Basic Books, 2001, p.291

Sir Richard Evans, lying about Faurisson.

Faurisson did not claim Hoess "knew no English" in the cited article, he actually wrote [p.390]:

An affidavit signed 22 days later on 5 April 1946. It is a typed text, 2¼ pages long, written in English. That is surprising: thereby Höss signed a declaration under oath, not in his own language but in that of his guards.
In order to hide the fact that Höss had signed an affidavit that was in English when it ought to have been in his own language, German, [...]

BRoI
Poster

Postby BRoI » Sun May 20, 2018 4:18 am

Sir Richard Evans, telling lies about Faurisson.

For the British edition, Sir Richard rephrased and added a citation for his Hoess memoirs claim. Obviously didn't bother checking whether his Faurisson claim was even accurate.

Richard Evans wrote:
Irving, Nürnberg: die letzte Schlacht (Tübingen, 1996), pp. 313-21; Faurisson, 'How the British obtained the confessions of Rudolf Höss,' JHR, Vol. 7, No. 4 (Winter, 1986-7), pp. 389-403, both reporting for example that Höss, the Commandant of Auschwitz, knew no English, though in his memoirs he noted that he did: see Rudolf Hoess, Commandant of Auschuitz [sic] (London, 1961), p.59.
- Richard Evans, Telling Lies About Hitler: History, Holocaust, and the David Irving Trial, London: Verso, 2002, p.299

Denying-History
Frequent Poster

Postby Denying-History » Sun May 20, 2018 5:20 am

Hardly see anyone who would really care... We know he spoke English, who really cares if Evens accidentally misrepresented Faurisson in passing? This footnote is concerned primarily with Irving and his citing of this essay. “Irving made use of an article by Faurisson in the Journal of Historical Review in his book on Nuremberg” (2001, p.145) It’s possible that Evens interpreted what Faurisson was claiming from Irving. Really don’t have the time currently to double check if what Evens says is correct with regard to Irving, but Irving’s Nuremberg book from memory can be downloaded from his website. PC is out for the next 2-4 weeks so probably this will be my only post in this thread.
« I want people to experience exactly what it meant to enter a gas chamber at Auschwitz, I want them to walk down the stairs into the chamber, to stand before the ovens and see that this was insane and criminal. I want it to be a slap in the face. You can’t create memory, but you can create an experience that is as powerful as memory. »
- Jean Claude Pressac

Sergey_Romanov
Poster

Postby Sergey_Romanov » Sun May 20, 2018 5:24 am

BRoI wrote:
Sergey_Romanov wrote:There's no question he understood English, it's in his file:

His SS file has already been addressed on this thread.

In this thread and in many other threads (albeit not necessarily here), which, I suppose, had happened long before you even became interested in such historical topics.

BRoI
Poster

Postby BRoI » Sun May 20, 2018 5:38 am

In his report for the trial, Evans made no false accusation about Faurisson having claimed Hoess "knew no English". Evans doesn't even mention that particular Faurisson article.

Evans did make the following claiming though:

Evans Report: 3.4(d)35 wrote:
His memoirs reveal that he [Hoess] did in fact know English, having learned it in Palestine and improved it during his imprisonment under the Weimar Republic.[124]

124. [Rudolf] Höss, Commandant [of Auschwitz. The Autobiography of Rudolf Höss (translated by Constantine Fitzgibbon, paperback edition, London, 1961)], p. 59.

Sir Richard Evans, lying about Hoess.

The only things Hoess claimed to have learnt in Palestine were a) the locals ripped off pilgrims by selling them fake relics; b) he wasn't interested in sex if it wasn't with someone he loved; c) what qualities make a good leader. Hoess made no claims about having studied any language whilst he was in Palestine.

BRoI
Poster

Postby BRoI » Sun May 20, 2018 5:52 am

Sergey_Romanov wrote:
BRoI wrote:His SS file has already been addressed on this thread.

In this thread and in many other threads (albeit not necessarily here), which, I suppose, had happened long before you even became interested in such historical topics.

I was referring specifically to the document that features his English claim.

Can you post links to any forum post dated prior to August 2014 which cites his SS file for evidence of his English?

