It's the Donnydämmerung! (new Trump thread)

Where no two people are likely to agree.
Upton_O_Goode
Perpetual Poster
Custom Title: Unlimited_Oracular_Guidance

Re: It's the Donnydämmerung! (new Trump thread)

Postby Upton_O_Goode » Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:11 pm

Statistical Mechanic wrote:Julian Borger is not impressed re: Syria: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/ ... attlefield

This man is utterly TONE DEAF! Does he have no memory of the previous use of "Mission accomplished"?
"Still, doubts gnawed at everyone. And under no circumstances could I acknowledge my own similar doubts. In order to coax the participants into psychic stability, I had to appear to be rock-solidly convinced of the necessity of carrying out this horrifyingly cruel command."

Rudolf Höß, hanged facing Auschwitz, the camp he commanded, in April 1947. He admitted to 1.1 to 1.5 million murders carried out under his command. Eichmann told him the number was 2.5 million.

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Dostawca - sciany tekstu

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:15 pm

Upton_O_Goode wrote:
Statistical Mechanic wrote:Julian Borger is not impressed re: Syria: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/ ... attlefield

This man is utterly TONE DEAF! Does he have no memory of the previous use of "Mission accomplished"?

Matt Yglesias: "Mission Accomplished! What happens when history repeats but it was farce the first time?"

Carlos Lozada: "I think there is a banner he can borrow"

Patrick S. Tomlinson: "We're still fighting the last war that was 'Mission Accomplished.'"
"It was still at the stage of clubs and fists, hurrah, tala"

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Custom Title: bobbo da existential pragmatist

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:32 pm

A mission is a mission. A mission is not a war although Bush did make this misnomer. If a given mission's objective is gained....it by definition is accomplished. Evidently.... the mission here was to bomb certain factories and other locations? Lots of missions don't get accomplished. Bay of Pigs, Iran Hostage Rescue: not accomplished.

Truth should always be our guide.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:35 pm

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 8K Posts

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:39 pm

Da fuq is wrong with this guy????? Is the expectation that schools are the only deterrent to kids being sexually abused or exposed to crime? What happens before or after school? During the weekends, summertime or holiday breaks?

https://www.cnn.com/2018/04/14/politics/kentucky-matt-bevin-teachers-strike/index.html
A joke going around Moscow during The Great Terror:

The NKVD knocks on a door.
The inhabitants ask who it is.
“NKVD.”
“You’ve got the wrong apartment. The Communists are upstairs.”

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 8K Posts

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:48 pm

“NKVD.”

TJrandom
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:24 pm

Upton_O_Goode wrote:

Me thinks his mission was to fire up his base and appear to be presidential. Nuttin to do with Syria, ‘cepting in a tangential sense.

Balmoral95
Veteran Poster

Postby Balmoral95 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:28 pm

TJrandom wrote:
Upton_O_Goode wrote:

Me thinks his mission was to fire up his base and appear to be presidential. Nuttin to do with Syria, ‘cepting in a tangential sense.

He fired 'em up in the wrong direction:

http://thehill.com/homenews/media/38314 ... ile-strike

Balmoral95
Veteran Poster

Postby Balmoral95 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:38 pm

Statistical Mechanic wrote:
Upton_O_Goode wrote:

Matt Yglesias: "Mission Accomplished! What happens when history repeats but it was farce the first time?"

Carlos Lozada: "I think there is a banner he can borrow"

Patrick S. Tomlinson: "We're still fighting the last war that was 'Mission Accomplished.'"

No one mentioning "Mission Creep"...

TJrandom
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:43 pm

Balmoral95 wrote:
TJrandom wrote:
Upton_O_Goode wrote:

http://thehill.com/homenews/media/38314 ... ile-strike.

That is odd indeed. I thought they would have been all for a weapons development test.

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: something

Postby scrmbldggs » Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:44 am

...or for firing Mueller (or any of the other favorite targets)...

Lard, save me from your followers.

Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Postby Gord » Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:45 am

TJrandom wrote:
Balmoral95 wrote:
TJrandom wrote:
Upton_O_Goode wrote:

That is odd indeed. I thought they would have been all for a weapons development test.

Maybe they were told to distance themselves from Trump so he cold hog the limelight and look all-important to his base.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 8K Posts

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:00 am

Balmoral95 wrote:
TJrandom wrote:
Upton_O_Goode wrote:

http://thehill.com/homenews/media/38314 ... ile-strike

Infowars’s Alex Jones broke down in tears while speaking out against the military action.

