It's the Donnydämmerung! (new Trump thread)

Holocaust denial and related subjects.
Balmoral95
Frequent Poster

Re: It's the Donnydämmerung! (new Trump thread)

Postby Balmoral95 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:33 am

Statistical Mechanic wrote:
Balmoral95 wrote:
Statistical Mechanic wrote:Honestly, without going CT here, how DJT sounded was not like what I have heard when someone's mouth is dry. Nor did he make characteristic dry-mouth gestures. He just seemed to have trouble enunciating - he sounded more drunk than parched. And what is with the snorting?

Agreed, although I won't jump to pharmacological speculation at this juncture.

Anyway, the WH, coincidentally, announced today that Trump will get a complete physical after the first of the year.

Which will produce another report that never sees the light of day.

or more of this:

The only MD on the planet looks more unhealthy than Bannon :lol:

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Dostawca - sciany tekstu

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:33 am

LOL
You know, my dear Colonel General, I don't really believe that the Russians will attack at all. It's all an enormous bluff. - Heinrich Himmler to Heinz Guderian, December 1944

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:40 am

House ethics committee has cleared Nunes. In theory, he's free to un-recuse his partial recusal. This should be fun.
You know, my dear Colonel General, I don't really believe that the Russians will attack at all. It's all an enormous bluff. - Heinrich Himmler to Heinz Guderian, December 1944

Balmoral95
Frequent Poster

Postby Balmoral95 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:17 am

Statistical Mechanic wrote:House ethics committee has cleared Nunes. In theory, he's free to un-recuse his partial recusal. This should be fun.

That's global as to Judiciary committee and DOJ?

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:20 am

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:25 am

Pew approval poll looking good for Donny: 32% approve, 63% disapprove.

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:43 am

My wife is planning a party for this weekend. I suggested a piñata. . .

ElectricMonk
Persistent Poster
Custom Title: The Baby-eating Bishop

Postby ElectricMonk » Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:36 am

Statistical Mechanic wrote:Anyway, the WH, coincidentally, announced today that Trump will get a complete physical after the first of the year.

...since he is already completly mental every day....
I've come up with a set of rules that describe our reactions to technologies:
Spoiler:
1. Anything that is in the world when you’re born is normal and ordinary and is just a natural part of the way the world works.
2. Anything that's invented between when you’re fifteen and thirty-five is new and exciting and revolutionary and you can probably get a career in it.
3. Anything invented after you're thirty-five is against the natural order of things.
- Douglas Adams

Jeff_36
Perpetual Poster
Location: At the hundredth meridian, where the great plains begin

Postby Jeff_36 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:54 am

It has been suggested that he wears dentures and that they were coming lose. His teeth have always looked unnatural to me.
see more here. Apparently this has been backed up by dental health professionals.

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:58 am

The single denture theory is more fitting (ugh) than dry mouth.

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:18 pm

Dentures cannot explain these garbled messages from the Trumpies - their lack of respect for the audience, the occasion, and themselves is more likely.

But what explains the stark strangeness of the WH Pearl Harbor Day proclamation signing session? Trump seems not to have seen his script before the session - when he talks extemporaneously, he is awkward and overly involved with himself and his own themes/triumphs. Pearl Harbor was "a pretty wild scene" and the "return fire" was "successful"? After realizing his advance team didn't supply enough pens, Trump goes onto how "we will do it for another 7 years," seemingly having yesterday's Pew polling on his mind?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKp8y_SCqhc

Narcissism? Lack of preparation? Condescension? Dementia?

Upton_O_Goode
Persistent Poster
Custom Title: Hywel Rudy Day

Postby Upton_O_Goode » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:23 pm

Sound position on the Embassy move, and a good summary of 2017 in general:

Washington Post wrote: Trump, squinting into the camera and chopping the air with his hands, was both sloppy (“open our hearts and minds to possible and possibilities”) and historically wrong. He claimed Jerusalem has been Israel’s capital “ever since” independence in May 1948. In fact, it wasn’t until December 1949, as the United Nations was preparing to put Jerusalem under international control, that David Ben-Gurion defied the world body by making Jerusalem the capital.

I think the embassy should be in Jerusalem, in principle. But Trump could have used the move as a leverage for peace. Instead, he used it to smash crockery in the region.

