Is the Jewish Virtual Library a covert Holocaust Denial site?

Holocaust denial and related subjects.
Aaron Richards
Poster

Is the Jewish Virtual Library a covert Holocaust Denial site?

Postby Aaron Richards » Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:25 pm

Just read through some of their articles, e.g. Majdanek:

http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/inside-majdanek

The sarcasm and venom is palpable, right between the lines.

Disgusting.
"...we had the duty towards our Volk (the German people) to kill this Volk (the Jewish people) that wanted to kill us." - Himmler in his 1943 Posen speech reminding any future holocaust denier how absurd their beliefs really are.
I compile rebuttals to popular holocaust denier canards here: http://imgur.com/a/725A7

Im_Not_Creative_Enough
Poster

Re: Is the Jewish Virtual Library a covert Holocaust Denial site?

Postby Im_Not_Creative_Enough » Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:46 pm

No, it's just a site that gathers things from tons of sources without checking too much.
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Jeffk 1970
Perpetual Poster

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:03 pm

Aaron Richards wrote:Just read through some of their articles, e.g. Majdanek:

Disgusting.

I like to use the "Jewish Virtual Library" to make points against deniers. The "Jewish" in the title drives them nuts.

Im_Not_Creative_Enough
Poster

Postby Im_Not_Creative_Enough » Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:24 pm

Jeffk 1970 wrote:

Disgusting.

I like to use the "Jewish Virtual Library" to make points against deniers. The "Jewish" in the title drives them nuts.

They only like RealJewsNews and JewWatch.
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Statistical Mechanic
Has No Life
Custom Title: Dostawca - sciany tekstu

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:33 pm

It is their usual fairly shoddy pastiche IMO. Some examples: The author for unknown reasons (laziness? lack of awareness?) decided not to discuss Kranz’s work trying to resolve the death toll. That work is IMO the starting point for future discussion - the point of departure is not brochures and placards of diverse vintage.

Little errors like the statement that prisoners were brought from Lublin's main RR station to Majdanke in trucks - most came first to the Flygplatz, not the main RR station, and were marched to the camp on foot, the exact route discussed in our Majdanek thread. Another one, “Although there doesn't seem to be much security at this gate” - but the field was on a fairly open plain to allow Foucaultian visibility - and security was tight.

This bigger oddity one caught my eye, too: “It was not that the Russians unexpectedly stumbled across the gas chambers and made the shocking discovery of the Nazi killing machine; it was more like the Russians arriving at the camp and saying, ‘Take us to the gas chambers.’” The tone here, probably derived from whatever source the JVL author pilfered, is basically unsubtle and uninformed red-baiting.

In this first place, why would it be odd for Soviet investigators to look for gas chambers, if it were true? But more importantly, the liberation of the camp preceded, of course, the visits of Soviet and Polish investigators. However, photojournalists (Grossman was pulled off this job, perhaps because he was Jewish), filmmakers, and reporters accompanied the units of the Third Belorussian Front into the camp. Here is how David Shneer, author of Through Soviet Jewish Eyes, here describes the first reporters to cover Majdanek’s liberation after they entered the camp in July 1944:

In his book on photography of the Holocaust, Shneer further explained the unexpected, unusual nature of what the Soviet journalists saw, reported, and photographed:

As Shneer wrote, Soviet journalist Konstantin Simonov filed this first report on the camp’s liberation. He wrote explicitly about the limits of what he know - even after his time in the liberated camp, “At some period in the future, after thorough and painstaking inquiry, the full immensity of the crime against humanity committed here by the Germans will come to light. I myself am at present in possession of only a fraction of the facts; I have spoken to perhaps only one-hundreth of the witnesses, and have seen maybe only one-tenth of the traces.”

British journalist Alexander Werth (BBC) also described the camp’s liberation in an article he submitted in August 1944 (it went unpublished) and in a book written a decade later:
The Russians discovered Maidanek on July 23, the very day they entered Lublin. About a week later Simonov described it all in Pravda; but most of the Western press ignored his account. But in Russia the effect was devastating. Everybody had heard of Babyi Yar and thousands of other German atrocities; but this was something even more staggering. It brought into sharper focus than anything else done the real nature, scope and consequence of the Nazi régime in action. For here was a vast industrial undertaking in which thousands of “ordinary” Germans had made it a full-time job to murder millions of other people in a sort of mass orgy of professional sadism or, worse still, with the business-like conviction that this was a job like any other. The effect of Maidanek was to be enormous, not least in the Red Army. Thousands of Russian soldiers were made to visit it. 

