The History of the Israeli-Palestinian Conflict

Discussions
bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Custom Title: bobbo da existential pragmatist

Re: The History of the Israeli-Palestinian Conflict

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:53 am

Jeffk 1970 wrote: Can you write a sentence.....without doing that?

is just silly. You "objectively speaking" have thrown yourself off the subject.

Just look.

Learn how to present your self more intelligently.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 8K Posts

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:07 pm

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote: Can you write a sentence.....without doing that?
is just silly. You "objectively speaking" have thrown yourself off the subject.

No, you threw me off the subject with your jibber-jabber.

Just look.

At what?

Learn how to present your self more intelligently.

Take your own advice.
A joke going around Moscow during The Great Terror:

The NKVD knocks on a door.
The inhabitants ask who it is.
“NKVD.”
“You’ve got the wrong apartment. The Communists are upstairs.”

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:11 pm

Just look. At whats right in front of you. Your own life. Your own thoughts. Maybe, squint with one eye. See what works.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 8K Posts

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:06 pm

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:Just look. At whats right in front of you. Your own life. Your own thoughts. Maybe, squint with one eye. See what works.

What works is me having you on ignore. That’s where you will stay.

“NKVD.”

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:52 pm

Heh, heh. The Ostrich Defense..........and if you close your eyes, I disappear. .................Oh.............noooooooooo.

childish to take an opportunity to learn and improve one's self as an insult.

But, that how it goes in the HD subforum.

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 8K Posts

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:00 am

“NKVD.”

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:16 am

FTL:
Israel has remained defiant amid criticism of its use of force, saying at least 10 of the 31 people shot dead over the past week are known militants.
Hmmm....I doubt they were "known" as such prior to them being shot...to whatever difference that makes.

and yet..........==>

The Israeli military had dropped leaflets in the lead-up to the protest instructing Palestinians to stay at least 300 meters (328 yards) away from the fence and warning live ammunition would be used.
So....I assume those shot were within those 300 meters?

Protesters v Armed Troops. I wouldn't risk my life for a mere "protest."....and reporting on it strikes me as a useless exercise. As usual: more questions than answers....such is the reportage commonly seen today.

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 8K Posts

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Mon May 14, 2018 4:53 pm

Only Thud can fix it:
https://www.cnn.com/2018/05/14/politics/jerusalem-us-embassy-trump-intl/index.html

So, I guess the expectation is that the Palestinians would simply accept this without protest.

All of this blood is on Trump’s tiny hands.

“NKVD.”

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 8K Posts

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Mon May 14, 2018 5:01 pm

The good thing is he saved money....on the front end. He’ll ignore the fact that inevitably more money will be spent.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/05/12/politics/trump-jerusalem-embassy-cost/index.html

“NKVD.”

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Mon May 14, 2018 5:18 pm

The Palestinians protest/riot/revolt and are shot by Israelis......so the blood is on Trump???

What percent?

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 8K Posts

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Wed May 16, 2018 3:51 am

I just posted this in the Trump thread, it also belongs here.

This is a shift:
https://www.cnn.com/2018/05/15/politics/democrats-views-on-israel-shifting/index.html

I struggle with this issue. I have no objections to Israel or it’s existence. But I also advocate a two-state solution. I opposed the move of the embassy to Jerusalem, I knew what that would mean in spreading unrest in the region.

I also understand that the Palestinians have inflicted damage upon themselves. That in no way justifies the deaths of those Palestinians in Gaza. I also look with trepidation with the drift to the right in Israeli politics.

“NKVD.”

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Wed May 16, 2018 6:51 am

Ha, ha........poor Jeffk. Can't tell {!#%@} from shinola. What you have to do is "pick a side" or understand the controlling reality and recognize it comes with CONSEQUENCES that can't be avoided.

"I have no objections to Israel or it’s existence. But I also advocate a two-state solution." ///// Well.....you can't have both. "I want my cake, but I don't want the calories" says every overweight bozo on Earth.

"I also understand that the Palestinians have inflicted damage upon themselves. That in no way justifies the deaths of those Palestinians in Gaza." //// Of course it does. The calories othewise is to let them walk into Israel and take their land back.

