It's the Donnydämmerung! (new Trump thread)

Holocaust denial and related subjects.
Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Dostawca - sciany tekstu

Re: It's the Donnydämmerung! (new Trump thread)

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Fri May 11, 2018 1:19 am

btw, additional Democrats seen as possible vote for torture/SS war crimes (is that what he meant?)/Haspel are at least Joe Donnelly (IN), Tim Kaine (VA), Heidi Heitkamp (ND), and Doug Jones (AL). Feinstein has said she will vote no but that "I don’t see, right now, her losing. I mean, I think she’ll have the votes."
You know, my dear Colonel General, I don't really believe that the Russians will attack at all. It's all an enormous bluff. - Heinrich Himmler to Heinz Guderian, December 1944

Balmoral95
Frequent Poster

Postby Balmoral95 » Fri May 11, 2018 1:21 am

Statistical Mechanic wrote:Bobbo said what? Hmmm . . .

The air is quite thin up on his mount.... :mrgreen:

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Fri May 11, 2018 2:37 am

TJrandom wrote: You have disparagingly questioned the language skills of two of our too few members – something I take personally given effort invested. I incorrectly recalled that you had done the same for me when and you correctly identified two such cases, and I apologized as soon as I found I was wrong on that point. This is where my self-criticism stops in regard to that post. I suggest you re-read it. You may regard the rest as simply being my opinion and advice if you so choose. But please do not take my withdrawal of `habit of disparaging language skills` as anything more than that – the rest of that post stands.

Half way into my response, and I found it verging on gibberish. So, I'll back up.

1. ".....personally..... effort..... ///// ?

2. "This is where my self-criticism stops //// Yes.

3. Re-read it. //// I did, as well as my response to it. You did not support any claim made, you merely made a general affirmation. Follow SM's example and NAIL ME when I'm wrong. I too will admit to error when I have no other choice.....course some here demonstrate when you can't support your position, just say nothing, and claim it is sunshine.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Fri May 11, 2018 2:45 am

Balmoral95 wrote:
Statistical Mechanic wrote:Bobbo said what? Hmmm . . .

The air is quite thin up on his mount.... :mrgreen:

Traveling from Thessaloniki to Athens one day, I saw Mount Olympus in the distance and gave it a climb. Easy to do in one day....compared to my highest climb (hike is more accurate) of Mnt Whitney which I've done twice, or Mnt Fuji, or the Peak looking down on Machu Picchu. Had to do Olympus for its name sake. Whitney does have that thin air. Machu Picchu is the standout for mystical appeal, Fuji the most beautiful.

ymmv.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.

TJrandom
Has More Than 8K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Fri May 11, 2018 3:03 am

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:
TJrandom wrote: You have disparagingly questioned the language skills of two of our too few members – something I take personally given effort invested. I incorrectly recalled that you had done the same for me when and you correctly identified two such cases, and I apologized as soon as I found I was wrong on that point. This is where my self-criticism stops in regard to that post. I suggest you re-read it. You may regard the rest as simply being my opinion and advice if you so choose. But please do not take my withdrawal of `habit of disparaging language skills` as anything more than that – the rest of that post stands.

Half way into my response, and I found it verging on gibberish. So, I'll back up.

1. ".....personally..... effort..... ///// ?

2. "This is where my self-criticism stops //// Yes.

3. Re-read it. //// I did, as well as my response to it. You did not support any claim made, you merely made a general affirmation. Follow SM's example and NAIL ME when I'm wrong. I too will admit to error when I have no other choice.....course some here demonstrate when you can't support your position, just say nothing, and claim it is sunshine.

Oh yes I did support my claim - I said you could regard it as my opinion. Enough said. This is becoming a hijack. Learn or don`t, your choice. I`m done.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Fri May 11, 2018 3:11 am

Oh....ok.....language skills aside then, opinions don't need any supporting facts? ...... Check.

Since you appear not to get it: My first comment was: " OF COURSE: who's in charge makes a difference. Ever had a job?" Please explain how this is not "simple sentences, direct, and to the point". Same with the next two comments. Only the forth comments approached the Faulknerian area of memory and its distorting affect or the Joycian gibberish.

