Canada Commando

Holocaust denial and related subjects.
David Green

Canada Commando

Postby David Green » Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:16 am

Hello gentlemen,

I have been searching the Internet for information on the Auschwitz-Birkenau Canada commando and have drawn a blank for any detailed resources. Can anyone here recommend a good book on the subject? Were the various Canada Commandos liquidated from time to time like the Sonderkommandos? Is there a list of survivors from this commando?

Thanks in advance,

David

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 5K Posts

Re: Canada Commando

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:39 pm

David Green wrote:Hello gentlemen,

I have been searching the Internet for information on the Auschwitz-Birkenau Canada commando and have drawn a blank for any detailed resources. Can anyone here recommend a good book on the subject? Were the various Canada Commandos liquidated from time to time like the Sonderkommandos? Is there a list of survivors from this commando?

Thanks in advance,

David

Laurence Rees spent some time on the Canada commando in his book on Auschwitz. He never mentioned that they went through selections, they were generally healthier than the other prisoners because they had access to food from the goods they sorted.

I don't know about a list of survivors.

Statistical Mechanic
Has No Life
Custom Title: Dostawca - sciany tekstu

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:49 pm

Discussion of some sources for Kanada here as part of a thread on Kitty Hart, one of the Kanada workers. I'm not an expert on Auschwitz - according to the 5-volume camp history, as Jeffk says, Kanada was considered a better assignment due to indoor work, opportunities to organize, and lighter intensity of labor. Prisoners caught taking goods could, however, be shot on the spot. The members of the Kanada Kommando were not liquidated as were members of the SK. Kanada I was the main depot/sorting place until late 1943 when Kanada II in Birkenau BIIg was the main focus. During 1942-3 from there were 1000-1600 prisoners, men and women, assigned in two shifts working at the two sites. By October 1944, between 1500-2500 prisoners worked in Kanada II with (guessing) another 200-300 at Kanada I. Other sorting sites were used like a former tannery near the camp, which utilized 500 prisoner-laborers, and in various smaller sorting sites in Birkenau, using up to 300 prisoners during 1942-1943. In 1944 a number of places around the camp were used to sort luggage and specialty items; also food was taken to warehouses, referred to as Schebeck's Kanada, at the prisoners' kitchen and the best food and booze was sent to the SS warehouses.
"World peace is certainly an ideal worth striving for; in Hitler's opinion it will be realizable only when one power, the racially best one, has attained complete and uncontested supremacy. That can then provide a sort of world police, seeing to it at the same time that the most valuable race is guaranteed the necessary living space. And if no other way is open to them, the lower races will have to restrict themselves accordingly."

- Rudolf Hess, letter, 1927

Hans
Poster

Postby Hans » Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:33 pm

David, you can access the testimony of more than 80 Kanada-Kommando survivors at degob.org - mostly in Hungarian though (but you can use google translate to figure out what they talk about). Some time ago, I screened those for their knowledge on mass extermination in Auschwitz. I could provide you with the corresponding ref numbers if you are interested.

Shared knowledge of mass extermination among 80 Hungarian Jews employed in the Kanada detail

Statistical Mechanic
Has No Life
Custom Title: Dostawca - sciany tekstu

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:52 pm

nice, Hans, your graphs are always informative! I'd forgotten these - this morning before replying in this thread I searched HC for "Kanada" and didn't see this article . . . which I of course have bookmarked among too many bookmarks (it turns out it is in my "Hungary" not "Auschwitz" folder)!
"World peace is certainly an ideal worth striving for; in Hitler's opinion it will be realizable only when one power, the racially best one, has attained complete and uncontested supremacy. That can then provide a sort of world police, seeing to it at the same time that the most valuable race is guaranteed the necessary living space. And if no other way is open to them, the lower races will have to restrict themselves accordingly."

- Rudolf Hess, letter, 1927

David Green

Postby David Green » Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:58 pm

Thank you all for your help. Hans, the ref numbers would be great to have but only if they are easily to hand.

David

Return to “Holocaust Denial”