It's the Donnydämmerung! (new Trump thread)

Where no two people are likely to agree.
Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Dostawca - sciany tekstu

Re: It's the Donnydämmerung! (new Trump thread)

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:34 pm

You know, my dear Colonel General, I don't really believe that the Russians will attack at all. It's all an enormous bluff. - Heinrich Himmler to Heinz Guderian, December 1944

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:01 am

You know, my dear Colonel General, I don't really believe that the Russians will attack at all. It's all an enormous bluff. - Heinrich Himmler to Heinz Guderian, December 1944

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:49 am

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: something

Postby scrmbldggs » Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:13 am

...adding "how can we spin this" so it would appear that Russian meddling had no impact on the election upon learning the intelligence, it would seem that there are some solids floating in that liquid...

Lard, save me from your followers.

Balmoral95
Frequent Poster

Postby Balmoral95 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:17 am

Statistical Mechanic wrote:Image

Time to call Iwanka and tell her to ditch the rubber sheets in a Jersey landfill....

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Postby scrmbldggs » Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:44 am

Pompeo might not make it...

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:52 am

Gotta think he will get some of Heitkamp, Manchin, Donnelly, Tester, McCaskill . . . possibly newbie Doug Jones?

TJrandom
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:48 am

Upton_O_Goode wrote:Believe it or not!

This is not a joke, as witnessed by the following incontrovertible fact:

Compared with N. neonata, the other species in the genus, N. donaldtrumpi male genitalia structures are smaller.

Plus - this rascal Neopalpa donaldtrumpi is no doubt crossing the border without proper authorizations. That wall needs to be topped by a 9-story net.

Upton_O_Goode
Persistent Poster
Custom Title: Roger Willco Overnout

Postby Upton_O_Goode » Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:32 am

I have just sent this note to Vermont's governor Phil Scott:

"Dear Governor Scott,

I am very grateful to you for signing reasonable gun-control legislation, and your integrity in doing so despite vociferous opposition from what is normally a Republican constituency is especially admirable.

For decades now, a hypersensitive group of gun-owners has broadcast its fears of “confiscation” every time even the mildest sensible procedures are proposed. They need to calm down. There is virtually no support at all for prohibiting purchases of sporting guns or guns for personal protection, and there will not be, I am quite sure. I heard such fears expressed more than fifty years ago by commentator Paul Harvey, who said that gun control “makes no more sense than banning automobiles because some are hit-and-run drivers.” No, Mr. Harvey, it makes as much sense as LICENSING drivers and REGISTERING cars. Registration and commonsense background checks are measures unrelated to confiscation of guns.

To show my gratitude, I am going to break with the habit of a lifetime and pledge my vote in the next election to you, even though I disagree with some of your policies. I cast my first ballot for Lyndon Johnson in 1964, and from that day to this have never voted for a Republican. But this issue has festered for so long that I feel it justifies a single-issue vote. It is doubly difficult for me to do this at a time when the leadership of the national Republican Party has embraced the worst President in American history. I justify doing it because of the importance of this single issue, and because I want the remnant of the Republican Party that has NOT embraced Donald Trump to be strengthened. I hope it will coalesce around the Bush family and a few others who remind me of the Republicans I once had so much respect for: Everett Dirksen, Jake Javits, Ken Keating, Nelson Rockefeller, Dwight Eisenhower, and many others whom I remember fondly.

But I begin to ramble. With all best wishes, thank you again."
"I once befriended two little girls from Estonia, who had narrowly escaped death from starvation in a famine. They lived in my family, and of course had plenty to eat. But they spent all their leisure visiting neighbouring farms and stealing potatoes, which they hoarded. Rockefeller, who in his infancy had experienced great poverty, spent his adult life in a similar manner."

