It's the Donnydämmerung! (new Trump thread)

Holocaust denial and related subjects.
Statistical Mechanic
Has No Life
Custom Title: Dostawca - sciany tekstu

Re: It's the Donnydämmerung! (new Trump thread)

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Thu May 18, 2017 8:27 pm

Speaking of visitors from Plant Delusion, Trump today told David Muir (ABC) that the appointment of a special counsel in Russia matters
hurts our country terribly, because it shows we’re a divided, mixed-up, not-unified country. . . .That’s all this is. I think it shows division, and it shows that we’re not together as a country. And I think it’s a very, very negative thing. And hopefully, this can go quickly.
This dumbass thinks that he and he alone unified the country by being elected with fewer popular votes than his opponent, pursuing unpopular policies - unpopular even with his base, ranting and raving like a lunatic, making wild charges and vilifying anyone who is not him, languishing in the polls around historically low 40% approval, and pissing off even his allies with his corruption and reckless governance. Jesus wept.
. . . I mean Negative Capability, that is, when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact and reason—Coleridge, for instance, would let go by a fine isolated verisimilitude caught from the Penetralium of mystery, from being incapable of remaining content with half-knowledge. - John Keats, 1817

Statistical Mechanic
Has No Life

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Thu May 18, 2017 8:31 pm

Statistical Mechanic wrote:Whilst conservatives whisper President Pence, according to POLITICO, this: !

!!
. . . I mean Negative Capability, that is, when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact and reason—Coleridge, for instance, would let go by a fine isolated verisimilitude caught from the Penetralium of mystery, from being incapable of remaining content with half-knowledge. - John Keats, 1817

Upton_O_Goode
Veteran Poster
Custom Title: Dear [Salutation][First Name]

Postby Upton_O_Goode » Thu May 18, 2017 8:33 pm

Jeffk 1970 wrote:US Air Force attacked Assad forces in Syria:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/middle-east/syria-air-strike-bombing-assad-forces-trump-attack-us-white-house-latest-news-updates-a7743641.html

This was a reaction to Assad's forces crossing a "de-confliction zone."

It got his numbers up before, and the big bomb in Afghanistan gave him another boost, so now he's adding more troops in Afghanistan and making air strikes in Syria, both at once. It won't work this time. His numbers are not going up. And, if Putin reacts to this the way I THINK he will, this is going to be very bad news for everybody in the world. Maybe Putin will finally realize that this asset is too high-maintenance to keep, and he'll issue a revised transcript of that Oval Office meeting last week.
"Reserve a part of your wrath ; you have not seen the worst yet. You suppose that this war has been a criminal blunder and an exceptional horror ; you imagine that before long reason will prevail, and all these inferior people that govern the world will be swept aside, and your own party will reform everything and remain always in office. You are mistaken."

George Santayana, "Tipperary" (1918)

Statistical Mechanic
Has No Life

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Thu May 18, 2017 8:34 pm

One right-wing talking point has been that the FBI investigation is "counter-intelligence" not "criminal." They insist on this.

Lindsey Graham after Rosenstein's closed Senate testimony: “The takeaway I have is that everything he said was that you need to treat this investigation as if it may be a criminal investigation.” As if it may be? Is? Hunh?

Statistical Mechanic
Has No Life

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Thu May 18, 2017 8:36 pm

Upton_O_Goode wrote:
Jeffk 1970 wrote:US Air Force attacked Assad forces in Syria:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/middle-east/syria-air-strike-bombing-assad-forces-trump-attack-us-white-house-latest-news-updates-a7743641.html

This was a reaction to Assad's forces crossing a "de-confliction zone."

It got his numbers up before, and the big bomb in Afghanistan gave him another boost, so now he's adding more troops in Afghanistan and making air strikes in Syria, both at once. It won't work this time. His numbers are not going up. And, if Putin reacts to this the way I THINK he will, this is going to be very bad news for everybody in the world. Maybe Putin will finally realize that this asset is too high-maintenance to keep, and he'll issue a revised transcript of that Oval Office meeting last week.