Opinion: A personal belief or judgment that is not founded on proof or certainty. //// Ha, ha.....good on me....looking up what a word actually means. I applied my own standard: having facts to support my opinions. Evidently, the world is much freer than I allow.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Fri May 11, 2018 3:16 am

Does remind me of a favorite line from The Big Lebowski: "Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man."

Balmoral95
Frequent Poster

Postby Balmoral95 » Fri May 11, 2018 3:20 am

Hey Boobs, why don't you hop on back to a forum that really appreciates your presence... like the climate forum... oh wait, my bad....

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Fri May 11, 2018 3:26 am

Speaking of Faulkner........on another forum.......I took on the persona of a person who did not care what any position was but rather ONLY the facts/reasoning that supported any such position. A common refrain was: "Why do you think what you think, and how do you change your mind?"

along the way, opinion was differentiated from preferences. Opinions 99% of the time really are supported by facts....not the facts being expressed but deeper psychology ones. Opinions without proof really are better thought of as preferences. An opinion as to its simplicity, directness or relevance is certainly fact bound. NOT to be confused with whether or not chocolate or ice cream is better.

Another meme: we think with words (and bloom with flowers or weeds).

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Fri May 11, 2018 3:28 am

Balmoral95 wrote:Hey Boobs, why don't you hop on back to a forum that really appreciates your presence... like the climate forum... oh wait, my bad....

Excellent parallel. Its the Science deniers that get upset with me there.

...........................see the parallel? Let the sunshine in?

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Fri May 11, 2018 10:59 am

You know, my dear Colonel General, I don't really believe that the Russians will attack at all. It's all an enormous bluff. - Heinrich Himmler to Heinz Guderian, December 1944

Upton_O_Goode
Persistent Poster
Custom Title: Hywel Rudy Day

Postby Upton_O_Goode » Fri May 11, 2018 11:24 am

Statistical Mechanic wrote:Looks like Giuliani's law firm told the sorry bastard to take a hike:
Giuliani himself was also in the news on Thursday, as he officially left his law firm Greenberg Traurig, from which he had previously taken a leave of absence to work for the president.

The former New York City mayor in a statement from the law firm explained his departure as coming “in light of the pressing demands of the Mueller investigation” and so that his “sole concentration can be on this critically important matter for our country.”

But the firm itself indicated that its executives have been discomfited by some of Giuliani’s public statements.

In a headlining-making interview with Sean Hannity of Fox News Channel last week, Giuliani had suggested that hush-money payments, of the kind Cohen apparently made to Daniels, were commonplace.

“Michael would take care of things like this like I take care of this with my clients,” he told Hannity.

On Thursday, a Greenberg Traurig spokeswoman told The New York Times, “Speaking for ourselves, we would not condone payments of the nature alleged to have been made or otherwise without the knowledge and direction of a client.”

from The Hill

I love this. As one commentator said, whatever weird plan Rudy had in mind, surely THIS wasn't part of it. (My guess: The firm's partners were waiting for a chance to boot the bastard out, and they now have the perfect cover for doing so with minimal consequences to themselves.)
"When you are studying any matter, or considering any philosophy, ask yourself only what are the facts and what is the truth that the facts bear out. Never let yourself be diverted, either by what you wish to believe, or by what you think would have beneficent social effects if it were believed. But look only, and solely, at what are the facts."

Bertrand Russell, Advice to Future Generations

Upton_O_Goode
Persistent Poster

Postby Upton_O_Goode » Fri May 11, 2018 11:26 am

Statistical Mechanic wrote:btw, additional Democrats seen as possible vote for torture/SS war crimes (is that what he meant?)/Haspel are at least Joe Donnelly (IN), Tim Kaine (VA), Heidi Heitkamp (ND), and Doug Jones (AL). Feinstein has said she will vote no but that "I don’t see, right now, her losing. I mean, I think she’ll have the votes."

What CNN broadcast of her testimony ought to be enough to reject her. I'm nauseated by the continual spectacles of Americans lauding America and saying it "holds itself to a higher standard." What horseshit that is!
"When you are studying any matter, or considering any philosophy, ask yourself only what are the facts and what is the truth that the facts bear out. Never let yourself be diverted, either by what you wish to believe, or by what you think would have beneficent social effects if it were believed. But look only, and solely, at what are the facts."

