5 year old Hungarian Jew sent to Belsen

Holocaust denial and related subjects.
BRoI
Poster

5 year old Hungarian Jew sent to Belsen

Postby BRoI » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:57 am

Unnamed Jewish woman [35] and her daughter [5], originally from Makó, Hungary, liberated from a transport from Belsen to Theresienstadt in early April 1945.
http://www.haaretz.com/world-news/europe/1.785411

Were there transports from Hungary that never went to Birkenau, instead going direct to Germany/Austria?
"... these witnesses would swear to anything if it gets the Germans killed."
- Solomon Surowitz, Assistant Prosecutor at the 1947 Buchenwald trial.

Sergey_Romanov
Poster

Re: 5 year old Hungarian Jew sent to Belsen

Postby Sergey_Romanov » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:37 am

Several transports were diverted to Strasshof. From a USHMM description:

Agnes Vogel (née Agnes Weisz Varga), born in 1924 in Debrecen, Hungary, discusses her family life prior to the war; attending an art-oriented Catholic high school where there were instances of antisemitism from nuns and students; being deported to Strasshof, Austria, then to Bergen-Belsen; being liberated in April 1945 and returning home on foot; arriving in New York in 1946 and then moving to Detroit; her four children; her three sisters; developing artistically through porcelain painting; becoming a public speaker about her experiences during the Holocaust; how her role as a parent was impacted by her war-time experiences; the Holocaust survivors’ gathering in Israel in the 1980s and finding her family’s history at the Diaspora Museum in Tel Aviv; and her hope that people will learn from her interview to be tolerant of others, to be aware of world events, and to teach future generations not to blindly follow leaders.

Sergey_Romanov
Poster

Postby Sergey_Romanov » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:38 am

Also see my article on the Glaser list where this is mentioned.

Statistical Mechanic
Has No Life
Custom Title: Dostawca - sciany tekstu

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:22 am

re Strasshof: After finishing Stark, I will post a summary of the data on Jewish deportations - including Auschwitz, Strasshof, the Hegyashalom marches, the Kasztner transports, and others - and casualties.
"World peace is certainly an ideal worth striving for; in Hitler's opinion it will be realizable only when one power, the racially best one, has attained complete and uncontested supremacy. That can then provide a sort of world police, seeing to it at the same time that the most valuable race is guaranteed the necessary living space. And if no other way is open to them, the lower races will have to restrict themselves accordingly."

- Rudolf Hess, letter, 1927

Statistical Mechanic
Has No Life

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:40 pm

re Bergen-Belsen specifically: it should be recalled that, in addition to Hungarian Jews moved from Auschwitz to Belsen, the Kasztner transport took nearly 1,700 Hungarian Jews straightaway to Belsen, with stopovers, according to Braham, in Vienna for food and in Linz for bathing. Included among the deportees were Jews from various "lists"; prominent intellectuals, artists, and scientists; orphans; and those with ties to the Vaada, Kasztner, Brand, and others including family and friends. The transport departed Hungary on 30 June 1944 and arrived at Belsen on 8 July. These Jews were held separately at Belsen, in a Bevorzugtenlager (privileged section), whereas a number of Hungarian Jews were already held in the main section of the KL itself. The Kasztner Jews were released from Belsen in two groups in August and December 1944 when they went to Switzerland. While in Belsen the Kasztner Jews were not compelled to do forced labor; the Hungarian Jews held in the privileged camp suffered only 3 deaths, from natural causes, and there 8 births. (Braham, pp 1267-1271, 1280)

The photo in the OP thus cannot show "Kasztner Jews," who would have been released from Belsen before war's end.

I checked quickly, just to complete Sergey Romanov's thought, on the number of Strasshof deportees, having fuzzily recalled 20,000 as the number. Braham indeed gives 20,000 (p 920 and elsewhere) - and Stark lists 4 transports totaling 20,087 (27-30 June 1944) (Stark, p 25).
"World peace is certainly an ideal worth striving for; in Hitler's opinion it will be realizable only when one power, the racially best one, has attained complete and uncontested supremacy. That can then provide a sort of world police, seeing to it at the same time that the most valuable race is guaranteed the necessary living space. And if no other way is open to them, the lower races will have to restrict themselves accordingly."

Kleon_I XYZ Contagion
Poster

Postby Kleon_I XYZ Contagion » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:21 pm

A Greek woman whose mother was on that train (mother's name: Hassid Gilberte, born in Kavala, Greece, 1929) told me to look at this list:

- Passenger List Of The Death Train
http://www.30thinfantry.org/farsleben_list.shtml

I've counted 17 children born in 1940, 13 born in 1941, 14 born in 1942, 5-7 born in 1943, 1 born in 1944 and 1 born in 1945.

There are some other links which I didn't open:
http://www.30thinfantry.org/holocaust.shtml
According to experts and scholars, the 10 stages of every genocide are
Classification Symbolization Discrimination Dehumanization Organization Polarization Preparation Persecution Extermination
... and finally the 10th stage:
Denial
http://www.genocidewatch.org/genocide/t ... ocide.html

XYZ Contagion (‘Because the truth is contagious‘), an investigative/research political and historical website, deals also with the Srebrenica Genocide
https://xyzcontagion.wordpress.com/about/#English

Kleon_I XYZ Contagion
Poster

Postby Kleon_I XYZ Contagion » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:41 pm

The woman said that 2.500 Jews on this train were going from Bergen Belsen (where the mother did a year imprisoned with her family) to Theresienstadt.

The route is probably in this map:
http://www.30thinfantry.org/history_docs/bb_map.pdf
According to experts and scholars, the 10 stages of every genocide are
Classification Symbolization Discrimination Dehumanization Organization Polarization Preparation Persecution Extermination
... and finally the 10th stage:
Denial
http://www.genocidewatch.org/genocide/t ... ocide.html

XYZ Contagion (‘Because the truth is contagious‘), an investigative/research political and historical website, deals also with the Srebrenica Genocide
https://xyzcontagion.wordpress.com/about/#English

Statistical Mechanic
Has No Life

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:32 pm

Statistical Mechanic wrote:re Strasshof: After finishing Stark, I will post a summary of the data on Jewish deportations - including Auschwitz, Strasshof, the Hegyashalom marches, the Kasztner transports, and others - and casualties.

here, in the Hungary thread

Return to “Holocaust Denial”