Upton_O_Goode
Veteran Poster

Postby Upton_O_Goode » Thu May 18, 2017 8:38 pm

Statistical Mechanic wrote:Speaking of visitors from Plant Delusion, Trump today told David Muir (ABC) that the appointment of a special counsel in Russia matters
hurts our country terribly, because it shows we’re a divided, mixed-up, not-unified country. . . .That’s all this is. I think it shows division, and it shows that we’re not together as a country. And I think it’s a very, very negative thing. And hopefully, this can go quickly.
This dumbass thinks that he and he alone unified the country by being elected with fewer popular votes than his opponent, pursuing unpopular policies - unpopular even with his base, ranting and raving like a lunatic, making wild charges and vilifying anyone who is not him, languishing in the polls around historically low 40% approval, and pissing off even his allies with his corruption and reckless governance. Jesus wept.

Incredible!! The most vicious, vindictive President in history accuses OTHER people of being divisive. Even worse, he's worried that we're not all keeping up a harmonious front in order to look good to the world. The man who has made us look worse than any President in history worries that other people are making us look bad.
"Reserve a part of your wrath ; you have not seen the worst yet. You suppose that this war has been a criminal blunder and an exceptional horror ; you imagine that before long reason will prevail, and all these inferior people that govern the world will be swept aside, and your own party will reform everything and remain always in office. You are mistaken."

Upton_O_Goode
Veteran Poster

Postby Upton_O_Goode » Thu May 18, 2017 8:38 pm

Duplicate post.
Last edited by Upton_O_Goode on Fri May 19, 2017 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Upton_O_Goode
Veteran Poster

Postby Upton_O_Goode » Thu May 18, 2017 8:40 pm

A special tribute from Time magazine to the man who has "made the cover of Time more than any other President in history."

Statistical Mechanic
Has No Life

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Thu May 18, 2017 8:41 pm

Reuters is reporting that the strike wasn't on Syrian government troops but on a militia backed by Assad.

Statistical Mechanic
Has No Life

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Thu May 18, 2017 8:42 pm

Upton_O_Goode wrote:A special tribute from Time magazine to the man who has "made the cover of Time more than any other President in history."

Ouch.

Statistical Mechanic
Has No Life

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Thu May 18, 2017 8:44 pm

Why not? They paid for it, and they should get what they paid for.

Xcalibur
Frequent Poster

Postby Xcalibur » Thu May 18, 2017 8:51 pm

Statistical Mechanic
Has No Life

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Thu May 18, 2017 9:01 pm

Trump apparently wants Lieberman for FBI. Sen Blumenthal, from CT, last night on CNN was asked about his thoughts on his colleague from Connecticut and said that appointing a political person for the job would be a mistake. He was polite and restrained but seemed to be ready to puke.

Xcalibur
Frequent Poster

Postby Xcalibur » Thu May 18, 2017 9:06 pm

Statistical Mechanic wrote:Trump apparently wants Lieberman for FBI. Sen Blumenthal, from CT, last night on CNN was asked about his thoughts on his colleague from Connecticut and said that appointing a political person for the job would be a mistake. He was polite and restrained but seemed to be ready to puke.

Same with McCaskill a couple hours ago.

Statistical Mechanic
Has No Life

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Thu May 18, 2017 9:06 pm

Puke? LOL

Xcalibur
Frequent Poster

Postby Xcalibur » Thu May 18, 2017 9:07 pm

Statistical Mechanic wrote:Puke? LOL

Pretty much. :mrgreen:

Statistical Mechanic
Has No Life

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Thu May 18, 2017 9:29 pm

OutOfBreath wrote:
Statistical Mechanic wrote:We Americans are a strange people. Today's Gallup tracker shows a 1 pt improvement in Trump's standing: 38 approve, 56 disapprove.

Basically, some 1% of those who disapproved a day ago heard that the president will now be investigated by a special counsel, and that more and more crap is coming out on his dealings, and decided, "I guess I don't really disapprove of what he's doing after all." Or maybe news travels slowly to Palookaville?

You know, a few percentage points up or down like that should read like stability. Trump astonishingly has a solid core at 35-40 percent it seems.

Thought Id just point out that commenting tick by tick on such surveys isnt really methodologically sound.

Peace
Dan

This is interesting, from McClatchy on the most recent Monmouth polling:
The president saw his biggest drop in both approval and disapproval in swing counties, defined as places in which he won November’s election by single digits. In those 300 counties, only 34 percent approve of the president, down from 41 percent in March. Fifty-four percent disapprove of him now, while only 46 percent did in March. This could spell trouble for Republicans, who have thus far hesitated to denounce the president outright.

“Trump has been losing support in the places that matter most,” said Patrick Murray, director of the independent Monmouth University Polling Institute. . . .