--Bertrand Russell, Nobel Prize Acceptance Speech

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:15 pm

another fake-news poll: "JUST IN: American public finds former FBI Dir. James Comey more believable than Pres. Trump, 48-32%, @ABC News/WaPo poll finds. https://abcn.ws/2Hz4KIm "

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:30 pm

I for one can't wait for Pence's presidency. At least we will see competency:
As Vice President Pence prepared to head to Peru on Friday for the Summit of the Americas, his office advertised several events on his itinerary, including “a banquet hosted by President Pedro Pablo Kuczynski of Peru.”

One problem: Kuczynski resigned more than three weeks ago after becoming ensnared in a corruption scandal involving Latin America's largest construction firm.

from WaPo

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:38 pm

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:42 pm

the president's review of Comey's book - a book he will never read - is in: dignified as ever, Trump declares that Comey is "a weak and.....untruthful slime ball."

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 8K Posts

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:13 pm

Keeps getting better and better:
http://m.newson6.com/story.aspx?story=35138380&catId=112042

The teachers ended their strike.
When my son had his barmitzvah, and his wedding, there was no family whatsoever -that’s the way the second and third generation feel the Holocaust, they miss their family. My son hasn’t experienced a family life –having uncles, aunts, grandmothers, grandfathers. There is just that hole.
Edith Baneth
Savage Continent

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Custom Title: bobbo da existential pragmatist

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:28 pm

Comey is an interesting/conflicted person. Highest of water marks when refusing to act on Bush 41 request....then lowest as he violated protocol regarding the Hilary OBVIOUS violation of law, and the COLLUSION of Slick Willey meeting with what's her face. Shabby.

I posted once before the best case scenario is that Comey recognized that no good would come from recommending prosecution of Hillary, so he caved to the pressure that was applied, if not the reality that was appreciated. Then, to save his soul, he added his personal summary of the case showing just how GUILTY Hillary was.

Shakespeare wrote nothing better. I assume: his book doesn't go into this? ..... Ha, ha.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:06 pm

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Postby scrmbldggs » Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:08 pm

TJrandom wrote:
Upton_O_Goode wrote:Believe it or not!

This is not a joke, as witnessed by the following incontrovertible fact:

Compared with N. neonata, the other species in the genus, N. donaldtrumpi male genitalia structures are smaller.

Plus - this rascal Neopalpa donaldtrumpi is no doubt crossing the border without proper authorizations. That wall needs to be topped by a 9-story net.

Another feature: "appears to be evenly disturbed through the year".* Rather fitting, considering atm there's nothing more important than this. :|

* (ever so slightly edited)

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:14 pm

Statistical Mechanic wrote:another fake-news poll: "JUST IN: American public finds former FBI Dir. James Comey more believable than Pres. Trump, 48-32%, @ABC News/WaPo poll finds. https://abcn.ws/2Hz4KIm "

I looked at this poll more closely. It is rather stunning. 69% of respondents approve Mueller's Russia/collusion investigation; 64% are supportive of Mueller’s investigation of Trump’s business practices (crossing the so-called red line); 58% are on board with investigation of Trump's pay offs to various women off in exchange for their silence about their relationships they had with him.

OTOH, as above, fewer than half of respondents find Comey more believable than Trump. Worse for Trump, only 32% believe him over Comey. So respondents do not seem too favorably disposed toward Comey, much as they distrust Trump: which lack of trust in Comey is IMO warranted. Not that he's a slime ball, but Comey - in instances of critical importance, the intersection of Clinton's server and the election - has a record of immensely poor judgment. The Saint Jim stuff is really off base, he's a flawed, not fully reliable protagonist, and I am happy to see these poll respondents not falling for the act - you needn't whitewash Comey to maintain a negative evaluation of the president.

Jonathon Chait has a good summary of the mind-blowing way in which Trump is attacking Comey now for bending to Republican demands at those moments of critical importance during 2016.

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:09 pm

According to the AP, this morning's argument in NY federal district court concerning handling and use of materials seized from Michael Cohen - on the ground that they are protected by attorney-client privilege - was a combined effort by Cohen and Trump . . . "An attorney for the president, Joanna Hendon, told the judge that Trump has 'an acute interest in this matter.'"