BRoI
Poster

Postby BRoI » Sun May 20, 2018 5:56 am

Denying-History wrote:PC is out for the next 2-4 weeks so probably this will be my only post in this thread.

Pity, we'll miss your unevidenced assertions.

Denying-History
Frequent Poster

Postby Denying-History » Sun May 20, 2018 6:07 am

BRoI wrote:
Denying-History wrote:PC is out for the next 2-4 weeks so probably this will be my only post in this thread.

Pity, we'll miss your unevidenced assertions.
Yes... because pointing out that literally no one here - except the local nitpick - cares about a passing comment on Faurisson really needs a well documented source backing it up doesn't it? And the comments above totally don't show how little people care for your current revelations - that as Sergey pointed out - are not new.

And unsourced assertions, like the one where I literally quoted the passage that the footnote concerned - what a strange thing a source was there - and it showed what I was saying, that the comment on Faurisson was little more then a passing comment and of little relevance.
Last edited by Denying-History on Sun May 20, 2018 6:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
« I want people to experience exactly what it meant to enter a gas chamber at Auschwitz, I want them to walk down the stairs into the chamber, to stand before the ovens and see that this was insane and criminal. I want it to be a slap in the face. You can’t create memory, but you can create an experience that is as powerful as memory. »
- Jean Claude Pressac

Sergey_Romanov
Poster

Postby Sergey_Romanov » Sun May 20, 2018 6:24 am

BRoI wrote:
Sergey_Romanov wrote:
BRoI wrote:His SS file has already been addressed on this thread.

I was referring specifically to the document that features his English claim.

Can you post links to any forum post dated prior to August 2014 which cites his SS file for evidence of his English?

I wouldn't have to even if the forum were still available.

BRoI
Poster

Postby BRoI » Sun May 27, 2018 8:54 pm

Ian Baxter claiming Hoess didn't speak English in his 2008 book The Commandant: Rudolf Höss, the Creator of Auschwitz:

p.180 wrote:
On 5 April, Höss was interrogated yet again. On this occasion, he revealed that, judging by the figures he had obtained from Eichmann, he had ordered the deaths of some 2,500,000 victims, while at least another 500,000 prisoners had died from illness and exhaustion during his time in command. The American officers produced a three-page affidavit, which they had typed themselves, and Höss was instructed to sign it. The affidavit was written in English, a language Höss didn't speak, so he insisted that it be translated into German. On 8 April, the prosecutors grudgingly handed him a translated document to sign.

Baxter clearly relied enormously on Irving's Nuremberg: The Last Battle [1996]. Yet he never cites it, not even when parroting information exclusively published therein; it doesn't even feature in Baxter's bibliography.

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Sun May 27, 2018 9:32 pm

BRoI wrote:Ian Baxter claiming Hoess didn't speak English in his 2008 book The Commandant: Rudolf Höss, the Creator of Auschwitz:

p.180 wrote:
On 5 April, Höss was interrogated yet again. On this occasion, he revealed that, judging by the figures he had obtained from Eichmann, he had ordered the deaths of some 2,500,000 victims, while at least another 500,000 prisoners had died from illness and exhaustion during his time in command. The American officers produced a three-page affidavit, which they had typed themselves, and Höss was instructed to sign it. The affidavit was written in English, a language Höss didn't speak, so he insisted that it be translated into German. On 8 April, the prosecutors grudgingly handed him a translated document to sign.

Baxter clearly relied enormously on Irving's Nuremberg: The Last Battle [1996]. Yet he never cites it, not even when parroting information exclusively published therein; it doesn't even feature in Baxter's bibliography.

Other than that, is the book any good?

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Sun May 27, 2018 10:26 pm

Ah, the "book a month club."

Balmoral95
Frequent Poster

Postby Balmoral95 » Sun May 27, 2018 10:33 pm

BRoI wrote:Ian Baxter claiming Hoess didn't speak English in his 2008 book The Commandant: Rudolf Höss, the Creator of Auschwitz:

p.180 wrote:

How can it be if it "relies heavily" on Irving? :mrgreen:

BRoI
Poster

Postby BRoI » Mon May 28, 2018 11:14 pm

Jeffk 1970 wrote:Other than that, is the book any good?