My first reaction to Maidanek was a feeling of surprise. I had imagined something horrible and sinister beyond words. It was nothing like that. It looked singularly harmless from outside. “Is that it?” was my first reaction when we stopped at what looked like a large workers’ settlement. Behind us was the many towered skyline of Lublin. There was much dust on the road, and the grass was a dull, greenish-gray color. . . . And then we stopped outside a large barrack marked Bad und Desinfektion II. “This,” somebody said, “is where the large numbers of those arriving at the camp were brought in.”

The inside of this barrack was made of concrete, and water taps came out of the wall, and around the room there were benches where the clothes were put down and afterwards collected. So this was the place into which they were driven. Or perhaps they were politely invited to “Step this way, please?” Did any of them suspect, while washing themselves after a long journey, what would happen a few minutes later? 

Anyway, after the washing was over, they were asked into the next room; at this point even the most unsuspecting must have begun to wonder. For the “next room” was a series of large square concrete structures, each about one-quarter of the size of the bath house, and, unlike it, had no windows. The naked people (men one time, women another time, children the next) were driven or forced from the bath-house into these dark concrete boxes - about five yards square - and then, with 200 or 250 people packed into each box - and it was completely dark in there, except for a small skylight in the ceiling and the spyhole in the door - the process of gassing began. First some hot air was pumped in from the ceiling and then the pretty pale-blue crystals of Cyclon were showered down on the people, and in the hot wet air they rapidly evaporated. In anything from two to ten minutes everybody was dead ... There were six concrete boxes - gas chambers - side by side. “Nearly two thousand people could be disposed of here simultaneously,” one of the guides said. 

But what thoughts passed through these people’s minds during the first few minutes while the crystals were falling; could anyone still believe that this humiliating process of being packed into a box and standing there naked, rubbing backs with other naked people, had anything to do with disinfection? 

At first it was all very hard to take in, without an effort of the imagination. . . .

The predetermined frame into which the Soviets fit Majdanek, according to Jeremy Hicks in First Films of the Holocaust had nothing to do with gas chambers but rather with the nature of the victims, as NathanC has so often reminded us:

Hicks also viewed raw, unused footage to understand Soviet editing and censorship of what was being reported from Majdanek:

Basically I think whoever wrote this entry just doesn't know much about what he or she is doing. (I {!#%@} hate Majdanek - I can't help myself when it comes to that camp!)
"World peace is certainly an ideal worth striving for; in Hitler's opinion it will be realizable only when one power, the racially best one, has attained complete and uncontested supremacy. That can then provide a sort of world police, seeing to it at the same time that the most valuable race is guaranteed the necessary living space. And if no other way is open to them, the lower races will have to restrict themselves accordingly."

- Rudolf Hess, letter, 1927

scrmbldggs
Has No Life
Custom Title: something

Postby scrmbldggs » Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:48 pm

StatMech wrote:Basically I think whoever wrote this entry just doesn't know much about what he or she is doing.

That was my impression, too.

Jeffk 1970
Perpetual Poster

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:50 pm

Wait a second....Western journalists ignored early reports from Majdanek???????

I thought everyone was colluding on setting up the hoax????

Aaron Richards
Poster

Postby Aaron Richards » Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:56 pm

tl;dr, I apologize for the misleading thread title.

This is just me venting that JVL copies much from scrapbookpages. Someone ought to let these idiots know how they're shooting themselves in the foot here.
"...we had the duty towards our Volk (the German people) to kill this Volk (the Jewish people) that wanted to kill us." - Himmler in his 1943 Posen speech reminding any future holocaust denier how absurd their beliefs really are.
I compile rebuttals to popular holocaust denier canards here: http://imgur.com/a/725A7

Jeffk 1970
Perpetual Poster

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:58 pm

Statistical Mechanic wrote:Basically I think whoever wrote this entry just doesn't know much about what he or she is doing. (I {!#%@} hate Majdanek - I can't help myself when it comes to that camp!)

I agree with you where it comes to Majdanek.