The judge hearing this request is Kimba Wood, one of the failed nanny-gate appointments for attorney general made by Bill Clinton.

Apparently Cohen argued that he should have first review of all the materials taken; both Cohen's lawyer and Trump's requested some kind of third party supervision of the materials. The hearing resumes on Monday, according to TPM.

https://apnews.com/671fb11e5b804179a189 ... n-FBI-raid

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Postby scrmbldggs » Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:04 pm

Cohen should get himself on the taint team. :-P

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:24 pm

Trump pardons lying leaker Scooter Libby.

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:26 pm

scrmbldggs wrote:Cohen should get himself on the taint team. :-P

No kidding. The judge’s ruling seems really easy: motion denied, follow regular procedure.

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:11 pm

Jonathon Chait now peelieves: http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/20 ... e-too.html

I think more and more people are becoming peelievers every day.

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:46 pm

This song constitutes the body of an article at WaPo on Paul Ryan dropping out of the 2018 congressional election:

https://youtu.be/WifCzN8BNF4

Weird article, great band. (https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/mon ... b65674bdb9)

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Postby scrmbldggs » Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:59 pm

Sheesh, he's not a robot. Even sympathizing individuals keep picking on Comey for being human and no longer the "unemotional" FBI director. Silly?

TJrandom
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:00 pm

Is it just me? Why would anyone believe that Comey is a liar - when the accusation comes from the liar in chief? ;)

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Postby scrmbldggs » Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:18 pm

David Dennison paid out big time to a former Playboy model with the help of Cohen and supported an abortion. (No, not that David Dennison - this one was a yuge payment...)

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Postby scrmbldggs » Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:24 pm

TJrandom wrote:Is it just me? Why would anyone believe that Comey is a liar - when the accusation comes from the liar in chief? ;)

What, me lyin'? America Is About to Risk a World War to Defend the Credibility of Trump’s Tweets

Mattis’s concerns seem to have made some impression on the president, who tweeted Wednesday that an attack on Syria could come “very soon or not so soon at all!” But at the end of the day, Trump’s aides say he is likely to see defending the integrity of his Twitter feed as more important than avoiding a third world war...

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:32 pm

I just can't keep up any longer - and I am still laid up with time on my effing hands!

Consigliere Michael Cohen arranges $1.6m hush payment to Playboy model impregnated by big time Republican fund raiser - a man who is also, in Josh Marshall's words, "at the center of the part of the Russia probe involving the United Arab Emirates, Qatar and international fixer and convicted pedophile George Nader."

NY Times has copy of DOJ's IG report accusing Andrew McCabe of lack of candor on 4 occasions regarding his authorization of negative media stories on Clinton Foundation

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:34 pm

scrmbldggs wrote:Sheesh, he's not a robot. Even sympathizing individuals keep picking on Comey for being human and no longer the "unemotional" FBI director. Silly?

Nope, not silly, not in my opinion, but deserved. I think Comey's record in all this is quite wanting. I think that Comey put himself in a difficult position by making poor calls during 2016, promoting - and believing in - a mythology about himself that masks his flaws, and exploiting that image. Not a fan.

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:37 pm

scrmbldggs wrote:David Dennison paid out big time to a former Playboy model with the help of Cohen and supported an abortion. (No, not that David Dennison - this one was a yuge payment...)

death penalty?

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:43 pm

Rod Rosenstein expecting to be fired - and confident of his decisions re: Mueller and firing of Comey

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Postby scrmbldggs » Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:11 pm

:hmm: I heard he'd continuously consulted with the DoJ ethics people and no issue was issued?

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:17 pm

that's his story, not the IG's - or Comey's whose testimony undermined McCabe's (which doesn't stop Trump from braying that Comey totally controlled McCabe): I think he's learning the hard way that doing the GOP's dirty work (his hatchet job on the Foundation) doesn't necessarily earn you a damned thing with that bunch

JO 753
Has No Life
Custom Title: rezident owtsidr

Postby JO 753 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:54 pm

scrmbldggs wrote:David Dennison paid out big time to a former Playboy model with the help of Cohen and supported an abortion. (No, not that David Dennison - this one was a yuge payment...)