Baxter's Hoess biography was considered important—if only in the rev/anti-rev sphere—solely for the quotes from Hoess' arrest report and a later account of his capture, both authored by Victor Cross.

The latter had previously been quoted by Lawrence-Rees [2005] in a horrendously garbled fashion. Rees doesn't frame for his readers what he's quoting from, although he did possess the grace to mention: "This pioneering research was conducted by David List of the BBC History Unit".

Three years later, Baxter was the first to partially quote both documents and, importantly, explain what he was quoting from. Baxter made serious errors with these documents though, he muddles them up.

If you want to read an important study on Hoess: Carlo Mattogno's recent study is the most comprehensive collection of Hoess related documentation ever published, by a country mile.
http://holocausthandbooks.com/dl/35-coa.pdf

BRoI
Poster

Postby BRoI » Tue May 29, 2018 12:08 am

Statistical Mechanic wrote:Ah, the "book a month club."

Had to google the phrase:
http://www.childrensbookworld.net/book-a-month-club/

Baxter's Treblinka study is cited by Caroline Sturdy-Colls, Holocaust Archaeologies [2015], and mentioned in HC's "White Paper".

Why would HC mention a study of Treblinka by an author, by SM's estimations, of *children's book*?

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Tue May 29, 2018 12:16 am

BRoI wrote:
If you want to read an important study on Hoess: Carlo Mattogno's recent study is the most comprehensive collection of Hoess related documentation ever published, by a country mile.

Thanks but I no longer read HH, life is too short. No doubt Mattogno put a fascinating spin on said documents.

As for the book of the month club, I believe that referred to the book of the month club at RODOH.

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Tue May 29, 2018 12:51 am

Jeffk 1970 wrote:
BRoI wrote:

Thanks but I no longer read HH, life is too short. No doubt Mattogno put a fascinating spin on said documents.

As for the book of the month club, I believe that referred to the book of the month club at RODOH.

Naw, it referred to the industrial rate at which Mr Baxter has churned out books (albeit exaggerating a bit). Just replaced "of the" in "book of the month club" (I was thinking of the real one, not the Rodoh knock-off) with an "a." I tried reading one of Baxter's books and it was god-awful.

BRoI
Poster

Postby BRoI » Tue May 29, 2018 2:13 am

Jeffk 1970 wrote:
BRoI wrote:If you want to read an important study on Hoess: Carlo Mattogno's recent study is the most comprehensive collection of Hoess related documentation ever published, by a country mile.

You lack the... necessary attributes to realise why Mattogno's studies are collected by institutions such as Princeton, the USHMM, and the Wiener Library.

Hans Metzner, 18 August 2012 wrote:
[...] Carlo Mattogno's works are full of useful evidence for the Holocaust - testimonies, documents, photographs. One could make a solid case of, say mass extermination in Auschwitz just citing from his own books.

For anybody, who is engaging in debating Holocaust deniers and who cannot go to Eastern European archives himself to obtain and translate testimonies and documents, his free books are a real treasure - if you just get used to his lousy analysis in between the sources.

http://holocaustcontroversies.blogspot.co.uk/2012/08/the-auschwitz-open-air-incineration.html?showComment=1345302593887#c7969496228171369216

Roberto Muehlenkamp, 25 November 2017 wrote:
Whatever can be said against the world’s foremost Revisionist scholar, Carlo Mattogno, it’s not that he doesn’t provide lots of evidence regarding NS crimes. This makes his books a useful (though far from complete) collection of evidentiary sources, if you only ignore Mattogno’s arguments in between quotes, which are usually not the most intelligent.

https://holocaustcontroversies.blogspot.co.uk/2017/11/mattogno-on-mass-graves-at-ponary-part-1_25.html

Jeffk 1970 wrote:As for the book of the month club, I believe that referred to the book of the month club at RODOH.
*sighs*

Balmoral95
Frequent Poster

Postby Balmoral95 » Tue May 29, 2018 2:17 am

And you lack the necessary attributes to even comment here, you ignorant, arrogant twot.

BRoI
Poster

Postby BRoI » Tue May 29, 2018 2:33 am

The talentless, elderly drunkard is back, having recovered from typing out his longest ever post. A post entirely about me.
:lol:

Return to “Holocaust Denial”