In fact, that pretty well summarizes the Trump Doctrine: crockery smashing. The “wins” in foreign policy have been things Trump has undone (the Paris climate accord, the Trans-Pacific Partnership) or is in the process of undoing (the Iran nuclear deal, NAFTA). Relations have soured with Britain, continental Europe and countries from Mexico to Australia. He has accelerated gains against the Islamic State, though at the cost of giving more power to Russia — and the terrorist threat is decentralizing rather than dissipating.

And what do we have to show for this? Well, the Commerce Department reported that the U.S. trade deficit in October widened to a nine-month high. Oh, and the Treasury Department reported that, as of the end of September, foreign holdings of U.S. debt were $6.23 trillion, up from $5.95 trillion when Trump took over. China has regained its spot as the United States’ biggest creditor.

Tillerson, acknowledging in Europe this week to U.S. diplomats that “we don’t have any wins on the board yet,” said he would announce “quick wins” in the coming weeks — but these are items such as updating IT systems and streamlining the department.

Substantive “wins” are getting further from the administration’s grasp. Trump had it right two months ago when he said he wanted to give peace a chance before moving the embassy to Jerusalem. Now, he’s blowing things up by rewarding Israeli hard-liners, empowering Islamist hard-liners and setting back hopes for peace. Doesn’t he ever get tired of losing?

Good question there. And Rex, you've gone off the reservation again, telling people you don't have any wins yet. Sooner or later you're going to jump on the trip-bar and that bear trap will close on you.
"When you are studying any matter, or considering any philosophy, ask yourself only what are the facts and what is the truth that the facts bear out. Never let yourself be diverted, either by what you wish to believe, or by what you think would have beneficent social effects if it were believed. But look only, and solely, at what are the facts."

Bertrand Russell, Advice to Future Generations

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:27 pm

Draining the swamp, Russian, er, Trump style: "the forgotten men and women of our country will be forgotten no longer."

"Trump’s richest friends are asking for changes to the GOP tax plan, and he’s listening":
Some of President Trump’s wealthiest New York friends have launched a last-minute campaign to pressure him for changes to the GOP tax bill, telling the president personally that the current plan would drive up their taxes and hurt his home state.

Trump on Saturday attended a fundraiser at the home of Stephen Schwarzman, chief executive of the Blackstone Group and the former leader of Trump’s now-disbanded White House Strategy and Policy Forum. Longtime Trump friend Richard LeFrak, a New York real estate magnate who Trump has said would play a lead role in his infrastructure push, also attended.

At the fundraiser, LeFrak asked Trump about making changes in the tax bill, people familiar with the exchange said. LeFrak had previously expressed to the White House concerns that the tax bill could hurt New York, and particularly its wealthy business class, people familiar with his thinking said. At least one other donor jumped in to echo LeFrak, the people said.

In response, Trump told the group he was aware of the concerns among his old friends and business associates — and that he understood them.

“The president was a little vague in his response on that,” an attendee at the fundraiser said, saying Trump said, “Well, we’ve got to see what happens. Maybe there are ways to try to be helpful.” . . .

LeFrak and Trump have been friends for decades, with LeFrak at one point serving as a judge in the Miss Universe pageant that Trump ran and also making an appearance on Trump’s television program “The Apprentice.”

The forgotten man gets to talk directly to the president! The forgotten man can explain to the president how to make the tax bill even richer, excuse me, even better for the forgotten man. Is this a great country or what? Wow, he is their voice!

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:33 pm

Upton_O_Goode wrote:Sound position on the Embassy move, and a good summary of 2017 in general:

Washington Post wrote: Trump, squinting into the camera and chopping the air with his hands, was both sloppy (“open our hearts and minds to possible and possibilities”)

This odd formulation came just before Trump added his dentures-inspired coinage, "the leaders of the region, politicaltyareligious . . . [sniff/snort]"

Upton_O_Goode
Persistent Poster

Postby Upton_O_Goode » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:59 pm

Trump rises to the occasion in his inimitable way. I grew up hearing a very mediocre ditty composed for the occasion, called "Let's Remember Pearl Harbor." I can still quote it:

Let's remember Pearl Harbor, as we march against the foe.

Let's remember Pearl Harbor, as we did the Alamo.