I've utilized JVL in the past, sometimes their stuff is good, sometimes not. The only sites I trust are HC and The Holocaust History Project. On occasion I've used deathcamps.org and the Holocaust Research Project but I'm careful to source elsewhere, especially with HRP. I have to say, though, deathcamps.org has a good library of photographs.
Nizkor used to be a favorite until research showed me how out of date their stuff is. I still use them with caution.

I actually prefer books over all but transferring information is a pain.

I will cautiously use Wikipedia but only after checking their sources.

Jeffk 1970
Perpetual Poster

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:00 pm

Aaron Richards wrote:tl;dr, I apologize for the misleading thread title.

This is just me venting that JVL copies much from scrapbookpages. Someone ought to let these idiots know how they're shooting themselves in the foot here.

It's actually not as uncommon as you might think. Gen Baugher's stuff pops up in some really weird places. I find her photographs all over the internet.

Denying-History
Frequent Poster

Postby Denying-History » Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:20 pm

Disgusting.
No it's a website that copies articles from other sites... that one was stolen from Scrapbookpages.
« Oral history is a complex field. After all, memory can be a distorting mirror, as anyone who has ever worked with memoir literature knows very well...They may be imperfect, and, at times, inaccurate as the narrator tries to cast himself in the most favorable light, but all sources are imperfect. Even an archival document reflects how the person who drafted it understood something and remains something less than the unvarnished truth. »
- James Mace

scrmbldggs
Has No Life
Custom Title: something

Postby scrmbldggs » Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:31 pm

I hear it ain't legal to steal other people's trash... but maybe there's no copyright on it? I had looked for an author and couldn't find one. Maybe one could inform them to source their articles?
Last edited by scrmbldggs on Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Statistical Mechanic
Has No Life

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:32 pm

and ask that they not copy from denier websites?
"World peace is certainly an ideal worth striving for; in Hitler's opinion it will be realizable only when one power, the racially best one, has attained complete and uncontested supremacy. That can then provide a sort of world police, seeing to it at the same time that the most valuable race is guaranteed the necessary living space. And if no other way is open to them, the lower races will have to restrict themselves accordingly."

Balsamo
Frequent Poster

Postby Balsamo » Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:40 pm

Jeffk 1970 wrote:Wait a second....Western journalists ignored early reports from Majdanek???????

Not all, in France the communist journal "L'Humanite" put it on its frontpage, with the famous 1.5 millions Deniers are still playing with...

Statistical Mechanic
Has No Life

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:48 pm

Balsamo wrote:
Jeffk 1970 wrote:Wait a second....Western journalists ignored early reports from Majdanek???????

Not all, in France the communist journal "L'Humanite" put it on its frontpage, with the famous 1.5 millions Deniers are still playing with...

Bill Lawrence also had a story in the NY Times with the same 1.5 million. And - no kidding - Roman Karmen had a long piece in the Daily Worker, newspaper of the CPUSA, on Majdanek, which was reprinted in the LA Times in August 1944!

Jeffk 1970
Perpetual Poster

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:58 pm

Statistical Mechanic wrote:
Balsamo wrote:

Bill Lawrence also had a story in the NY Times with the same 1.5 million. And - no kidding - Roman Karmen had a long piece in the Daily Worker, newspaper of the CPUSA, on Majdanek, which was reprinted in the LA Times in August 1944!

Well, we all know who runs the New York Times, don't we?

Statistical Mechanic
Has No Life

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:01 pm

The same (((people))) behind (((Amazon.com)))?

Jeffk 1970
Perpetual Poster

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:03 pm

((((((ROTFL)))))))))

I didn't understand the whole ((((())))), that's another one I had to look up.

Im_Not_Creative_Enough
Poster

Postby Im_Not_Creative_Enough » Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:08 pm

Jeffk 1970 wrote:((((((ROTFL)))))))))

It's the sequel to " oy vey goyim" and "JDIF shill".

Statistical Mechanic
Has No Life

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:51 pm

That's because (((they))) don't want you to understand.

Jeff_36
Perpetual Poster

Postby Jeff_36 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 5:16 am

Statistical Mechanic wrote:

That's because (((they))) don't want you to understand.

((( :lol: )))

Xcalibur
Frequent Poster

Postby Xcalibur » Sat Mar 11, 2017 5:22 am

I always thought that site was {!#%@} for years. Always 3rd rate at best.

Return to “Holocaust Denial”