Upton_O_Goode
Persistent Poster

Postby Upton_O_Goode » Fri May 11, 2018 11:30 am

scrmbldggs wrote:What if it turns out Dumpy never made a personal payment to his personal atty ("beginning in early 2017"), but directed Cohen's then new sources of income his way?

That would at least explain the purpose of the payments from major firms. As StatMech has already pointed out, it surpasses (I would think) even the reptile brain of a Trump supporter to believe that major companies give hundreds of thousands or millions of dollars to a fraudster with a law degree from the worst law school in America, while expecting nothing in return. These were very obviously attempts to reimburse Trump for favors to be rendered and expenses encountered in the course of his work with adult-movie stars.

Upton_O_Goode
Persistent Poster

Postby Upton_O_Goode » Fri May 11, 2018 11:38 am

Jeffk 1970 wrote:TJ, I put bobbo on ignore a long time ago. The world became a much brighter place.

:D

I did likewise. His laughable attempts to play the role of Socrates finally exhausted my patience. We all know we are fallible. But it doesn't help matters to insist pedantically on analyzing every sentence down to the finest nuance of every syllable, as bobbo did to me early on, refusing to allow my statement that a friend of mine left America because Trump was elected, and insisting I didn't know this unless I could state ONE SPECIFIC policy of Trump's that my friend disagreed with. After several attempts at communicating in the ordinary colloquialisms of polite conversation, I finally sent a long list of propositions and asked which ones bobbo disagreed with. I got no reply.

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Fri May 11, 2018 12:00 pm

Upton_O_Goode wrote:
Statistical Mechanic wrote:btw, additional Democrats seen as possible vote for torture/SS war crimes (is that what he meant?)/Haspel are at least Joe Donnelly (IN), Tim Kaine (VA), Heidi Heitkamp (ND), and Doug Jones (AL). Feinstein has said she will vote no but that "I don’t see, right now, her losing. I mean, I think she’ll have the votes."

What CNN broadcast of her testimony ought to be enough to reject her. I'm nauseated by the continual spectacles of Americans lauding America and saying it "holds itself to a higher standard." What horseshit that is!

Congressional approval for her sends a clear - and very deleterious - signal. It's not surprising that Trump would want someone associated with the torture program - given his campaign threats - nor, sad to say, as we watch Trump cow his party and Congress (and Europe) increasingly into submission, is it surprising that the Senate would approve her. But it's a moment to mark and to reflect on, nonetheless.

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Fri May 11, 2018 12:33 pm

Upton_O_Goode wrote:
Jeffk 1970 wrote:TJ, I put bobbo on ignore a long time ago. The world became a much brighter place.

I did likewise. His laughable attempts to play the role of Socrates finally exhausted my patience. We all know we are fallible. But it doesn't help matters to insist pedantically on analyzing every sentence down to the finest nuance of every syllable, as bobbo did to me early on, refusing to allow my statement that a friend of mine left America because Trump was elected, and insisting I didn't know this unless I could state ONE SPECIFIC policy of Trump's that my friend disagreed with. After several attempts at communicating in the ordinary colloquialisms of polite conversation, I finally sent a long list of propositions and asked which ones bobbo disagreed with. I got no reply.

I realized that discussing anything with him became pointless when he tried to point out to those of us who study Nazi Germany that we were wrong on something.....and then admitted he didn’t know anything about what we were discussing.
“Today I saw one of those places, saw it in all of its horror, all its filth, all its death.”
Soldier entering the Ohrdruf Concentration Camp.

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Fri May 11, 2018 2:30 pm

At his pitchforks and torches rally in Indiana last night, Trump floated the idea of his being given "an extension for the presidency"; the yahoos roared their approval. Of course, they'd shout approval if he'd shown sex tapes of him and one of the women he paid off.

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Fri May 11, 2018 2:33 pm

Statistical Mechanic wrote:At his pitchforks and torches rally in Indiana last night, Trump floated the idea of his being given "an extension for the presidency"; the yahoos roared their approval. Of course, they'd shout approval if he'd shown sex tapes of him and one of the women he paid off.

Well, it does appeal to his base’s authoritarian instincts. Who cares about constitutional restraints?
“Today I saw one of those places, saw it in all of its horror, all its filth, all its death.”
Soldier entering the Ohrdruf Concentration Camp.