We will always remember how they died for liberty.

Let's remember Pearl Harbor, and go on to victory.

Certainly not a "poem that will live forever," and the music was even worse. (And now I've got a goddamned ear-worm and will be hearing this abomination all day today. Damn you, Trump!)
"When you are studying any matter, or considering any philosophy, ask yourself only what are the facts and what is the truth that the facts bear out. Never let yourself be diverted, either by what you wish to believe, or by what you think would have beneficent social effects if it were believed. But look only, and solely, at what are the facts."

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:46 pm

Lol

Upton_O_Goode
Persistent Poster

Postby Upton_O_Goode » Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:53 pm

Statistical Mechanic wrote:Draining the swamp, Russian, er, Trump style: "the forgotten men and women of our country will be forgotten no longer."

"Trump’s richest friends are asking for changes to the GOP tax plan, and he’s listening":
Some of President Trump’s wealthiest New York friends have launched a last-minute campaign to pressure him for changes to the GOP tax bill, telling the president personally that the current plan would drive up their taxes and hurt his home state.

Trump on Saturday attended a fundraiser at the home of Stephen Schwarzman, chief executive of the Blackstone Group and the former leader of Trump’s now-disbanded White House Strategy and Policy Forum. Longtime Trump friend Richard LeFrak, a New York real estate magnate who Trump has said would play a lead role in his infrastructure push, also attended.

At the fundraiser, LeFrak asked Trump about making changes in the tax bill, people familiar with the exchange said. LeFrak had previously expressed to the White House concerns that the tax bill could hurt New York, and particularly its wealthy business class, people familiar with his thinking said. At least one other donor jumped in to echo LeFrak, the people said.

In response, Trump told the group he was aware of the concerns among his old friends and business associates — and that he understood them.

“The president was a little vague in his response on that,” an attendee at the fundraiser said, saying Trump said, “Well, we’ve got to see what happens. Maybe there are ways to try to be helpful.” . . .

LeFrak and Trump have been friends for decades, with LeFrak at one point serving as a judge in the Miss Universe pageant that Trump ran and also making an appearance on Trump’s television program “The Apprentice.”

The forgotten man gets to talk directly to the president! The forgotten man can explain to the president how to make the tax bill even richer, excuse me, even better for the forgotten man. Is this a great country or what? Wow, he is their voice!

What in the WORLD makes these fools think Trump listens to ANYBODY? He’s always been an upstart in New York, not regarded as quality folks, and I’m sure he is seething with resentment against the New York elites, who have snubbed him for decades. If he has to give the shaft to a few of his friends in order to get back at them, his hand will not hesitate.

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:21 pm

Excellent point. I had taken this more as Trump's old chum Lefrak informing him that Trump'd failed to do the maths and the plan wouldn't be so good for "people like us." That said, you're right, Trump is just as likely to go by his own outsized ego.

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:52 pm

DJT, victory speech, 8 November 2016:
Hillary has worked very long and very hard over a long period of time, and we owe her a major debt of gratitude for her service to our country. I mean that very sincerely. Now it is time for America to bind the wounds of division, have to get together, to all Republicans and Democrats and independents across this nation I say it is time for us to come together as one united people. It’s time. I pledge to every citizen of our land that I will be president for all of Americans, and this is so important to me.

For those who have chosen not to support me in the past, of which there were a few people, I'm reaching out to you for your guidance and your help so that we can work together and unify our great country.

DJT's White House, last night: "Jewish Congressional Democrats not invited to Trump White House Hanukkah party" - "Congressional Democrats, as well as Jewish leaders who have been critical of Trump, were excluded from receiving invitations this year, The New York Times reported."

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:13 pm

Statistical Mechanic wrote:DJT, victory speech, 8 November 2016:
Hillary has worked very long and very hard over a long period of time, and we owe her a major debt of gratitude for her service to our country. I mean that very sincerely. Now it is time for America to bind the wounds of division, have to get together, to all Republicans and Democrats and independents across this nation I say it is time for us to come together as one united people. It’s time. I pledge to every citizen of our land that I will be president for all of Americans, and this is so important to me.

For those who have chosen not to support me in the past, of which there were a few people, I'm reaching out to you for your guidance and your help so that we can work together and unify our great country.