Stupid sloppy thinking. ==> Its what leads to War. Everyone denying the reality of the forces at play and talking out of both sides of their mouth. Moving the embassy of course will be used as justification for whatever people think gives them an advantage...........but..........its "reality."

History hoses a lot of people and their dreams. This causes lots of people to make their own lives more miserable than they need to be....... looking at the past and what will never be...... rather than dealing with reality. Its the rule rather than the exception.

Im_Not_Creative_Enough
Poster

Postby Im_Not_Creative_Enough » Thu May 17, 2018 1:34 pm

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 8K Posts

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Thu May 17, 2018 2:09 pm

And?
I am seeing this more.

Here’s what I want to know:

Were they armed? Were they threatening Israeli soldiers at that time? Was the use of deadly force necessary?

I’m not going to shed tears over members of a terrorist organization that tried to kill or injure Israeli soldiers.

“NKVD.”

Im_Not_Creative_Enough
Poster

Postby Im_Not_Creative_Enough » Thu May 17, 2018 2:45 pm

Jeffk 1970 wrote:

And?
I am seeing this more.

Were they armed? Were they threatening Israeli soldiers at that time? Was the use of deadly force necessary?

I’m not going to shed tears over members of a terrorist organization that tried to kill or injure Israeli soldiers.

They are a threat to Israel by simply being Hamas members.
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 8K Posts

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Thu May 17, 2018 2:57 pm

Im_Not_Creative_Enough wrote:
Jeffk 1970 wrote:

And?
I am seeing this more.

The Nazis thought all Jews were a threat by simply being Jews.

See how dangerous that thinking is?

“NKVD.”

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Thu May 17, 2018 3:36 pm

Jeffk 1970 wrote: The Nazis thought all Jews were a threat by simply being Jews.

Not if you think past your first knee jerk reaction. Ahem:

Hamas: a political/advocacy group formed for the express purpose to remove Israel from the map.

Jews in Pre-War Europe: a diverse mix of people with no other commonality except some connection to a religion.

See the difference?

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 8K Posts

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Thu May 17, 2018 4:30 pm

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:
Jeffk 1970 wrote: The Nazis thought all Jews were a threat by simply being Jews.

Hamas: a political/advocacy group formed for the express purpose to remove Israel from the map.

Jews in Pre-War Europe: a diverse mix of people with no other commonality except some connection to a religion.

See the difference?

I really don’t know why you are quoting me. I have you on ignore and that will continue.

But.......

The issue is saying that being a member of Hamas is enough to justify killing them. The equivalent is saying that every person who served in the SS or Waffen-SS deserves to be prosecuted for a crime. The point is being a member of an organization doesn’t automatically make you guilty of something. There are a lot of reasons why people join political organizations and you acknowledge that Hamas is also a political organization.

If I’m a disaffected Palestinian pissed off at Israel then Hamas (or other organizations) look attractive to me. That doesn’t mean that I’m going to shoot at Israeli soldiers or bomb children.

Also, this is very unclear....the stories I read about the alleged dead Hamas members comes from a single source. I’m not saying it’s wrong, I’m saying I want more information.

Now piss off.

“NKVD.”

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Thu May 17, 2018 5:43 pm

Jeffk 1970 wrote:

See the difference?

I really don’t know why you are quoting me.
/// Because those words contain the idea I wish to comment on. YOU are not the only reader on this forum. With no response from you (?), many passing by will think you have no case to make. 50% of the time when you do respond, you only prove it rather than invite the assumption.

I have you on ignore and that will continue.
That doesn't affect me at all........just you, and your ilk.

But.......
But me no buts. On edit for your future book, anything before a but should be deleted. It might clear up your thinking too.
The issue is saying that being a member of Hamas is enough to justify killing them. The equivalent is saying that every person who served in the SS or Waffen-SS deserves to be prosecuted for a crime.
No...read again until you realize that is the very point I am making. People have to join the Hamas and Nazis....the Jews are just a group. HUGE difference.

The point is being a member of an organization doesn’t automatically make you guilty of something
. Yes, it does. Guilty of joining that group and by reasonable assumption sharing the tenents and stated goals of such organizations. If you don't, you joined the wrong group.