“If he had been a piece of crap from the beginning, it wouldn’t be so bad,” Jones said of Trump. “We’ve made so many sacrifices and now he’s crapping all over us. It makes me sick."

I don’t know if I should vomit or laugh at the thought of the slightly skinnier Rush Limbaugh clone breaking down and weeping like a guilty televangelist.

“NKVD.”

Balmoral95
Veteran Poster

Postby Balmoral95 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:16 am

Gord wrote:
TJrandom wrote:
Balmoral95 wrote:
TJrandom wrote:
Upton_O_Goode wrote:

Maybe they were told to distance themselves from Trump so he cold hog the limelight and look all-important to his base.

I think not. That pack of whackaloons mentioned in the article became true believers the day he ascended to the nomination.

Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Postby Gord » Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:44 am

scrmbldggs wrote:...or for firing Mueller (or any of the other favorite targets)...

Trump's a joke wrote: • 4 days ago

LMAO someone forget to tell Dobbs that Twitter cancelled the accounts of Russian trolls which made the results of this poll predictable to everyone but him

I hadn't thought of that! :heh:
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

Balmoral95
Veteran Poster

Postby Balmoral95 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:07 am

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 8K Posts

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:25 am

Looks like they got what they voted for.

“NKVD.”

TJrandom
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:08 am

There would be high demand for small cars if large fuel inefficient cars were taxed out of existence. Lower road deaths, lower carbon emissions, better chance at export markets…

Upton_O_Goode
Perpetual Poster

Postby Upton_O_Goode » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:25 am

I've been wondering about this myself. When will some electable Democrat get a spine stiff enough to stand up for a truly liberal agenda?
"Still, doubts gnawed at everyone. And under no circumstances could I acknowledge my own similar doubts. In order to coax the participants into psychic stability, I had to appear to be rock-solidly convinced of the necessity of carrying out this horrifyingly cruel command."

Rudolf Höß, hanged facing Auschwitz, the camp he commanded, in April 1947. He admitted to 1.1 to 1.5 million murders carried out under his command. Eichmann told him the number was 2.5 million.

Upton_O_Goode
Perpetual Poster

Postby Upton_O_Goode » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:32 am

Oops, never mind. I now see that StatMech already put in the link I had posted.
Last edited by Upton_O_Goode on Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:50 am, edited 2 times in total.

Upton_O_Goode
Perpetual Poster

Postby Upton_O_Goode » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:36 am

Jeffk 1970 wrote:

Looks like they got what they voted for.

But when will they finally realize it? My Trump-supporting neighbor, who is college-educated and formerly taught history in high school, is just appalled at the violence being perpetrated by the Left. He doesn't notice the myriad examples of murderous violence against Muslims in the US, or even people like Hindus, Sikhs, and Christian Arabs who get mistaken for Muslims by trigger-happy, hate-filled bigots. And he doesn't notice that the Oval Office now serves the only President in living memory who repeatedly incited violence on the part of his followers and the police. I hope Trump's support will soon be down to this guy and Sean Hannity and maybe Lou Dobbs, but this is a very faint hope.

Upton_O_Goode
Perpetual Poster

Postby Upton_O_Goode » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:42 am

Jeez! What's the criterion for getting a job in this White House? The people get crazier every time there's a change of regime, that is to say, every other day.

Upton_O_Goode
Perpetual Poster

Postby Upton_O_Goode » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:52 am

Statistical Mechanic wrote:Richard Spencer kicked off Facebook

He'll probably claim he's being censored and his First Amendment rights are being violated. That's the usual argument of people who conflate freedom of expression with the right to use a platform for speech. At the very least, he'll claim people are Afraid of the Truth.

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:58 pm

Trump approval

15 April 2017:
41.4 / 51.7 (-10.3)

15 April 2018
42.8 / 53.7 (-10.9)

Real Clear Politics

From his end of last year lows, Trump has recovered, according to WaPo, among whites in general, rural whites, whites without college degrees, white men without college degrees, and conservatives. It's a white thing, you wouldn't understand

What would he have to do to have the bottom fall out? He's tried everything!