DJT's White House, last night: "Jewish Congressional Democrats not invited to Trump White House Hanukkah party" - "Congressional Democrats, as well as Jewish leaders who have been critical of Trump, were excluded from receiving invitations this year, The New York Times reported."

Same ol’ petty Trump......
“Today I saw one of those places, saw it in all of its horror, all its filth, all its death.”
Soldier entering the Ohrdruf Concentration Camp.

Upton_O_Goode
Persistent Poster

Postby Upton_O_Goode » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:16 pm

Statistical Mechanic wrote:DJT, victory speech, 8 November 2016:

Well, he has to distance himself from known sexual predators like Al Franken. The President must be above suspicion.

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:51 pm

A comment I keep reading is that, because the MN Senate seat is safely Democratic, it was pretty easy for the Democrats to push Franken out.

Three points:
1) The vote for this seat in 2008 was Franken 1,212,629 to Norm Coleman 1,212,317 - a margin of 312 votes out of nearly 2.5 million.
2) The Democratic governor said he will make an interim appointment of a caretaker who will agree not to run for the seat in the November 2018 special election; thus, the Democrats with this decision of the governor cede the possible power of incumbency.
3) I've read that Norm Coleman and Tim Pawlenty have said that they won't run but MN observers see them as possible, also some strong congressmen and the Republican speaker of the MN House.

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:39 pm

interesting on Wikileaks

Upton_O_Goode
Persistent Poster

Postby Upton_O_Goode » Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:24 pm

Hmmm, the usual pattern is emerging here, with total denial, "knew nothing about it," "never met the man," etc. How long before that gets walked back to "Oh THAT guy. Yeah, I knew him, but anybody else would have done what I did. No foul here" ?

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:07 pm

Statistical Mechanic wrote:interesting on Wikileaks

whoopsie - WaPo trashed this CNN report

Upton_O_Goode
Persistent Poster

Postby Upton_O_Goode » Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:47 pm

Another item for my worry list. (The title of this article reminds me that when the play "The Madness of George III" was made into a movie, the title was changed to "The Madness of King George," the reason being that the original title would make Americans think they had missed parts I and II, and so they wouldn't come out to see this one; plus the fact that Americans KNOW only one King George, having missed that whole Hanoverian succession thing back in the early 18th century.)

And here's a list of holiday books, which you can read before you hit the paywall at this site.

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:23 pm

I hit the danged paywall with that click! I was able to see one title by Peter Temin, who in 1969 wrote a thought-provoking (dare I say) revisionist book on the Jacksonian economy; back then Temin was a cliometrician. Although I didn't agree with all his conclusions, Temin wrote a worthy book - something I would not say about Fogel and Engerman's econometric study of slavery, Time on the Cross, which was critiqued by Herb Gutman in Slavery and the Numbers Game and elsewhere. But Temin's book, The Jacksonian Economy, which argued that the Jacksonian bank wars had less economic impact than historians had thought, was quite interesting and had significant impact.

Upton_O_Goode
Persistent Poster

Postby Upton_O_Goode » Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:35 pm

I apologize for the bad drafting. Rereading this post, I realized the sentence could also be interpreted as saying you could read the books themselves before hitting the paywall. I meant, of course, you could read the list of titles, not the books themselves.

Anyway, here's the full list of titles:

Walter Scheidel,The Great Leveler: Violence and the History of Inequality from the Stone Age to the Twenty-First Century, Princeton University Press, 2017

Branko Milanovic, Global Inequality: A New Approach for the Age of Globalization, Harvard University Press, 2016

Peter Temin, The Vanishing Middle Class: Prejudice and Power in a Dual Economy, MIT Press, 2017

Keith Payne, The Broken Ladder: How Inequality Affects the Way We Think, Live, and Die, Viking, 2017

Chrystia Freeland, Plutocrats: The Rise of the New Global Super-Rich and the Fall of Everyone Else, Penguin Press, 2012

I've seen the Temin book at our public library, but I haven't read any of these.

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:32 pm

I won't feel safe until Clinton is locked up.

We have the best president since Lincoln. Believe me. Since slavery, when America was great. Trump called it, "I said, you mean I beat Abraham Lincoln? That's pretty good for 10 months."

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: something

Postby scrmbldggs » Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:20 pm

Good thing he considers theater lowbrow...