The president’s die-hard supporters have yet to abandon him amid the scandals, with the president’s approval rating in counties where he won by 10 points or more dropping only slightly. Today, 51 percent of people approve of him in those 2,500 counties, while 55 percent did in March.

McClatchy also reports that Republican donors are thoroughly spooked as are more and more establishment types who boarded the DJT Express reluctantly and late (that is, after their candidates were ridiculed, pummeled, and flattened by Trump) .

Statistical Mechanic
Has No Life

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Thu May 18, 2017 9:51 pm

He's still serving up cray-cray. Asked in his press conference with the president of Colombia today about the collusion possibility, Trump said that there was no collusion, adding “I can always speak for myself and the Russians.” So. He can't speak for his campaign? The one he headed? He hasn't bothered asking . . . ?

Trump flat-out ("No, no. Next question") denied ever asking Comey to back off on the Flynn investigation. We will see. I am a betting person, and I know where I'd put my money. We can wait.

Statistical Mechanic
Has No Life

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Thu May 18, 2017 10:06 pm

Statistical Mechanic wrote:The second nice touch is more worrisome for Ryan IMO. There were not many people in that confab, a handful of bigwigs and their aides. Someone from that group told the WaPo about what was said and the tape. That's ugly . . . and it is "family" in the dysfunctional sense :) But who will be telling which media organization what next?

more on this

Statistical Mechanic
Has No Life

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Thu May 18, 2017 10:25 pm

In his press conference, the incoherent nitwit went back to pinning the Comey firing on Rod Rosenstein's memo (Rosenstein told Congress today that the memo was only written after he was told that Trump would be firing Comey, but in Trump's White House time's arrow travels this way and that).

But back to Trump's collusion denial. The words he uttered can be deciphered in multiple ways and verge on meaning nothing: “There is no collusion between certainly myself and my campaign, but I can always speak for myself and the Russians, zero.”

Trump seemed tired and depressed in the press conference.

scrmbldggs
Has No Life
Custom Title: something

Postby scrmbldggs » Thu May 18, 2017 10:32 pm

'Is' is the operative word here? He's talking about today?

And he hates traveling?

And, there's a video of the "attack on the bodyguards" at the embassy.

Lard, save me from your followers.

Statistical Mechanic
Has No Life

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Thu May 18, 2017 10:38 pm

I think that "is" is one of his verbal tics. But who knows? The campaign "is" no longer . . . LoL

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Thu May 18, 2017 10:46 pm

There's a new never-ending one, isn't there? And is he tweeting here that "wrongdoing" of others was ignored but that the poor little victim's wrongdoing isn't? "With all of the illegal acts that took place in the Clinton campaign & Obama administration, there was never a special councel [sic] appointed!" :-P

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Thu May 18, 2017 10:52 pm

I think you posted about this already, StatMech, right? Senators told of broadening Russia investigation

According to lawmakers, Rosenstein confirmed that the bureau’s investigation into Russian interference in the election is no longer strictly a counterintelligence investigation — a kind of probe that does not normally result in charges — but also a criminal one.

Statistical Mechanic
Has No Life

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Thu May 18, 2017 10:53 pm

scrmbldggs wrote:I think you posted about this already, StatMech, right? Senators told of broadening Russia investigation

According to lawmakers, Rosenstein confirmed that the bureau’s investigation into Russian interference in the election is no longer strictly a counterintelligence investigation — a kind of probe that does not normally result in charges — but also a criminal one.

Yes, quoting Lindsey Graham, although he was less clear than The Hill's statement.

Statistical Mechanic
Has No Life

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Thu May 18, 2017 10:57 pm

It took a day but the White House has just issued a denial of the NY Times story that Flynn told McGahn he was a subject of an FBI investigation on 4 January; Pence has already denied that he knew (many news organizations are slapping Pence on this, making the same point I did, if he didn't know, he should have given his role and responsibilities).

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Thu May 18, 2017 10:58 pm

How do they know, and since when do they not know it?

Time someone checks the air on the landing gear, or gets one of these?

Statistical Mechanic
Has No Life

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Thu May 18, 2017 11:04 pm

What the . . . ?
At one recent meeting, Seema Verma, whom Trump picked to oversee the federal Medicare and Medicaid programs, stunned insurance industry officials by suggesting a bargain: The administration would fund the [Obamacare] CSRs if insurers supported the House Republican bill to repeal the Affordable Care Act.

“It made no sense,” said one official at the meeting.