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:30 pm

Upton_O_Goode wrote:I've been wondering about this myself. When will some electable Democrat get a spine stiff enough to stand up for a truly liberal agenda?

it isn't a matter of spine but of self-defined interests and viewpoint? and strategic calculation?

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:54 pm

OTOH, a single poll, from NBC, reverts to form:
President Trump’s job approval rating slipped 4 points in a new NBC News/Wall Street Journal poll.

Thirty-nine percent of respondents now approve of the job the president is doing, compared to 57 percent who disapprove.

Trump's support fell among Republicans, whites, men, independents, women and Democrats. He gained support with voters between 18 and 34 years old.

One month ago, Trump’s job approval stood at 43 percent in the poll.

LOL, I do think, if you look at poll averages, there's finally a discernible trend showing modest improvement for Trump.
Last edited by Statistical Mechanic on Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Postby scrmbldggs » Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:55 pm

Statistical Mechanic wrote:...

Grab them by the wallet?

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Postby scrmbldggs » Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:03 pm

Numbers are 42.5 / 54.1 (-11.6) now, with Rasmussen the newest from 4/12...

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Postby scrmbldggs » Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:56 pm

I keep thinking, if the imaginary "Deep State" had wanted to do Dumpy in, Comey/the agencies would have had to just play along with his demands and collect evidence against him/them. One almost wishes they had done that...

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Postby scrmbldggs » Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:34 pm

FAUX sez it's ridiculous to think the inexperienced "politician" should have known about "Mission Accomplished" before tweeting?! :rotfl:

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:23 pm

scrmbldggs wrote:FAUX sez it's ridiculous to think the inexperienced "politician" should have known about "Mission Accomplished" before tweeting?! :rotfl:

Ha ha . . . only two small flaws in that: first, everyone recalls that moment in the light of the follow-up and, second, Bloatus himself is claiming, and I quote, "The Syrian raid was so perfectly carried out, with such precision, that the only way the Fake News Media could demean was by my use of the term “Mission Accomplished.” I knew they would seize on this but felt it is such a great Military term, it should be brought back. Use often!"

So according to FOX he is lying in his tweet?

He has slipped way off into an ugly little world of his own, where he can spew nonsense to his heart's content: https://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/ ... -and-cohen

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:25 pm

scrmbldggs wrote:
Statistical Mechanic wrote:...

Grab them by the wallet?

Then they'd turn further right, all the way to Richard Spencer and Jack Posobiec and Alex Jones? Or stick with Bloatus because libtards, immigrants, and the Democrat party traitors blocked him?

JO 753
Has No Life
Custom Title: rezident owtsidr

Postby JO 753 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:26 pm

Its a sine uv improvement that Huckabee Sanderz sed 'clear' only 3 timez in her interview with Stefanopolis this morning. Uv course, everything she sed wuz a lie.
Gubmint for us
http://www.7532020.com
not the rich.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Custom Title: bobbo da existential pragmatist

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:35 pm

JO 753 wrote:Its a sine uv improvement that Huckabee Sanderz sed 'clear' only 3 timez in her interview with Stefanopolis this morning. Uv course, everything she sed wuz a lie.

Clearly.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Postby scrmbldggs » Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:02 pm

Clearly not 'inside the Situation Room as President is briefed on Syria' :heh:

ETA (About the interview JO mentioned. How much will he go around the bend when it becomes clear that Cohen never was his attorney, that he's just a guy who did much of his dirty work and who also happened to have a law degree?)

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Postby scrmbldggs » Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:20 pm

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:31 pm

scrmbldggs wrote:ETA (About the interview JO mentioned. How much will he go around the bend when it becomes clear that Cohen never was his attorney, that he's just a guy who did much of his dirty work and who also happened to have a law degree?)

You mean that there is no such thing as goombah-client privilege?

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Postby scrmbldggs » Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:46 pm

We will find out on Monday, I guess. :mrgreen:

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:13 pm

Well, thanks to a somewhat patient judge, Mr Cohen has a third shot at coming up with a client list tomorrow:

Upton_O_Goode
Perpetual Poster

Postby Upton_O_Goode » Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:16 pm

Statistical Mechanic wrote: I do think, if you look at poll averages, there's finally a discernible trend showing modest improvement for Trump.

Yes. I ascribe it purely to weariness with the whole scene. People have become numb to his outrages, and nothing can do him any further harm. At least not until Mueller's work is done. We'll see, if we ever get to that point.

Return to “Politics and Government”