:shock:

Short list candidates for the top posts at the RNC:

OJ Simpson
Bernie Madoff
David Duke
Jeffrey Epstein
Jerry Sandusky
Mathew Martoma
Adolf Hitler (from the Brazillian Hitler clone factory)
Gubmint for us
http://www.7532020.com
not the rich.

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Postby scrmbldggs » Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:02 pm

Seems Cohen contacted (the lawyer of?) that guy. One has to wonder who recommended he do so...

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:12 pm

scrmbldggs wrote:Seems Cohen contacted (the lawyer of?) that guy. One has to wonder who recommended he do so...

That guy just resigned at deputy finance chair of the Republican National Committee.

Cohen's racket was pretty well honed: the attorney for the Playboy model in this instance was Keith Davidson; the name might ring a bell, as he was also the lawyer for Stormy Daniels when she accepted the $130,000 hush money and for Karen McDougal when she took $150,000 from National Enquirer in the catch and kill scheme - which Cohen played a role in arranging. We didn't drain the swamp; we turned it into a cesspool of corruption which makes the Harding gang look like choirboys in a Presbyterian church.
Last edited by Statistical Mechanic on Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Upton_O_Goode
Persistent Poster

Postby Upton_O_Goode » Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:21 pm

scrmbldggs wrote:
TJrandom wrote:Is it just me? Why would anyone believe that Comey is a liar - when the accusation comes from the liar in chief? ;)

What, me lyin'? America Is About to Risk a World War to Defend the Credibility of Trump’s Tweets

Mattis’s concerns seem to have made some impression on the president, who tweeted Wednesday that an attack on Syria could come “very soon or not so soon at all!” But at the end of the day, Trump’s aides say he is likely to see defending the integrity of his Twitter feed as more important than avoiding a third world war...

As I said, it's a lie that Trump "threatened" a missile strike. He PROMISED one. There are some very wise words in that link, such as these:

The Syrian opposition is an existential threat to Assad’s rule; the United States is not; thus, Assad is willing to deploy chemical weapons to counter the former, even if that means antagonizing the latter. The only way to irrevocably change that calculus would be to persuade Assad to see the U.S. as an existential threat to his regime — and the only way to do that would be to fight a bloody war with Iran and Russia.

So, what does Trump do now? To me, it's obvious what he will do, and it's the same thing he did before: Launch a bunch of missiles in a way that will have minimal military impact on Assad and will not in any way endanger any Russians. Then say, "There! That'll teach 'em!" (And he will clear that with Putin in secret before doing it.)
Last edited by Upton_O_Goode on Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I once befriended two little girls from Estonia, who had narrowly escaped death from starvation in a famine. They lived in my family, and of course had plenty to eat. But they spent all their leisure visiting neighbouring farms and stealing potatoes, which they hoarded. Rockefeller, who in his infancy had experienced great poverty, spent his adult life in a similar manner."

Upton_O_Goode
Persistent Poster

Postby Upton_O_Goode » Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:22 pm

JO 753 wrote:

:shock:

Short list candidates for the top posts at the RNC:

OJ Simpson
Bernie Madoff
David Duke
Jeffrey Epstein
Jerry Sandusky
Mathew Martoma
Adolf Hitler (from the Brazillian Hitler clone factory)

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:26 pm

Upton_O_Goode wrote:So, what does Trump do now? To me, it's obvious what he will do, and it's the same thing he did before: Launch a bunch of missiles in a way that will have minimal military impact on Assad and will not in any way endanger any Russians. Then say, "There! That'll teach 'em!" (And he will clear that with Putin in secret before doing it.)

There's also the most important part of this: tweet about how muscular the US's response is now whereas it was feckless and cowardly under Obama. That is actually fundamental to the new strategy of "missiles once a year, every year."

Return to “Politics and Government”