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Fri May 11, 2018 2:33 pm

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: something

Postby scrmbldggs » Fri May 11, 2018 3:10 pm

:hmm: "Shares of AT&T were 0.4 percent higher in premarket trading."

Upton_O_Goode wrote:...As StatMech has already pointed out, it surpasses (I would think) even the reptile brain of a Trump supporter to believe that major companies give hundreds of thousands or millions of dollars to a fraudster with a law degree from the worst law school in America, while expecting nothing in return...

...and loving it?

Lard, save me from your followers.

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Postby scrmbldggs » Fri May 11, 2018 3:12 pm

Whatever it is they may hate in the other, it's splendid when their own guy has or does it.

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Fri May 11, 2018 3:20 pm

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Postby scrmbldggs » Fri May 11, 2018 3:34 pm

Corruption is "genius". And enviable...

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Fri May 11, 2018 4:25 pm

scrmbldggs wrote::hmm: "Shares of AT&T were 0.4 percent higher in premarket trading."

Upton_O_Goode wrote:...As StatMech has already pointed out, it surpasses (I would think) even the reptile brain of a Trump supporter to believe that major companies give hundreds of thousands or millions of dollars to a fraudster with a law degree from the worst law school in America, while expecting nothing in return...

...and loving it?

Not so much loving it. It "looks like" to me they signed up for access and found out double quick they weren't going to get any. Can't confirm which one of them continued to make payments expressly because they were afraid that stopping payments would upset the Chiseler in Chief. Ha, ha....probably true even if Trump has nothing to do with it???

Campaign Contributions, Pay to Play==legal in the USA. This still looks like an "attempted" (EDIT: change attempted to completed) fraud on Cohens part. (Claiming expertise or access you don't have?) Add Fraud in the Inducement to his laundry list. All part of leverage.
Last edited by bobbo_the_Pragmatist on Fri May 11, 2018 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Fri May 11, 2018 4:38 pm

Upton_O_Goode wrote:

We all fall on the Socrates to Pendant scale every time anyone asks a question. The Socratic Method of teaching involves asking questions to have the listener draw from his own experience. Its an admirable sometimes frustrating standard to shoot for. Thank you for your recognition of this. "Have you ever had a Job?" might be the most recent example of its use?

I recall the discussion, just as you say, and Socrates asked a good question there. Sadly, I did not see your return list of questions as I dip in and out of this thread....I rarely "look for" any response to my posts unless an interesting question was posed or expected.

I'm curious about what questions you posed.......depending on their construct, might have been fun to see how many I could have agreed with. Agreed with.....not disagreed with. Even though: looking at the list for what questions I could disagree with should provide the same outcome? Half full, half empty. bias.

613 pages...I'll pass. "Search" might pull the page up quickly....but the search terms elude me. To me, its just a math question of probability: How many people claim they will make some change on some event, the event happens, and there is no change at all? Entire industries are based on this reality. Just ask Jenny Craig.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Fri May 11, 2018 4:42 pm

Jeffk 1970 wrote: I realized that discussing anything with him became pointless when he tried to point out to those of us who study Nazi Germany that we were wrong on something.....and then admitted he didn’t know anything about what we were discussing.

I know. Why discuss anything with anyone who doesn't claim complete knowledge. I recall the event but not in detail sufficiently. I suspect your characterization of "didn't know anything" is a bit broad.....or if stated as you say made the hinge argument irrelevant so expertise not required?

such high standards you folks have............

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Postby scrmbldggs » Fri May 11, 2018 4:43 pm

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:
scrmbldggs wrote::hmm: "Shares of AT&T were 0.4 percent higher in premarket trading."

...and loving it?

Not so much loving it. It "looks like" to me they signed up for access and found out double quick they weren't going to get any. Can't confirm which one of them continued to make payments expressly because they were afraid that stopping payments would upset the Chiseler in Chief. Ha, ha....probably true even if Trump has nothing to do with it???

Campaign Contributions, Pay to Play==legal in the USA. This still looks like an "attempted" fraud on Cohens part. (Claiming expertise or access you don't have?) Add Fraud in the Inducement to his laundry list. All part of leverage.

I meant the Trumpanzees. Seems they are pleased that large companies join them in their... adoration.