Lard, save me from your followers.

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: something

Postby scrmbldggs » Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:20 am

:nuts: This is for Upton.

Lard, save me from your followers.

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:47 am

scrmbldggs wrote::nuts: This is for Upton.

“When Jesus comes back, all the Jews will be killed.”

Wow, this whole recognition of Jerusalem is going to end really badly for them, then.
“Today I saw one of those places, saw it in all of its horror, all its filth, all its death.”

Balmoral95
Frequent Poster

Postby Balmoral95 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:07 am

Jeffk 1970 wrote:

Wow, this whole recognition of Jerusalem is going to end really badly for them, then.

God or evangelicals, we ain't going quietly this time.

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:11 am

LOL

Balmoral95
Frequent Poster

Postby Balmoral95 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:27 am

In case y'all need some extra cash for the holidays (removing old files is so much fun):

https://people.well.com/user/justpat/bodyparts.pdf

Upton_O_Goode
Persistent Poster

Postby Upton_O_Goode » Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:48 pm

Many thanks.

A wonderful voice of sanity, willing to call lunacy by its rightful name. And therefore completely uninfluential. We are totally screwed:

From The Devil's Dictionary: friendless, adj. (1) Devoid of fortune. (2) Having no favors to bestow. (3) Addicted to the utterance of truth and common sense.

Upton_O_Goode
Persistent Poster

Postby Upton_O_Goode » Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:53 pm

Balmoral95 wrote:
Jeffk 1970 wrote:

God or evangelicals, we ain't going quietly this time.

For sure. The new model isn't the Masada. It's Samson.

Of course, Adelson and other Jewish Zionists know the Christian Zionists are batshit insane, so they don't mind at all that these morons think all the Jews will be killed or converted. As long as they support the Zionist program, what else they believe is a matter of indifference to Adelson.

But this move is liable to trigger a lot of violence, and certainly it perpetuates the mutual bloodletting far, far into the future, until it becomes a way of life (if it hasn't already) for both Israelis and their neighbors. So, we're going to get some real deaths here of Israeli Jews and Palestinian Muslims and Christians. That will be the price of this move, which is certainly seen as a provocation by Muslims, albeit one that the Saudis and Iranians (for opposite reasons) are glad to see.

Upton_O_Goode
Persistent Poster

Postby Upton_O_Goode » Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:57 pm

Balmoral95 wrote:In case y'all need some extra cash for the holidays (removing old files is so much fun):

https://people.well.com/user/justpat/bodyparts.pdf

Holy {!#%@}!! I wonder how much Dr. Frankenstein would pay for my brain (like new, never been used)? My wife says I function without it most of the time.

Ian Hazard
Poster

Postby Ian Hazard » Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:03 pm

How much longer are you butt hurt libtards going to keep sulking like spoiled brats about losing the election?

"At CNN, Retracted Story Leaves an Elite Reporting Team Bruised"

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/05/busi ... mucci.html

"Cable news networks just can’t seem to get their facts straight when it comes to publishing purportedly damning reports about the Trump campaign’s efforts to “collude” with the Russians."

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-12-0 ... nd-wikilea

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:22 pm

Not a liberal and don't speak for liberals.

"When both parties hate you, America loves you." But what about when almost 2/3 of the people can't stand you . . . and, of course, Republicans don't hate Trump, some having made peace with him to put across conservative policy, others embracing him.

>> Latest Pew Poll: approve Trump 32%, disapprove Trump 63%.

Ah, he's still over 50% among sewer creatures, Republicans, and white evangelicals, although sinking faster than Natalie Wood among the evangelicals. Sure, Roy Moore will win in Alabama, but then again, Alabama and Trump Country . . .

It would seem that 1) "America" is a dwindling concept if you define America as Ian does as those who love the Orange Pustule, 2) it is far more than "libtards" (about 1/4 of Americans are "liberals") who see through the clown in the White House, and 3) even Trumpies are beginning to lose patience with their wet fart.

I've been wondering about Ian's lot - how will they square the circle when Jared's peace plan leaves the Palestinians with nothing and the Saudis selling them out? how about that tax bill making the rich and affluent better off?

But we can say "Merry Christmas" again, after years of Islamic-atheist-Marxist censorship . . .

Return to “Holocaust Denial”