There are a lot of reasons why people join political organizations and you acknowledge that Hamas is also a political organization.
/// You sound just like Trump now (as Ironically you so often do). There are some good American Nazi's.

If I’m a disaffected Palestinian pissed off at Israel then Hamas (or other organizations) look attractive to me.
Yes, that is exactly the point.

That doesn’t mean that I’m going to shoot at Israeli soldiers or bomb children
. Correct, you just give aid and comfort to those who do.

Also, this is very unclear....the stories I read about the alleged dead Hamas members comes from a single source. I’m not saying it’s wrong, I’m saying I want more information.
Get a double helping.

Now piss off.
forever why? Can't take an honest response?? Read and learn.

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 8K Posts

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Thu May 17, 2018 5:47 pm

Jeffk 1970 wrote:

See the difference?

I really don’t know why you are quoting me.
/// Because those words contain the idea I wish to comment on. YOU are not the only reader on this forum. With no response from you (?), many passing by will think you have no case to make. 50% of the time when you do respond, you only prove it rather than invite the assumption.

I have you on ignore and that will continue.
That doesn't affect me at all........just you, and your ilk.

But.......
But me no buts. On edit for your future book, anything before a but should be deleted. It might clear up your thinking too.
The issue is saying that being a member of Hamas is enough to justify killing them. The equivalent is saying that every person who served in the SS or Waffen-SS deserves to be prosecuted for a crime.
No...read again until you realize that is the very point I am making. People have to join the Hamas and Nazis....the Jews are just a group. HUGE difference.

The point is being a member of an organization doesn’t automatically make you guilty of something
. Yes, it does. Guilty of joining that group and by reasonable assumption sharing the tenents and stated goals of such organizations. If you don't, you joined the wrong group.

There are a lot of reasons why people join political organizations and you acknowledge that Hamas is also a political organization.
/// You sound just like Trump now (as Ironically you so often do). There are some good American Nazi's.

If I’m a disaffected Palestinian pissed off at Israel then Hamas (or other organizations) look attractive to me.
Yes, that is exactly the point.

That doesn’t mean that I’m going to shoot at Israeli soldiers or bomb children
. Correct, you just give aid and comfort to those who do.

Get a double helping.

Now piss off.
forever why? Can't take an honest response?? Read and learn.

You did a really crappy job replying to me. Learn how to edit so it’s easier to read, you messed up your quotes. I’m preserving it for posterity.

Piss off X2.

“NKVD.”

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 8K Posts

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Thu May 17, 2018 5:48 pm

As an aside, I enjoy being called an ilk.

“NKVD.”

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Thu May 17, 2018 5:49 pm

Not that hard to cipher. did make a minor correct that we may have criss-crossed.

Don't worry JeffK..........your insults mean nothing. One day, you may grow up enough to appreciate why.

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 8K Posts

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Thu May 17, 2018 5:52 pm

Wow, bobbo is still here.

Someone must really need some attention. Too bad I still have him on ignore and didn’t bother to read his post.

“NKVD.”

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Thu May 17, 2018 5:54 pm

ilk: A kind of person /// Fittingly, also a group one has to choose to join.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Thu May 17, 2018 5:55 pm

Ha, ha..........it just occurred to me. I also have everyone on ignore, but I respond to all replies as I notice them. People ignore different things.

Im_Not_Creative_Enough
Poster

Postby Im_Not_Creative_Enough » Thu May 17, 2018 8:36 pm

Jeffk 1970 wrote:
Im_Not_Creative_Enough wrote:
Jeffk 1970 wrote:

And?
I am seeing this more.

The Nazis thought all Jews were a threat by simply being Jews.

Well yeah, it's dangerous when you do this to an entire ethnic group consiting of millions.
My grandafther who fought against the nazis used to say that if every time when he was about to shoot an enemy soldier he would start thinking about wether this enemy soldier is an ACTUAL nazi fascist or just a poor soul forced into battle by the regime, he would have probably died in June 1941.

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 8K Posts

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Fri May 25, 2018 1:08 pm

This is just wrong:
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/israel-boycott-local-councils-public-bodies-and-student-unions-to-be-banned-from-shunning-israeli-a6874006.html

I find this extremely disturbing, why should anyone be forced to buy goods from a regime it considers distasteful?