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Postby scrmbldggs » Fri May 11, 2018 4:46 pm

I heard Cohen wouldn't have had to register as a lobbyist if he had only one gubmint official contact (seems two are required) and they counted only the Resident as that. But what about team Jarwanka? And any other rats that swam down with him from NY?

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Fri May 11, 2018 4:50 pm

Every day is a new day. We define ourselves by how we go about it. Habits become ingrained, but our behavior remains a choice.......each time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=to2KasivROc

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Fri May 11, 2018 4:52 pm

scrmbldggs wrote:I heard Cohen wouldn't have had to register as a lobbyist if he had only one gubmint official contact (seems two are required) and they counted only the Resident as that. But what about team Jarwanka? And any other rats that swam down with him from NY?

Don't sneer, but he had Sean Hannity too. Depends on what official means?

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Postby scrmbldggs » Fri May 11, 2018 5:01 pm

AFAIK, Hannity isn't sworn in. And if you recall, Cohen was more of a bizness man than a lawyer. I'd think any type of formal contact would count?

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Fri May 11, 2018 5:03 pm

scrmbldggs wrote: I meant the Trumpanzees. Seems they are pleased that large companies join them in their... adoration.

Yep...I missed that.....but right you are. Spreading money around Washington like that.....got to hit a mark often enough to up the stock price.

Speaking of the strength of our economy.....heard a good tidbit the other day..... (from Russian TV!) that the stockmarket has changed to a formalized Ponzi scheme BECAUSE: stocks are traded on their expectation of stock price rise or fall based on the pure speculation that others coming to the Fraud will pay a higher price. Used to be that profits and stock distributions used to set a stocks prices.

A very fine and disturbing recognition....but explaining all the dot.coms.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Fri May 11, 2018 5:06 pm

scrmbldggs wrote:AFAIK, Hannity isn't sworn in. And if you recall, Cohen was more of a bizness man than a lawyer. I'd think any type of formal contact would count?

My turn: I meant Sean is not a gubment official (officially!). He acts like the Head of Propaganda, but he's not on the gubments payroll. Hmmmm.....do dark funds count? Snitches and undercover agents??

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Fri May 11, 2018 5:52 pm

The Headline is: "Has Trump thoroughly distracted you yet?

From what you ask? Well, two things: Number one is Nuclear War. But....try to guess No 2:

and the answer is ..... see below.

YES: We are all going to die as the Republican Leadership is in lockstep to accomplish this goal. Its the existential challenge of todays generation.

Nothing said in the 8 minute video we haven't heard before although 2-3 good lines or summations.

But: the presenter is Noam Chomsky..........like McCain...... still alive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUQ_0MubbcM

► Show Spoiler
Last edited by bobbo_the_Pragmatist on Fri May 11, 2018 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Postby scrmbldggs » Fri May 11, 2018 5:56 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlJxl6MxuK4

"Some are saying, Yes, Trump sometimes bends the truth, but Obama lied consistently." :?

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Postby scrmbldggs » Fri May 11, 2018 6:01 pm

The twitterings seem to have been toned down? The new and real lawyer having an impact? Or is Dumpy busy with taking a crash course in Korean? :-P ('Yo boss eah' or 'I'm new ya see uh' is hard!)

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Fri May 11, 2018 6:08 pm

I think he's trying to find out what Cohen did with all his money. (Joke!) Contra: I take it Cohen actually doesn't have any money if him having to mortgage his house (whatever) is anywhere close to the truth.....and if Cohen were smart AND stealing from Trump ((Hard not to do during a long term relationship based on fraud, but Trump would be Cohen's Golden Goose) he would position himself as a charity case.....

New attorney "should have" an affect on a client ...... for a few days or weeks at least. Your guess is the most solid....but I doubt it will stick.

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Postby scrmbldggs » Fri May 11, 2018 6:28 pm

Since Gord might be busy resetting passwords atm... I think "effect" would work better in that sentence. :-P

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Postby scrmbldggs » Fri May 11, 2018 6:39 pm

Rudy tells the world that he decided to quit his daytime job to fully focus on the investigation, and Pence makes noise saying he thinks it's time the investigation ends. (Paraphrased, but that's how Brian Williams put the two together :lol:)

Return to “Holocaust Denial”