Statistical Mechanic
Has No Life

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Thu May 18, 2017 11:07 pm

scrmbldggs wrote:'Is' is the operative word here? He's talking about today?

Having now several times watched video of Trump's saying “There is no collusion between certainly myself and my campaign, but I can always speak for myself and the Russians, zero,” I take the statement, with its bewildering syntax, as Trump's near-confession: the coordination and collusion during my campaign didn't involve "myself" with the Russians; I am now throwing others under the bus, ha ha.

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Thu May 18, 2017 11:15 pm

Did we have this posted before? (Probably, but I lost track :pardon:)

Ukrainian oligarch could be missing link in Trump-Russia probe

Or this?

House held back ObamaCare repeal bill for potential second vote
The House, despite passing the repeal bill two weeks ago, is waiting to send the legislation to the Senate until the nonpartisan Congressional Budget Office produces its analysis of the bill.

There is at least some possibility that the new CBO score of the revised bill would find that the measure no longer reduces the deficit, meaning that it does not meet Senate rules governing the reconciliation process...

Statistical Mechanic
Has No Life

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Thu May 18, 2017 11:21 pm

Statistical Mechanic wrote:
scrmbldggs wrote:I think you posted about this already, StatMech, right? Senators told of broadening Russia investigation

Yes, quoting Lindsey Graham, although he was less clear than The Hill's statement.

A little more:

From Rod Rosenstein's order: "If the Special Counsel believes it is necessary and appropriate, the Special Counsel is authorized to prosecute federal crimes arising from the investigation of these matters."

From 28 U.S.C. § 600.1:
Grounds for appointing a Special Counsel.
The Attorney General, or in cases in which the Attorney General is recused, the Acting Attorney General, will appoint a Special Counsel when he or she determines that criminal investigation of a person or matter is warranted and -
(a) That investigation or prosecution of that person or matter by a United States Attorney's Office or litigating Division of the Department of Justice would present a conflict of interest for the Department or other extraordinary circumstances; and
(b) That under the circumstances, it would be in the public interest to appoint an outside Special Counsel to assume responsibility for the matter.

I don't see how this appointment is not about a criminal investigation. In fact, not counter-intelligence but criminal matters seem to be both the ground for and primary focus of Mueller's appointment.

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Thu May 18, 2017 11:28 pm

Statistical Mechanic
Has No Life

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Thu May 18, 2017 11:36 pm

Lots of hand-wringing about the House and Senate committee work being undermined by Mueller. What work? In the House, it was a Trump coverup operation until it became nothing. In the Senate, it's edging into motion but with Burr in charge, I don't expect any great findings. Both committees are Republican tools to maintain control.

Statistical Mechanic
Has No Life

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Thu May 18, 2017 11:38 pm

The Erdogan visit went well.

Xcalibur
Frequent Poster

Postby Xcalibur » Thu May 18, 2017 11:41 pm

Statistical Mechanic wrote:The Erdogan visit went well.

Apparently so too did the Columbian president's visit... at least til Trump started talking about the economy of Venezuela...

Statistical Mechanic
Has No Life

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Thu May 18, 2017 11:42 pm

full disclosure: I started reading BRoI's latest "Dachau" post and began to drift off, as it was boring me to tears. Instead I found links for the US Code pertaining to the authority under which a special counsel is appointed. Reading the statute and legalese was far more interesting and informative than making my way through another example of charges of maltreatment of prisoners after the war, etc, so I read on and then posted about what I found.

Statistical Mechanic
Has No Life

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Thu May 18, 2017 11:50 pm

From The Daily Beast:
Several sources close to Flynn and to the administration tell The Daily Beast that Trump has expressed his hopes that a resolution of the FBI’s investigation in Flynn’s favor might allow Flynn to rejoin the White House in some capacity—a scenario some of Trump’s closest advisers in and outside the West Wing have assured him absolutely should not happen.

Statistical Mechanic
Has No Life

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Fri May 19, 2017 12:00 am

Dystopian musing. Part I. Part II.

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Fri May 19, 2017 12:04 am

Statistical Mechanic wrote:Lots of hand-wringing about the House and Senate committee work being undermined by Mueller. What work? In the House, it was a Trump coverup operation until it became nothing. In the Senate, it's edging into motion but with Burr in charge, I don't expect any great findings. Both committees are Republican tools to maintain control.

We probably wouldn't understand the objective of their now hampered efforts. ;)

Return to “Holocaust Denial”