“NKVD.”

Srebrenica

Postby Srebrenica » Fri May 25, 2018 6:26 pm

Hey Jeff - long time - yes I am - can't respond to your PM for some reason :-)

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 8K Posts

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Fri May 25, 2018 6:46 pm

Srebrenica wrote:Hey Jeff - long time - yes I am - can't respond to your PM for some reason :-)

Nice to have you here!!!!

“NKVD.”

Tallboy
Poster

Postby Tallboy » Fri May 25, 2018 7:10 pm

Jeffk 1970 wrote:This is just wrong:
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/israel-boycott-local-councils-public-bodies-and-student-unions-to-be-banned-from-shunning-israeli-a6874006.html

I find this extremely disturbing, why should anyone be forced to buy goods from a regime it considers distasteful?

Hi Jeff-- I think this article, at least from a US perspective, explains this:
http://www.tabletmag.com/jewish-news-an ... s-fund-bds

Best,
TB

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 8K Posts

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Fri May 25, 2018 7:25 pm

Tallboy wrote:

Best,
TB

Thank you.

“NKVD.”

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 8K Posts

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:37 pm

Female Muslim medic shot by Israeli snipers:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.timesofisrael.com/thousands-at-funeral-for-gaza-volunteer-medic-killed-on-israel-border/amp/

This is getting much coverage on Twitter, there are articles on the Washington Post and New York Times about it.

Unarmed personnel get shot, it is a tragedy.

The problem is this is turning into a PR nightmare for Israel. Bloatus didn’t help things by acknowledging Jerusalem as the Israel Capitol.

https://www.google.com/amp/thehill.com/policy/international/390347-us-vetoes-un-resolution-offering-protection-for-palestinians%3famp

I agree that Hamas needs to stop the rocket attacks.

“NKVD.”

Sergey_Romanov
Regular Poster

Postby Sergey_Romanov » Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:50 am

Tallboy wrote:

Best,
TB

This para stands out:
But if states can choose to not do business with South African companies because of their politics and practices, it also means they can choose to not do business with private companies because of other discriminatory policies—like a boycott of Israel.
However it also means that states wouldn't do business with the firms that boycotted the SA apartheid regime, had the law that Kontorovich drafted existed at the time. I think it shows the wrongness of such a law.

Tallboy
Poster

Postby Tallboy » Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:18 pm

Sergey_Romanov wrote:
Tallboy wrote:

Best,
TB

This para stands out:
But if states can choose to not do business with South African companies because of their politics and practices, it also means they can choose to not do business with private companies because of other discriminatory policies—like a boycott of Israel.
However it also means that states wouldn't do business with the firms that boycotted the SA apartheid regime, had the law that Kontorovich drafted existed at the time. I think it shows the wrongness of such a law.

Sergey-- I think this may address your concern here:
... The federal government and many states require contractors and subcontractors to not discriminate on, among other things, “the basis of sexual orientation or gender identity.” There is no doubt that the First Amendment protects a potential contractor’s belief that homosexuality is wicked behavior and even his decision to “boycott” gays. But as President Barack Obama said when signing the executive order prohibiting such discrimination in government contracts, the federal government is not required to “subsidize discrimination.”

Of course, some who oppose discrimination against gays may think boycotting Israel is more defensible. But First Amendment protection or lack thereof does not turn on the popularity or content of the relevant views.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:07 am

There is a Huuge difference in BANNING someone from boycotting vs not being allowed to contract with the Fed Gubment as a consequence.

The first should always be illegal as a violation of First Amendment, the Second is totally appropriate as a consequence of acting on your morals.

Mind the gap.

Tallboy
Poster

Postby Tallboy » Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:34 am

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:There is a Huuge difference in BANNING someone from boycotting vs not being allowed to contract with the Fed Gubment as a consequence.

The first should always be illegal as a violation of First Amendment, the Second is totally appropriate as a consequence of acting on your morals.

Mind the gap.

Well there is an argument to be made that govt should not get involved in regulating business conduct. But the way things stand govt bans all sorts of business conduct as free speech defends speech not conduct. Businesses are banned from discriminating based on gender, race, nationality or for paying below min wage. Businesses are also banned from trade with NK and Iran, etc. so govt banning boycotts is not unusual.

The argument as to whether govts should be able to regulate business conduct is interesting but beyond the scope of the current topic. Maybe a new thread?

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:55 am

Tallboy wrote: Well there is an argument to be made that govt should not get involved in regulating business conduct.
Wuttttt???? I've never heard of such a thing. The rules in place DEFINE THE MARKET. There is NO MARKET without rules.......whatever those rules are. If, more accurately you mean there are areas the gubment should not regulate, that is an entirely different issue..... wrong as well, but different.

Tallboy wrote: But the way things stand govt bans all sorts of business conduct as free speech defends speech not conduct.
Its a subtlety BUT gubment mostly does not regulate based on free speech BUT RATHER: the gubment regulates and it is attacked as violations of free speech. Close.....but again.... two different things. Speech and conduct as interpreted does have a lot of "overlap" as in calling the spending/contribution of Bucks a free speech issue. It goes case by case.

Tallboy wrote: Businesses are banned from discriminating based on gender, race, nationality or for paying below min wage. Businesses are also banned from trade with NK and Iran, etc. so govt banning boycotts is not unusual.
Imposing a country wide trade ban for a country is different than banning individual entities from refusing to trade with said countries or businesses within them. aka: government imposing boycotts is not the same thing as banning individuals from their decisions not to deal with the same countries or businesses within them. Its the difference between imposing a general negative vs denying the imposition of a specific negative. I know.... so very close.

Tallboy wrote: .... so govt banning boycotts is not unusual.
Hmmmm....instances of this do not come readily to mind. I am on the verge of boycotting Seagate Hard Drives and Rosewill Electronics for their lack of customer support. could that, should that be illegal?===========> really?

Tallboy wrote: The argument as to whether govts should be able to regulate business conduct is interesting but beyond the scope of the current topic. Maybe a new thread?
Topics go where they go. No boycotts.

Tallboy
Poster

Postby Tallboy » Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:03 am

Tallboy wrote: Well there is an argument to be made that govt should not get involved in regulating business conduct.
Wuttttt???? I've never heard of such a thing. The rules in place DEFINE THE MARKET. There is NO MARKET without rules.......whatever those rules are. If, more accurately you mean there are areas the gubment should not regulate, that is an entirely different issue..... wrong as well, but different.

Tallboy wrote: But the way things stand govt bans all sorts of business conduct as free speech defends speech not conduct.
Its a subtlety BUT gubment mostly does not regulate based on free speech BUT RATHER: the gubment regulates and it is attacked as violations of free speech. Close.....but again.... two different things. Speech and conduct as interpreted does have a lot of "overlap" as in calling the spending/contribution of Bucks a free speech issue. It goes case by case.

Tallboy wrote: Businesses are banned from discriminating based on gender, race, nationality or for paying below min wage. Businesses are also banned from trade with NK and Iran, etc. so govt banning boycotts is not unusual.
Imposing a country wide trade ban for a country is different than banning individual entities from refusing to trade with said countries or businesses within them. aka: government imposing boycotts is not the same thing as banning individuals from their decisions not to deal with the same countries or businesses within them. Its the difference between imposing a general negative vs denying the imposition of a specific negative. I know.... so very close.

Tallboy wrote: .... so govt banning boycotts is not unusual.
Hmmmm....instances of this do not come readily to mind. I am on the verge of boycotting Seagate Hard Drives and Rosewill Electronics for their lack of customer support. could that, should that be illegal?===========> really?

Tallboy wrote: The argument as to whether govts should be able to regulate business conduct is interesting but beyond the scope of the current topic. Maybe a new thread?
Topics go where they go. No boycotts.

Most if not all the arguments you’re making are addressed in the article I linked to:

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:09 am

I don't care what generic references are made.

Connect and argue your own dots.

Tallboy
Poster

Postby Tallboy » Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:36 am

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:I don't care what generic references are made.

Connect and argue your own dots.

The article is written by a constitutional law professor who helped S Carolina draft the anti boycott law. He addresses all your points. I would just be regurgitating his arguments which is tedious. If you read the article we could at least start from the same place.

Return to “Holocaust, Genocide, and Mass Violence”